BMWSportTouring

New Member first post. Down Under "Mature" person

Posted By: RaceControl

New Member first post. Down Under "Mature" person - 10/08/17 06:17 AM

Gday mate,

My names Steve. I'm 65yo from Sydney Australia and aold my Honda 1000 yesterday and am looking at buying an R 1200 RT ASAP. I've always liked speed but in my "more mature" years I've come to value comfort and safety more than before. I rode a 2006 R 1200 RT recently and loved it. Especially the way it squatted under brakes - much like the Road Racing car I recently sold. The R1200RT are quite expensive in Australia but I'm looking at buying a 2015 MY R 1200 RT-P ex cop bike with very low mileage at a crazy cheap price.

I did a search but could find nothing relating to late model RT-P single seat to pillion seat conversions. Any chance an Admin/Mod could transfer this to a relevant thread or could anyone who has an answer for me simply post here please?

Is it possible or are the the two models much more different than I suspect?

I know it's an expensive excercise and will probably involve new panniers as well but at the price of the 15 RT-P single seater I don't care.

Is the Sargent twin seat the way to go?

Has anyone here done it?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: mrzoom

Re: New Member first post. Down Under "Mature" person - 10/08/17 01:18 PM

Welcome to the family. RTP's are similar but at the same time different. Electrically they can be a nightmare.
Your seat swap has been done and a search here should find some posts about it.
Do you have good sources of used parts there?? That will help keep costs down.
Good luck..
Posted By: TEWKS

Re: New Member first post. Down Under "Mature" person - 10/08/17 02:12 PM

Hi Steve, welcome to the site! wave It sounds like a pain in the arse to me changing over an RTP into a regular RT. Must be a smoking deal if you are considering going that route. dontknow I will tell you that the difference between a 2006 vs the 2015 is huge! revit

Good luck, keep us informed! thumbsup

Pat
Posted By: RTinNC

Re: New Member first post. Down Under "Mature" person - 10/08/17 04:29 PM

Welcome and congrats on deciding to make the move to the BMW R1200!

This site may help a bit on as relates to the RT-P

http://bmwmc.net/Gallery/Gallery.aspx
Posted By: Bob H.

Re: New Member first post. Down Under "Mature" person - 10/09/17 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by RaceControl
Gday mate,

My names Steve. I'm 65yo from Sydney Australia and aold my Honda 1000 yesterday and am looking at buying an R 1200 RT ASAP. I've always liked speed but in my "more mature" years I've come to value comfort and safety more than before. I rode a 2006 R 1200 RT recently and loved it. Especially the way it squatted under brakes - much like the Road Racing car I recently sold. The R1200RT are quite expensive in Australia but I'm looking at buying a 2015 MY R 1200 RT-P ex cop bike with very low mileage at a crazy cheap price.

I did a search but could find nothing relating to late model RT-P single seat to pillion seat conversions. Any chance an Admin/Mod could transfer this to a relevant thread or could anyone who has an answer for me simply post here please?

Is it possible or are the the two models much more different than I suspect?

I know it's an expensive excercise and will probably involve new panniers as well but at the price of the 15 RT-P single seater I don't care.

Is the Sargent twin seat the way to go?

Has anyone here done it?

Thanks in advance.

I have over 67,000 miles on my Sargent seat and it works like the day I put it on the bike. It is a direct fit no alterations needed , relatively inexpensive compared to custom made seats and comes with a 30 day return policy, so try it out for a few 12 hour days and if it doesn't do what you want you send it back for a full refund . Check it out .
Posted By: EffBee

Re: New Member first post. Down Under "Mature" person - 10/09/17 06:43 PM

Steve, you're trying to do two things here. The first is to introduce yourself. Welcome, by the way. We have many members from Down Under.

The second is to ask a technical question. To get your best results, repost your technical question in the correct forum (since it's a 2105 MY RTP, I suggest you post in the WetHeads forum). That's where you'll get your best replies.

Best wishes. And enjoy your RTP. I know that the 1100 and 1150RT's could be converted to two-up, but I don't know about the 1200 liquid-cooled RT's. But someone here will know, or will know someone who does know.
© 2017 BMWSportTouring Forums