BMWSportTouring

April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle

Posted By: CoarsegoldKid

April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 12/24/17 09:07 PM

April 27-29 will be coming up sooner than you can believe so mark your calendar. I haven't gotten around to speak to the innkeeper at the Comfort Inn but I will in just a few days. For any new riders to this event it's held in Oakhurst, Ca. The Central California foothill riding is not to be missed. Come meet new friends that know the area for the best experience. In past years Yosemite National Park has had "FREE" days for us. And it's only 13 miles from the motel. Past riders have come from as far away as Austin, Tx, Washington, Utah. Come put your mark on the map. More info to follow. Anyone with pics of your past rides please post.
Posted By: Groanup

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 12/25/17 05:11 AM

Here's one I'm fond of...
[Linked Image]16 by Donald Renshaw, on Flickr
Posted By: eddd

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 12/25/17 11:40 AM

Good deal. Already had it on the calendar.
Posted By: Selden

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 12/25/17 03:01 PM

Is that Highway 49 between Mariposa and Coulterville?

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 12/26/17 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Selden
Is that Highway 49 between Mariposa and Coulterville?

I don't believe so. Joe probably has a better idea of what the road is. I just remember it being a lot of fun to ride...
Posted By: David13

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 12/26/17 04:07 PM

I looked at it and said it was Old Priest Grade Road. But what do I know.
dc
Posted By: Selden

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 12/26/17 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by David13
I looked at it and said it was Old Priest Grade Road. But what do I know.

Old Priest Grade Road should be called the automatic transmission killer.
Posted By: markgoodrich

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 12/27/17 08:58 PM

If you are planning to attend, make sure your health insurance is up to date. Make Cornelius ride in the back. And take a satellite phone to call the ambulance because service is real spotty. No need to thank me, happy to help.
Posted By: longjohn

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 12/28/17 08:09 PM

I can't wait to get on Granite Rd again, and hopefully there will have been rain in Feb and Mar. When the foothills are green it is just so BEAUTIFUL. Frankly I'm not optimistic though, seeing as how it is 74º today, and will be 77º tomorrow. I see more firestorms next year. damn.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 12/29/17 04:27 PM

John
One of the nice features riding up that way in the spring is the smell of the orange blossoms, if the time is right.
If I go, I won't be going that way.
dc

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 12/30/17 01:53 AM

Hwy 49 between Mariposa and Coulterville is about 15 miles of curvy cliff hugging road the locals call the Little Dragon. It's a good one. I enjoy going south to north. Priest Grade is a different road. It's the old Hwy 120 that goes from Moccasin to Big Oak Flat. It also was the stagecoach road. I imagine it knee deep in mud with highwaymen relieving you of your shiny possessions..

Mark enjoyed every second of Friday's ride until he suddenly stopped short of Oakhurst. You see in Texas the roads are straight. On our roads they are curvy and often times suck you in and spit you out. I hope Mark joins us.
Posted By: stubble!

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 12/31/17 05:08 AM

Been looking forward to it since getting home from DV.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mrduck

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 01/01/18 11:25 PM

There will be an invasion of southerners on Friday, led by the usual suspects!

Utah riders will get special accolades as our guests of honor,

Texans will be required to sign a waiver.........

Don J

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 01/12/18 06:48 PM

Alright folks the Comfort Inn is now taking reservation for your stay on Friday April 27 and Saturday April 28. The room rate is 89.00. Apparently April is becoming the "IN" month probably because we are the big group. The Wood Cutters will also be there as they have in the past.
Call the Comfort Inn at 559-683-8282 tell them you are with the BMW group.

See you all there.
Posted By: Brian Louw

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 01/14/18 05:45 PM

I'm in! Reservation made.
Posted By: Ken S

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 01/18/18 03:18 AM

What road/weather conditions would you expect in late April in Death Valley, Sierras, Yosemite? I'm planning a ride in April, probably starting in Albuquerque, and considering heading in that direction. Any particular areas/roads to avoid that time of year? Thanks
Posted By: Traveler1

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 01/18/18 02:44 PM

IN - Reservation made at the Comfort Inn.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 01/18/18 03:28 PM

Ken
I have experienced every type of weather imaginable over there in April.
Warm and beautiful, orange blossoms blooming, just perfect weather.
Another time it was pouring rain, rain like a solid wall of water. But then a few hours later, sunny and dry.
Another time, in the park, 27 degrees; just nice and cold. Later in the day it warmed up somewhat.
Road conditions, mostly good.
Going past the Glacier Point road, even tho' the weather was nice, there was a foot of snow on Glacier Point road and it was closed.
From the east 120 usually doesn't open til May or June. The other pass roads from the east may be open earlier. This year they probably will all be open early, if they are not open now.
One year when I didn't go, they all reported rain, just a whole lot of rain, except Sunday, when everyone was leaving, then it was nice.

You might want to approach from the west, travel south til you are west, then head north. You might head up thru' Kernville, but that might be closed. So you might need to go further west.

This year it looks like it will be beautiful weather, just all sunshine and orange blossoms (from the west).

Unless a late, and severe winter comes in, then you might have a serious blizzard.

You just have to check when the time comes.
dc
Posted By: Ken S

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 01/19/18 04:05 PM

Thanks David for the road info. I’ll check into it more as the date gets closer.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 01/22/18 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by David13
Ken
I have experienced every type of weather imaginable over there in April.
Warm and beautiful, orange blossoms blooming, just perfect weather.
Another time it was pouring rain, rain like a solid wall of water. But then a few hours later, sunny and dry.
Another time, in the park, 27 degrees; just nice and cold. Later in the day it warmed up somewhat.
Road conditions, mostly good.
Going past the Glacier Point road, even tho' the weather was nice, there was a foot of snow on Glacier Point road and it was closed.
From the east 120 usually doesn't open til May or June. The other pass roads from the east may be open earlier. This year they probably will all be open early, if they are not open now.
One year when I didn't go, they all reported rain, just a whole lot of rain, except Sunday, when everyone was leaving, then it was nice.

You might want to approach from the west, travel south til you are west, then head north. You might head up thru' Kernville, but that might be closed. So you might need to go further west.

This year it looks like it will be beautiful weather, just all sunshine and orange blossoms (from the west).

Unless a late, and severe winter comes in, then you might have a serious blizzard.

You just have to check when the time comes.
dc

Weather changes fast in the Sierras and it's environs, so even checking is no guarantee of a road being open by the time you get there, so have a back up plan. DAMHIK.
Posted By: factortech

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 02/09/18 03:38 AM

IN....Reservation made at Chez Comfort Inn
Posted By: Bigfish

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 02/12/18 01:05 AM

We are in. Make sure to ask for the BMW rate. $89.00 per night. I was quoted $179 per night before I mentioned the BMW discount. Way to go Joe... that's a great savings. See you all soon.
Posted By: BrianT

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 02/12/18 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bigfish
We are in. Make sure to ask for the BMW rate. $89.00 per night. I was quoted $179 per night before I mentioned the BMW discount. Way to go Joe... that's a great savings. See you all soon.

I've always wanted to make this trip and thought I was going to miss it again due to a work commitment. Luckily the work commitment got canceled and I'm now booked for this. When I said the date I wanted to book, the employee immediately asked, "With the BMW group?" Guess we're popular with her.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 02/12/18 11:46 PM

in

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 02/28/18 03:54 PM

Wow they sure raised the rates again. I think the BMW group contributed to the raising the rates. The owner saw that the end of April turned into a popular time. He didn't see that it was the BMW and The Wood Carver groups that was booking up the place. Leaving only a few rooms for the tours. Take us out of the calculation and the place would have a lot of vacancies. It is also true that the forest is still being thinned of live and dead trees so there are plenty of guys with chanisaws booking rooms too throughout Oakhurst..
Maybe by next year the three huge motels that are slowly being built will be completed. This will increase the amount of rooms in Oakhurst by about 300 rooms. Maybe that should ease up the price of rooms.
We haven't had much rain or snow this year. However in the next few days there is the expectation that there will be a big storm. Riding off-road hasn't been an issue so far so if anyone wants to venture into the forest roads I think you'll be able.
Posted By: LBump

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 02/28/18 07:40 PM

Booked...

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 02/28/18 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by LBump
Booked...

Into jail?

Again??

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 03/03/18 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by eddd
Originally Posted by LBump
Booked...

Into jail?

Again??

No edddd... I'm not in jail, nor did (or do) I wish to book for jail time. Todd might but not me...

Moreover... I'll tell you one little experience with jail... and da po lice.

It goes back to a time in 1972 when free spirits were flowing and the disposition with regulation and conformity were lacking (or non existent).
I was hitchhiking South bound on CA 99 just South of Fresno, CA. off on the shoulder of the rode. By hitchhiking standards of the day it was exceptable. Though I thought all was OK, and I was going to land a ride; things changed quickly.
A CHP(California Hwy. Patrol) pulled up, then another, and, then another... WTF...
Well, I was dressed simply in Bluejeans, Green T shirt and tennis shoes. The exact garb of the local prison. They all were all feeling this was a great catch. Ha!
To further the the dress code scrutinizing; I didn't have any valid identification and a $1.50 in the pocket (times were tough, didn't own a BMW) Well, off to the pokey I go. More Weeeeeee. They held me for 48 hours and let me go. Told me to stay off the Highways, hitchhiking, and not to dress like a prisoner (like I knew).
Also, I want you to know eddd, I didn't share a cell with anyone ! jaw
Posted By: Heyfrank

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 03/05/18 11:57 PM

Frank and Hank will be there Friday morning NS on the Texas Rider the n stands for no you figure out the s

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 03/28/18 04:23 PM

Well Frank, you'll have to 'plain NS and the Texas Rider to me.

For those of you itching to ride the Little Dragon I have some bad news for ya. According to a report sent to me by mbelectric it will be closed for 6-8 weeks for repairs due to heavy rains this past week between Hwy 120 Hwy 49 junction at Moccasin south all the way to Bear Valley. Hornitos Rd in the flatter lands also has significant damage. But I'm not sure exactly sure where the washouts occurred but I think they're past the community of Hornitos. As the NmS weekend approaches I'll ride over there and see how things are progressing. I hoping that a ride around is take Hwy 49 on to Hwy 120 to the Priest-Coulterville Rd down to Coulterville onto 132 over to Merced Falls Rd to Hornitos Rd to Bear Valley Rd back onto Hwy 49.
Posted By: RT Russ

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 03/31/18 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by markgoodrich
If you are planning to attend, make sure your health insurance is up to date. Make Cornelius ride in the back. And take a satellite phone to call the ambulance because service is real spotty. No need to thank me, happy to help.

FYI......if you put Cornelius in the back he WILL pass you. DAMHIK

Wish I could make it again this year butt the Doc says no walking, no riding, no NOTHING until early May :-( Not moto related, had a foot surgery last week. Ride safe!

Russ

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/01/18 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by RT Russ

Wish I could make it again this year butt the Doc says no walking, no riding, no NOTHING until early May :-( Not moto related, had a foot surgery last week. Ride safe!

Russ

Late Apr, early May, what's the diff?
grin

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/01/18 03:16 PM

Heal up Russ. In the mean time don't walk, don't ride, do nothing. Yeah, right! Early May. Missed it by hours.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/01/18 06:51 PM

[/quote]
grin[/quote]

The metal rods sticking out of two toes on my right foot. Can’t get a boot on until they come out tongue

Russ

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/01/18 09:28 PM

grin[/quote]

The metal rods sticking out of two toes on my right foot. Can’t get a boot on until they come out tongue

Russ[/quote]

I have a wide variety of clamping pliers for the rods and 30db earplugs for me if you start screaming like a little bitch. lurk

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/02/18 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by eddd

grin

Russ[/quote]

I have a wide variety of clamping pliers for the rods and 30db earplugs for me if you start screaming like a little bitch. lurk[/quote]

You feeling up to it little fella ? cool I took video when they pulled the rod out of my left foot, didn’t feel a thing or squeal at all. Of course, they were professionals thumbsup

Russ wave
Posted By: Heyfrank

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/03/18 04:25 AM

That's funny

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/03/18 04:43 PM

Russ

I wonder who is the bigger Hooligan, thediggindutchman (Cornelis) or Krakken???? We/I haven't seen Dwight for a looooong time.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/04/18 12:38 AM

You're all a bunch of hooligans 'cept me of course. Heyfrank is the worst. I've seen him get a performance award in Nevada once.

It was brought to my attention, regarding dinner plans, that we should warn the restaurants of our descent upon them. I can tell you that Crab Cakes is out of business. The BBQ has changed hands and I've heard for the better. The Dirty Donkey, Todd's favorite watering hole, is still serving drinks so you can all rest easy.

The eatery across the street from the Comfort Inn, Yosemite Gateway, looks to be a shoe-in for Saturday evening. How about we get a headcount and I'll connect with them very soon. If you don't have any issues with the BBQ place I'll set them up for Friday evening. Does 6 pm sound about right for each evening?

I'll start. Me and Juanita.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/04/18 12:47 AM

john

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/04/18 01:43 AM

I'll be there, solo this time.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/04/18 02:30 AM

In, solo. Thanks for organizing Joe.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/04/18 06:01 AM

I'm in for both nights at the watering hole. Oh yea and I'm in for both nights of dinner too. Getting excited about making my first trip to North Meets South.
Posted By: Traveler1

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/04/18 12:51 PM

IN for both Fri and Sat. Thor, Mary-Anna, Todd, Bo and Barry.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/04/18 03:06 PM

Between PMs, forum posts, and FB we have 18 as of 8:00am. Keep those cards and letters coming.

Bye the way BrianT if you can make the Friday ride up with the riders staging in Tehachapi it's highly recommended. Otherwise you'll keep hearing how much enjoyment they had, and kick yourself in the behind.
Posted By: C_Williams

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/04/18 03:48 PM

IN for both Fri and Sat. Thanks Joe.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/04/18 05:53 PM

IN for both Friday and Saturday and, maybe Sunday...

Thanks for your efforts Joe! thumbsup
Posted By: FlyingFinn

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/04/18 06:22 PM

Sorry to say but we're out.

Between finding a dog sitter, getting the time off from work etc. I can't make this one happen.
On the upside, Camille will be joining us for the Weaverville RideOut
Posted By: hedstrom

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/05/18 12:20 AM

Dinner Plans,
Both options good with me. Maybe a 6:30 to 7:00 start time considering we tend to get there rather late on Friday

Hakan

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/05/18 12:33 AM

I'm in for Saturday.
Posted By: graydude

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/05/18 02:42 AM

Todd and Dave in for Yosemite for sure. Holding court at dirty donkey as per usual. Mention my name for a good seat. EDDDDD can bring his booster chair to sit with the big boys.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/05/18 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by CoarsegoldKid
Bye the way BrianT if you can make the Friday ride up with the riders staging in Tehachapi it's highly recommended. Otherwise you'll keep hearing how much enjoyment they had, and kick yourself in the behind.

Thats the plan. thumbsup

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/07/18 07:58 PM

Friday's So Cal ride is still on!
Lancaster Starbux -Ave I- 8-8:30 then Tehachapi - Mill St exit Hwy 58 gas station, leave there 10- 10:30.........
Porterville for lunch and more back roads to Oakhurst. The usual suspects will be there, come on out!

Don J wave
Posted By: factortech

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/08/18 12:50 AM

Hi Joe, Please put me down for Friday dinner.

I will be IN for Saturday dinner if the local road conditions are good for a brisk Saturday ride otherwise heading home through Yosemite.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/08/18 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by mrduck
Lancaster Starbux -Ave I- 8-8:30 then Tehachapi - Mill St exit Hwy 58 gas station, leave there 10- 10:30.........
Porterville for lunch and more back roads to Oakhurst. The usual suspects will be there, come on out!

Don J wave

IN I'll cya in Tehachapi.
Posted By: mbelectric

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/08/18 07:13 PM

Excellent choice Brian. The Usual Suspects have that ride route up to NmS dialed in. Just don’t get sucked into a Cornelius “track day”...😂

Trying to find time for a driveby afternoon Saturday.

MB>

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/09/18 03:33 AM

Add two more please. For Carla and Dennis. Both nights / both places. Thanks for organizing Joe!
Posted By: Brian Louw

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/09/18 07:12 PM

Don J wave

'll meet you guys in Porterville again about 12:30 at Jenny Lynn's(?)

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/10/18 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Louw

Don J wave

'll meet you guys in Porterville again about 12:30 at Jenny Lynn's(?)

Yep see ya there!

Don J

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/10/18 03:14 PM

Looks like we got 30 riders for dinner. I'll fudge that number a few just in case. Now to go talk to the places. Juanita said she would be happy to shuttle folks if necessary. That opens up the radius a bit. There's a good Mexican restaurant called El Cid's at the north end of Oakhurst. Too far for some to want to walk. Me. There's a biker bar along the way though so Todd and Dave should be well hydrated.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/12/18 04:33 AM

I got us in at the restaurant across the street. They'll seat us in the banquet room Saturday night. The BBQ is a bust. The large room is being remodeled. We might just have to be on our own for Friday. I'll check out some more. El Cids Mexican comes to mind.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/17/18 03:35 PM

Last month this area got a heavy dose of rain. Enough that several roads are closed. But if you are riding down from the north on Hwy 49 you can still get in a great ride. Follow the detour signs. Basically it goes like this. Hwy 49 to east bound 120 through Groveland to Smith Station Road / J20 turn right to Greeley Hill and on to Coulterville. Continue on 132 follow the detour signs onto Granite Springs Rd back to 132. There is fuel in Don Pedro if needed. Turn left into the foothills to meet with Merced Falls Road. Almost near the end of Merced Falls Road is a left turn onto Hornitos Road go over the bridge. Follow it to downtown Hornitos and turn left onto Bear Valley Road back to Hwy 49 and turn right to Mariposa. Stay on 49 to Oakhurst. It's all green right now.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/18/18 11:16 PM

Dinner for Friday evening will be at the Sweetwater Steak House. 6:30pmish. The Sweetwater is located on Hwy 49 0.8 miles north of the Comfort Inn. My understanding is that there will be great motorcycle riding weather for our weekend.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/18/18 11:27 PM

Dinner for Friday evening will be at the Sweetwater Steak House. 6:30pmish. The Sweetwater is located on Hwy 49 0.8 miles north of the Comfort Inn. My understanding is that there will be great motorcycle riding weather for our weekend.

EXCELLENT WORK there JOE! The dinner and the weather. Can't wait.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/19/18 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bigfish

EXCELLENT WORK there JOE! The dinner and the weather. Can't wait.

Only the best for my family.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/20/18 02:55 AM

Can't wait.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/20/18 03:26 AM

Last month this area got a heavy dose of rain. Enough that several roads are closed. But if you are riding down from the north on Hwy 49 you can still get in a great ride. Follow the detour signs. Basically it goes like this. Hwy 49 to east bound 120 through Groveland to Smith Station Road / J20 turn right to Greeley Hill and on to Coulterville. Continue on 132 follow the detour signs onto Granite Springs Rd back to 132. There is fuel in Don Pedro if needed. Turn left into the foothills to meet with Merced Falls Road. Almost near the end of Merced Falls Road is a left turn onto Hornitos Road go over the bridge. Follow it to downtown Hornitos and turn left onto Bear Valley Road back to Hwy 49 and turn right to Mariposa. Stay on 49 to Oakhurst. It's all green right now.

Great route. Image of it below. I think last year I ended up on Hornitos Road to Old Toll Road instead, and it was fun. But Old Toll Rd is a bit rough if I recall. I've been enjoying 4 as my transit from the bay area to the foothills on recent trips. Might do 12 next week though and catch more foothill backroads on the way down (love mountain ranch and sheep ranch rd).

[Linked Image]

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/20/18 02:48 PM

Yeah, Sheep Ranch is a good one. Love Mountain doesn't ring a bell. But I've probably been there.

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/20/18 09:39 PM

Don't forget some of the hikes over there in Yosemite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV-Z6Ooke8w&feature=player_embedded

I also understand there was some flooding again this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=usTTc7BWzpM
dc

Re: April 27-29 2018 North Meets South in the Middle - 04/21/18 08:47 AM

Yeah, Sheep Ranch is a good one. Love Mountain doesn't ring a bell. But I've probably been there.

I meant "I love 'Mountain Ranch Rd'" smile

It is to bad about 49 though.
© 2018 BMWSportTouring Forums