BMWSportTouring

Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC

Posted By: workin' them angels

Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 05:39 AM

[Linked Image]

To make an on-line reservation at the GROUP RATE, please follow these instructions:

1. Go to the Reservations Page at: http://www.reservations.meadowbrook-inn.com
2. Select your Arrival and Departure Dates and Number of Adults
3. Enter the following access code to view the discounted rate: 80418B

You can also call the hotel at 828-295-4300 and use group code: BMW Motorcycle Group or 80418B

EDIT: Kinsley bike and I whistle encourage you to 'follow' this thread so that you're kept informed of important announcements, dinner and route postings. . . and the occasional banter rofl stir old. By following the thread, you won't have to go searching page by page for announcements - they'll be delivered to your email inbox. To follow the thread, simply click the down arrow in the upper left box labeled "Thread Options" and highlight "Follow" thumbsup

[Linked Image]
as of Oct 28th, 2017
Posted By: Kinsley

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 11:35 AM

IN..I think I can make this one bike
Posted By: cyclingkk

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 12:25 PM

Dang... that was quick! Entered info and website says already filled up... dopeslap
Posted By: marcopolo

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by cyclingkk
Dang... that was quick! Entered info and website says already filled up... dopeslap

Several of us have had the same issue. I'm sure the problem is that the reservations site shows the rooms as "blocked", and won't allow them to be reserved online. I'm sure calling the hotel will work just fine.

EDIT: just called the hotel and reserved a room for Bob (Endobobdds), and me.
Posted By: ltljohn

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 12:42 PM

I have the dates blocked on my work calendar. so put me down as hopefully in!
Posted By: Burt

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 12:46 PM

IN.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 12:54 PM

Sorry about the on-line reservation problem. For now weโ€™ll have to call in until they release the rooms to us on-line. At least we know our rooms are blocked
Posted By: Marty Hill

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 02:23 PM

In for friday and saturday nights. Wow! 6 months in advance.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 02:26 PM

Yes Marty, we know youโ€™re busy, so we try to give as much notice as possible so you can squeeze a couple of days into your schedule ๐Ÿ˜
Posted By: Marty Hill

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 02:31 PM

Hope to see you at the coffee place soon. Good to be back in the states again.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 03:48 PM

I have been told that the online reservation system is working now
Posted By: Burt

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 05:56 PM

I have a room booked from Wed.-Sunday.
Posted By: scout6

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 07:41 PM

In. Booked Wednesday to Sunday.
Posted By: RightSpin

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 09:42 PM

In, and reservations made.
Posted By: TyTass

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 09:56 PM

IN, we think. Going to wait a couple weeks before making reservations.
Posted By: lawnchairboy

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 10:07 PM

In.
Posted By: Bernie

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 10:22 PM

IN!

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by TyTass

Jennie and I are IN and reservation made Wed-Sun.

Craig, why wait if cancellation is so generous at only 2 days. They only require a credit card but donโ€™t charge it. It was gr8 seeing you and Terri. Maybe this time we can grab a bite to eat and chat more.

Dave, not understanding the arithmetic for 4 days...2*75+2*110=370 and that averages out to $92.50/day....unless Iโ€™m just java dopeslap

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 10:49 PM

Craig, why wait if cancellation is so generous at only 2 days. They only require a credit card but donโ€™t charge it. It was gr8 seeing you and Terri. Maybe this time we can grab a bite to eat and chat more.

Dave, not understanding the arithmetic for 4 days...2*75+2*110=370 and that averages out to $92.50/day....unless Iโ€™m just java dopeslap

Whatโ€™s wrong with our math? 2x75=150, 2x110=220, 150+220=370, 370 divided by 4 = 92.50 per day average. You stay 4 nights to get that average.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kinsley

Whatโ€™s wrong with our math? 2x75=150, 2x110=220, 150+220=370, 370 divided by 4 = 92.50 per day average. You stay 4 nights to get that average.

The image says $87.50 for 4 nights. What am I missing here?

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 10:59 PM

I see that now, thanks for pointing it out.
I think I sent the info to Dave that the hotel sent me without checking the math.
We were going back and forth on rates to keep it under $100 per night, so we were averaging and saying it had to be a 3 night stay to get under $100
We will get it corrected.
Posted By: Bud

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 11:11 PM

In๐Ÿ˜

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/07/17 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bud
In๐Ÿ˜

Yay!
What would you be riding this time?

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/08/17 01:02 AM

Thanks for the warm and enthusiastic response for START! I'm on the road this week, so I'lll be a little slower than normal on responses. Keith and Ken - I'm not sure what you're referring to, the slide seems to have the correct math when I look at it?! dontknow money computer

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/08/17 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by workin' them angels
Thanks for the warm and enthusiastic response for START! I'm on the road this week, so I'lll be a little slower than normal on responses. Keith and Ken - I'm not sure what you're referring to, the slide seems to have the correct math when I look at it?! dontknow money computer

I knew I was cross-eyed old Must be the age whistle
Posted By: RandyShields

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/08/17 10:00 AM

In for Wed. - Sun. Laura may drive up to spend a couple of nights.

Randy
Posted By: John Ranalletta

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/08/17 11:40 AM

in. registered 18-22nd thanks 2 people
Posted By: terryofperry

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/08/17 01:45 PM

In and registered Wednesday the 18th through Sunday the 22nd.

Terry
Posted By: MikeB60

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/08/17 04:43 PM

DyAnne and I are in and registered.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/08/17 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bud
In๐Ÿ˜

Yay!
What would you be riding this time?

Cold, very cold.๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Posted By: TN_R11_Girl

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/08/17 06:15 PM

Putting it on my calendar and sincerely hoping to be IN! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/08/17 09:08 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/08/17 10:07 PM

What's with the creek stuff. I'm IN and Confirmed. Will be riding Black Beauty.
Posted By: Endobobdds

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/08/17 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bud

Suspect this is Dave's way of saying we never know about Bud. grin
Looking forward to seeing you Bud no matter what you are or are not riding - just show up! thumbsup

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/08/17 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bud
In๐Ÿ˜

Originally Posted by Bud

Great Stuff, Bud! Looking forward to seeing you. Please advise me your arrival plans so I can place you in the appropriate category, Sir.

PS: Black Beauty - is that what you're calling her? She certainly is that! thumbsup For some reason I thought it's name was Unicorn?! wave

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/08/17 10:55 PM

She proudly wears unicorns as her talisman. In Wed, out Sunday.

Hope I can keep up with Endobob.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/08/17 11:14 PM

Bud, you can always say you rode many more miles than Bob at FART 2017
Posted By: BMW_Ken

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/09/17 12:40 PM

I'm in and arriving on Wednesday.
Posted By: greiffster

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/09/17 01:57 PM

In arriving Wednesday. Nicol is a definite maybe.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/09/17 02:41 PM

yes

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/09/17 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by TN_R11_Girl
Putting it on my calendar and sincerely hoping to be IN! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Don't be the same without you wave

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/09/17 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bud

yes

That's harsh! Poor Bud...
Posted By: RT_Jim

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/10/17 06:37 PM

IN! As of right now....

Unlike Craig, I'm willing to jump in and then use the generous cancellation option if needed. rofl

Jim
Posted By: DaveCinNO

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/10/17 08:31 PM

In, nice northern location.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/10/17 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bud

yes

That's harsh! Poor Bud...

revit
Posted By: Highway41

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/11/17 12:50 AM

Put me in the creek watching category.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/11/17 12:57 AM

Jim, Dave and Highway - Thanks, great to have an event to look forward to - always seems to shorten Winters hold. I'll get you updated this weekend when I get done peeping (and eating Lobstah) in Maine.
Posted By: Id's_OK

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/12/17 01:16 PM

In and reserved!

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/12/17 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Id's_OK
In and reserved!

Awesome! What mods have you made so far? Jesse's? Bet you're loving the extra power and goodies or came with. We'll have to get it dirty... thumbsup
Keith
Posted By: tallman

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/12/17 08:07 PM

So, at least 3 "new" bikes (from those that started FARTing) so far(t).
wave
Posted By: ** Chris **

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/12/17 08:43 PM

I know my track record is beyond iffy, but I made reservations arriving Thursday Leaving Sunday.
Hopefully the stars will align and I can make it next year!

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/12/17 10:00 PM

Right on.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/13/17 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by ** Chris **
I know my track record is beyond iffy, but I made reservations arriving Thursday Leaving Sunday.
Hopefully the stars will align and I can make it next year!

Chris - Just glad to know you survived the hectic Fall schedule and weather dust up. We'll look forward to seeing you in Blowing Rock! clap
Posted By: randy

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/13/17 02:26 PM

I think Christopher's signature line is now incorrect :-)

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/13/17 02:43 PM

Correct you are. I changed it in the "Bikes" field but not the signature. Should be corrected now.
Posted By: Chris K

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/13/17 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by randy
I think Christopher's signature line is now incorrect :-)

Ahhhh... Randy, I think you sold your KLX 250 a while ago??????

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/13/17 07:44 PM

Tough crowd. whistle

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/14/17 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bud
Tough crowd. whistle

You fix that 1150R yet? Tick tock..

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/14/17 01:00 AM

Needed to order a new battery. The old one gave up the ghost and wouldn't recharge.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/14/17 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bud
Needed to order a new battery. The old one gave up the ghost and wouldn't recharge.

Is that why your new to you bike failed to start during FART '17? Or our you talking about a car, pacemaker, or some other battery? smirk
Posted By: jimwms

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/14/17 09:39 AM

You guys are amazing. Looks like another great event. In; arriving Thursday.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/14/17 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Endobobdds
Originally Posted by Bud

Is that why your new to you bike failed to start during FART '17? Or our you talking about a car, pacemaker, or some other battery? smirk

No, the failure to start and repeated efforts seemed to kill of the 7 year old battery. wave
Posted By: Blind Squirrel

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/15/17 08:52 PM

On the radar. Have to make sure the Mrs doesn't have anything on the calendar.
Posted By: Foot

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/16/17 02:58 PM

IN Wednesday to Sunday clap
Posted By: S.O.B.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/18/17 04:19 PM

Michelle and I are in - Arriving Wednesday night, leaving Sunday.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/18/17 04:48 PM

Nice to be back home, hope you all are able to get some riding in this week. I'm heading out ASAP. burnout

[Linked Image]

Posted By: twistyguy

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/18/17 06:07 PM

In Wednesday to Sunday. Will be looking forward to it all Winter!

Thanks for everything.

Peter

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/18/17 06:14 PM

Peter - Great to have you with us again - we missed you this Fall.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/18/17 07:54 PM

A BIG SHOUT OUT to Greiffster and all of our relentless administrators for making this happen. I wish I could take credit for the idea, but one of our faithful members woke up from a nap rofl stir and realized he'd been having a nightmare where he was trapped scrolling through page after page looking for posted routes only to find posts about plans to sell a bike, plans to buy a bike, plans to attend, plans to un-attend, plans to get a new battery for a pacemaker, mower, flashlight, garage door opener, cell phone, laptop, dog collar and the Cracker Jacks Decoder Ring. stir . . . and beer caps - good thing you don't need batteries to open those!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lone_RT_rider

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/19/17 01:25 PM

So.... For the first time since spring of 2016.... I'm

[Linked Image]

Reservations made and arriving Friday night. If it doesn't snow up here, I will be there.

Shawn
Posted By: Foot

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/19/17 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lone_RT_rider

[Linked Image]

Reservations made and arriving Friday night. If it doesn't snow up here, I will be there.

Shawn

clap clap clap clap

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/19/17 04:20 PM

Hallelujah! Can't wait to see you and hear about your progress on HD's first horizontally-opposed twin! clap

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/19/17 05:17 PM

Hallelujah! Can't wait to see you and hear about your progress on HD's first horizontally-opposed twin! clap

What's the first rule of fight club?

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/19/17 05:22 PM

[Linked Image]

Shawn

Could you send a photo so we can re-introduce ourselves? rofl

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/19/17 05:27 PM

Sure! This is me below. I send people down dirt roads with full dressed RT's........twice. wink tongue

[Linked Image]

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/19/17 05:34 PM

Hey, they could have paved that road since the first time I sent you...just checking yes

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/19/17 06:04 PM

Hey, they could have paved that road since the first time I sent you...just checking yes

Who are you kidding? You had CRS disease even back then! smile facepalm

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/19/17 06:40 PM

It always starts with me saying "Hey, there's this road..." and usually ends with the other person saying...well, things I can't repeat here dopeslap

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/19/17 08:59 PM

My lawyer will be in touch shortly, you can't photo shop my body like that without permission.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/19/17 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by lawnchairboy
My lawyer will be in touch shortly, you can't photo shop my body like that without permission.

rofl

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/19/17 09:28 PM

[Linked Image]

Shawn

Don't let them give you a hard time. They only need a re-introduction because they CRS. whistle
Posted By: Matts_12GS

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/25/17 05:17 PM

Ditto

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/25/17 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Matts_12GS

Ditto

Cool... smile

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/25/17 06:57 PM

Oops! I may have spoken too soon. 25th college reunion is that weekend. So I may have to come up Weds and leave Friday grin
It's also the 25th anniversary of the founding of our fraternity chapter, and since I was a founder, it's kind of a big deal. Ok, let the "frat boy" ribbing begin lurk

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/25/17 07:02 PM

Ok, let the "frat boy" ribbing begin lurk

You mean like "Funny, I don't remember receiving a check for being your friend." java whistle

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/25/17 07:10 PM

Ouch! cry

When they go low, we get high. Or something like that...

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/25/17 07:41 PM

Ouch! cry

When they go low, we get high. Or something like that...

But you said, let it begin! smile You know it's all in jest my friend. I took tons of crap from my Sigma Chi and TKE room mates when I was doing Calculus homework on bar night. smile Of course, they got jobs out of college stocking shelves as a rep for a potato chip company. lol.
Posted By: RightSpin

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/25/17 08:14 PM

Being a frat boy is all right in my book...if your nickname was 'Bluto.'

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/25/17 08:27 PM

Ok, let the "frat boy" ribbing begin lurk

I don't suppose you could supply us with some pictures? smirk
Posted By: ** Chris **

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/25/17 09:15 PM

It always starts with me saying "Hey, there's this road..." and usually ends with the other person saying...well, things I can't repeat here dopeslap
'

Originally Posted by lawnchairboy

Photoshop couldn't make my body look like that!

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/26/17 03:46 AM

Don't be so sure about the limits of Photoshop. Case in point - look how distorted and excessive Photoshop made this anonymous Indy 500 intoxicated enthusiastic spectator look after his intoxicated thoughtful friend in the hat poured water on him (he was out of booze) ! ohboy

[Linked Image]

The wife and her friend in the visor were not amused with either of us. dontknow

Edit: Note the grass stain on my friends shirt. He fell out of a Ricksha in the infield . . . . rofl

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/26/17 11:27 AM

Priceless

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/26/17 12:35 PM

Edit: Note the grass stain on my friends shirt. He fell out of a Ricksha in the infield . . . . rofl

rofl
Nice pic. Glad to hear Indy is still Indy.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/27/17 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by greiffster

rofl
Nice pic. Glad to hear Indy is still Indy.

There is quite a colorful narrative that begins about 5:45am leading up to that photo, and as one can imagine, the story continues afterwards. It will make for a good parking lot tale sometime if anyone has interest. We hold 16 seats between 3 immediate rows of seats for the 500 - so there is more going on here unseen than just the unknown fan in awe seated next to me taking a picture of the Modern Version of David.

In my defense, I will only say that Brian - the water pouring gentleman - and his son had taken his sons GF for a tour of the aforementioned Infield. Brian's son had left me in charge of a large container (accounts as to the relative amount of beverage that was remaining in the container when the chain of custody fell to me is disputed between several parties) of his seemingly innocuous beverage concoction. In their absence, I discovered how tasty said beverage was. And curiously addictive. beer By the time they returned from the infield, the mystery concoction had worked its magic not only on Brian and his son (who off camera is seated - but only because he is propped up), but also on . . . wait for it . . . Yours Truly ! Shortly after this photo was taken (for posterity purposes spittake) my wife offered to hold my drink for me. It seemed very thoughtful to me at the time, since I'd dropped my phone twice by then wave - I figured she was wanting to spare the innocent fans seated in front of me the possibility of me spilling my beverage on them. . . spittake Alert readers will have surmised by now that IF that was a concern of hers, it was not her primary concern. rofl

Many in our group that year I have known all of my life. Even so, many were overheard saying variations of this sentiment: I have never seen Dave so . . . colorful. I must have had a great tan that year??

And yes, I did get the recipe for the addictive beverage whistle
Posted By: OldBMWMaster

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/27/17 10:52 PM

Jerry & Barbie are IN

Confirmation #:
Posted By: OldBMWMaster

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/27/17 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by OldBMWMaster
Jerry & Barbie are IN

Confirmation #:

The on line reservation worked well

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/27/17 11:04 PM

Wonderful Jerry! I look forward to meeting you and Barbie! clap

Thanks also for the online registration confirmation - all it takes is one call from Kinsely to get things straightened out computer
Posted By: vhntr1

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/28/17 01:17 AM

Count me in Dave wanted to make it this spring but life gets in the way sometimes,looking forward to meeting all you guys.
Mark

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/28/17 10:13 PM

Mark - I understand how things can get in the way. So glad you have us marked down on your calendar and are planning to join us in Blowing Rock! Looking forward our time together! clap clap
Posted By: vhntr1

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/29/17 12:24 AM

Thanks looking forward to it !
Posted By: Bud T

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/31/17 01:02 PM

I'm IN! Arriving Wednesday.

Bud Thornton

Charlotte, NC

2016 R1200RT
2005 R1200RT (sold)
1995 K1100LT (sold)

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 10/31/17 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bud T
I'm IN! Arriving Wednesday.

Bud Thornton

Charlotte, NC

2016 R1200RT
2005 R1200RT (sold)
1995 K1100LT (sold)

All right Bud! STARTing on your RTW clap bike Congrats on the new bike.
Posted By: Bud T

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 11/05/17 08:08 PM

Thanks Dave. I'm looking forward to riding with my pals from Ride Smart again!

Bud T
Posted By: Nice n Easy Rider

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 11/06/17 02:56 PM

I hope to be able to make this one since I missed both the UN and the FART. My wife was diagnosed in April with primary progressive MS. It only occurs in about 10% of the MS cases and occurs later in life. Unlike the relapsing-remitting form of MS, this one steadily gets worse with no periods of improvement. She had been losing the use of her left leg for several years but the doctors were unable to diagnose the problem. Finally a neurologist realized it wasn't muscles or orthopedic but the nerves from her spine and the MRI showed the tell-tale lesions. There was no drug known to affect this type of MS but one was approved several weeks before her diagnosis. It is only known to slow the progression of disease, not stop it so we won't really know if it is working since we don't know what the rate of progression would be without it.

I've been busy trying to make the house manageable (rollators on both floors and a chair-lift from the 1st to 2nd). We've worked with a builder drawing up plans for a single-level, living-in-place home and are finalizing the deal for a lot to put it on. Right now my wife isn't comfortable with me being away since if she falls (which has happened) it can be very difficult for her to get back up. So I'll need to see if I can find someone to stay with her while I'm at the START. I also need to work on her new-found anxiety of what will happen to her if something should happen to me.

So I've missed seeing you all and hope to see you in April. In the meantime, hope everyone has great holidays. Stay safe.
Posted By: Slumgullion

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 11/07/17 03:53 PM

IN! Wednesday tentative Thursday for sure.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 11/07/17 06:28 PM

George, sorry to learn of troubling issues you and your wife are facing. Sounds like you're putting your best foot forward and tackling complicated needs and issues head on. Certainly you have your hands full. We're all hoping the new medication is successful in dramatically slowing or halting the progression of MS.

We're also hoping that by April, you'll be able to slip away for some long overdue and much needed you-time and a few days of riding and time spent with friends can be re-energizing and invigorating as anything - legal or otherwise.

Best Wishes.
Posted By: Nice n Easy Rider

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 11/08/17 03:56 AM

Thanks Dave, Yes, hopefully I'll see you then.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 11/11/17 01:01 AM

George, sorry to learn of troubling issues you and your wife are facing. Sounds like you're putting your best foot forward and tackling complicated needs and issues head on. Certainly you have your hands full. We're all hoping the new medication is successful in dramatically slowing or halting the progression of MS.

We're also hoping that by April, you'll be able to slip away for some long overdue and much needed you-time and a few days of riding and time spent with friends can be re-energizing and invigorating as anything - legal or otherwise.

Best Wishes.

George - I think Dave speaks for all of us! Every time I think I have two much on my plate to handle I hear of situations like yours and realized once again that "life is wonderful but not always easy"! Sure hope we get to see you in April!
Posted By: tallman

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 11/13/17 02:53 PM

George,
Sorry to hear about your wife's MS diagnosis.
Health can be a fickle commodity.
Beth and I send positive energy and support to you and your family.
Best wishes.
Posted By: steveknapp

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 11/13/17 08:02 PM

I took tons of crap from my Sigma Chi and TKE room mates when I was doing Calculus homework on bar night. smile Of course, they got jobs out of college stocking shelves as a rep for a potato chip company. lol.

And now after all these years, you've finally entered the potato potato trade as well. See, hard work and following your dreams pays off.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 11/13/17 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by steveknapp
I took tons of crap from my Sigma Chi and TKE room mates when I was doing Calculus homework on bar night. smile Of course, they got jobs out of college stocking shelves as a rep for a potato chip company. lol.

And now after all these years, you've finally entered the potato potato trade as well. See, hard work and following your dreams pays off.

rofl

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 11/13/17 09:06 PM

Man, that was a reach. Did you stretch after that? You know, to avoid injury?
Posted By: steveknapp

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 11/13/17 09:17 PM

Man, that was a reach. Did you stretch after that? You know, to avoid injury?

DYNAmic flexibility? No man, not in soft tales like the one you told.

Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC - 11/14/17 04:12 AM

George, so sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis. Sounds like you're doing everything possible to make the best of a tough situation. Odds can be beaten and outcomes improved with love, faith and a little hard work!

This isn't the most prayin' community, but you and your family will be in my prayers nonetheless.
© 2017 BMWSportTouring Forums