BMWSportTouring

MC lifts for pickup beds

Posted By: mikeR1100R

MC lifts for pickup beds - 03/25/17 08:20 PM

Has anyone bought and used a pickup bed-installed motorcycle lift? I saw one at last year's MOA rally (can't remember the brand name) which seemed to work really well. 2 others are Triple D motorcycle loader and AmeriDeck. I am researching options for transporting a motorcycle while pulling a decent-sized trailer, say 26 feet. Don't want a 5th wheel hitch and am leaning away from a toy hauler. I don't have a lot of specific requirements as yet other than I would definitely want a pickup with an 8 foot bed. I am still in the talking to people, looking at their trucks and trailer stage.

http://tripledloader.comhttp://www.powerdecks.com/product_display.aspx?product_guid=Motorcycle-Deck

Hopefully these links work.

Any info or anecdotes will be appreciated.

Re: MC lifts for pickup beds - 03/25/17 08:32 PM

Evidently the links don't work. Sorry about that.
Posted By: workin' them angels

Re: MC lifts for pickup beds - 03/25/17 09:02 PM

link 1

link 2

EDIT: Mike - do you remember ball park prices?
Posted By: John Ranalletta

Re: MC lifts for pickup beds - 03/25/17 09:13 PM

I want to remember Calvin No Socks unloading his scoot with one of these in Red Lodge.
Posted By: ltljohn

Re: MC lifts for pickup beds - 03/25/17 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: John Ranalletta
I want to remember Calvin No Socks unloading his scoot with one of these in Red Lodge.

Yes it was Calvin, watched him load it was very in teresting.
Posted By: realshelby

Re: MC lifts for pickup beds - 03/26/17 12:03 AM

I have their "cruiserlift" on the back of the RV. Works good. They have a pickup bed loader that I have not seen but looks good. Pickup bed loader
Posted By: mickeym3

Re: MC lifts for pickup beds - 03/26/17 09:48 AM

Don't blame you for shying away from Toyhaulers, most are heavy and cheaply made. There's a used Rampage lift listed for sale on advrider. PM'd a linky but if you're not registered on that forum it may not work. It looks like a good deal.

Re: MC lifts for pickup beds - 03/26/17 03:29 PM

Hi Dave,

I have emailed 2 of the manufacturers for quotes. They don't seem to want to put prices on their websites. Thanks for fixing the links! The resident computer expert here was napping at the time. grin

Re: MC lifts for pickup beds - 03/26/17 03:33 PM

Checked out their video. Definitely on my research list.

Thanks!
Posted By: Living the Dream

Re: MC lifts for pickup beds - 03/27/17 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: mickeym3
Don't blame you for shying away from Toyhaulers, most are heavy and cheaply made. There's a used Rampage lift listed for sale on advrider. PM'd a linky but if you're not registered on that forum it may not work. It looks like a good deal.

Don't knock the toyhaulers.

I bought this one to haul my Jeep around. We put maybe 10k miles on it before we sold it because of getting stationed overseas. Easily held a 4k pound Jeep and pulled quite nicely. We never had any issue with this rig, it was a Coachman Catalina.

Posted By: realshelby

Re: MC lifts for pickup beds - 03/28/17 12:25 PM

Never seen a Jeep or any car in a Toyhauler! Fits well, but my concern would be weight. These things often run on the edge of maximum tire load ratings, as well as axle ratings.

I have had two RV's that you could put a motorcycle in. One was a bumper pull that you loaded from the side and the bike sit sideways in front of the couch ( RT fit just fine there! ), and a fifth wheel that had a rear entry door not quite as wide as the standard toy hauler. This was for a golf cart or bike and the area that you stored in was a nice room with desk, tv, etc. Should have kept that rig, it really was the best compromise of all. The problem with most Toy Haulers is that you simply give up too much room in the living area. I like a really nice area for watching tv and preparing meals. Most toy haulers have a very industrial area for toy storage. While you can have beds and couches, it is a compromise I am not willing to make.
Posted By: mickeym3

Re: MC lifts for pickup beds - 03/28/17 02:33 PM

Richard, there are exceptions to about everything...glad you had good success with yours. If you'd like a wider view of how others have done there are RV forums that provide that. I went a little different route in 2001 when I bought a "conventional" enclosed car trailer with small living quarters, had big torsion axles and served me well for many years. Probably not the best deal for creature comforts or having kids along though. In today's market ATC makes a great all aluminum trailer that's roughly comparable to what I had but plusher and just as much max weight rating.
Posted By: tallman

Re: MC lifts for pickup beds - 03/28/17 05:10 PM

Sage Rider, not around these days, used thhis one.
link
Posted By: Living the Dream

Re: MC lifts for pickup beds - 03/28/17 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: realshelby
Never seen a Jeep or any car in a Toyhauler! Fits well, but my concern would be weight. These things often run on the edge of maximum tire load ratings, as well as axle ratings.

I have had two RV's that you could put a motorcycle in. One was a bumper pull that you loaded from the side and the bike sit sideways in front of the couch ( RT fit just fine there! ), and a fifth wheel that had a rear entry door not quite as wide as the standard toy hauler. This was for a golf cart or bike and the area that you stored in was a nice room with desk, tv, etc. Should have kept that rig, it really was the best compromise of all. The problem with most Toy Haulers is that you simply give up too much room in the living area. I like a really nice area for watching tv and preparing meals. Most toy haulers have a very industrial area for toy storage. While you can have beds and couches, it is a compromise I am not willing to make.

That trailer was rated with a NCC of 5k lbs. I actually contacted Coachman to see if it could haul my Jeep and I weighed the Jeep prior to purchasing.

I had to draw up the dimensions in my driveway and use a level to see if the Jeep would fit the "garage area". It was tight, but she did fit.

My ideal trailer at the time would have been the 5th Thor Wanderer Wagon I believe that one had 16ft of vehicle space and a nice layout once you moved the vehicle out. The nearest one was too far to test the fitting so I settled on the bumper pull Catalina.

If I remember right, the Catalina had a total weight of 12500,...pretty hefty and I think the trailer dry weight was around 6600.
Posted By: Bud

Re: MC lifts for pickup beds - 03/29/17 09:36 AM

Originally Posted By: tallman
Sage Rider, not around these days, used thhis one.
link

I miss his posts. Hope all is well with him.
© 2017 BMWSportTouring Forums