BMWSportTouring

Roads north of Tahoe

Posted By: longjohn

Roads north of Tahoe - 07/01/10 01:30 AM

I have the week of 19jul off and need to be in Tahoe for a day or two, but then I though I might explore this state of ours a little. Maybe go to Lassen NP and Redwood NP, or any other must see places up there. This would be my first time in the area, so I am open to suggestions. I did really enjoy Bryce and Zion, so that would give you an idea of what I'm looking for, and if there are any more roads like Joe has around Coarsegold please fill me in. I would like to come home through Monterey/PG to see bro'. No camping but cheap motel recommendations would be appreciated.
Posted By: Danny caddyshack Noonan

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/01/10 02:22 AM

49 between 89 and 20 is pretty cool. However, further south of 20, I think, it sucks until you get past 80. It's like a crappy wanna be freeway.
89 north of Tahoe is cool but, I haven't been north of 49.

South of Tahoe, 108 is just incredible. 120, through Yosemite, can be if on a weekday AND the cage lemmings are restrained. If you have patience, then 120 may fit the bill.

A lap around Tahoe is pretty nice also.

Posted By: Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/01/10 02:36 AM

Depending on time and where you want to end up, here's a possibility. Take 89 to Sierraville, go west on 89/49 to the Gold Lake Hwy, and then north to Graeagle. Have lunch there or about 2 miles futher up you come to Blairsdon, take a right on Bonta Street for about 1-block and have lunch at the Bonta Street Deli--great food and reasonable price. From there you can go to Lassen, then head west on 44 and take a cut-off south to Anderson or Cottonwood, and stay overnight around Red Bluff. The next morning go out to the Coast on Hwy 36, as you cross I-5 you'll see a sign that shows "Curves next 146 miles" and they mean it. Getting home is then up to you.

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/01/10 05:10 AM

Thanks Dick. That looks like a nice route. 36 looks awesome.
Posted By: cali_beemer

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/01/10 05:13 AM

49 and 89 are good recomendations if you are determind to go north. Mt Lassen and the redwoods are great destination. I would recomend a stop near Lake Almanor for lun. There are some nice little places all around the lake but you will find more success in the town of chester I believe. 70 and 32 are fun roads but traffic can be an issue.

Dont rule out the soth area of tahoe. As noted Sonora, Ebbetts, Tioga, Carson and Monitor pass are all excellent. Moniter was one of the best ares around IMO until they tar snaked the crap out of it. Or if you really need to get away from cars an want to get lost there are a slew of paved forest access roads between Icehouse and Gerogetown. good riding in there and your chances of seeing a car rank right up there with being struck by lightning.
Posted By: Deadboy

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/01/10 05:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV
Depending on time and where you want to end up, here's a possibility. Take 89 to Sierraville, go west on 89/49 to the Gold Lake Hwy, and then north to Graeagle. Have lunch there or about 2 miles futher up you come to Blairsdon, take a right on Bonta Street for about 1-block and have lunch at the Bonta Street Deli--great food and reasonable price. From there you can go to Lassen, then head west on 44 and take a cut-off south to Anderson or Cottonwood, and stay overnight around Red Bluff. The next morning go out to the Coast on Hwy 36, as you cross I-5 you'll see a sign that shows "Curves next 146 miles" and they mean it. Getting home is then up to you.

A great suggestion right there.....then take the coast route home....
Posted By: Firefight911

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/01/10 06:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Deadboy

Yep!!!!
Posted By: Tom F. (formerly boney)

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/01/10 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: 1bmwfan

Yep!!!!

Yeah, that's the one.
Posted By: Paul Mihalka

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/01/10 07:46 PM

Is Hwy. 36 west a special ride starting from Red Bluff/I5, or is the real nice part the second half? In my ride plan I plan to spend the night in Weaverville on 299, then connect to 36 via rt. 3.
I will be coming south from OR on 97, plan to do a short hop north on I5 to Yreka to pick up rt. 3 south to Weaverville. I am trying to stay out of the central valley with heat and I5. Any comments?
Posted By: JR356

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/01/10 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Mihalka
Is Hwy. 36 west a special ride starting from Red Bluff/I5, or is the real nice part the second half? In my ride plan I plan to spend the night in Weaverville on 299, then connect to 36 via rt. 3.
I will be coming south from OR on 97, plan to do a short hop north on I5 to Yreka to pick up rt. 3 south to Weaverville. I am trying to stay out of the central valley with heat and I5. Any comments?

The first two thirds from Redding to over the coast range is the best part,when you get to the other side you get into a little bit of population and some light business/industry/mills.

Be aware that the eastern side can be and is very hot this time of year.Pack liquids and dress for the heat!!
We are getting Central CA temp onto the low 100's on a daily basis.

JR356
Posted By: Marty Hill

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/01/10 08:02 PM

Paul, I did the whole of 36 a few months ago/thought the west 1/2 was a bit nicer but all those roads are really nice. 96 north of willow creek gets a bit lonely until you hit the river and turn west.

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/01/10 10:03 PM

I think all of 36 if pretty darn sweet but the western 1/2 is probably better....but honestly it is hard to complain about any particular section. Be sure to have a meal in Mad River at the Burger Bar!

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/02/10 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: cali_beemer

Dont rule out the soth area of tahoe. As noted Sonora, Ebbetts, Tioga, Carson and Monitor pass are all excellent. Moniter was one of the best ares around IMO until they tar snaked the crap out of it. Or if you really need to get away from cars an want to get lost there are a slew of paved forest access roads between Icehouse and Gerogetown. good riding in there and your chances of seeing a car rank right up there with being struck by lightning.

South of Tahoe I'm more familiar with. I think I'll do the White Mt. rd again, just to go through those dips one more time. Will 120 be too busy with tourists? I did Sonora Pass last fall, so maybe try 4 this year.

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/02/10 01:05 AM

120 east of 395 or west of it? In the park I would expect traffic....heading east I would think you will see nearly no one the entire way to Benton Hot Springs....

Likewise 108 from Mi-Wuk over the summit will be devoid of much traffic.....great road, be sure to have a full tank of gas as you leave Mi-Wuk
Posted By: Tom F. (formerly boney)

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/02/10 02:03 AM

To be (mostly) clear, everyone riding in the area should plan on it being hot unless you're on the ocean side of the west-most ridge. Plan on most of 36 to be hot.

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/02/10 02:52 AM

Boney,
You're forgetting about the first 1000 vertical feet on the east slope where it is still temperate. rofl
Just looking out at the hot desert does burn retinas sometimes though.
Posted By: cali_beemer

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/02/10 05:36 AM

Likewise 108 from Mi-Wuk over the summit will be devoid of much traffic.....great road, be sure to have a full tank of gas as you leave Mi-Wuk

+1, there aint squat for gas stations for a while.

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/02/10 05:39 AM

120 east of 395 or west of it? In the park I would expect traffic....heading east I would think you will see nearly no one the entire way to Benton Hot Springs....

Haha, sorry, I was thinking in the park. I have never considered going the other way. Is it scenic? Boring? Hot? Twisty?

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/02/10 06:00 AM

I love 120 east from 395, but it doesn't exactly get you to anywhere...not a bad out and back run actually, or you could sample the hot springs in Benton, which are around 50 miles from Lee Vining (I never have but I hear they are nice).

More scenic than anything but there are some cool roller coaster style sections and corners, but I really enjoy the wide open valley floor run looking at the surroundings....

http://www.historicbentonhotsprings.com/

Posted By: Firefight911

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/02/10 06:26 AM

Benton Hot Springs and 120 are great that way.

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/20/10 04:28 AM

DB and Phil, thanks for the 120 East suggestion. I was on it today for an out and back run, and that road rocks. Love the dips! The curves and scenery are top notch too. I may have seen some members today heading in the other direction on some G's and k's at noon.

Oh has anyone gotten airborne on those dips?

Re: Roads north of Tahoe - 07/20/10 01:58 PM

Quote:
Oh has anyone gotten airborne on those dips?

I've gotten very front wiggly on Rock Creek Rd north of Hwy 4 at Copperopolis if you're looking for a little excitement.
© 2017 BMWSportTouring Forums