BMWSportTouring

Ewan McGregor and that other guy

Posted By: UberXY

Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/18/09 09:37 PM

Ewan and Thingy
Posted By: flat_twin

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/19/09 03:04 AM

Well that was fun and I found another "Long Way Round" spoof.
Here

If you enjoyed the original series and have a taste for british humor, you'll like this too
Posted By: AZKomet

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/19/09 03:56 AM

My only questions are: Why? And who has time to do this $hit????? Ok, humor is good.....but really, who has time for this?
Posted By: Rich06FJR1300

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/19/09 10:28 AM

more than likely? attention!
Posted By: XTrooper

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/19/09 11:59 AM

I have to wonder what those two ever accomplished in their lives beyond creating a third-rate parody video?
Posted By: Survived-til-now

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/19/09 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: AZKomet
My only questions are: Why? And who has time to do this $hit????? Ok, humor is good.....but really, who has time for this?

I'll dodge the "Why?" because it leads to wives questioning the value of "rideouts" on the bike, and the value of having motorcycles in the first place.... let's not go there.

I thought it a brilliant parody of the increasingly useless duo's so-called adventures. I enjoyed Long way Round but when Long way Down turned into a lads' day out (except when a wife joined them!) complete with toilet humour, then I lost all respect for them and don't care what they do or don't do!

I particularly liked the stream of support vans following our "heroes" as they set off "unaccompanied into danger".....

The only good Ewan and Charlie have done is boost BMW sales after KTM chickened-out and withdrew support. It was a brilliant move by BMW and I suspect they didn't realise just how successful it would be. Although, utimately, the rush to meet the 1150 GS sales was probably behind the dip in quality of BMW bikes that followed.

I look forward to seeing more p***-taking of these two Hollywood clowns.
Posted By: Selden

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/19/09 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Survived_til_Now
... I enjoyed Long way Round but when Long way Down turned into a lads' day out (except when a wife joined them!) complete with toilet humour, then I lost all respect for them and don't care what they do or don't do!...

The only good Ewan and Charlie have done is boost BMW sales after KTM chickened-out and withdrew support. It was a brilliant move by BMW and I suspect they didn't realise just how successful it would be....

Except for the first and last episodes, I thoroughly enjoyed Long Way Round. Thanks for settling the question of whether I should bother to look for the sequel.

My guess is that KTM had no idea how successful the Long Way... franchise would be, and are kicking themselves for not supporting what, at the time, probably looked like a money pit. 20/20 hindsight, and all that.
Posted By: Dietrich

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/19/09 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Survived_til_Now
Originally Posted By: AZKomet

I'll dodge the "Why?" because it leads to wives questioning the value of "rideouts" on the bike, and the value of having motorcycles in the first place.... let's not go there.

I thought it a brilliant parody of the increasingly useless duo's so-called adventures. I enjoyed Long way Round but when Long way Down turned into a lads' day out (except when a wife joined them!) complete with toilet humour, then I lost all respect for them and don't care what they do or don't do!

I particularly liked the stream of support vans following our "heroes" as they set off "unaccompanied into danger".....

The only good Ewan and Charlie have done is boost BMW sales after KTM chickened-out and withdrew support. It was a brilliant move by BMW and I suspect they didn't realise just how successful it would be. Although, utimately, the rush to meet the 1150 GS sales was probably behind the dip in quality of BMW bikes that followed.

I look forward to seeing more p***-taking of these two Hollywood clowns.

Ditto!
Posted By: Albert

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/20/09 04:21 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed both the Long Way . . . films and look forward to another. Yes, they're not necessarily risking life and limb during their endeavors but that wasn't why I watched them in the first place. For a well filmed traveloge on bikes it delivered (in my opinion). If I wanted a tale of derring do I'd go dig out my old copy of Joshua Slokum's "Sailing Alone Around the World" and read that.
Posted By: DonD

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/21/09 04:04 AM

I liked Long Way Round myself, but thought it was the diversity of people and places that made it fascinating. The 2nd one wasn't nearly as good, and I thought it was b/c the people and places didn't change nearly as much.
Posted By: Caddis

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/21/09 06:32 PM

I'm with Albert. I know that lots of people have criticized and belittled the Long Way trips for different of reasons, but I enjoy them. I don't really care whether they are "hard core" adventures or not. For me, it is just interesting to see parts of the world that I don't know much about, from the perspective of a motorcycle trip. I look forward to the next one.

By the way, I would be interested to hear if there are other motorcycling videos that people think are better. I would like to see some others, but so far, I haven't come across anything that comes close. The only other one that comes to mind is the "Trippin' on Two Wheels" show, but that was more of a big advertisement for whatever bike they were using.
Posted By: UberXY

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/21/09 09:16 PM

Don't know of any other movies, but "One Man Caravan" is the most interesting motorcycle book I have ever read.
Posted By: John Ferris

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/22/09 04:56 AM

Twice upon a caravan is the film he took on that trip in 1933.

Also Mondo Enduro and Terra Circa, thease guys went around the world twice, unsupported, hand held cameras.

http://www.aerostich.com/sundry/dvds

Another one. Exploring the Deserts of the Earth.
Great flim of a 2 1/2 year trip on a R1150GS two-up around the world, just going to the deserts.

http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Deserts-Earth-Michael-Martin/dp/B000NDFHWA
Posted By: workin' them angels

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/22/09 02:39 PM

I just started (last night watched the first 3 episodes) watching the Long Way Round DVD. I"m enjoying it. They obviously have a lot of resources and support that the average rider would not have doing a similar trip. That doesn't make the trip any less significant in my eyes - if I were doing the trip, I'd want as much support as I could have as well. No question that the fact of who they were and what they were doing made a lot of problems go away.

Sure riders get out and get it done with less - much less. But neither do they have the same quality footage that can be wrapped into a TV show. It's been great exposure for BMW and for motorcycling in general.

Well known or not; video footage or not; I respect them all. Their accomplishments and attempts fuel my dreams.

Posted By: ully211

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/23/09 06:46 PM

+1 Al, I loved them!!!
Posted By: R80RTKen

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/23/09 07:35 PM

We viewers benefit from the high-quality filming.. I dont care how rich or supported they were in their trip, it has been fun to watch and talk about.
Posted By: Username

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/24/09 06:02 PM

I liked how in "Long Way Down" they met up with the couple that were doing it in the opposite direction with no supports. Kinda put Charlie and Ewan in their place.
But, I enjoyed both from a motorcycling perspective. "Round" was better than "Down" though.
Posted By: philbytx

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/24/09 09:43 PM

Ewan McGregor is OK but Charlie Boorman has become a "legend in his own mind"!
I recently saw a snippet of his new series "By any means 2" and it was,IMHO, lightweight, overly self-indulgent, self important and, what really po'd me, was the U.S. bashing.
When this journey just happened to"coincide" with the Hiroshima anniversary, his anti-nuclear sentiment was actually lightly veiled U.S. bashing and very front and center.

How soon they forget......
Posted By: Survived-til-now

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 11/27/09 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: philbytx
Ewan McGregor is OK but Charlie Boorman has become a "legend in his own mind"!
I recently saw a snippet of his new series "By any means 2" and it was,IMHO, lightweight, overly self-indulgent, self important and, what really po'd me, was the U.S. bashing.
When this journey just happened to"coincide" with the Hiroshima anniversary, his anti-nuclear sentiment was actually lightly veiled U.S. bashing and very front and center.

How soon they forget......

I didn't see it but I doubt he would go in for overt U.S. bashing. We live in a strange world where people think wars can be won without casualties, politicians now apologise for things in the past that the public at the time were crying out for them to do..... and in the fashion of forgetting what the alternative at the time is/was, he was probably just being "fashionable".

I said in an earlier post that I had no respect for them anymore and I certainly wouldn't attribute anything serious to anything he said on the subject of dropping the nuclear bomb.
Posted By: Caddis

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 06/04/10 01:47 AM

A quick follow-up on this old thread. I have watched a couple more motorcycle adventure DVDs, and thought I would share my opinions.

The first is Mond Enduro. These guys are definitely hard core, and completely self-funded. Their trip was impressive, and they got in and out of some tough situations. So from that perspective, it was worth watching.

However, I had a hard time getting through some parts of it. I assume that the intent was just to document their own trip, rather than to create a high quality production, but I guess I have been spoiled by the high quality production of the Long Way series. Sometimes it was hard to understand what they were saying (OK, part of it was because it was my difficulty with the British accent grin), and it just wasn't very "polished" at all. So for what I was looking for, it fell rather short.

The other one is GlobeRiders Silk Road Adventure. This is all about an organized trip with a bunch of riders who presumably paid quite a bit of money to have the trip planned and organized. So it is definitely NOT as hard core as Mondo Enduro. The production quality of the DVD is very good, and it is somewhat interesting. But it is really like a travel show with lots of talking about the locations that they visit. If you like travel shows, you will probably like this. But I was a bit disappointed that the motorcycle aspect was not particularly interesting. I guess that is to be expected, though, with a trip of this sort.

I am still on the lookout for a motorcycle travel (road or enduro) that comes anywhere close to the entertainment value of the Long Way videos. Anyway, that is my 2 cents.
Posted By: Bheckel169

Re: Ewan McGregor and that other guy - 06/04/10 02:34 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed them and signed up early on to get newsletters as I thought the idea was fun. Next up will be Ewan going down through South America. He's done quite a number of movies so he's taking time off from acting to do this trip. Stay tuned. I just hope he doesn't bring his wife along. She was kind of a whiney type and sort of broke up the camaraderie of the two guys.
Bruce
© 2017 BMWSportTouring Forums