BMWSportTouring

Mid Atlantic Coffee Club

Posted By: jbr7t

Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/30/13 05:35 PM

Formerly known as Virginia Coffee Klatch!

The mods asked that I create a thread specific to this event now that it is established and the first meeting is set. So Please follow this post now and keep up to date with future events.

Inaugural meeting of Mid Atlantic Coffee Club:
When: November 16th, 2013 at 11am
Where: Blackstone Coffee
1113 Jefferson Davis Hwy.
Fredericksburg, Va. 22401

www.blackstonecoffee.com

This is a very informal event. Just a good time to have a cup of Joe and tell stories. We will have highly intellectual conversation about the meaning of life. <---(for those that don't know me I have a tendency to be sarcastic) So join us for some coffee and BS! See you in a couple weeks.
Posted By: TyTass

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/30/13 09:39 PM

Got it. Thanks again, James. wave
Posted By: Sil

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/31/13 02:23 PM

Hope to see you there. Thanks.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/05/13 07:08 AM

I'm going to try and give Don at the coffee shop a heads up on how many might be coming. Please comment if you are planning on attending. Thanks.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/05/13 03:16 PM

Two IN.
Posted By: Blind Squirrel

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/05/13 10:02 PM

One (me) and a maybe for my Mrs.
Posted By: Fathom

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/05/13 10:27 PM

What Blind Squirrel said, above. I'm in (and looking forward), the missus may be weather-dependent.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/06/13 03:16 AM

I'm in rain or shine. Based on the current 10 day I'm thinking we'll have good weather.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/06/13 05:28 PM

Let me qualify my previous statement. I'm in either way - rain or shine - hot or cold. Terri, I feel certain will be there only if it's not raining.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/06/13 09:29 PM

Still planning on giving it a go.
Posted By: Endobobdds

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/08/13 12:27 AM

I plan on being there and making a run over to Morton's before or after our "coffee".

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/09/13 11:26 AM

Update: The Mrs. will be out of town on business travel, so I will be solo. I too will be hitting Morton's either before or after.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/09/13 11:44 AM

Maybe I should just call Jeff and ask him to put on an extra pot of coffee at Morton's. Scott and Bob- keep me posted if you are going before or after. I'll be passing Morton's on my way to and from the coffee shop...I'm sure there is something there I need to look at. That's the one downside to passing Morton's everyday, way to easy to just stop by and find something to buy.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/10/13 12:53 PM

My plan is to leave here at 8ish and take 17 up. I will hit Morton's after the meet.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/11/13 05:39 PM

Sorry but I'm out. frown

Long time friends just told us they are coming to DC on Friday and will be staying with us until Sunday morning.

You all have a good time - I'll certainly try to make the next one. thumbsup

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/13/13 08:59 PM

I'm ready for it to be Saturday!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/14/13 07:20 PM

I'm still in, but the missus is out. We've got grandkid duty (the wife will fetch while I caffeinate with you good people). I'd better find a nice toy to bring her at Morton's, though, to avoid prolonged stays in the doghouse.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/14/13 09:02 PM

Well, I'm still planning to come and believe my better half is still good to go.

Scott (Blind Squirrel),

When I head up that way, I do head up 17 initially ... but about 7.5 miles past Walter Reed Hosp (on the north side of Glouster CH) I peel off left onto 14 (Adner Rd > Buena Vista > The Trail).

When 14 "The Trail" hits Hwy360, there's several backroad options from there up and around Fort AP Hill to the south and west side. They're all more fun than US-17 and far fewer LEOs (like pretty much none).

Edit: They aren't faster routes, but definitely more fun and prettier.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/14/13 09:08 PM

Of course, as soon as I post that I check the weather and ... well ... all I'm going to say is that I might be going alone.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/15/13 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: TyTass
Of course, as soon as I post that I check the weather and ... well ... all I'm going to say is that I might be going alone.

I looked on Google maps. Looks like a nice way to get up there. I also looked on weather.com. Currently there is a 40% chance of precip. for 8 AM tomorrow. I won't make the trip if it is raining when I am ready to leave. Too great a chance of melting my candy ass if it gets wet.

I'll post tomorrow AM that I am either on my way or opting out.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/15/13 03:14 PM

My wife and I checked the weather ... it looks like rain upon starting (40% showers), which becomes scattered showers at 30% a bit closer to Fred-burg. By the time we leave Fred-burg, it's supposed to have stopped raining there, though we may ride back into some scattered showers around down toward VA Beach.

I'll go either way, not only to help launch this inaugural event but also the check out the weatherproof abilities of my new Klim Kaddidlehopper pants. My wife said her going would depend on how hard it's raining when we leave ... but that she may go anyway as she's been looking forward to this quick trip (having something to do with how rarely we ride short distances).

So, Scott ... if it is indeed raining in the am ... you might want to checkout how far west it's raining before you execute a "candy-ass" cancellation maneuver. wink rofl

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/16/13 03:24 AM

Still 11:00 am, still Blackstone, yes?

I spent a fair bit of Q-time at Morton's today, and the bike is hummin'. Ditched the wimpy-ass scooter horn for something more, ahh, robust; the 6K is done slightly ahead of sched; and I've loaded up on precious bodily (maintenance) fluids. Now for a nice steamin' hot cup 'o joe....

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/16/13 04:29 AM

So, Scott ... if it is indeed raining in the am ... you might want to checkout how far west it's raining before you execute a "candy-ass" cancellation maneuver. wink rofl

Craig, I concur! The proper execution of a "candy-ass" maneuver is obtainable only by a select few. It takes years of training to acquire the mental fortitude and degree of skin thickness required to withstand the ensuing ribbing for attempting such a maneuver. thumbsup

Fathom- yup, still Blackstone. Still 11.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/16/13 04:31 AM

Interesting factoid I discovered by looking at everyones profile:

All of the people attending our little event enjoy motorcycles and coffee. What a small world.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/16/13 12:17 PM

Sun is shining ... and the radar is looking pretty clear between here and Fred'burg. We're getting ready to leave, having a morning cup, a small bite to eat, and then hopefully leaving by 8:00.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/16/13 12:19 PM

The sun is shining, I am IN! Heading out around 8. GPS tells me my route takes about 3 hours. Looking forward to seeing and meeting everyone!
Posted By: mariaway

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/16/13 12:46 PM

He y'all
Just joined in the spring, and am happy tp see this event so close by hope you don't mind a last minute addition heading down from the Annapolis area, it's still pretty foggy around here! I like motorcycles and coffee too

Donna

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/16/13 01:08 PM

The more the merrier Donna!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/16/13 02:17 PM

I'm afraid Donna will have to sub for me -- got some bad Indian food last night, and am feeling like I've passed my "sell by" date (as did the chicken in the dumplings, or so it would seem). Very bummed, as I'd g-mapped a nice route that roughly doubles the travel time and dodges the slab. Have a cup for me; I'll try hard to make the next one.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/16/13 09:17 PM

I had a great time and enjoyed everyone's company. Thanks for organizing this James.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/17/13 12:29 AM

I really enjoyed meeting everyone! Looking forward to the next get together!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/17/13 12:47 AM

It was nice to meet the brave souls who fought their way through the fog and cold for a cup of coffee, and thanks to James for putting the idea out there!

Donna

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/17/13 12:37 PM

Thanks to everyone who came out yesterday! Always good to enjoy good coffee and good conversation. Looking forward to doing it again soon.
Posted By: SteveHebert

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/17/13 03:51 PM

I have fresh ground coffee every morning for the guys starting at 0430. I love hosting. You are all more than welcome to come on over for an "Adventure Ride". The coffee is well worth it!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/17/13 06:54 PM

Terri and I enjoyed it as well. Nice group of folks.

Thanks again to James for organizing.

We're looking forward to the next one already.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/17/13 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: SteveHebert
I have fresh ground coffee every morning for the guys starting at 0430. I love hosting. You are all more than welcome to come on over for an "Adventure Ride". The coffee is well worth it!
Hmmmm ... a kind offer but I'm thinking I'll pass. That's a bit too much adventure for this adventure wuss!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/17/13 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: SteveHebert

Sounds great! You funding the adventure??
Posted By: SteveHebert

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/18/13 12:59 AM

Follow this link for an amazing story:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923656

If he can do it, anyone can. Not something I recommend and I think he was really foolish, but to each his own.

The coffee is waiting..........
Posted By: Marty Hill

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/18/13 12:53 PM

Steve, that is an amazing story. Glad I tripped over your directions to it.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/18/13 06:02 PM

Wow, now that was a worthwhile read! Amazing story, thanks for the link Steve.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/19/13 02:09 PM

Thanks for the link Steve! I haven't finished the read yet but just from the portion I have read I'm impressed. Stories like this always make me think. Here's a guy traveling in some of the harshest areas of the world both physically and politically and getting it done on POS bikes with little to no farkles. Yet somehow, we feel like we can't get across America without a $1000 GPS, $2000 luggage, a $15000+ motorcycle, $1500 worth of protective gear, thousands worth of tents and camping supplies etc etc. Really makes you appreciate the simplicity of motorcycle travel in its original honest form.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/24/13 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: jbr7t
Thanks for the link Steve! Yet somehow, we feel like we can't get across America without a $1000 GPS, $2000 luggage, a $15000+ motorcycle, $1500 worth of protective gear, thousands worth of tents and camping supplies etc etc. Really makes you appreciate the simplicity of motorcycle travel in its original honest form.

+1 Fantastic ride report and pictures!

It is hard for me to believe that in 2013 a "tourist" can actually ride through this part of the world. I traveled in some very remote areas in northern India and Nepal in the early 1970's but would not feel comfortable doing the same now in 2013.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/27/13 07:12 PM

I get what you're saying, overall ... the ride is indeed an impressive accomplishment ... certainly in terms of resourcefulness and obviously in terms of his persistance and resilience.

In regard to motives of us here in the US ... is it really true that "we feel like we can't get across America without all a $1000 GPS, $2000 luggage, a $15000+ motorcycle, $1500 worth of protective gear, thousands worth of tents and camping supplies etc., etc."?

Perhaps it is that some folks actually simply enjoy traveling with all that stuff; that perhaps a large part of those people found all that stuff useful having traveled previously without it. Then perhaps for yet others they simply do not see the need to travel under the constraints of being some form of purist (albeit a specific form of purist ... i.e., motorcyclist). Heck, I'm sure there are nany folks in the US that can afford to buy a brand new high-end adventure bike should theirs break down on a cross country trip (that of course is not me ... not even close ... but it is true for some folks).

Of course, one could try to create a purist sort of adventure in the US by applying some constraints such as choosing to ride only basic 1960/70s motorcycles, carry very little gear along, reduce one's budget, etc. but in the end it is an experiement at best ... a psuedo-adventure. The ease of finding all manner of logistics across the US sort of changes everything. Availability of gas, emergency rooms, ambulatory services, food, etc.; to say nothing of the low probability of running into crime/unrest on the road invalidates any real comparison.

As much as we may try to simulate some conditions with constraints, we can't simulate the risks. The fact is adventure riding here is not the same as adventure riding there.

Personally, I experience no sense of shame or guilt in admitting that adventure riding in the US doesn't resemble anything like this guy's trip. It's enough for me to get off the paved road every once in a while (on my big-assed, unfortunately expensive BMW GSA) ... to (comfortably) see sights/roads I wouldn't normally see ... to camp out under the stars (in my high-tech, lightweight tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bags, etc.) ... to wake up in the morning in a nice little campground with hot showers and hot food (courtesy of my jetboil) ... and get back out on the road again, whether I (comfortably) ride 1500 miles over a few days never straying more than 200 miles from my house or whether I were to go ride cross-country.

My need to rough it decreased dramatically after my Navy career.
Posted By: Living the Dream

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/01/13 03:19 PM

My need to rough it decreased dramatically after my Navy career.

Haha,...roughing it in the Navy,....did the ship's A/C go out for a couple of hours wink

Semper Fi brother,....Semper Fi wink
Posted By: lawnchairboy

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/01/13 10:19 PM

I don't really yearn to rough it anymore either....

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/02/13 12:14 AM

IMO, these days roughing means staying someplace without free internet access grin

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/03/13 12:03 AM

Wasn't trying to knock everyone with gear and comforts. I've got plenty of gear and a nice bike too. I was just simply taking a look at the simpler & raw side of motorcycle travel and appreciating where it began in its natural form. As the last sentence said, " Really makes you appreciate the simplicity of motorcycle travel in its original honest form." I'll gladly travel with my bluetooth, good waterproof tent and thermorest. But I also have an appreciation for the bare bones style the writer of the story in the link used.

Please don't everyone get their panties in a wod. wink

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/03/13 09:23 PM

So when's the next one? I'm sure I'll be on call smile

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/04/13 03:33 PM

Yeah, I'll second that, for sure. Having missed the first one (which really bummed me out), I'm feeling like it's time for some ~*~*~*~*ice coffee~*~*~*~*~*~* !

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/06/13 03:57 AM

I was actually thinking maybe the week between Christmas and new year. Anybody available that Saturday the 28th? Or the Monday the 30th.?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/06/13 02:25 PM

James if I am in town, I am there. Megan and I have not decided what to do for Christmas. Florida sounds good but unless they invent an instant travel machine I really do not want to go there.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/06/13 04:36 PM

Anybody available that Saturday the 28th? Or the Monday the 30th.?

I will miss this one too, if in December. I'll be in Incline Village, NA for the holidays (until 1/4/14) visiting daughter and son-in-law. New year's resolution is to find a great deal on a GS to purchase and store at their new home in Tahoe for exploring the west coast. smile

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/06/13 05:00 PM

Do you have a location in mind?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/08/13 02:30 PM

I'm thinking a coffee shop!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/08/13 06:39 PM

Well that narrows it down ... thanks!

I may be able to make it on the Sat (28th). Monday is out for me ... I'm working.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/09/13 11:20 AM

That would be the place. What is the location of the place you have in mind? wink

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/09/13 06:16 PM

I think I could do the 28th or 29th -- have to work on the 30th. Got out for a few hours on Saturday, and it was a bit cold but nice. I no longer think heated seats are decadent.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/13/13 08:36 PM

Ok..for December I'm keeping it simple tried and true.

December 28th 2013
11am
Blackstone Coffee Fredericksburg Va.
www.blackstonecoffee.com

For January we'll change it up.

As I've now I'm choosing this place sight unseen! So if anyone
has been there and its no good please chime in

January 11th
11am
Firehook bakery and coffee in Old Town Alexandria Va.
www.firehook.com

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/14/13 02:21 PM

that should work for me.

see you there.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/15/13 02:20 AM

I might be able to make it on Jan 11th (Saturday) but preference for these gatherings would be on a Sunday. smile

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/15/13 12:39 PM

Weather dependent, I will put the December get together on the calendar and see if the Mrs. is interested in attending. Should we reserve the table in back?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/16/13 04:46 PM

Already got it reserved! smile

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/16/13 08:10 PM

Firehook is amazing -- they make sun-dried cherry scones that will change your life (mostly at the waistline, but hey...).

The 28th still looks (reasonably) good, depending on weather. Cold is fine, but I was out yesterday in MD and came across conditions that were trying very hard to become black ice. It was bad enough that, having got through it, I found an alternate route home on more traveled roads, rather than risk the return trip. For whatever geologic / atmospheric / tree shade reasons, some areas are just way, way colder than others. Beware of microclimates like this if / when you're riding around in the winter.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/17/13 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Fathom
Firehook is amazing -- they make sun-dried cherry scones that will change your life (mostly at the waistline, but hey...).

What is a sun-dried scone? rofl

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/19/13 07:47 PM

Sorry, I meant to say sun-dried CHERRY scones. Hey, it's the holidays, and I appear to be experiencing technical difficulties beyond our control. Please stand by [insert Native American Chief's head test pattern here.]

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/20/13 04:34 AM

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm probably out for both.

There is however a slight chance I can make it to the one on Dec 28th. I'll let you know.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/20/13 05:06 PM

just a heads up the motorcycle show is in DC January the 10,11,12 anyone going after coffee??

Donna

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/20/13 05:11 PM

I won't be able to go by the show. Have to get back to town after our coffee.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/22/13 02:48 AM

Out for that one. Will be in Fla dirt hooning.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/23/13 12:17 PM

We are now within the window for the December get together that I can start watching the weather. Currently 0% chance of rain, with a low of 32 degrees. I normally won't leave the driveway if it is below 45 degrees. I'll see what conditions are like on Saturday AM and post up my decision to go or stay home.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/23/13 03:39 PM

I am out for this Saturday gotta work..

Donna

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/23/13 06:18 PM

Merry Christmas to the coffee crew!

I see a few folks are out for saturday. Who all is in?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/23/13 10:25 PM

I think I am in for Saturday, Merry Christmas to you all.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/27/13 03:46 PM

I'm out, unfortunately.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/27/13 04:02 PM

I should see you there

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/27/13 09:25 PM

I am out of this one. frown

The Mrs. shut me down by scheduling the roofer and Lowes to come @ 9 AM tomorrow to discuss what is to be done by damage caused by the roofer installing the roof incorrectly.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/28/13 12:38 AM

Hey all. Unfortunately I'm probably not going to make it tomorrow. Got 2 little ones at home with fever. The big table is reserved for "James" from 11-1 so feel free to grab that up.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/28/13 03:10 AM

It's looking pretty good for me -- 56 & sunny tomorrow... 4 days before the end of the year! BTW, Sunday's forecast is 100% probability of rain, followed by a steep drop in temps for the beginning of the week. I humbly suggest adjusting the honey-do accordingly.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/28/13 03:47 PM

coffee is good, again, oh yeah: Gerbings liners / gloves are beautiful this time of year.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/28/13 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: lawnchairboy
coffee is good, again, oh yeah: Gerbings liners / gloves are beautiful this time of year.
Just as rain gear is during a downpour, right Chris? wink

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/28/13 11:16 PM

You said a mouthful there my friend.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/29/13 04:39 PM

OK well, I showed for this (albeit more than fashionably late)... and there was no one there!!!!! No matter; I got a nice 6.5 hour ride in, and the cumulative total miles on I-95 was about 8. This may have contributed to the lateness factor. For the record, on 95, it takes me about an hour and 10 to get to Freddyburg, in reasonable (non-holiday) traffic. Good times were had on the backroads of rural Maryland, for sure, but I was looking forward to meeting a few more BMWSTers. Perhaps I'll do better getting to Firehook, which is 10 minutes from my house (I should be able to stretch that into a more manageable hour and a half!).

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/29/13 08:12 PM

I was there....about 1/2 hour or so.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/30/13 05:00 PM

Sorry Fathom and Lawnchair. I had hoped to make it, but the sick kiddos needed attention. My 6 month old has RSV and and ear infection and my 2 year old also has RSV. My wife is a saint but had I left for "fun" on my motorcycle I think I would of met the devil on my return.

Glad ya'll had a good ride and I hope we have a good turnout at Firehook in a couple weeks. I'm looking forward to the ride up to Alexandria. I'm going to try and leave Richmond early in the morning and take the scenic/fun route up instead of slab.
Posted By: ltljohn

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/31/13 05:25 PM

Looking at Jan 11th. Since Firehook has 2 locations in Alexandria I am assuming that the one located on South Union St is considered Old Town. I am trying to finagle a way down.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/31/13 06:39 PM

I'm not sorry in the least, it was a good ride.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/03/14 04:20 PM

Right there with you on that score, lawnchair -- just sorry I didn't get to see you guys. I'll be saving the route I came up with for future reference, though, as I need to get down to Morton's from time to time, and this route is a blast.

In re: the January 11 Firehook gtg, I'm meeting a friend at the DC Bike Show; anyone who wants to tag along is of course welcome.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/03/14 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: ltljohn
Looking at Jan 11th. Since Firehook has 2 locations in Alexandria I am assuming that the one located on South Union St is considered Old Town. I am trying to finagle a way down.

Yes, that is the location I was looking at. Guess I should have specified. I've never been there but I here it's a GREAT place.

Here is the address for those that need it.
Alexandria (S.Union St.)
105 S. Union Street
Alexandria, VA 22314

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/03/14 07:57 PM

I plan on making the Jan 11th meeting of the Mid-Atlantic Coffee Club. I will be driving down. I looked at the maps and there is no good way to get from here to there. ( Being from Maine I can't help but think that "You can't get there from here") All of the routes are through places I absolutely hate to ride, that and the cold and snow. So who is going to be there??

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/03/14 08:08 PM

I'm planning to be there!

The current 10 day forecast has it as:
Sat Jan 11
Partly Cloudy
High 48°
Low 37°
Partly Cloudy
Chance of rain:
20%
Wind:
SW at 7 mph
Posted By: curlesw

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/04/14 02:01 AM

I live in Round Hill, VA...hope to attend to meet some fellow riders.

Wayne C.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/04/14 01:03 PM

Sorry to miss ltljohn guest appearance...but I will be dirt honing in Florida

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/04/14 03:08 PM

Sorry to miss ltljohn guest appearance...but I will be dirt honing in Florida

Is that honing your dirt skills or hooning in the dirt?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/08/14 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: mariaway
just a heads up the motorcycle show is in DC January the 10,11,12 anyone going after coffee??

Donna

That's the plan on my part, Donna; I'm meeting my wife and step-grandkid at the show, and may also drag a friend to the coffee, as we're planning to go straight to the convention center from there. You're welcome to join if you'd like.

BTW, is the start time still 11:00 am? I could arrive early this time (for a change), if other folks feel like hitting the show. Don't want to make it any more challenging for those who are coming from a distance, though.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/09/14 12:58 PM

Yes, time is still set at 11. But I'm sure some will be earlier and some a little later. Don't feel like you need to circle the lot until 10:59 wink

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/09/14 03:01 PM

Thanks James. I was thinking more of doing donuts in front of the shop, but I'll strap on my Responsible Adult hat and hold out for the scones. BTW, it looks like I'll be +1, in that my riding buddy has confirmed that he's on board. He hasn't joined the Teutonic fold yet (I'm working on it), but to his credit, he divides saddle time between a Monster 1100 S and a full-dressed HD (I think it's a Sport Classic, extra chrome please).

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/10/14 03:41 AM

my plans are up in the air a bit, hope to make it for coffee might have to take the cage! or straight to IMS from home ...
donna

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/11/14 02:18 AM

I'm hoping he weather man is wrong! After riding to and from work today in the pouring rain I'm a little up in the air on tomorrow. I also learned today that my waterproof gloves aren't quite so waterproof. Gonna see how I feel when I wake up. It's about a 2 hour ride for me if I slab.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/11/14 02:16 PM

Well it's pouring at my house. I'm playing the wussie card and calling my 2 hours in the rain yesterday enough for this week. If I lived closer I'd be there but I've got 2 hours of slab each way. Sorry , hope I can catch everyone next time.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/11/14 10:31 PM

Home from coffee, met up with Mariaway(Donna), Fathom and his riding buddy. Sorry guys I am lousy with names. Had fun Hope you all enjoyed the MC show.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/12/14 02:54 AM

Nice to meet everyone today, Despite the bad weather I was very impressed with the turn out , ltljohn all the way from Pennsylvania , fathom and riding buddy, good coffee great conversation ..then I was off to the motorcycle show ...so many bikes so little time
Donna

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/13/14 09:27 PM

It was great meeting John & Donna as well; we did manage to run into Donna again at the bike show, which was better this year than the past few, IMHO. Hope to see some more folks at the next coffee GTG.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/16/14 11:44 AM

When is the next date and what is the next location?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/16/14 01:08 PM

Just a request from the peanut gallery, James ... and I promise I won't complain if you can't work it out on short notice and will try my utmost to make it this next time either way, but ...

Could we try to find someplace more out in the country or more on the outskirts of town ... so the ride is less like a commute?

This winter all I've been riding is in and around the traffic and stoplight-laden sprawl that is the Tidewater area.

Thanks for the consideration.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/16/14 05:58 PM

Just a request from the peanut gallery, James ... and I promise I won't complain if you can't work it out on short notice and will try my utmost to make it this next time either way, but ...

Could we try to find someplace more out in the country or more on the outskirts of town ... so the ride is less like a commute?

This winter all I've been riding is in and around the traffic and stoplight-laden sprawl that is the Tidewater area.

Thanks for the consideration.

Would Mudhouse be of interest. Never been there but I just searched for middle Virginia coffeehouse and this one came up.....just a thought, Crozet looks small enough.

Here it be!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/16/14 06:25 PM

just read today Crozet was on a list of the best pizzas, tops in va...

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/17/14 12:47 PM

Depending on weekend and weather, I may be in. I am supposed to have hyneria surgery a week from Friday. I'm not sure how long I will be down because of that.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/17/14 01:44 PM

Couple of weeks easy.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/17/14 06:45 PM

Couple of weeks easy.

I'm having it done at your place of work. The doc told me one month no lifting.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/17/14 07:23 PM

I was unclear, I meant that it would be a minimum of a couple of weeks....

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/17/14 07:50 PM

Thanks for the input and ideas. I certainly am open to meeting up wherever. The two previous locations were chosen because I go to Blackstone a lot and the Alexandria one was chosen because it looked like a cool spot, just did a google search to find it. If anyone knows of a coffee shop or restaurant that would be a good spot I'm definitely open for ideas.

February is a crazy month for me. I will be out of town 3 of the 4 weekends and at work the 4th weekend. If someone else wants to plan a February get together I think that would be great.

I'm going to look into March and get something set for then.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/17/14 07:59 PM

Craig..how about this place in March? I've never been but some folks I know in Lynchburg recomend. I know it's in the downtown area of Lynchburg, but the ride to Lynchburg should be easy to make a nice non-commutelike ride.

Maybe we can even morph into an overnight camping. I'm looking at March 9th. I know it's a Sunday, but I'm going to be in Lynchburg for a conference on the 8th. Thought maybe camp saturday night and coffee sunday.

Does that work for anybody or are Sunday's a bad day to schedule. Also, if anyone else is interested in the camping idea thats cool too.

The White Hart & Blackwater Coffee
1208 Main St.
Lynchburg, VA 24504
www.thewhitehartcoffee.com

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/17/14 10:01 PM

Does that work for anybody or are Sunday's a bad day to schedule. Also, if anyone else is interested in the camping idea thats cool too.

Sundays are actually better than Saturdays for me. thumbsup

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/21/14 01:50 PM

Camping, coffee, and riding are three of my favorite things to do, so yeah, this has potential for sure. Might have to dust off the winter sleeping bag in March, though. Right now, the weekends of March 8 & 22nd look like they could work for me. Now to break out the G-maps and figure out where the heck Lynchburg is at.... wink

[some time later...] Oh yeah, 60 & 501 look like they'd offer up some good fun. I have several of the "The Best in Tent Camping" books, including the Virginia edition (highly recommended -- the subtitle is "A Guide for Car Campers Who Hate RVs, concrete slabs, and Loud Portable Stereos"). I'll scope a few options, but your personal experiences / recommendations hold more water, esp. where bike camping's concerned.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/25/14 06:12 PM

I'm not anti-town, so to speak. I've got a few ways into Fred-burg that don't involve too many traffic lights. Lynchburg or anywhere really where one need not battle traffic and/or a bunch of stop lights/stop signs. Getting out of the I-95 corridor is definitely appreciated. That's all I was getting at.

As for the weekend of 8-9 March, I'm not sure that weekend is free yet.

However, the thought of perhaps camping sounds interesting, whether for that weekend or some other. As for camping around Lynchburg:

• James River State Park (Gladstone) - The primitive sites at are open year round. Not sure about bathhouses, though.
  • Smith Mountain Lake State Park (Huddleston) - The primitive sites at are open year round. Not sure about bathhouses, though.
  • Lynchburg NW / Blue Ridge Parkway KOA (Monroe) - Open 1 March
  • Holliday Lake State Park (Appomattox)

And yes ... there are some excellent roads in that area ... of which 501 is one of the best hands down, especially when you get to run it with absolutely no traffic (which really isn't that impossible as it really doesn't carry much traffic). I'm not a fan US-60 because that is the main trucking route across the Blue Ridge between I-64 and US-460 thru Roanoke. Further north there is VA-56 (one of my favs). And for you folks like me who LOVE the hidden back road gems, there's quite a few in the area: Cifax Rd, Coffee Rd, Tolers Ferry, Buffalo Springs Rd, Puppy Creek Rd, Tye River Rd, and some others you won't find on anyone's published ride map.

Speaking of camping ... much further southwest in Meadows of Dan is my favorite camp ground ... Willville Motorcycle Campground. I can't even begin to describe how beautiful and perfect this campground is for motorcycle camping. Will did a fabulous job clearing the area and creating the perfect setting, whether you wish to gather round the communal bonfire or wish to keep to yourself at you tent. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/26/14 01:26 PM

That Willville Motorcycle Campground looks like it is right up my ally... Cabins with bed linens included! smile

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/26/14 06:52 PM

Yeah, they have like 3 "cabins." They go quickly.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/29/14 02:53 PM

Well, I just found out the weekend of March 7-9 won't work for me ... I'll be out of town.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/30/14 03:23 PM

What. The. F***?!?

Southern Va. isn't supposed to get this cold.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/30/14 10:32 PM

I'm going to be passing through Lynchburg this weekend. I'm going to try and scope out the coffee shop and the surrounding area a little for the possible March gathering.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/04/14 09:18 PM

Thanks James, and also Craig, for the excellent road & campground rundown. I will check out the latter for sure -- I think it may have been written up in one of the (um, 6) MC magazines I subscribe to, where it also got some glowing reviews.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/04/14 09:27 PM

If anyone knows of a coffee shop or restaurant that would be a good spot I'm definitely open for ideas.

If/when folks may feel like heading back to Old Town Alexandria, I'd suggest Misha's for (best) coffee & baked goods; Hank's Oyster Bar for their namesake, as well as their (not cheap but pretty amazing/authentic) lobster roll sammiches. On the cheap, there's Austin Grill for fairly decent Tex Mex. For better Tex Mex, there's Cafe Poblano, but that's down the road just a bit in the Del Ray neighborhood -- also a cool place to hang out.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/06/14 01:47 PM

I'm really going to miss this if it turns into a camping/coffee event next month. However, considering the out-of-town town I will be in will be Asheville, I won't be too depressed for missing.

Asheville is a town I just can't get enough of.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/09/14 01:12 AM

Agree wholeheartedly. Have you tried staying at the Princess Anne Inn? It's very, very cool, and breakfasts there are the Nazz.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/09/14 05:23 AM

Agree wholeheartedly. Have you tried staying at the Princess Anne Inn? It's very, very cool, and breakfasts there are the Nazz.
We're going to the At Cumberland Falls B&B. Never been there before, so we'll have to see what it's like. Looks amazing.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/28/14 09:53 PM

March Meeting!

Sunday March 9, 2014 @ 12:00pm

The White Hart & Blackwater Coffee
1208 Main St.
Lynchburg, VA 24504
www.thewhitehartcoffee.com

Please post if you plan on coming.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/02/14 03:29 PM

Looks nice, 6 hrs one way is a bit long for me. I will keep looking and when things move north a bit north I will jump in.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/02/14 03:56 PM

I had surgery Thursday and can't lift anything for a few weeks. Looking forward to the April get together.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/03/14 01:26 AM

Sorry James, I'm out as I'm heading to Asheville next weekend.

Scott, take care ... don't want to be out of commission any longer than necessary.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/06/14 02:23 PM

I'm in for a maybe,.....let you know more Saturday.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/09/14 12:39 AM

I'm going to be out for tomorrow. Sorry for the late notice. Having some issues with the house that I have to get taken care of.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/11/14 04:43 PM

Well the past couple months of weather and scheduling have not been ideal!

Here's to an awesome April!!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/24/14 01:35 PM

Well it's almost April, and I'm hoping that others, like me, would like to bank the embers and roast this coffee club back up to 'full perk'. How's Saturday the 5th looking for everyone? And maybe the Crepes place in Clifton? I ride out that way quite a bit, and their food is great, their espresso even better....

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 04/17/14 01:34 AM

Ok, lets get this thing back on track! We'll chock March and April up to weird weather.

But May is going to be awesome, I just have a good feeling about it.

Saturday May 10, 2014
11 am
The Art of Coffee
15722 Kings Hwy, Montross, Virginia

Please respond to let me know you're coming.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 04/17/14 10:32 AM

Out. frown I'll be in Texas that weekend.

It looks like a good riding destination.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 04/20/14 01:20 AM

Have a safe trip to Texas Scott. Bring me back a cool t shirt.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 04/20/14 06:09 AM

If I'm not out doing a ride & camp weekend, I should be in.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 04/21/14 11:23 AM

Have a safe trip to Texas Scott. Bring me back a cool t shirt.

What size do you take?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 04/21/14 04:05 PM

I was only kidding. But if something strikes the interest, 2XL.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 04/21/14 04:06 PM

If I'm not out doing a ride & camp weekend, I should be in.

Great!

I'm looking forward to checking this place out. I've heard a couple people mention that its a nice spot.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/06/14 10:53 AM

*BUMP*

I won't be there this weekend, but that shouldn't stop the fun! Looking forward to the June get together.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/07/14 01:02 PM

Looking forward to a nice ride Saturday morning. After the craziness of work lately it will be nice to relax with friends and coffee.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/08/14 03:52 AM

Hate to do this to you, but with a bike/camping trip next weekend I've got to get homework and yard work done this weekend. So, I've got to cancel. Sorry!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/08/14 03:43 PM

Anybody joining me? Bueller...Bueller

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/08/14 09:11 PM

I'm feeling really guilty. If we could meet up earlier, I could find a way to cram in all I need to get done this weekend.

(Going to college at 54 is much harder than I thought it would be.)

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/08/14 09:32 PM

Sorry - again I will not be able to attend - have had good intentions but have yet to make it to a Mid Atlantic Coffee Club gathering.

Dropped off my bike today to have an intermittent failing rear brake problem diagnosed and hopefully solved. Will likely not get the bike back for a week or two.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/10/14 01:20 AM

Well, im out again. Sheesh!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/10/14 04:38 AM

No worries Craig. I know you've got a lot going on. At this point I'm still planning to make the ride. If anyone is there, great. If not I'll enjoy my ride and some coffee.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/10/14 11:43 AM

I'd love to have gone. Sounds line a nice coffee shop too.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/13/14 08:40 PM

Had a nice ride and coffee Saturday. The coffee shop is very nice. Its actually a converted mechanic garage, so a little fitting for those of us that like the occasional wrenching. I'm planning to set another one of our get togethers there..maybe a Sunday brunch. I didn't partake but the food looked delicious.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/13/14 09:16 PM

I have tried, made it once, I was solo...

I'll keep looking out for the meets.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/21/14 10:47 AM

Anyone have a destination and date in mind for June?
Posted By: UberXY

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/21/14 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Blind Squirrel
Anyone have a destination and date in mind for June?

How bout Charlottesville?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/21/14 03:24 PM

Yeah, I'll keep looking out for the meets ... and will try to make them.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/21/14 04:51 PM

After bumping this thread, I should note I am out of the area 20-29 June.

Charlottesville or surrounding area sounds good to me.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/21/14 05:10 PM

Me too ... I'm out 26-30 June.

Charlottesville sounds wonderful to mee too. Any excuse to get towards mountains.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/21/14 08:24 PM

Charlottesville sounds good. Anyone have a favorite coffee spot out that way?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/23/14 06:42 PM

Maybe this place?

mudhouse.com

213 W. Main St.
Charlottesville, VA 22902
(434) 984-6833.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/26/14 11:30 PM

What weekend?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/27/14 07:02 PM

Has anyone rode the stretch of 56 or 60 south east of 64/81?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/27/14 07:12 PM

paging tytass to the white courtesy phone...

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/27/14 08:24 PM

Has anyone rode the stretch of 56 or 60 south east of 64/81?

SR 56 is one of my favorite roads in VA provided you're riding several days after any heavy rain storm (due to wash out from gravel drives that decscend to the road). When not gravelly, it's phenominal! I prefer the side to the east of the BRP because it has much less traffic and far fewer driveways. (I thank Neil Peart of Rush for the review that road got me riding it).

US-60 is the major E/W truck traffic thoroughfare between US-460 and I-64. It's mostly 3 lane (2 lanes going up), so the downhill side can suck if you're behind a truck.

The other E/W roads across the BRP in that region I recommend are south of there ... US 501 or US-501 to SR 130 (Thanks to Shawn ... Lone_RT_Rider for this one).

N/S but still east of US-81 are few cool valley back roads (Borden Grant Trail, Forge Rd, etc.) that are nice connectors. Not the first to do so, but I stumbled upon these somewhat accidently and decided they were far superior to riding on I-81 (which I despise).

N/S but to the East of the BRP is a great little road called Buffalo Springs Turnpike. Just to the north of that is Lowesville road. Not at all technical but very scenic connector.

And a bit further south than US-501 is another E/w connector, SR 43 (which is the BRP for a while). To the east of this are some great back roads to bypass Lynchburg to the NW back towards US-501 ... and they are: Lankford Mill Rd (I think I remember as being paved), Old Cifax Rd, Coffee Rd (both definitely paved).

Anyway, Scott, believe me that's enough to put together a number of great rides. The question is as always ... how much time do you have and/or how fast are you willing to ride?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/27/14 10:32 PM

I rode over to Boone NC this last weekend to ride the Snake (421) and surrounding area. While nice, I am looking for roads that are closer to the house. It was 370 miles to get to and from the area. It's only a skosh over 200 to get to Buena Vista which looks like a gateway to some nice riding.

We could always look at making the area a Coffee Club destination so we can have some fun coming to and going home from the event.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/27/14 11:04 PM

We could always look at making the area a Coffee Club destination so we can have some fun coming to and going home from the event.

You won't hear any argument from me on that score!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/28/14 12:59 AM

Yea, I was out that way last week. Stayed at the KOA at Natural Bridge.A lot of great riding in that area as well as some fantastic photo opportunities. Also, some nice attractions- Natural Bridge, Foam Henge, Safari Park etc etc. For me it's a bit far for coffee. It's 3 hours 1 way. I can get the wife to agree to my coffee runs when I can be home mid afternoon to take over with the kiddos.

You won't hear any argument from me on that score!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/28/14 12:29 PM

It is 200+ miles one way for us down here in the Hampton Roads area. Depending on the weekend, I would make the ride to the Coffee Club, meet for coffee, go ride some roads after meeting, stay the night in the area, get up the next morning and ride some more roads, then head home.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/31/14 09:53 PM

What if we did this place in C-ville on June 14th. I know that's father's day weekend, would that mess up being able to attend?

mudhouse.com

213 W. Main St.
(434) 984-6833.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/01/14 02:20 AM

What if we did this place in C-ville on June 14th.

mudhouse.com

213 W. Main St.
(434) 984-6833.

Works for me.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/04/14 06:41 PM

*BUMP*

Is this date a go or no go?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/04/14 09:26 PM

Lets go for it!

Saturday, June 14th
11am
Mudhouse Coffee
213 W. Main St.
Charlottesville, Va. 22902
(434) 984-6833

Comment if you're IN! I'll message you my cell number so we can get in touch enroute if necessary.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/06/14 01:37 AM

I'll do my best.

Chris
Posted By: KTsRidin

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/07/14 12:37 PM

Hello BMWST world! Been too long!
James, thanks for the nudge. I'm coming back from a week in PHIL for work, but going to try to make it to CC on the 14th.

Hope to meet some new folks and renew some old friendships smile

Cheers,
Kirsten
(aka, IBA #404, Hey Ranger, and a bunch of others)

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/07/14 05:17 PM

Fantastic Kirsten. Hope to see you there. These meet ups are kind of hit or miss. We've had 10 people show up and we've had 1 person show up. Gotta love those real world responsibilities. But no matter how many show up, it's always a good ride and a cup of joe, so a win for a good way to spend a few hours.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/08/14 12:04 AM

Barring rain, I will be there.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/08/14 02:35 PM

rain just cleans your stitch'

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/09/14 02:21 AM

Fantastic Kirsten. Hope to see you there. These meet ups are kind of hit or miss. We've had 10 people show up and we've had 1 person show up. Gotta love those real world responsibilities. But no matter how many show up, it's always a good ride and a cup of joe, so a win for a good way to spend a few hours.

Terri and I are hoping to make it. Rain would probably make Terri cancel. me? Well it depends on classwork, of course. But we're really hoping to make it.

Hi Kirsten!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/09/14 06:34 PM

This is looking like it will be a good group!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/12/14 05:30 AM

Unfortunately ... We're out. Between school work and a few other issues competing for my time this weekend and, well ... I just can't make it.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/12/14 01:52 PM

Looks like great riding weather for Saturday.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/12/14 02:33 PM

I am going to plug a route into my Garmin tonight. smile

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/12/14 07:45 PM

I should be there

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/12/14 09:08 PM

Doing the Loyal Goodson thing this weekend; will have to miss this one. Sounds like a blast, though; have a double-shot for me.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/13/14 04:45 PM

Weather is still looking fantastic for tomorrow! Will drink an extra shot of espresso for those that had to bail and act like responsible adults...Craig!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/13/14 07:56 PM

I'm planning to leave Fredericksburg about 8am. Mapped out a nice route that should take me about 3 hours to get to C'ville. All back roads except a short spot on Rt 1 and then a short spot on 250. Looking forward to a enjoyable ride.

I'm also going to be writing an article about this ride/coffee shop for Backroads Magazine. I'm pitching a new regular article to them which I think I'm going to title something like Coffee Stop or Java Road (if anyone has a catchy name i'm open for suggestions) I just thought it would be fun to write a little about the different coffee shops we visit.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/13/14 11:42 PM

My plan is to head out at 6:30 in the morning, stop for breakfast, then mosey my way up there. thumbsup

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/14/14 12:50 AM

Going to head out a bit later then you all and superslab it to F'burg before heading out Rt. 3 and getting to the nicer routes.

See you all soon - reviews sound like it's going to be crowded!

Cheers,
Kirsten

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/14/14 01:51 AM

Safe riding everyone. I'll check the forum here first thing in the morning before I get on the road. If you need me after about 7:45 I'll have my cell phone hooked up through my Sena.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/14/14 10:28 AM

Getting ready to head out. See you all soon!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/14/14 07:17 PM

Great meeting of the minds at Mudhouse coffee. I'd definitely recommend trying them out if you come to charlottesville. I had the Mudcup (2 shots espresso topped off with drip coffee) and blueberry muffin. Both were terrific. According to ktsridin the Wicked Good Bran Muffin actually was wicked good. Good coffee and conversation. Until next time.

Yea, we are much better looking in person. The camera doesn't do us justice.

Be sure and zoom in on the barista's face...she may of thought I was an alien space invader.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/14/14 07:49 PM

Home safe and sound. Great seeing everyone again! Can hardly wait for the next gathering.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/14/14 08:41 PM

There was a request for Williamsburg area this morning. I'm thinking July might be at Aromas in Colonial Williamsburg. I'll try to work out a date and get it posted up soon.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/14/14 08:56 PM

Nice to see all.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/15/14 02:25 PM

Great to reconnect and meet some new folks too!

And yes, the muffin with wicked good! I had the Mud Cup too - it had a nice kick!

Hope to make the next gathering in July (or when ever smile

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/15/14 02:39 PM

Sorry I missed it.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/15/14 04:19 PM

I'm thinking the "Alien in the Coffee Shop" might have to become a regular thing. Maybe next time we can get a group alien shot.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/17/14 05:35 PM

Our Next Meeting:

Saturday July 12, 2014
11AM
Aroma's Coffee Shop
431 Prince George St.
Williamsburg, Va.

www.aromasworld.com

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/17/14 06:22 PM

I'm not going to jinx myself and sign-up and then have to cancel. I'm just going to try to make it.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/17/14 11:02 PM

SWEET!!!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/18/14 12:15 PM

The Mrs. and I are IN!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/20/14 05:52 PM

No guarantee, but hope to join you all again next month smile

Cheers,
Kirsten

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 06/30/14 05:46 PM

Well, it looks like I am out, not in. frown

I am having Photodynamic Therapy on my face on the 10th, and won't be coming out into the sun for three days.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/04/14 12:50 AM

I'm going to have to google that one..but doesn't sound like fun if it means you can't be outside. Hope all goes well.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/07/14 02:04 PM

Looks like some possibility of scattered storms Saturday. I still plan to head to williamsburg. If it is looking really bad, I may decide to cancel. Certainly don't want anyone to be unsafe.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/07/14 03:54 PM

Well, scattered T-storms don't worry me overly much. One can often dodge them visually if not completely overcast.

Terri and I are hoping to make it. Hoping to take the Scotland-Jamestown Ferry and then come up the Colonial Parkway. If the weather's good enough, we may head up the Colonial Parkway to walk around Yorktown a bit.

I should know after tomorrow's class whether I get a bunch of homwork piled on or not. So far for this class, it's looking pretty lean on homework.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/09/14 02:36 PM

Well, we're planning on attending.

Forecast not improved, but hoping to attend regardless. Same route planned.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/10/14 12:06 PM

Well, the forecast has improve a bunch for Williamsburg area. No longer predicting scattered showers @ 40%. Howver as surounding areas, like VA Beach, still are its still a crap shoot as to what the weather will actually be.

Still planning on making it unless we get the biblical deluge like last night ... thunder woke me up at least 3 times throughout the night.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/10/14 04:38 PM

Sounds good. We got some pretty massive rain here in FXBG last night too, just a little of the thunder/lightning though.

Looking forward to seeing everyone Saturday.

Craig--does the "we" mean you better half is coming as well? It'll be great to see you both again.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/11/14 02:04 PM

Looking a little better for tomorrow morning. Looking forward to enjoying a nice ride in the morning. Gonna play around a little with a route this afternoon and see what I come up with.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/11/14 04:22 PM

Craig--does the "we" mean you better half is coming as well? It'll be great to see you both again.

Yes, if the weather forecasts holds as it currently is. If raining somewhat, I may be attend alone. If storming like the last two days, I won't be there either. Yesterday was really bad here at the beach.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/12/14 01:07 PM

Well the weather here is beautiful. However, I'm going to have to be out for the day. Jill needs me to be home today. See ya'll next month.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/12/14 02:58 PM

We're here ... only ones so far. The place is packed though ... we'll try to snag a largish table.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/14/14 03:44 PM

Was a good time had by all? Any discussion on the next location and date?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/14/14 03:51 PM

As it turned out, Terri and I were the only attendees, but yes we had a great time. The place was crowded at 11:00 and then again at 12:00., but food and coffee was exceptional! I hope we go back, but it may be wiser to do so after summer bacation so we'll have room enough to sit together.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/14/14 04:12 PM

For the next get together I submit for consideration Captain Buzzy's Beanery located at 2623 E.Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23223. Open daily. Mon through Fri, 6:30am to 7pm, Sat 7:30am to 7pm & Sun 8am to 6pm.

Buzzy's features the freshest coffees from around the world roasted and flavored right on premise.

They offer a full menu of light breakfast or lunch items, an assortment of fresh baked pastries and desserts, along with fresh roast coffees, exotic expresso drinks (iced or hot), olde time flavored cream sodas, milkshakes, smoothies, fresh squeezed juices, fresh-squeezed limeades and lemonades. And, the only place on the Hill to get an old-fashioned ice-cream cone!

Plus, it is within range to bring the Mrs with me.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/14/14 09:48 PM

Sounds good to me Scott. Would you like to take the lead on setting up a date and such?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/15/14 11:35 AM

Okay. Days for consideration are the 16th, the 23rd or the 30th.

Anyone have a preference?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/15/14 09:22 PM

My vote would be for the 30th. I'm booked the other two.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/15/14 10:59 PM

I'm leaning that way too. Hopefully it will be a little cooler and quieter.

Edit: That is Labor day weekend frown May need to push into the beginning of September.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/02/14 08:55 PM

Ok. Let's look at Capt. Buzzy's for september.

I'm going to cheat and do an easy one for me in August since it seems like schedules and holiday eat up weekends this month.

Anyone up for Sunday 17th at 1 pm at Blackstone Coffee in Fredericksburg?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/13/14 03:28 AM

Bueller...bueller? Guess everyone is busy the 17th. If anyone is interested let me know.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 09/08/14 10:47 PM

Well, we're into September. Which weekend do we want to get together?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 09/09/14 07:38 PM

If we're still looking at Blackstone in Fredericksburg, I think I could do the 20th or 21st. I'm sure I could dust off my extremely convoluted route sheet (that almost entirely avoids I-95) if anyone wants to head out from Alexandria with me.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 09/10/14 06:08 PM

I can probably do the 21st. My daughters Bday party is on the 20th. I'd be fine with Blackstone in Fredericksburg. Also, someone had mentioned a place in Richmond called Capt. Buzzy's.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 09/11/14 10:53 AM

I will be heading back home from the DC area on the 21st. A cup of Joe in Fredricksburg would make a nice stop.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 09/11/14 06:55 PM

We're going to be heading back home after a trip to Skyland in Shenandoah for the weekend. Not sure we can make it in time, but I should know closer to the event.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 09/12/14 02:50 PM

That's Blue Angels weekend for me a the Norfolk Naval Station, so I'm out the weekend of the 20th smile

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 09/19/14 01:58 PM

I can probably do the 21st. ... I'd be fine with Blackstone in Fredericksburg.

What time?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 09/20/14 10:10 PM

anytime after about 12:30/1ish would work for me. So long as I can get the battery replaced tonight. I'm planning to do the battery tonight. Need a little ride tomorrow to warm it up to do the oil change so that would be perfect.

I can probably do the 21st. ... I'd be fine with Blackstone in Fredericksburg.

What time?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 09/21/14 11:04 AM

That is too late for me. I have to be back down in Chesapeake in time to do the yard work I missed this weekend. I was thinking somewhere between 11-12.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 09/21/14 03:22 PM

Here @ 11:20. Will hang until noon.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 09/22/14 04:21 PM

Sorry I missed you yesterday Scott. Wasn't out of church until noon. Hopefully if all works out I'll see you at the FART in a couple weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed that the schedule works out.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 09/24/14 10:37 PM

October is a rather full month for me. Going to the FART the first weekend. Second weekend is open. Morton's BMW Oktoberfest the 18th. Family camping trip the last weekend.

Anyone FARTing or Coming to Oktoberfest?

Maybe we could look at the 11th or 12th as a potential day for coffee?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 09/24/14 10:40 PM

Anyone FARTing or Coming to Oktoberfest?

Oh man, did you really just go there?!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 09/24/14 11:03 PM

KT..you obviously haven't be following the FART thread too well. That one is pretty mild compared to many of the "remarks" wink

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/08/14 10:29 PM

So a couple of us "kind of" Coffee Clubbed while FARTing. But, I'm always up for an excuse to ride and get some good coffee (I've realized I am now a coffee snob)

Anyway, October appears to be pretty much shot for me. If someone else wants to do something please feel free to post. I'm going to skip into November.

November 15th
11am
The Art Of Coffee
15722 Kings Hwy
Montross, VA 22520
http://www.theartofcoffee.biz/index2.html

Yes, this is a repeat location. But I'm ok with that because I was the only one that showed up last time. It was a cool place. Used to be a mechanic shop and they renovated. So I think it would be cool to get a picture of the bikes in front of the shop.

Anyway, who's in?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/09/14 02:17 AM

I put it on my calendar. Can't say 100% I'll make it this far out, but it does seem very possible.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/09/14 02:30 AM

I'll do my best, but don't know what my call schedule looks like yet, looks like a nice little ride.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/09/14 11:23 AM

The place looks nice, too.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/09/14 01:45 PM

Yes, I think for the Tidewater folks it could certainly be made into a nice ride. A lot of cool scenery and neat little towns between.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/09/14 03:14 PM

I am down for a firm "maybe".

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/09/14 06:59 PM

Is that stronger or weaker than a "definite maybe"?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/10/14 12:42 AM

Is that stronger or weaker than a "definite maybe"?

Equal.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/12/14 02:28 PM

Things are looking better. The Mrs. is now also a firm "maybe". smile

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/16/14 03:33 PM

Using Scott's scale I'm somewhere in between a definite maybe and a firm maybe wink

Going to see about talking Jennifer into coming with again. We had a good time before - thanks!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/19/14 12:03 PM

Looks like a go for me

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/25/14 03:38 AM

Yeah, this sounds eminently do-able. Any excuse to make the run over the 301 bridge, and you guys are not just any old excuse! The 11:00 am meet-up time almost borders on humane... ideal for the dirty stay-ups amongst us... like me!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/08/14 01:14 PM

I hope it isn't this cold next week!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/08/14 02:26 PM

still a go.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/10/14 09:34 PM

Yea still a go. Trying to work out my schedule now. Wife threw a little wrench into the situation because she is going to now be out of town this weekend. Checking to see if grandma wants to hang with the kids. Otherwise I may drive out and bring them along. But I should be there one way or another.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/10/14 09:57 PM

I should be a go ... not sure about Terri yet.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/12/14 11:17 AM

My Mrs. is out. Too cold for her.

Also, the dishwasher quit on us. The new one is getting delivered on Saturday. If it hasn't arrived by time for me to leave on the ride I will make the ride. If it gets there first thing in the morning I will be installing a new dishwasher. frown

I'll post up one way or the other Saturday.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/13/14 01:19 PM

Better fire up the Gerbings for Saturday....

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/13/14 09:56 PM

Terri and I still plan to make it there ... possibly with Gerbings, foot warmers, and balaclavas in use.

Aimed at no one in particular as I have cancelled before, too ... but although we're looking forward to a ride, in this weather we're more looking forward to seeing at least a few of you folks, so please don't cancel just because its cold. Please.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/14/14 01:54 PM

please don't cancel just because its cold. Please.

What? This "hardcore" group (snicker, snicker).

We're in, just not sure if I can talk Jennifer into a brisk ride. If she wants to come and won't ride we'll be riding in the vehicle of shame. Otherwise, we'll be looking forward to a warm cup when we arrive.

Cheers all,
Kirsten

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/14/14 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: KTsRidin
please don't cancel just because its cold. Please.

What? This "hardcore" group (snicker, snicker).

We're in, just not sure if I can talk Jennifer into a brisk ride. If she wants to come and won't ride we'll be riding in the vehicle of shame. Otherwise, we'll be looking forward to a warm cup when we arrive.

Cheers all,
Kirsten

Oh yeah! Hardcore group ... that's so us (also not true)! wink No need for shame about driving in ... why, if it ends up too cold perhaps Terri and I'll just trailer the bike there. rofl

I just didn't want to show up and no one be there (again). That's all. (I know ... whaaaaa!)

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/14/14 08:05 PM

I may be coming via the truck. So far I haven't been able to work out childcare and such. So if I can come at all it will probably be with my two youngest. I'll post in the morning If I'll make it or not.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/14/14 10:41 PM

I don't have electrics so i'll most likely be coming in the car.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/15/14 05:33 AM

Unfortunately I'm out. My wife's travel plans got changed again so I wouldn't be able to leave Fredericksburg until 11.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/15/14 12:36 PM

Jennifer and I will be there.... but in the car. I've got work travel so I had to leave the bike behind.

See you all there (sorry to miss you James) around 11am!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/15/14 01:03 PM

I'm heading out about 8:45 for around an 11:00 arrival. Coming in the car.

Chris, if you want a ride call me @ five 1 five nine 1 8 one.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/15/14 02:17 PM

Granddaughter duty calls -- rats!!!! Gotta be a good Poppi.

<<<<sigh>>>>

Have a cup for me, though.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/15/14 08:59 PM

nice to see everybody. A beautiful but very brisk fall day... I'll try and upload some of the video off of the go pro later of the trip up. the spinach, feta, and tomato omlette was delish.

chris

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/15/14 09:33 PM

it cracks me up I have to go 100+ miles to see 3 people who live within 20 minutes of me.... glad to see everyone anyhow...

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/15/14 10:37 PM

it cracks me up I have to go 100+ miles to see 3 people who live within 20 minutes of me.... glad to see everyone anyhow...

And we did so in very brisk temps. We had fun visiting with everyone ... great conversation ... nice back road ride on the return, but Terri's doubting she'll ever ride when its so cold again. Perhaps a pair of Gerbings pants liners will change her mind.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/15/14 10:39 PM

Some Irish comfort food (corned beef and cabbage) is simmering away, hot showers next, followed by a toasty fire and a good movie.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/16/14 12:12 AM

I prepped the dishwasher for installation, but set it aside so I could cook up pork chops. They were delicious!

It was great seeing everyone today! Hope to see everyone again soon!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/16/14 01:38 PM

I don't see the problem here. grin

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/25/14 01:59 PM

I don't see the problem here. grin

James - we all decided we needed to have a spot in Tidewater and that would get all the NoVA folks to show smile

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/04/14 07:52 PM

Great idea clap

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/06/14 12:38 PM

Here is an interesting looking place in Newport News

Aromas Coffeehouse

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/21/14 04:41 PM

I suppose we're talking in January at this point?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/22/14 03:42 PM

Dec... only a few days left ->
Jan... lots of choices

When?!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/24/14 11:34 AM

January will be tough for me. We have people coming to visit either the weekend of the 10th or the 31st, and we are in Mexico from the 17th through the 25th.

If you all pick either the 10th or the 31st and our friends do not come on the same weekend, I will be in.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/04/15 07:26 PM

Hey all..Sorry, I've been tied up in some other stuff and haven't been on the board for awhile. Trying to look back on what I missed....did anyone set anything up for January?..

EDIT

Ok, I've gone back through now and see that nothing has been finalized as a January meeting. But it seems that a tidewater location is wanted. I haven't been to the Newport News Aromas, but I have been to the Williamsburg one. Its a nice spot. Unfortunately my weekends for January are pretty spoken for. So, I'm going to leave it up to y'all to pick a day. I will do my best to make it if I can.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/06/15 11:55 AM

The 10th opened up for me. Anyone game to meet in Newport News at Aromas Coffeehouse, say 11ish?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/06/15 02:34 PM

I'm out for this Saturday. Got 2 sick kiddos at home. I'm sure I'll be playing catch up at work this weekend. Have fun and ride safe.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/06/15 06:38 PM

Well that's funny - I'm actually up north for this weekend, so I'm out for Saturday frown

James - hope the kids are feeling better soon!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/07/15 03:25 PM

See ya' there.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/07/15 05:51 PM

Not to threadjack, but is anyone planning on hitting the bike show in DC this weekend? If so, I could maybe host or assemble some sort of foolishness, either on the bike or off. Right now, the best weather days look like Friday & Sunday. As I'm off on Friday, I'm actually planning on being at the Convention Center when they open the doors at 1:00... In the past, this strategy has proven effective at minimizing exposure to excessive fingerprints and drool. If the R1200RS breaks cover at the show, I can guarantee I'll be laying down a nice base coat on both counts!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/08/15 03:29 PM

See ya' there.
I might be able to sqeeze it in, though I will be driving this time.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/08/15 03:30 PM

Not to threadjack, but is anyone planning on hitting the bike show in DC this weekend? If so, I could maybe host or assemble some sort of foolishness, either on the bike or off. Right now, the best weather days look like Friday & Sunday. As I'm off on Friday, I'm actually planning on being at the Convention Center when they open the doors at 1:00... In the past, this strategy has proven effective at minimizing exposure to excessive fingerprints and drool. If the R1200RS breaks cover at the show, I can guarantee I'll be laying down a nice base coat on both counts!

Though we often use this show as an excuse to go up to DC and take in the town, we aren't this year. Just too much going on with school. Thanks for the offer.
Posted By: marcopolo

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/08/15 06:17 PM

Will, I was thinking of doing the same thing, though I'm playing it by ear. Thought I'd avoid the crowds and spare my wife the agony of accompanying me on Saturday. I'll keep my eyes out for you, if I do make it there Friday afternoon.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/09/15 05:50 PM

On my way; should arrive approx 1:30.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/10/15 01:16 PM

Still going to check this place out....

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/10/15 01:16 PM

706 Town Center Drive Suite 104, Newport News, VA 23606

Looking to be there around 11.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/10/15 01:19 PM

Terri and I are going to try to make it there ... by car, however.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/10/15 03:37 PM

Well, Terri's still not healthy yet, so our plans changed. Danged flu just won't leave us.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/10/15 09:31 PM

Good food at that little joint, hope you and T are well soon.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/10/15 11:13 PM

Thanks. Had to cancel dinner at our fav restaurant.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/12/15 02:01 PM

The trend continues. Chris and I live about 5-7 minutes apart from each other, so naturally we travel 30 minutes to see each other. grin

It looks like a good place when the weather is nice. Lots of outdoor seating.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/12/15 03:27 PM

The Aromas location in Williamsburg is really nice, great atmosphere, and the food is really good. Unfortunately, since it's in a tourist location they are nearly always crowded. We went to Williamsburg over the holidays and there was only room for the occasional 2 top, just like last summer when we tried to do the MACC there.

So, I believe you're correct ... the Newport News location might be a nice regular thing for us HR locals.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/24/15 04:27 AM

Whats February looking like folks? I think I could probably make the weekend of the 7th or the 21st work.

What do you think about something in the Richmond area? I don't think we've done Richmond yet. Maybe:

http://blackhandcoffeeco.com/

or

http://www.sugarshackdonuts.com/

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/24/15 12:08 PM

Either date works for me, either location.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/25/15 01:49 AM

Lemme look, but I'm pretty sure the 7th is clear for me.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/26/15 01:28 PM

mmmmmmmmmm donuts

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/26/15 02:23 PM

I'm good for the 7th. Just might be good for the 21st as well.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/29/15 09:39 PM

OMG - my mouth got all crazy when I opened the doughnut shop link.... I'm in for the 7th smile

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/30/15 08:59 PM

After consulting a couple friends that have been to both Sugar Shack locations, it sounds like the Parham Rd. location will be our best option.

The place: Sugar Shack Donuts
1501 N. Parham Rd.
Time: 11am
Saturday Feb 7

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/31/15 03:07 AM

This is not helpful, as when I looked them up, I discovered that they just opened one in Alexandria... about 3.5 miles from my house. "Not a low-calorie foodstuff" indeed.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/31/15 05:02 PM

This is not helpful, as when I looked them up, I discovered that they just opened one in Alexandria... about 3.5 miles from my house. "Not a low-calorie foodstuff" indeed.

I think the name's a bit of a giveaway too. grin

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/31/15 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: marcopolo

I think the name's a bit of a giveaway too. grin

The question isn't whether donuts are healthy or that the name is a giveaway, the question is, who's going to be there next Saturday! I hope you guys can make it.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/02/15 04:02 PM

I will remind you that its Science that donuts make you smarter. The brain uses sugar as fuel, ergo- donuts are healthy and make you smarter.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/02/15 05:30 PM

I'll be there

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/04/15 06:53 PM

I'll be there as well.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/06/15 09:15 PM

I'll be there as well.
OK then, never mind. Terri's in the hospital for the evening for tests tomorrow, so I won't be there after all.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/07/15 12:16 PM

I'm out. Need to work this weekend.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/07/15 03:27 PM

Is anyone going? Getting ready to leave Fredericksburg. I'll prob be closer to 12 getting there

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/07/15 04:32 PM

Kirsten and I are here

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/07/15 05:20 PM

Sorry we couldn't make it. Was it a cold ride? Seems colder than predicted.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/07/15 08:35 PM

Cold this morning, yes. Glorious on the way back. Donuts were sinful.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/10/15 06:38 PM

Sinful is an understatement for those donuts!!!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/11/15 02:54 AM

You thought I was kidding before. My wife just got back. It's 9:55 pm. I am eating a carmel nut crunch... right now.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/13/15 04:05 PM

I still feel smarter from all the sugar!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/04/15 04:13 PM

The forecast is for 48 degrees and sunny on Sunday. Just sayin'. Provided the roads are clear of ice and slush by then, is anyone up for a ride in the DMV? As previously mentioned, we do have a full access pass to Sugar Shack in Alexandria....

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/08/15 05:52 PM

I'm probably available next Sun and am available for the weekend of the 21/22 (SPRING IS FINALLY HERE!).

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/09/15 06:49 PM

Right now, the forecast for Sunday looks pretty good. Let's keep a weather eye on the, umm, weather and see if we can put something together... donuts optional.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/10/15 01:10 AM

I'm out for March, April and May. The bike is being shipped out to San Diego this week. Doing a two week ride up the west coast starting early May. After the ride the bike will be shipped back.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/14/15 12:11 AM

Our local BMWBMW club is having our monthly Membership and Tech Day meeting, March 15th, 2015 at 9:00am - 1 PM Tech Day; and 11:00am Membership meeting, Morton's BMW, Fredericksburg, VA

Morton's will be open for purchase of parts and accessories from 9:00 - 1:00 PM

All are invited.

Bob

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/14/15 01:37 AM

I'm out for anything this month. Got my daughters birthday, her gymnastics competition and my other daughters ballet. So my weekends are booked. April is also a maybe for me. Wedding anniversary, spring break for my daughter, wife's birthday, mother in law's birthday.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/30/15 01:01 PM

What's April look like folks? I'm limited on availability with the above mentioned events. But If it works out I'd like to see some of you..some of you not so much. Only kidding, well, maybe.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/30/15 03:39 PM

Im likely available Sat 4/11 or Sun 4/12. Other than that it's not a very good month for me either. There is a very slight chance I may be available Sat 4/4 or Sat 4/18 ... but obly very slight.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/31/15 08:23 PM

Nah, Im out for this weekend 4/4.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 04/12/15 07:29 PM

I'm going to be working the Morton's BMW Spring Open House Saturday the 18th. I'll be one of the ride leaders for the demo rides. Is anyone planning to come?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 04/18/15 03:32 PM

I wanted to, but I think JVB's tech day is winning out. Got a bit of a slow start today, as the preceding week was slammin'. Have big fun, though.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 04/23/15 01:59 PM

It was a good day at Morton's - lower than usual number of folks.... because you guys were all at the tech day I'm sure.

When are we hooking up for coffee again? I'm having the DTs.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 04/28/15 02:44 PM

Yes, it was good times at Morton's Open House as always. Great to be on the demo staff with you and Jenn. I'm booked the first couple weekends of May.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 04/28/15 09:32 PM

I'm out of pocket this weekend, but should be around the next (May 9 & 10). And yes, I'll admit that Jim's tech day won out (though I would really have liked to have attended Morton's open house). I did get out for a pretty decent ride afterwards, though.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/07/15 02:12 PM

Well, I guess we've kind of been slacking the passed couple months. I'm ready for some coffee and maybe a nice donut or pastry! What are everyones weekends looking like?
Posted By: Slyder_Steve

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/12/15 11:19 AM

Newbee to the area here. Would like to meet up with some of you "locals". Say the day and I'll be there.

Steve

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/12/15 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Slyder_Steve
Newbee to the area here. Would like to meet up with some of you "locals". Say the day and I'll be there.

Steve

Hi Steve. Where are you in from? I recall seeing your name on the Board in threads, perhaps you went to UN X in Little Switzerland? I don't believe you were at UN XII. Here's a fairly well-attended event coming up lin late Sept. Click here to FART.

I don't know what my plans are for the next few weeks but I'll look to see if I can make it out ... or perhaps Terri and I can meet up with the gang for coffee.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/13/15 12:45 AM

Hit and miss, a couple of summer expeditions coming up.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/13/15 02:11 AM

I'm thinking another Sugar Shack run might be just what the insulin ordered?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/13/15 11:36 AM

last time I thought I had a near seizure sugar coma on the bike going home.

Coffee was good.

Don't know if someone who was there the last time will feel up to riding there, I heard she did some miles recently.

clap

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/20/15 01:31 PM

Don't know if someone who was there the last time will feel up to riding there, I heard she did some miles recently.

clap

Well yes, yes I did grin and I too nearly fell into a sugar coma after our last visit, but that's long warn off and I need to put a few miles on the bike again. It actually sat in the garage all weekend long!!!

Cheers,
Kirsten
(a.k.a. 2015 IBR Rider #2)

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/22/15 12:50 AM

Well, it looks like if I join it'll be on 4 wheels. As part of my get 100% out of debt plan, I had listed my bike for sale. This weekend a gentleman called me and made an offer I couldn't pass up. Don't worry, there will be another bike in my future, but it's a little ways off. Going to keep my eyes out for a cheap beater to pick up.

Anyway, do we want a repeat donut shop visit, or a new venue/location?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/22/15 02:36 PM

Congratulations ... I think ... on getting a good offer. I'm still waiting for one for the F800ST.

Yeah, sugar-high needed smile

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/22/15 10:25 PM

So, are folks showing up this Sat? If so, which Sugar Shack? What time?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/22/15 10:36 PM

I'm out of town early AM.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/22/15 10:39 PM

What day, time, location?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/28/15 12:32 PM

Well, this sort of died with off James selling his bike. How about we resurrect it?

Of course, I say this as a student with tons of homework for the next several weekends, but I could be up for a coffee gathering this Sat as long as it's not too far away.

How about somewhere on the Peninsula like Aroma's in Williamsburg or Smithfield Gourmet Bakery and Café in (yeah, you guessed it) Smithfield?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/29/15 01:03 AM

could do it in the AM on sat this weekend

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 10/29/15 01:51 PM

How about Aromas in the historic area in W'burg? Meet there, say 10:00?

Anyone else game?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/01/15 04:28 PM

Well, we were there and had a very nice time. One block over on DoG street, there was a nice farmer's market going on. After coffee we did a bit of Christmas tree ornament shopping and then had Lunch at the DoG Street pub, outside. Great people & dog watching. We took the Colonial Parkway down to Jamestown and then the Ferry over to Scotland. From there we hit all back roads to Darden's Country Store, bought a bit of their spectacular pimento cheese and their country ham salad and head home. A delightful day!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/04/15 04:56 PM

Sounds like a wonderful time... love doing the parkway and the ferry. Missed out as we had gone north, but looking forward to the next gathering.

The Sugar Shack in Fredericksburg has opened up. Perhaps a tooth-rotting visit is in order smile

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/08/15 06:04 AM

How's Sat 11/21st work for folks?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/08/15 11:57 PM

I'll be around.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/09/15 02:08 AM

Where?
Posted By: Slyder_Steve

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/09/15 11:07 AM

Sounds good!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/09/15 01:06 PM

The Sugar Shack in Fredericksburg has been suggested. What say we shoot for 11:00 gathering time there (wherever in Fred'burg it is, I don't know yet)?

Anyone down in Hampton Roads wish to meet up to ride back roads up there?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/09/15 08:24 PM

The Sugar Shack in Fredericksburg has been suggested. What say we shoot for 11:00 gathering time there (wherever in Fred'burg it is, I don't know yet)?

Anyone down in Hampton Roads wish to meet up to ride back roads up there?

I'm in, provided it isn't raining. When and where would you like to meet?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/09/15 08:54 PM

[/quote]

I'm in, provided it isn't raining. When and where would you like to meet?

Same here ... cold rain isn't my kind of weather, either. Let's hold on a while about where/when to meet down here until we find out if any more want to meet up. Sound good?

BTW: What part of town are you located?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/09/15 10:24 PM

I'd meet you slackers.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/10/15 05:57 AM

I'd meet you slackers.

I know he's not talking to us, right Scott?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/10/15 11:28 AM

I'm in the Western Branch area of Chesapeake, 664 off of Portsmouth Blvd.

I think he may be referring to us! dopeslap

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/10/15 01:53 PM

Chris lives just a mile or two from you, so starting from over that way would certainly make it easy for you guys. Let's face it, there's really no better way to start around here. One starting place is as bad as another.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/10/15 09:17 PM

I'm off pughsville rd from 664

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/13/15 04:36 PM

11am at F'burg Sugar Shack on Saturday, November 21 = copy smile

I can feel the sugar and coffee shakes already!!!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/14/15 12:20 PM

I just got finished with a sleep study at Sentara Princess Anne Hosp, just down the street from my house. After that ridiculous cluster f*ck of a night, I felt well justified in stopping by Duck Donuts across the street from the hospital on the way home. I made the coffee when I got home, but the lemon, choc/peanut butter, vanilla w/cinnamon sugar, & maple bacon donuts won't all make it until Terri wakes up!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/20/15 08:58 PM

When and where do we want to meet tomorrow for the ride up?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/21/15 12:02 AM

How about 0800 at the shell on corner of pughsville/Taylor

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/21/15 12:15 AM

Sounds good!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/21/15 12:18 AM

Sounds good to me too!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/21/15 01:30 AM

Well alrighty then.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/21/15 10:23 PM

A nice gathering! Glad so many showed up. It was great to see you all. Really appreciate the sneak attack by Mark with his new, bada$$ GS!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/21/15 10:25 PM

Good to see all. In fresh underwear now after that front wheel washout. On third doughnut.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/22/15 01:24 AM

Nice weather, good riding, great company!

Looking forward to the next one.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/22/15 02:10 AM

...Really appreciate the sneak attack by Mark with his new, bada$$ GS!

Nice, sunny day too. I enjoyed it.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/22/15 01:46 PM

someone else has crossed over to the dark side.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/22/15 04:54 PM

someone else has crossed over to the dark side.

Chris - don't you mean the "mud" side.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/25/15 05:37 PM

Sorry James missed it, but getting to hang out with the dogs (and a few riders too) was rather nice.

Cheers all - when and where next?!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/27/15 05:49 PM

Not that I'm running this thing, but as a suggestion, how about:

19 December @ 11:00 am

Crossroads Coffee & Ice Cream
3600 Forest Hill Ave, Richmond, VA 23225

They seem to have a decent menu. The coffee/tea/cocoa will be extra special if its really cold out.

I know it's pretty much in the midst of holiday shopping and prepping, but why not allow nice brisk ride to meet up with friends we might not otherwise see; a break from the hustle and bustle of holiday preparations to enjoy the spirit of the season (as well as the weather)?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/27/15 07:35 PM

Putting it on the calendar. We've got cannon firing demonstrations teeing up for the 19th, so I may not make it, but I'll give it a go. If we had a decent coffeehouse in the area I'd suggest Fort Monroe so folks could also enjoy the demos, but alas, that is why I must ride!!!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/27/15 10:05 PM

I could do that.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 11/27/15 11:43 PM

On the radar...

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/18/15 11:00 PM

Think I am going to pass on this one. Forecast is for a low of 32 and a high of 49.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/19/15 12:39 AM

Gonna pass as well, due to schoolwork.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 12/19/15 03:32 AM

Well, there's always January ...

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/15/16 03:43 PM

Well, there's always January ...
And it's flyin by already. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/15/16 09:08 PM

Wait, hold on -- I thought I heard the BeullerPhone ringing here in the BatCave... I see the forecast for tomorrow (Saturday, January 16, 2016) calls for partly cloudy, a high of 49 (!), and zero chance of precip here in beautiful Alexandria. And we have a Sugar Shack of our very own now, which is conveniently located right next door to an excellent cafe known as the Lost Dog. If you Chesapeakers would care to amble up this way, I might could share with you a secret stash ride or two, provided that we don't start at some ungodly hour of the morning. What say you, lads? Donuts to start, sammies when we get back? A nice humane 10:30 a.m. start time? I'll turn up there then, but only if I get at least one solid subscriber.

Sugar Shack Donuts
804 N Henry St, Alexandria, VA 22314

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/15/16 09:11 PM

Yes, and a very happy birthday to our favorite organizer while I'm at it.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/15/16 11:55 PM

Other plans tomorrow.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/16/16 02:30 PM

Sorry for the last-minute nature of this ride; still hoping to reel someone(s) in, though, as the temps are set to drop again starting tomorrow. Can adjust start time if it helps any.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/16/16 03:14 PM

Sorry ... I wasn't actually suggesting today ... but I do wish I could join you today, Will. But alas ... still busy.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/16/16 04:00 PM

No worries, Craig. Hope you get less busy in the near soon. School should be winding down soon, though eh?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/17/16 08:35 PM

I was flying home from Mexico yesterday. Wet and white out there today.
Posted By: ArmyGuy

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 01/17/16 10:33 PM

Wish I would have seen this sooner. I rode up to the Michaux yesterday. Very fun ride through the mountain.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/15/16 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: ArmyGuy
Wish I would have seen this sooner. I rode up to the Michaux yesterday. Very fun ride through the mountain.

What and where is this Michaux you speak of, Mike. Are you talking about the State Forest in PA?
Posted By: Glenn Reed

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/15/16 07:43 PM

Craig, I'm pretty sure you are correct. Most of the SMIB's just call it the Michaux for short.

The funny thing is, that's where I was riding when I took the picture that is my current avatar!

And yes, that is gravel under the RT's tires. rofl

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/15/16 08:45 PM

Thanks.

In looking it up I realized I do know the place, but I haven't been to that specific area in a very long time, certainly not on a bike since getting back into riding 10 yrs ago. In fact, other than driving along Rt 30 and visiting CW battlefields/routes, I haven't been in that forest since taking my Yamaha 550 up through there several decades ago. I've done a bit of hiking in that area even further back.

BTW: I'm not in the least surprised there's gravel under your wheels. Gravel should in no way stop an RT, unless you're one of those who doesn't like to get their bike a little dirty. IMO new places to go and/or sights to see are the best motivator for riding ... not showing off a pristine bike finish.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/19/16 11:45 PM

Craig, you are correct. The Michaux State Forest in PA.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 02/20/16 02:32 AM

Thanks. Great Pics.

BTW: Check out this thread (CLICK HERE). Would be cool to see you there.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/10/16 05:42 PM

Anyone up for a coffee meet-up on Sat 3/16?
Posted By: Glenn Reed

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/10/16 06:10 PM

Craig, I'm guessing you were looking at April, where the 16th does fall on a Saturday. In March, the 19th is the closest possibility. (I know, I just can't help it...)

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/10/16 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Glenn Reed
Craig, I'm guessing you were looking at April, where the 16th does fall on a Saturday. In March, the 19th is the closest possibility. (I know, I just can't help it...)

Yes, I meant Sat 3/19. just a typo, thanks.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/10/16 11:27 PM

I could probably.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/11/16 09:33 PM

Where you thinking of going Craig?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/12/16 05:56 AM

Well, I may not be able to make it (depends on being able to rescheduling a prior commitment), so I don't want to make the call. However, the Sugar Shack didn't suck.
Posted By: Rocer

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/12/16 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Glenn Reed

Yes, I meant Sat 3/19. just a typo, thanks.

Whew! For a moment there I thought we had to convert dates to metric dopeslap

wave Have fun at the coffee clatch if you make it. Our sugar bush is running full tilt and the bike shed is still behind a wall of snow.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/12/16 09:36 PM

Well, I may not be able to make it (depends on being able to rescheduling a prior commitment), so I don't want to make the call. However, the Sugar Shack didn't suck.

Well, then let me throw this one out there:

Duck Donuts 4655 Monticello Ave, Williamsburg, VA 23188

It could be a ferry ride for those of us South of Williamsburg.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/13/16 05:28 PM

Great suggestion ... I'm still trying to reschedule my until-recently-forgotten commitment for next Saturday. Hope I can make it.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/14/16 09:39 PM

Brian H and his lovely & talented S.O. are coming up for a visit this weekend (sadly, w/o bike), so I'm afraid I'll have to miss the latest Donut Quest. I may have to visit the Alexandria Sugar Shack for a consolation prize....

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/14/16 10:26 PM

Need a time....

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/15/16 08:45 PM

Brian H and his lovely & talented S.O. are coming up for a visit this weekend (sadly, w/o bike), so I'm afraid I'll have to miss the latest Donut Quest. I may have to visit the Alexandria Sugar Shack for a consolation prize....

Happy to hear it when BMWST members get together outside of riding as well. But you all could drive down, right? wink

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/15/16 08:53 PM

Well, then let me throw this one out there:

Duck Donuts 4655 Monticello Ave, Williamsburg, VA 23188

It could be a ferry ride for those of us South of Williamsburg.

I was able to reschedule, so I'm IN.

Scott, you called the place so set the time and at least Chris and I will show. We could meet up again at the Shell station on the way. I promise not to leave you guys waiting on me like last time. smirk

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/15/16 09:48 PM

Is 9:30 at the Shell station too early?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/15/16 10:35 PM

Nah, not for me. So that puts us at Duck Donuts in W'burg at about 11:00 am, worst case for those who mau try to meet up last minute, right?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/16/16 12:36 AM

10-4

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/16/16 08:47 PM

Nah, not for me. So that puts us at Duck Donuts in W'burg at about 11:00 am, worst case for those who mau try to meet up last minute, right?

That is what I am thinking. We should be there somewhere around 11.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/18/16 11:19 PM

Windy then rain in afternoon...you guys still IN?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/19/16 12:22 AM

I'll be at the shell at 0930

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/19/16 02:10 AM

I'll be at the shell at 0930

See you then.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/19/16 10:46 AM

I'm still in.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/19/16 11:04 AM

See you at 9:30.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/19/16 08:38 PM

Nice cold day. I have once again angered the back gods. Sh*t.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 03/21/16 12:08 AM

Happy to hear it when BMWST members get together outside of riding as well. But you all could drive down, right? wink

Ahhh, I saw this too late to adjust our fine-tuning. We did have an early lunch at a new killer Pan-Asian place called Momofuku in DC, though -- your good company was missed, but the cold sesame noodles with baby spinach, sausage, and glazed pecans was pretty rockin'. Highly recommended the next time you're rolling through the district. The brisket buns were pretty fine, too....

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/10/16 06:36 PM

confused Any plans for May? confused

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/10/16 07:01 PM

I'm in a state of perpetual readiness when it comes to donuts, Scott. Great seeing you (albeit briefly) at START a couple weeks back, BTW.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/11/16 05:36 AM

How did this become about donuts? I thought this was a coffee club? wink

Well, I might be good for this weekend or a much less chance the next.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/11/16 10:04 AM

I can do this Saturday or the 28th.

This Saturday is showing a chance of isolated thunder showers.

As I recall The Art of Coffee (15722 Kings Hwy, Montross, VA 22520) had some really good coffee and eats.

Yes? No? Maybe?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/11/16 03:55 PM

Maybe, but leaning toward yes if it's not pissing down rain and we're not looking at too early a start (circle-bar military time). It's been a pretty fierce couple weeks since my return from START, as I've been paying dearly for those 4 glorious days off!

Art of Coffee looks like a good pick, though; good call on that one Scott. At some point (maybe in June?), I'd like to drag you guys a bit further northward for a visit to Thursday's Steak & Crab House in Galesville. Dedicated MC parking, a covered patio right on the water, and killer crabcakes. They even have decent (read: not O'Doule's) N/A beer. I have a wonderfully convoluted way of getting there, too.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/12/16 11:24 AM

Im a Yes for this Sat at Art of Coffee. Have a lot to to this weekend so I'd prefer to get arrive 10-ish and leave before noon.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/12/16 12:33 PM

I'll check but I should be good also

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/12/16 02:37 PM

Excellent. Shall we meet up again at the Shell station?

Scott? You up for it?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/12/16 06:10 PM

Excellent. Shall we meet up again at the Shell station?

Scott? You up for it?

Sounds good to me. What time do you want to meet at the Shell station?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/12/16 09:26 PM

Does meeting at 8:00 sound good?

We could take the back roads up and back, and still get back in time to get some stuff accomplished.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/12/16 10:01 PM

I'm good.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/12/16 10:52 PM

Will has trAck meet in glen allen in the morning, I'm out

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/13/16 11:28 AM

Anyone else showing up or is it just Craig and I?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/13/16 05:45 PM

Wait, I have a track meet tomorrow? Crap, I really should've been training for this. So I guess I'll see you tomorrow morning for breakfast instead. 10:00 am at the restaurant (NOT the mystery Shell station), yes?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/13/16 08:37 PM

Google maps is telling me about 2 1/2 hours to get there from where Craig and I are meeting. That should put us there around 10:30-10:45.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/14/16 03:33 AM

Im planning on making it as scheduled.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/14/16 05:34 AM

It is 1:30 in the morning. No idea when (or if) I am going to make it to sleep tonight. I'm going to pull out.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/14/16 12:21 PM

Im on my way, Will. Should be there before 11;00.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/14/16 12:55 PM

Me too. Leaving in about 15 minutes.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/14/16 02:43 PM

I'm sitting here at Art of Coffee.after having a lovely moron ng of riding. LIG! :-)

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/14/16 03:35 PM

Rub it in. I finally fell asleep sometime after 3:30. Got woke up at 6:30.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/14/16 08:23 PM

Yeah, I was short of sleep, though not as bad as that, but today's ride and fantastic coffee, lunch, and conversation with Will was worth it.

Had a great time!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 05/14/16 11:58 PM

Yes, me too -- wish you could've been there, Scott, but riding sleep deprived can be worse than riding drunk - probably a good call on your part. Great call on the restaurant, though -- I'd go back there for sure.

Craig, it was great seeing you for sure, but I almost paid the price for the (very nice) after-lunch detour -- apparently, my rain prediction skills were spot on, and as I was crossing the Wilson, there were 35 - 40 mph gusts, then rain... for the last 10 minutes of the ride! Not a soaker by any means, but getting blown around on that bridge will sure get your heart rate up.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/29/16 01:45 AM

OK, the last one was back in May. This weekend looks like it might be a bit of a washout, but what do you folks think about putting together something for next weekend (August 6 or 7)? I got 3 hours in last Sunday when it was a hunnert freakin' degrees; ATGATT in July is like having your own personal, portable sauna. Swapping back to my stock wind screen helped; that and planning a route that didn't involve a lot of 25 mph zones or traffic. I'd be happy to host and drag folks around the outer reaches of NOVA if you'd like.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/29/16 05:30 PM

My son is visiting this weekend, so I'm out.

BTW: I might be headed out to Willville Moto Campground again next weekend. Only this time I plan to NOT continue down gravel roads when scouting so I can avoid a road like this again:

Keep in mind that the big tree in the middle of the picture is nearly straight up ... that gives you a sense of the grade.

This next one shows the surface ... loose rocks on big rocks.

I made it, but I ain't goin back on a big ole GSA with side bags and a full tank of gas.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/29/16 09:53 PM

The Mrs. is out of town, so I have to stick close to the homestead this weekend.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/31/16 10:12 AM

This does not look like fun on a loaded GSA. Where was it?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/01/16 10:23 AM

Craig,

What tires are you running on your GSA?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/01/16 02:01 PM

That road is just a few miles north of Sparta NC. I was there scouting in the area for the upcoming FART ride event

There's a lot of tame gravel in that area, but this was the fourth gravel segment that I rode that morning. Would I do it on a smaller bike with other riders, probably. Would I do it on a GSA with other people, probably not. I certainly wouldn't do it again alone. I'm just not that experienced an off-road rider. Other more experienced off-roaders, have at it.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/01/16 02:05 PM

Craig,

I'm running Shinko 705s. I'm on my 2nd set front, third set rear. They'd have lasted longer but I once forgot to fully inflate my tires after extensive off-road riding and rode home 500 miles on under-inflated tires. Really killed that set.

They are pretty good for off-road and yet not too buzzy on road.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/01/16 09:09 PM

Craig,

I'm running Shinko 705s. I'm on my 2nd set front, third set rear. They'd have lasted longer but I once forgot to fully inflate my tires after extensive off-road riding and rode home 500 miles on under-inflated tires. Really killed that set.

They are pretty good for off-road and yet not too buzzy on road.

I can see where those tires (80/20) would make that section even more challenging eek

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/01/16 11:51 PM

Meh,...I'd do it on the RT wink

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/02/16 04:10 AM

Have at it, Richard. Be my guest.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/27/16 02:41 PM

That looks fantastic, but better suited to a KTM dirt bike, for sure.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 09/05/16 10:13 PM

So, I haven't logged on here in about a year. Glad to see the coffee group is still going strong. When I sold my GS in July 15 I just couldn't watch everyone else having so much fun. haha. Anyway, my GS has been well loved by the guy that bought her in NC. He regularly sends me pictures of their camping adventures.

When's the next coffee? I haven't gotten another bike yet, but I miss seeing everyone.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 09/05/16 10:55 PM

So, I haven't logged on here in about a year. Glad to see the coffee group is still going strong. When I sold my GS in July 15 I just couldn't watch everyone else having so much fun. haha. Anyway, my GS has been well loved by the guy that bought her in NC. He regularly sends me pictures of their camping adventures.

When's the next coffee? I haven't gotten another bike yet, but I miss seeing everyone.

Well, we miss you, too. However, I wouldn't say the MACC is going strong so much as the discussion thread is going strong. wink It's been way too hot for people to brave it for coffee ... but now that the heat wave seems to have ended perhaps someone will be brave and make a suggestions. Terri and I have been discussing a Richmond Sugar Shack run sometime this next weekend if the weather is good.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/18/17 01:54 PM

Well, it's been a long time, my friends. Is there any interest in getting together for coffee and donuts anytime in the next few weeks?

I know, it's a hot time of the year, and this weekend looks to be in the high 90's, but if we wait a week or two perhaps we'll find a weekend that's not so bad.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from you ...

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/18/17 05:10 PM

I'm game.

smelling like game in this weather, but I'll take a ride...

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/19/17 09:58 AM

Yeah, not this weekend ... we'd be so gamey that someone would shoot us ... Prolly our wives!

BTW I like your signature line. One of my favorite tunes by them. thumbsup
Posted By: OleJarhead

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/23/17 06:07 PM

Ole Jarhead @ Lake Anna reporting for duty. You say where and when and I'll ask my CG (Bride) for a Liberty Chit and I am likely to be there

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/24/17 05:39 AM

OK, this coming weekend the weather looks less grueling. How about we meet up

When: Sat, 7/29 ... how about 9:30 am?
Where: The Coffeehouse
Located in: Williamsburg Crossing Shopping Center
Address: 5251 John Tyler Hwy #6, Williamsburg, VA 23185

Really good coffee. A few bites to eat. Some nice tables outside. Easy access to the Nickle-Dime loop (Routes 5 and Routes 10 bounded by the Jordan Point Bridge and the Jamestown Ferry.) IOW easy in and out away from I-64 (very important).

Any takers?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/24/17 12:31 PM

sure craig, unless the president has some other task for me, I'll see you there.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/24/17 04:03 PM

Sounds good. Think I'll take 10 to the Scotland ferry.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/24/17 07:40 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinkin we'd do to, Scott. Take the Ferry, go have coffee, perhaps ride up 5 to the bridge, then down 10 back to the beltway.

If you or Chris wanna meet up on the way there and/or after, that's good for me.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/24/17 10:36 PM

I'm up for anything as far as a meet

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/25/17 08:51 PM

Say when and where.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/26/17 12:40 AM

How about 8:00 at that Shell station near Chris' house ... on Pughsville Rd, right?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/26/17 12:44 AM

Unfortunately the forecast looks pretty danged crappy. Let's see if it changes.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/26/17 01:11 AM

Rog, I'll watch the weather

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/26/17 10:13 PM

Well, I've been watching since yesterday and it's done nothing but change continuously. Right now, however, it's looking pretty righteous, but we'll have to see what it looks like Friday night.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/27/17 03:43 PM

Wx is all over ... as expected. Can't change that. However, what I do think we should change is the meet-up time at The Coffeehouse. Let's shoot for 10:00-ish.

Didn't consider that the Ferry will likely cause us to sit and wait a while.

Likely it's just the 3 of us that will be going, but just in case someone else wants to show up, I thought we make the plan meet reality.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/27/17 08:44 PM

Right now it looks gnarly for Friday night, tapering down early Saturday AM.

Keep me updated either here or via text if you plan to cancel. Am I to presume shifting from 9:30 to 10:00 would also shift our meet up from 8:00 to 8:30?

Looks like we need to keep oleJarhead in the loop too since he rogered up earlier in the thread.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/28/17 03:49 PM

Right now it looks gnarly for Friday night, tapering down early Saturday AM.

Keep me updated either here or via text if you plan to cancel. Am I to presume shifting from 9:30 to 10:00 would also shift our meet up from 8:00 to 8:30?

Looks like we need to keep oleJarhead in the loop too since he rogered up earlier in the thread.

Will let you know. As for our morning meet up time to ride changing, No. The point of changing the arrival at the coffeehouse was to account for the possibility of losing up to a half hour waiting at the ferry.

I'll send oleJarhead a PM.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/28/17 09:59 PM

Got my ears on

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/29/17 02:11 AM

Well, the weather looks like crap. I don't think I'm up for riding around in thunderstorms and then showers and possible downpours.

So, I think I'm going to wuss out. Sorry guys.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/29/17 10:54 AM

Okay. Let's shoot for another weekend in the near future.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 07/29/17 09:14 PM

Good call.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/02/17 03:21 PM

This Saturday? Same Bat time, same Bat channel? Looking pretty warm, pushing 90, and a some scatter T-storms @ 40% ... just calls for cool gear. Perhaps earlier launch?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/03/17 06:05 PM

I'm out of town this weekend.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/03/17 10:59 PM

Gah!

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/04/17 11:15 AM

No takers? Well, never mind for this week. I may just head up there myself.
Posted By: Chris K

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/04/17 12:28 PM

Craig, I am up for a morning ride tomorrow. Lexington, NC looks about half way! grin

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/04/17 07:26 PM

Dang, I went ahead an made other plans. Thanks for the idea, though.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/07/17 12:27 AM

I rode up to the D.C.area to see a buddy Friday. Spent the night, then rode home on Saturday. Need to get my rear tire changed out this upcoming Saturday.
Posted By: Wildpiper

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/10/17 04:12 PM

Just moved to the D.C. area a couple months ago, hoping to meet some of you at some point.

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/10/17 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Wildpiper
Just moved to the D.C. area a couple months ago, hoping to meet some of you at some point.

Hi ______ (insert name here) ...

We can keep trying to get this thing a-rolling again, but I'm about to get busy on the weekends with a part-time gig I have going. I know for sure I can't make it Sat. 19 Aug.

This wknd's wx looks kinda crappy, but I've been known to make it if its not a constant downpour or lots of lightning. So, I won't count it out completely ... well, not yet anyway.

BTW: What is your name?

Re: Mid Atlantic Coffee Club - 08/11/17 12:46 PM

Wow, the weather is looking awful ... 80% Thundershowers. Perhaps another weekend?
© 2017 BMWSportTouring Forums