BMWSportTouring

Add Shift Assist on a '15 GS?

Posted By: Id's_OK

Add Shift Assist on a '15 GS? - 11/01/17 09:35 PM

Can "Pro Gear Shift Assistant" be added after the fact, or does it have to come from the factory? If it can be added, is it worth it?

As some of you know, I recently acquired a 2015 GS on fairly short notice. I thought the 2015 GS used the new, simplified option packages (just Std or Premium) and since "Premium" was in the description, thought my new bike had Shift Assist. Since the listing is no longer online I asked the dealer for clarification. My bike has both the Technology Package and the Touring Package and several other individual add-ons, just about every bell and whistle but no PGSA. dopeslap
Posted By: dirtrider

Re: Add Shift Assist on a '15 GS? - 11/01/17 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Id's_OK
Can "Pro Gear Shift Assistant" be added after the fact, or does it have to come from the factory? If it can be added, is it worth it?

As some of you know, I recently acquired a 2015 GS on fairly short notice. I thought the 2015 GS used the new, simplified option packages (just Std or Premium) and since "Premium" was in the description, thought my new bike had Shift Assist. Since the listing is no longer online I asked the dealer for clarification. My bike has both the Technology Package and the Touring Package and several other individual add-ons, just about every bell and whistle but no PGSA. dopeslap

Evening Christopher

Yes, it can (or at least it could last time I checked). Cost for parts is about $675.00 plus whatever the labor is.

Personally I don't use it as I have been shifting BMW's without the clutch for many years now (not under full power but for most normal riding 3rd through 6th gear shifts I just match the throttle & slip it up or down a gear). Very smooth & positive if done correctly.
Posted By: greiffster

Re: Add Shift Assist on a '15 GS? - 11/01/17 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Id's_OK

As some of you know, I recently acquired a 2015 GS on fairly short notice.

grin What's really short notice? confused

Sorry, no help on the question. ohboy

Re: Add Shift Assist on a '15 GS? - 11/01/17 10:02 PM

Thanks, DR. The most appealing thing to me is the double-clutch downshifting but a little extra confidence in clutchless upshifting isn't bad either. But of course, it's BMW so it's $$$!

Mike - you were there, you know. grin
Posted By: TEWKS

Re: Add Shift Assist on a '15 GS? - 11/01/17 10:59 PM

I have it on my RT, I could live without it. dontknow

Pat
Posted By: KTM Doug

Re: Add Shift Assist on a '15 GS? - 11/01/17 11:04 PM

If you drive to CA and know how to do it, you can take it off my '17. FREE. Tell ya what. I will call my dealer and ask if it can be removed. You could have it for whatever the labor costs were to me plus the shipping.

Re: Add Shift Assist on a '15 GS? - 11/01/17 11:27 PM

Really? Do you dislike the system that much?
Posted By: Chris K

Re: Add Shift Assist on a '15 GS? - 11/02/17 12:37 PM

I think that you should wait and package it with the steer assist pro that BMW is rumored to be working on. grin
Posted By: dirtrider

Re: Add Shift Assist on a '15 GS? - 11/02/17 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by KTM Doug
If you drive to CA and know how to do it, you can take it off my '17. FREE. Tell ya what. I will call my dealer and ask if it can be removed. You could have it for whatever the labor costs were to me plus the shipping.

Morning KTM Doug

You can remove it but he can't install it (then have it work) as it is more than just parts. It takes a specific re-programming of the bike's computer & the dealer can't do that without purchase of the (dealer only) install kit.
Posted By: Cedarone

Re: Add Shift Assist on a '15 GS? - 12/07/17 04:06 PM

I had it added on my 2015 after the fact. I thought it was part of the package when I ordered my bike and it was not included. Grand Junction Harley/BMW ordered the parts and put them in. The system had to be programed to the specific bike. Mine was the first one they had ever done. It took two trips because they could not figure out the programing and had to make several calls to tech support before completing the process. It works fine, no problems what so ever. I find that I forget it is there and hardly ever use it.

Re: Add Shift Assist on a '15 GS? - 12/07/17 04:15 PM

Thanks, Tom. It sounds like most people don't use it enough to justify the cost. Unless, of course, KTM Doug really wants to swap out with me. :-)

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.
Posted By: Paul De

Re: Add Shift Assist on a '15 GS? - 12/12/17 04:39 PM

My 1.5 cents. I have it on a '15 RT and it was part of a package that had other things I did want. I have used it and find that the only time it is nice to have is riding two up to avoid helmet bumping on up shifts. Downshifts are less smooth overall and particularly in the 3>2>1 shifts. I am much smoother down shifting than the computer period. If I am riding frisky I don't use it much on up shifting as it is a bit wonky under full throttle and would never, ever trust it downshifting when stuffing it into a corner.

IMO if you don't have it as delivered I don't really think is worth the cash to install later.
© 2017 BMWSportTouring Forums