BMWSportTouring

Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin

Posted By: EffBee

Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/19/13 04:26 PM

It's time to start working on UnRally XIII. It'll take place in less than a year (June/July-ish of 2014), and there's lots to cover.

Volunteer your ideas.

Volunteer your locations.

Volunteer to help.

But best of all, Volunteer To Organize, To Lead, To Make A Difference.
Posted By: TEWKS

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/20/13 05:10 PM

Wow what a shot, tossed that dart all the way from Massachusetts! wink

Pat

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/20/13 06:53 PM

Now just to be clear, this is just an idea for a geographic location. As far as volunteering goes, I'll lead any silly ass New Englander that's willing to follow me. rofl

Pat
Posted By: beemerboy

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/22/13 06:34 PM

<insert sound of crickets chirping>

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Posted By: Matts_12GS

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/22/13 08:11 PM

I heard there was some desire to do an UN in OKC while we were in Blowing Rock... lurk wave

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/22/13 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Matts_12GS
I heard there was some desire to do an UN in OKC.....

You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.
Posted By: MikeRC

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/22/13 10:47 PM

Maybe everyone is on holidays?

To get the serious discussion started though, lets's hear ideas:

Western UnRallies are a long trip for many board members, and often require more then a couple of days travel to get there and get home.

What week? Is it important to have it the week before or after the BMWMOA Rally (July 24-27 in St. Paul, MN) so people can catch that coming or going? Is it better in June before the roads get crowded?

Do members want to go back to a previous site (Gunnison, Salida, Cody, John Day, Topaz Lake) or someplace completely new?

What is the price point for a hotel/motel?

How important is gravel road access for members?

How important is convenient camping?

Some suggestions of newer sites could be Montana, Idaho, Washington or the Black Hills of SD (but not July please, too hot).

How important is to make a decision before September for individuals that need to put 2014 Holiday requests in early? October? November?

Mike Cassidy

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/22/13 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeRC
Do members want to go back to a previous site (Gunnison, Salida, Cody, John Day, Topaz Lake) or someplace completely new?

Some suggestions of newer sites could be Montana, Idaho, Washington or the Black Hills of SD (but not July please, too hot).

YES and YES!!!!
Posted By: TomK

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/22/13 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: TEWKS
I'll lead any silly ass New Englander that's willing to follow me. rofl

Pat

Did you say "Pied Piper"?????

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/22/13 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: TomK

Pat

I'll call it that if you're game! wink

Pat

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/23/13 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: beemerboy

There was discussion, and a host/hostess.

But it was all in fun.
Posted By: OoPEZoO

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/23/13 11:02 AM

Something in Montana or Wyoming could easily entice me to make that trip across the plains again.

I've always wanted to revisit Red Lodge, MT.....
Posted By: tallman

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/23/13 11:07 AM

There was discussion, and a host/hostess.

But it was all in fun.

A very delightful and charming host/hostess for sure.

I know this will be difficult with the limited riding choices and venues available.
Posted By: TomK

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/23/13 11:51 AM

Pat

I'll call it that if you're game! wink

Pat

No dirt. Right?

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/23/13 01:31 PM

No dirt. Right?

The GT is just itching to go west and she ain"t much of a dirt bike! smile

Pat
Posted By: Twisties

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/23/13 03:10 PM

I am planning to have a discussion with some area locals this evening, and we'll determine if we have the resources to put in a coastal proposal. With everyone out at the MOA and other commitments we haven't had a chance to get together and discuss it. Heck, the RFP has only been up 4 days. It takes time to put something together. No need to get antsy. wave

There is plenty of diverse riding in the area, and plenty of other interest. But Mike's list of questions is very high on my mind, and others.

I have been looking for a suitable hotel/camping combined venue around here for a year now, and I am not seeing it. So that's one big question. Hotels yes, camping yes, together at one facility, or even real close... not so much.

Another is when? Summer around here gets tight... hotels are full and charge top rate, and it isn't necessarily our prettiest time of year... though it doesn't usually rain. July and later summer can lead to fire restrictions on dirt roads. Also, inland gets hot. I would tend to think late spring or sometime in the fall is best in this area. A lot of folk probably would not like that, teachers and such.

The biggest question is though if you folk are interested? While we think about if we can do it, why don't ya'll provide some feedback on interest in the area. This would be somewhere between Eureka, CA and Gold Beach, OR... likely Brookings or Crescent City. It's a long trek out here, but a prettier section of coast is hard to find.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/23/13 03:19 PM

I should add that one option I have had in mind would be to schedule it immediately following NorCal/SoCal... The ride from Oakhurst to here is top shelf, and weather on the coast is usually beginning to dry up by then, though it can still be WET. The last two years inland heat has been more of a problem than coastal rain.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/23/13 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Twisties
Heck, the RFP has only been up 4 days.

We don't usually post about the following UnRally until the wind-down from the current one is complete. We do this to not dilute interest in the current UnRally. However, inquiries about "next year's" UnRally come floating in sometimes two years in advance, and people do plan and have their bids ready to go as soon as the current rally is completed. It's something Leslie started, and it has served us well, given that many members do need to make vacation plans almost a year in advance (Salida was the exception, what with the change of ownership it slipped through the cracks, but beemerboy came to the rescue).

So, if you have a proposal, a location, have negotiated some block room rates, have a location for a final group meal, and feel that you're ready to proceed, I suggest you package it up and send it in to us forthwith. Remember, it need not be elaborate. It's called an "Un"Rally for a reason. We trust you'll get the details right. But we do need the basics, which are:

A location with good roads, and good off-roading
A single hotel/motel capable of hosting between 80 and 120 of us
Said lodging should have a common area for apres-ride lie telling and should also have a few restaurants within walking distance
Camping next door is ideal, nearby is still good, and within a short ride is acceptable, if that's all there is
A location for a group dinner on the last day, along with a caterer or onsite food source
Dates and rates

As for help, you can bring your own or there are many good-hearted members here who will assist you with the prep.

Colorado? - 07/23/13 07:20 PM

There had been some talk about making every third Un a CO venue. Being almost smack dab in the middle of the country it's a compromise of sorts for the coastal folks where we have so many members. I still have my files from Salida.....

As for my two cents all I can say is that the pacific northwest and mid atlantic states are still unknown territory to me. I dearly wanted to do the Little Switzerland Un but weenied out when the temps got too high for my delicate sensibilities. I was but a mere bystander for this year's Un which I couldn't have made anyway (inordinate house repairs/upgrades).

Anyway, since the next one will be out west let's have some fun and do something different!

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/23/13 07:30 PM

Thank you for the parameters Fernando. It would be helpful if you would establish a target date for proposals to be made by. Something along the lines of, "We would like to see all proposals by ...."

Re: Colorado? - 07/23/13 08:56 PM

There had been some talk about making every third Un a CO venue. Being almost smack dab in the middle of the country it's a compromise of sorts for the coastal folks where we have so many members. I still have my files from Salida.....

As for my two cents all I can say is that the pacific northwest and mid atlantic states are still unknown territory to me. I dearly wanted to do the Little Switzerland Un but weenied out when the temps got too high for my delicate sensibilities. I was but a mere bystander for this year's Un which I couldn't have made anyway (inordinate house repairs/upgrades).

Anyway, since the next one will be out west let's have some fun and do something different!

This idea was well received when it floated last time.
Love the NW but Colorado by golly has some nice roads doesn't it?

Re: Colorado? - 07/23/13 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: tallman

The worst part about riding here is trying to decide which road to take.
Posted By: Endobobdds

Re: Colorado? - 07/23/13 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: marcopolo
For anyone interested in the MOA Rally, next year's will be held in St. Paul, MN. Dates are 24 - 27 July 2014. I understand it will be held at the State Fairgrounds.
Would be nice for those of us coming from the east coast to have the UN the week before or alter the MOA Rally

There had been some talk about making every third Un a CO venue.
I would certainly support this! thumbsup

How about one of are Canadian members organizing an UN in British Columbia. I would like to see Jasper, Banff and other of their National Parks again. smile

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/23/13 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: OoPEZoO
Something in Montana or Wyoming could easily entice me to make that trip across the plains again.

I've always wanted to revisit Red Lodge, MT.....

When we were in SLC we toyed with proposing something like that. Unfortunately there are just no BMWST resources in the area, and it was just a little too far from us to really make it work. The greater Yellowstone area is very expensive in the summer as well. Red Lodge is to die for, but starts at $100/nt. Cody is hot and no longer cheap...often congested. We kept our eyes open but never really saw a venue. Jackson is fantastic, but think well north of $100/nt. W. Yellowstone is also problematic.

My suggestion is for people to route through the area on their way to wherever...

The Beartooth has been wonderful despite construction the last several summers. Chief Joseph was in bad need of resurfacing last time we rode it, now 2 summers ago. No idea if they did it or not. Yellowstone has been having construction every summer, and it is best to try to route around it.

Re: Colorado? - 07/23/13 11:07 PM

Quote:

How about one of are Canadian members organizing an UN in British Columbia. I would like to see Jasper, Banff and other of their National Parks again. smile

We've talked that over before and it is a problem to consider an UnRally in Canada. At least in Western Canada. There are very few venues that have that combination of good riding with hotel space at a reasonable price. At least for a group of 80-120 people. Holding it within a National Park would be impossible. Then there is the problem that fewer then 50% of Americans have a passport.

We are also having the same problem as Jan has pointed out with cost of venues during the high season of June 21 - Labor Day.

Mike Cassidy

Re: Colorado? - 07/23/13 11:09 PM

The worst part about riding here is trying to decide which road to take.

So the roads are ok, how about the scenery?

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/24/13 05:19 AM

Thank you for the parameters Fernando. It would be helpful if you would establish a target date for proposals to be made by. Something along the lines of, "We would like to see all proposals by ...."

OK, how's this.

Ideally, BMWST.com would like to announce the location and dates for the following year's UnRally immediately following or within a couple of weeks of the end of the current year's UnRally. If you're interested in organizing and hosting such an event, get your ducks in a row well in advance, and be prepared to present to the Admin Team as soon as discussion thread for the "next" UnRally is opened. If you wish, you can present to the Admin Team sooner than that. At the minimum you will need to provide information on the following:

Said lodging should have a common area for apres-ride lie telling and should also have a few restaurants within walking distance

Camping next door is ideal, nearby is still good, and within a short ride is acceptable, if that's all there is

A selected location for a group dinner on the last day, along with a caterer or onsite food source

Proposed dates and lodging rates

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/24/13 05:53 AM

Originally Posted By: EffBee

OK, how's this.

Ideally, BMWST.com would like to announce the location and dates for the following year's UnRally immediately following or within a couple of weeks of the end of the current year's UnRally. If you're interested in organizing and hosting such an event, get your ducks in a row well in advance, and be prepared to present to the Admin Team as soon as discussion thread for the "next" UnRally is opened. If you wish, you can present to the Admin Team sooner than that. At the minimum you will need to provide information on the following:

A selected location for a group dinner on the last day, along with a caterer or onsite food source

Proposed dates and lodging rates

Ok then please consider our coastal suggestion tabled. Didn't mean to step on the toes of those whose proposals have been years in the works and are ready to go. Looking forward to attending!

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/24/13 11:23 AM

Ok then please consider our coastal suggestion tabled.

Pat

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/24/13 11:36 AM

When we did Little Switzerland, rooms averaged just about $100\night a few cheaper, a few higher. The restaurants that were closest were all on the hotel grounds save one cafe that didn't open till the last day. There were no takers for camping on the grounds of the hotel, and I don't think anyone actually camped in anything nearby since it was over 5 miles away.

We were cautioned about prices, but still, we had 155 register for that event.

The facility and location will bring people or it won't. You won't please everyone.

I would be willing to support a regularly rotating event in CO, but I think that there might be enough area to consider doing something similar in the Carolinas/Smoky Mountains area. The mountains are half as tall, but the roads are twice as technical!
Posted By: TyTass

Re: Colorado? - 07/24/13 02:45 PM

Then there is the problem that fewer then 50% of Americans have a passport.
I get your point, Mike, I don't think national averages apply. The real question is how many active BMWSTers who live in the US have a passport? I'd be willing to bet this group runs well above the average. We are talking a very specific sub-group, because even though this board has thousands and thousands of members ... only a small percentage attend the UNs. I would love to go to a Canadian event, provided I had the vacation time for the travel.

We are also having the same problem as Jan has pointed out with cost of venues during the high season of June 21 - Labor Day.
Agreed. It's about the same for the Southeast & Mid-Atlantic states, though Fall tends to be the highest price season with Spring/Summer being either equal to or perhaps below that. Prime real estate in the mountains is nearly always expensive everywhere I've searched. The good news is weekdays are almost always much cheaper than weekends, but it can still be pricey (they have to make money in the seasons they CAN make money).

To no one in particular (up for general discussion):

While I'm no expert ... I've been co-hosting a wknd ride event (RCR) for 5 years now and over the same period of time have been looking for possible UN locations in the WV/VA/NC/TN area (mostly online but a fair amount of physical scouting, too).

However, considering our "UN criteria" ... The single biggest limiting factor I run into is Venue Size. Most hotels in the mountainous regions tend towards 30-60 rooms. Couple that with having some sort of convenient Camping alternative the number of possibilities plummets drastically. While venue size can't really be negotiable, clearly the camping requirement really can be viewed as a variable (and don't get me wrong ... I love to camp ... I'm just relating my experience searching for UN locations based on our criteria).

Another major constraint is cost. The number of appropriately-sized venues (even without considering camping) dwindles markedly at the $100/night price point, but drops exponentially for every $10 less/night. As Matt has pointed out, UN X was somewhat above the hoped-for price point but that certainly didn't negatively affect attendance.

I've also run into a few other constraints ... having a place for folks to gather/mingle is usually not a tough one as many folks are fine with hanging out in the parking lot (though it's nicer to have a several possibilities ... lounge/bar, sitting areas, & parking lot). However, both Ken and I have come across some great locations that were negated due to the in ability to drink anywhere except the lounge.

Food options can be a bit of a tough one to work out in that having a room large enough (and cheap enough) for that last night meal. As for proximity of good roads I personally don't bother even looking in areas where there are few good roads, scenery, or too much traffic.

My point is ... there are almost no venues that fit all the "UN criteria." We have to be able to flex and assess a venue for it's overall likelihood for a successful UN. Now what that combination must be is, believe me, a point that can be debated until the cows come home. Just find what you think is a good location/venue and submit it as a proposal to Fernando.

Re: Colorado? - 07/24/13 06:35 PM

Great summary Craig. thumbsup

Your summary and Matt's statement that "you can certainly not please everyone" must be considered for any UnRally. I, also, think that most active distance riders have passports or would get one if we had an UNRally held in Canada.
Posted By: randy

Re: Colorado? - 07/24/13 08:21 PM

As a rider who has attended, UN, the West Virginia Friends & Family rally, the old El Paseo, blue ridge rendezvous, and current HeleNback, and I am thinking many more, I will (as opinion only) say I am not sure one specific venue would matter to me. Two venues with a shared parking lot, (i.e. same side of street) I think would be fine. I also love to camp, and now have an enclosed trailer if I want to travel, but again to me that is fifth on the list to Roads, scenery, venue, dinner. So as noted above if you are willing to organize an event (and many thanks upfront) and you think you have items 1 & 2, put your plan on paper and send it in. Even if it involves two motels, and a separate place for dinner. I remember one UN, not sure which one, but dinner I think was at a local fairground. Everyone rode over and back and it worked out fine. As noted by someone above, we are somewhat unique subset of the population, and as such, I think we are far more flexible than standard :-)
Posted By: Jake

Re: Colorado? - 07/24/13 08:35 PM

I don't know fellas. I'd be one content camper if the Un was held each and every summer in the place of it's birth or nearabouts. We all can ride anywhere anytime, but we don't have the opportunity to see our cross coastal friends often enough. Both the West and the East have their Torreys, FARTs, and RCRs, which occupy the excellent temps of Spring and Fall, leaving plenty of catch-up opportunity with our relatively local bretheren. I think there is a lot of value knowing that if I can't make Colorado this year, then I have a shot at catching up with Wurty there next year.

My vote would be to stick it in the middle of the country in the middle of the year every year, and a LOT of the angst and planning and search for site leaders and local support would be taken care of. There's plenty of scenery to be seen between where most live and the Rockies, and if you live there already, you understand why we all want to come to your doorstep each year.

Make it more Un.
Posted By: T.M. Roe

Re: Colorado? - 07/24/13 08:41 PM

...more Un Un?

Re: Colorado? - 07/24/13 08:46 PM

You know it sugarplum. No need to take the Un out of Gunnison. That's where The Love is.

Re: Colorado? - 07/24/13 08:49 PM

Now I'm confused, should I hydrate and stretch more or less?
Posted By: Whip

Re: Colorado? - 07/24/13 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake
I don't know fellas. I'd be one content camper if the Un was held each and every summer in the place of it's birth or nearabouts. We all can ride anywhere anytime, but we don't have the opportunity to see our cross coastal friends often enough. Both the West and the East have their Torreys, FARTs, and RCRs, which occupy the excellent temps of Spring and Fall, leaving plenty of catch-up opportunity with our relatively local bretheren. I think there is a lot of value knowing that if I can't make Colorado this year, then I have a shot at catching up with Wurty there next year.

My vote would be to stick it in the middle of the country in the middle of the year every year, and a LOT of the angst and planning and search for site leaders and local support would be taken care of. There's plenty of scenery to be seen between where most live and the Rockies, and if you live there already, you understand why we all want to come to your doorstep each year.

Make it more Un.

+1
Posted By: Firefight911

Re: Colorado? - 07/24/13 09:56 PM

Make it more Un.

I like this idea.
Posted By: John Ranalletta

Re: Colorado? - 07/24/13 10:17 PM

How about Fort Wayne? After all, if it's good enough for the Wing Dingers ...

+1 for Gunnison

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/24/13 10:28 PM

I made it to Salida......I suppose I could make it the extra 70 miles to Gunnison grin
That also makes it close enough to Salida for a lunch run to the Boathouse for the BACON!!! MMMMMmMmMmmmmmmmmmm!

BTW......no one would ever have to twist my arm to go back to CO.
Posted By: Ron_B

Re: Colorado? - 07/24/13 10:30 PM

Originally, the Un was going to be West - Central - East, but the Central was scrapped after Un2 in Arkansas. Colorado is as close to Central as to West, so maybe we should consider anyplace west of the Mississippi to be West. Still a lot of pretty country/great roads in Missouri & Arkansas. Just a thought, I'll go anywhere of course.

Re: Colorado? - 07/25/13 02:08 AM

Interesting thoughts. At present, there is no intention of deviating from our West/East alternating years. Of interest to me is to see that the Eastern Uns always seem far more to the east than the Western Uns are to the west. But everyone seems to like them. And we'e not even explored the north/south options.

Personally, I'm opposed to a single location, or even region. That gets boring more often than not. Colorado is truly beautiful. And my wife and I own properties in Montrose (about 60 mi. from Gunnison and 120 or so from Salida), so from a personal perspective I could go to an Un in Colorado, visit tenants and meet with the property managers and make an Un trip into a tax write-off every two years. But as pretty as it is, there are many other parts of the country where this website has yet to hold an Un. There's the CA coast, WA/OR, MT/ID, WI/MN, KY/TN, Upstate NY/New England. Even an early-summer Un in the southwest (Ruidoso NM, Flagstaff/Sedona & Grand Canyon area, Big Bend NP or TX Hill Country, etc).

Unfortunately, we're often limited in our UnRally locations based on the proposals we receive. If we only get one proposal, then guess where the Un is going to be? Wherever that organizer has researched and arranged. The Admin Team can choose based on where we haven't been before and what suits the greatest number of members. But to choose there must first be a choice. So receiving legitimate proposals from more than just one or two members makes that possible. And for those not chosen, there's always next time. We've had proposals that were not chosen that came back to life two years later and were accepted.

As a group we've made some excellent impressions. Topaz Lodge near Lake Tahoe will have us back in a heartbeat. We took care of their place and they liked that. Same for the family-run hotel in Salida. And I think Little Switzerland and other eastern locations are likewise inclined. We're a good group and we represent motorcycling very well. We should be welcomed anywhere, and not just for our money. Our references are sterling.

- - - - -

On to other things that have been referenced in this thread.

One location (hotel/motel) is usually best. But if you can't fit everyone in, then two locations within reasonable distance will also work. People will find each other. A single main location is not etched in stone. Neither is the camping requirement. If it's there, great. If it's a bit of a hike, well let's not dismiss a good potential Un location because the rural area is, uh, rural.

We've had to hike to get to campgrounds. We've had to pack 20 into the back of a pickup truck to get to the VFW hall for our last meal. We've had restaurants you could walk to and stumble home from. And we've had to ride to them because they were just where they were and that was that.

We've had places with shopping and other non-motorcycle things to do. And we've had places where riding was all there was. And in all of these cases, even if there was a little inconvenience, that faded quickly as the memories of the companionship, new friends and joviality made our recollections joyful.

It was said in a post above that it seems like there's no "perfect" place for an UnRally. That's correct. No site has everything. And it's also wrong. True that no place is extrinsically perfect. But by the time we get together, meet, greet, shake hands, hug, ride together, break bread, ride together some more, share a beverage, tell lies, tell even bigger lies, ride yet again, share a final meal together, and pack up and head our individual ways, we always seem to discover that where the Un was held that year was in fact the perfect place.

Re: Colorado? - 07/25/13 02:59 AM

Wow, this is like herding cats. lurk
Posted By: Bud

Re: Colorado? - 07/25/13 03:06 AM

Wow, this is like herding cats. lurk

Well, that's insulting to the cats! grin

Re: Colorado? - 07/25/13 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: T.M. Roe
...more Un Un?

+1

My first UN was at Gunnison where I met a lot of fine folks and had a great time.

I would love to go back there again!

And if it is good enough for T.M. Roe, it is good enough for me.
Posted By: Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Re: Colorado? - 07/25/13 05:33 AM

Hey Bud. How have you been? We had some fun times in Gunnison.

Re: Colorado? - 07/25/13 11:09 AM

Has the UN changed?
That is, has the raison d'etre become fellowship first and riding the UNarea second?

Asking the question to see if the reason we gather is to ride
those roads or to ride and hang with
these people ?

Both are good reasons.

To me, the journey there, and riding new areas is fun.

But mostly I'm IN for the people. (Well except for one of youz guyz grin )

Re: Colorado? - 07/25/13 11:47 AM

I can never remember when I was on a particular road.
Its not that important to me.
For me its always about the people (and the Love).

I think that when you put a group of interesting people together, special things can happen.

Those moments are it for me.

Give me any playground or blank easel along with some interesting folks, I'll find fun.

My Un is the juxtaposition to what most want.
Posted By: rogera

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/25/13 12:31 PM

I made it to Salida......I suppose I could make it the extra 70 miles to Gunnison grin
That also makes it close enough to Salida for a lunch run to the Boathouse for the BACON!!! MMMMMmMmMmmmmmmmmmm!

BTW......no one would ever have to twist my arm to go back to CO.

+1 on CO. as a matter of fact going to stop in Salida and have me some bacon on my way to Torrey this year.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/25/13 02:44 PM

While this conversation is important and needed, as a former Moderator I have retained enough sense to know that it is likely not going in the direction it was intended, and that is to identify a volunteer. Sorry to have de-railed it (but look at that support - YES!) So if you are out there busting at the seams thinking that you might be able to add to the Un Legacy with your idea, please don't hold back and pony up. I did that for UN2, and it was exceedingly gratifying.

My parting comment is that for future UNs (past 2014), we should consider easing/lifting the East/West tradition. With so many members living on the coasts, any location on the far side of the Rockies from where you live likely makes the Un a non starter for you, unless your name is Paul.

I miss me some 'Nando, ButterKup, Bump, DTool, Beav, etc and all the other Left coasters who would be great to meet. I know, however, that you aren't ever riding East, that was proven by the last Un, and previous ones. The inverse is also true. If we want to keep the reunion spirit alive, it has to be at our old high school, and that is in the Rockies. 'Nuff said. smirk

Re: Colorado? - 07/25/13 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Hey Bud. How have you been? We had some fun times in Gunnison.

Yes we did!

I've been fine.

Hope all is well with you. Are you still riding?

I'm on a 99RT.
Posted By: Les is more

Re: Colorado? - 07/25/13 11:44 PM

Quote:
there are many other parts of the country where this website has yet to hold an Un. There's the CA coast, WA/OR, MT/ID, WI/MN, KY/TN, Upstate NY/New England.

That's true, especially if you don't count Cody Wyoming (2004); John Day, Oregon (2008); and Lancaster, New Hampshire(2009). wink

I always thought the point was to ride any of the many of the beautiful places this continent has to offer while also putting names and faces together - there is nothing like riding and breaking bread together to remove anonymity. That is something which contributes greatly to the quality of this site. You are right, Fernando. There are tons wonderful spots left to explore. I think, if one were to speak with past UN organizers, one would find that they understand what a great service they've performed for this community. Back in my hole now. Spread the love. wave
Posted By: marcopolo

Re: Colorado? - 07/26/13 01:19 AM

I will add one comment, for what it's worth. I attended my first UnRally in Gunnison in 2006, and all but one since then. My point is this: given the distance that many of us ride to an UnRally (and the associated expense in gas, lodging, food etc. while on the road, no matter where it's held), I think we're being rather "penny-wise and pound-foolish" with regard to the somewhat arbitrary limits we put on the cost of rooms. I say we should consider places with higher room costs, because in the grand scheme of things, the room cost is a small percentage of what it costs many of us to get there, and back, in the first place.

Re: Colorado? - 07/26/13 01:39 AM

I will add one comment, for what it's worth. I attended my first UnRally in Gunnison in 2006, and all but one since then. My point is this: given the distance that many of us ride to an UnRally (and the associated expense in gas, lodging, food etc. while on the road, no matter where it's held), I think we're being rather "penny-wise and pound-foolish" with regard to the somewhat arbitrary limits we put on the cost of rooms. I say we should consider places with higher room costs, because in the grand scheme of things, the room cost is a small percentage of what it costs many of us to get there, and back, in the first place.

Mark,

You may be right. However, I wouldn't have been able to attend this years UN if I had to stay at the hotel. Camping allowed me to be there.

Different strokes for different folks.

It's all good. thumbsup
Posted By: Killer

Re: Colorado? - 07/26/13 01:40 AM

I say we should consider places with higher room costs, because in the grand scheme of things, the room cost is a small percentage of what it costs many of us to get there, and back, in the first place.
And I respectfully disagree, I simply won't go if the room costs are excessive, I think the rough limits are appropriate.
Posted By: Lester V

Re: Colorado? - 07/26/13 02:45 AM

+1

Re: Colorado? - 07/26/13 02:47 AM

New to all this but 'In'

Re: Colorado? - 07/26/13 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Lester V
New to all this but 'In'

rofl
Posted By: hANNAbONE

Re: Colorado? - 07/27/13 04:35 PM

i wOULD bE deff trying to make an Idaho / Montana "UN".

I'd also be up for takin' a run up to Enterprise OR for the Terminal Gravity Brewery via Lolo Pass.
Posted By: hANNAbONE

Re: Colorado? - 07/27/13 04:41 PM

Now I'm confused, should I hydrate and stretch more or less?

and no caffeine en route and no no NO alcohol consumption within 48 hours of riding.

Dems da rules, Tommy my man.

Re: Colorado? - 07/27/13 08:45 PM

..I am so screwed.
Posted By: upfisk

Re: Colorado? - 07/28/13 01:30 PM

+1 on Enterprise, OR. There are great roads and motel rooms are moderate in price

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Killer
I say we should consider places with higher room costs, because in the grand scheme of things, the room cost is a small percentage of what it costs many of us to get there, and back, in the first place.
And I respectfully disagree, I simply won't go if the room costs are excessive, I think the rough limits are appropriate.

First I wanna thank all the previous UN leaders for doing the best anyone could do given the budgetary parameters.......

........ but I don't get too excited about hanging out in parking lots and places without views to save $20-50 a night. I would rather go to more "special places" at or near national parks or points interest. I would like to be walking distance to the center of towns or attractions instead of on the edges miles away depending on 4 wheel transport after a few drinks. I would like to be in or at the point of interest instead 100 miles away. This would also make it more appealing to our SOs.

I would be willing to take the responsibility of doing an UN, but price would not be the first thing on my list..prolly not the second either.

If this is my vacation for the year ...

grin

Posted By: Firefight911

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Whip

First I wanna thank all the previous UN leaders for doing the best anyone could do given the budgetary parameters.......

........ but I don't get too excited about hanging out in parking lots and places without views to save $20-50 a night. I would rather go to more "special places" at or near national parks or points interest. I would like to be walking distance to the center of towns or attractions instead of on the edges miles away depending on 4 wheel transport after a few drinks. I would like to be in or at the point of interest instead 100 miles away. This would also make it more appealing to our SOs.

I would be willing to take the responsibility of doing an UN, but price would not be the first thing on my list..prolly not the second either.

grin

I want the adjoining room with yours! Jamie said she agrees with you on this one. I'll help you put it together if you get it.
Posted By: Lineareagle

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 12:56 AM

grin

I went to Blowing Rock and was planning on camping. Weather knocked that out so I stayed in a motel across the road from the 'event' motel. I would agree with you. It is nice to have a choice though. My room was probably the same as sharing in the nicer motel but I was able to throw my crap around and not worry about being offensive to someone.
Blowing Rock location was perfect. Walk to town, great restaurants, I know you could do it out west too Whip, go ahead entice me!

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 01:07 AM

................ but I don't get too excited about hanging out in parking lots and places without views to save $20-50 a night.........I would like to be walking distance to the center of towns or attractions instead of on the edges miles away depending on 4 wheel transport after a few drinks.........I would be willing to take the responsibility of doing an UN, but price would not be the first thing on my list..prolly not the second either.

Totally agree. Why is it that owners of some of the most expensive motorcycles offered for sale in the U.S. are also the most frugal? What's the old saying?? Oh, I remember, what's the cheapest part on a BMW motorcycle? The rider. tongue rofl
Posted By: jbr7t

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 01:20 AM

Make it more Un.

+1

This is one of the best ideas I've heard yet. Each coast has their own events. Lets take the +*#%~<% out of the UN. Would be easier for long term planning for those of us that have to have leave turned in months in advance. Can't make em all happy.
Posted By: dhanson

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 01:37 AM

I'm not considered to be refined to say the least, but I do have a passport!

I liked the little place in the Hill Country with the donkeys, one of the others came over to our room to check and see if OUR commode had a lid! (Theirs didn't)
Posted By: ** Chris **

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 03:28 AM

Did I miss the sign up period again?

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 03:44 AM

grin

OUT

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 03:46 AM

Totally agree. Why is it that owners of some of the most expensive motorcycles offered for sale in the U.S. are also the most frugal? What's the old saying?? Oh, I remember, what's the cheapest part on a BMW motorcycle? The rider. tongue rofl

Have an 11 year old RT with 138,000 miles on the clock that quite honestly I can't afford to get back on the road, guess I don't belong here any more, and that's OK.

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 04:04 AM

Have an 11 year old RT with 138,000 miles on the clock that quite honestly I can't afford to get back on the road, guess I don't belong here any more, and that's OK.

Now I am gonna cry. Literally.

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 04:07 AM

Oh, I'm not complaining, it's a choice really (though I didn't choose the medical costs that cleaned out the bank account). I've stepped down from my position as master of industry.

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 04:15 AM

Oh, I'm not complaining, it's a choice really (though I didn't choose the medical costs that cleaned out the bank account). I've stepped down from my position as master of industry.

I am complaining, though. If you don't feel you belong here then for me that is a deeply disturbing problem.

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 04:34 AM

I am complaining, though. If you don't feel you belong here then for me that is a deeply disturbing problem.

Bob is not deeply disturbed....as far as you know.

wave
Posted By: Heck

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 08:14 AM

Then there are a few of us that cant exist at >9000 for more than a short period. Like was said earlier, there are other events. Just not as many as before...

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 11:25 AM

So, this year it really is going to be an unRally?

Beginning to sound like the Olympic site selection committee.

There is merit to having a rotation, and there is merit to having new venues.

Reality is that only a select few will be attending.
Let us not forget the reasons mentioned above to even have an UN.

We're often knocked out by timing and our field of employment.
Sux.
One day, perhaps, more flexibility.
Just hope I can still ride.

Many reasons to just throw up our arms and say it is too much
trouble, can't please everyone.
More reasons to carry on.

Perhaps at or near the geographic population center?
Nice roads around and close to geographic center in Kansas.

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: dhanson

I liked the little place in the Hill Country with the donkeys, one of the others came over to our room to check and see if OUR commode had a lid! (Theirs didn't)

Well, we knew you had a passport, after all, you made it across the border into Illinois. grin wave

Or did they just let you in because you were with Jean???? rofl

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 12:29 PM

So, this year it really is going to be an unRally?

Beginning to sound like the Olympic site selection committee.

There is merit to having a rotation, and there is merit to having new venues.

Reality is that only a select few will be attending.
Let us not forget the reasons mentioned above to even have an UN.

We're often knocked out by timing and our field of employment.
Sux.
One day, perhaps, more flexibility.
Just hope I can still ride.

Many reasons to just throw up our arms and say it is too much
trouble, can't please everyone.
More reasons to carry on.

Perhaps at or near the geographic population center?
Nice roads around and close to geographic center in Kansas.

Not too far away from Eureka Springs. thumbsup

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 01:59 PM

Oh, Bob, get off the pity party and find a sense of humor.

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 02:02 PM

Oh, Bob, get off the pity party and find a sense of humor.

You're the only one finding any 'pity part' in it, I was mereley demonstrating that not everybody here is wealthy or wants to be.

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 02:36 PM

I say let's take the UN back to its roots, upscale camping at the KOA!

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 02:44 PM

Out

tongue

Re: Colorado? - 07/30/13 02:48 PM

Out

tongue

OK, so it needs to be near a National Forest campground so that Whip doesn't have to go upscale, none of those flush toilets for him...

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/30/13 03:31 PM

The upscale KOA I stayed at in Boone, NC had flush toilets. grin

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/30/13 04:19 PM

Some upscale camping and some not so much. http://www.westglacierkoa.com/ thumbsup

Pat

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/30/13 05:54 PM

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the open discussion and ideas put forward. Lively debate helps keep the forum interesting.

I was always aware that you can't please all the people all the time. I think everyone is benefiting from this discussion.

And Pat, that camping won't be within sight of a venue I'm looking at. I've actually stayed at that KOA in the distant past, and it is a great location with great facilities. But there isn't a hotel close by that can accomodate a group of 80-120.

Bob, would this be OK? http://whitefishrvpark.com/ Well, other then the picture on their website of Mt Robson which is over 300 miles away frown

Mike Cassidy
Posted By: markgoodrich

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/30/13 06:02 PM

If room prices were increased to $150, and I stayed three nights, the additional cost would be $150.

Let's look at that as an incremental cost of the entire trip. Austin to Salida, and all the riding while in CO, put about 2500 miles on my bike. At $3.75 a gallon, 40mpg, that's $234.00; forget oil and other wear and tear, but bear in mind I burned up half a rear PR3 and about half a Pilot Power 2CT, total cost about $175, assuming no charge for mounting. 18 meals, averaging, what, $12...another $216. It takes me two days to get to Salida, so add two more hotel nights at $100.

If I pushed the calculator buttons properly, the total, exclusive of UN hotel and registration, is about $725, a very conservative estimate. The implication is that adding $150 is a 20% increase in my travel budget...and this is a short trip for me. In reality, the Salida UN probably cost me closer to $900. Attendees from much farther away will have spent much more, implying the theoretical $150 increase in cost might be less than ten percent.

My point is pretty simple, there's not really any need to pick my assumptions apart, but feel free. What I'm trying to demonstrate is that an increase in hotel cost does not in itself break anyone's bank. Or, if it does, why, more than a couple of people at the Salida UN stayed elsewhere, some camping, some because they brought pets, or for other reasons.

I like the idea of east, then west, and even central, and personally have no problem with traveling to, say, Washington from Austin, but realize many don't have the time and financial flexibility I have.

All this is moot, of course, so long as the rules is the rules; my comments, along with so many others, and all the "votes" for various things or places are meaningless unless and until those in charge of this site decide to change some parameters. I mean no disrespect toward anyone with my comments.
Posted By: hopz

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/30/13 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: markgoodrich
If room prices were increased to $150, and I stayed three nights, the additional cost would be $150.

My point is pretty simple, .

I mean no disrespect toward anyone with my comments.

... and there we were starting a perfectly entertaining feud then along come some guy with reasoning. Come on Mark, get a grip.

I liked Topaz. Decent facility, good camping, great riding, reasonable prices, cost of California fuel out of sight, crazy tourist drivers around that big lake, etc. lets not dismiss it too soon.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/30/13 06:41 PM

Let's look at that as an incremental cost of the entire trip. Austin to Salida, and all the riding while in CO, put about 2500 miles on my bike. At $3.75 a gallon, 40mpg, that's $234.00; forget oil and other wear and tear, but bear in mind I burned up half a rear PR3 and about half a Pilot Power 2CT, total cost about $175, assuming no charge for mounting. 18 meals, averaging, what, $12...another $216. It takes me two days to get to Salida, so add two more hotel nights at $100.

If I pushed the calculator buttons properly, the total, exclusive of UN hotel and registration, is about $725, a very conservative estimate. The implication is that adding $150 is a 20% increase in my travel budget...and this is a short trip for me. In reality, the Salida UN probably cost me closer to $900. Attendees from much farther away will have spent much more, implying the theoretical $150 increase in cost might be less than ten percent.

My point is pretty simple, there's not really any need to pick my assumptions apart, but feel free. What I'm trying to demonstrate is that an increase in hotel cost does not in itself break anyone's bank. Or, if it does, why, more than a couple of people at the Salida UN stayed elsewhere, some camping, some because they brought pets, or for other reasons.

I like the idea of east, then west, and even central, and personally have no problem with traveling to, say, Washington from Austin, but realize many don't have the time and financial flexibility I have.

All this is moot, of course, so long as the rules is the rules; my comments, along with so many others, and all the "votes" for various things or places are meaningless unless and until those in charge of this site decide to change some parameters. I mean no disrespect toward anyone with my comments.

Mark, not picking on you, just that you make some good points (and some I disagree with) so it's a good place to jump in with my personal perspective.

Yes, $150 is not much in the scope of things, unless it's $150 that one doesn't have. You make your point well, and then make the opposing point well, in saying that others may not have your flexiility. What is an Un without others?

When we started the Un, decent hotels at $60 were not a problem. Now it looks like $100-$125 is the going rate, although we do try and get a group discount. We'll see.

It's always been east/west and will stay that way. Why? Because as Tallman points out, it's west if it's to the left of a Lebanon, KS, and east if it's to the right. Salida, CO, was 469 miles from Lebanon, KS. Interestingly, Eureka Springs was equally 469 miles from Lebanon, KS. These, along with Gunnison, CO (twice) and Cody, WY are far closer to the geographic center of the U.S. than they are to either coast (1,212 miles to San Francisco, in the case of Salida). So we've actually had 5 "Central" Uns, out of 12, even though they've been branded "West" or "East"

The second point I'd like to make is this. It's great to have these discussions, and for each to say, "I'd like this..." or "I'd like that." It's another thing entirely for someone to step up and say, "I'm going to research the following area and submit a proposal and if selected will work as the organizer for that Un." Not to minimize the value of discussion, but actions speak a whole lot louder. It is a credit to this board that we've been blessed with (and I know I'm leaving out names) people like Les and Jamie (Cody), Sage Rider and DRSwift (Lake Topaz), beemerboy (Salida), KInsley (Blowing Rock), and many other members who stepped up, along with an incredible supporting team, some notables of which have been Bob Palin (Killer), Laney Andress, and others who have worked behind the scenes. Putting on an Un is not brain surgery. But it's not a one-weekend commitment, either. It's a lot of detail work. It's a lot of repetitious work. It's kudos and a lot of happy people, and it's a few pissed off people who think it's your fault they didn't register on time.

So let's keep the communication going. We get good ideas about locations. We get good ideas about what lodging price levels most are willing to bear. And it also gives each of us an opportunity to say, "More than take from this site, I want to give back. Let me help."
Posted By: Ron_B

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/30/13 07:20 PM

Nando, was the Eureka Springs Un supposed to be East? I really thought, like my previous reply, that the original plan was West, Central and East. I guess I was wrong. It does make sense since we went from Gunnison to Eureka Springs, and back west to Cody.

dopeslap
Posted By: PhillyFlash

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/30/13 08:57 PM

The BMWRT UNRally was created to NOT be a rally. Yes, it's still a rally, but the intent was to bring RIDERS together from all over the country, to meet up in an area with great roads and scenery so that we could spend days RIDING those great roads with friends that we had never met in person or rarely had seen, and to make new friends to RIDE with. We wanted as little planning and organization as possible (although it always required a fair amount), and to be as ACCESSIBLE as possible (in terms of distance, lodging/camping options, and price options) to attract the greatest number of attendees. Gunnison was the first, and it was as far west as we felt we wanted to go in order to attract easterners. Eureka Springs was the second, and was chosen in part to be a reasonable distance for westerners (several of us rode from Eureka Springs back to Phoenix in 21 hours). We wanted no venders, and no formal structure. Headquarters for the first UN was at the KOA, where the largest number of people were staying, and it was a good socializing location. There were many motel choices with a very wide range of prices and luxuriousness, most only a few minutes from the KOA. If you happened to skip a ride or came back too early, you had the campground to yourself. We were there to RIDE with our friends, and socialize at night. Having a meeting point (the KOA) where we could all wander around and mingle seemed the best idea to us. And it was the ONLY formal meeting place. It worked great!

The return to Gunnison for another UN wasnít quite the same. The main hotel and meeting point was on the opposite side of town from the campground and most of the less expensive hotels where many people wanted to stay. This resulted, in my opinion, in two unrallies in Gunnison that week. The campers and those on the west side of town pretty much stayed at the KAO, and the Holiday Inn Express group pretty much stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on the east side. There were occasional forays to the other territory, but usually not for very long. The organizers wanted to have better accommodations than what was average in Gunnison, which did meet with some opposition, similar to whatís happening in this thread. Gunnison is a pretty big place, and it wasnít a problem finding less expensive accommodations for those who wanted them. Since the organizers were staying at the Holiday Inn, they wanted to have it as their base of operations. That was fine, too. However, what I donít think any of us anticipated was the effect of having half the group in one geographical area and the other half the group in another geographical area, even though they were only 5-10 minutes apart, riding time. And that was the glitch. If you have to put on all your gear and get on your bike to ride somewhere, it didnít matter if it was only a 2 minute ride or a 20 minute ride Ė it was just a pain to gear up. When there was only one real meeting place (the KOA) you knew that youíd find most of the people at the Un there, so it wasnít so bad. But when there were two meeting areas, you had to go to one, then to the other, and then maybe back to the first to find the people you wanted to find. Personally, I didnít find the parking lot or lobby of the Holiday Inn that conducive to socializing. Most of the folks were often in their rooms, rather than outside socializing. It was much easier to find people at the KOA. Many from both sides chose not to ride around searching for friends after a day of riding. So, socializing was not what it was at previous Unís. Something to consider.

The Oregon coast, Canadian Rockies, and the Maritime Provinces are all fantastic, but as you get further and further away from the opposite coast, there will be fewer people willing to travel that distance. Remember one of the original premises was to keep it reasonably accessible to the whole country. An organized get-together in the Canadian Rockies, or the Pacific Northwest, or the Gaspe Peninsula, or Key West are always possibilities, but those were usually thought of to be regional events rather than the one-and-only once a year UNRally that was intended to try to bring together the greatest amount of members. If an unrally is held that far from center it will be a regional event for the most part, even though you may still call it an unrally.

The UN was, and always will be, what you made of it. The admins decide where it's going to be held based on the proposals, but then it's up to the organizers to put it together however they choose. If BMWST is primarily a site for the affluent owners of BMWs and other brands, and the vast majority of the members who are going to attend the UN want more expensive accommodations and fine dining, that's fine. If camping or more reasonably priced accommodations aren't options, that's fine, too, if thatís how the membership wants it to be. BMWST is not BMWRT. It has evolved over the years partially based on proprietorship, but even more so, on the activeness of the members. If there are very few members going the UN who plan to camp or stay in less expensive motels, then those membersí needs are a much lower priority. If the campers and frugal members want to go to the unrally but thereís not appropriate accommodations for them, well, they can plan their own get-togethers. An extremely small percentage of members go to an unrally. Do you want to limit it even more by making it the Affluent BMWST OWNERS unRALLY? Maybe so.

My preference would be to get back to the original ideas about an UNRally, but Iím not an active member, and my ideas really donít mean a whole lot. And Iím not going to step up and suggest/organize an unrally. If the timing, location, pricing, etc., meet my needs and desires, I may go. If not, I wonít. So, if those who organize it choose to have it in a more (or very) expensive hotel, in a location with little or no convenient camping or less expensive lodging, far, far, far away from the opposite coast, and the main places to socialize are in someoneís room or a parking lot, thatís fine. Have it however and wherever you want. People are going to complain no matter what you do. If there is low turnout, then maybe changes will need to be made for the next one; or maybe not. It comes down to what do the active members of the board want.

Now, Fernando, in regard to your comment about a few pissed off people who think it's the organizersí fault they didn't register on time, Iíd be more than happy to fully go into detail for the board regarding what that was all about. Shall I continue? After all, you were the one to bring it up here, and since it involved me, I have plenty I could present. Shall I continue?

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/30/13 09:09 PM

Bob, would this be OK? http://whitefishrvpark.com/

Mike Cassidy

looks great to me, I would probably go to an UN based there.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/30/13 09:11 PM

Mike Cassidy

Too bad I sold my RV.....well not too bad really.

wave

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/30/13 09:40 PM

Mike Cassidy

Looking at the map the Big Mountain Lodge and the Best Western Rocky Mountain Lodge are quite close to the Whitefish RV park and both are close enough to restaurants etc to walk to...

Looks like single room rates for July next year would be $134 per night for a 3 night stay, could probably get a better group rate.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/30/13 10:06 PM

The area is a possibility, but still looking into details.

Mike Cassidy

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/30/13 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: PhillyFlash
The BMWRT UNRally was created to NOT be a rally. Yes, it's still a rally, but the intent was to bring RIDERS together from all over the country, to meet up in an area with great roads and scenery so that we could spend days RIDING those great roads with friends that we had never met in person or rarely had seen, and to make new friends to RIDE with. We wanted as little planning and organization as possible (although it always required a fair amount), and to be as ACCESSIBLE as possible (in terms of distance, lodging/camping options, and price options) to attract the greatest number of attendees. Gunnison was the first, and it was as far west as we felt we wanted to go in order to attract easterners. Eureka Springs was the second, and was chosen in part to be a reasonable distance for westerners (several of us rode from Eureka Springs back to Phoenix in 21 hours). We wanted no venders, and no formal structure. Headquarters for the first UN was at the KOA, where the largest number of people were staying, and it was a good socializing location. There were many motel choices with a very wide range of prices and luxuriousness, most only a few minutes from the KOA. If you happened to skip a ride or came back too early, you had the campground to yourself. We were there to RIDE with our friends, and socialize at night. Having a meeting point (the KOA) where we could all wander around and mingle seemed the best idea to us. And it was the ONLY formal meeting place. It worked great!

The return to Gunnison for another UN wasnít quite the same. The main hotel and meeting point was on the opposite side of town from the campground and most of the less expensive hotels where many people wanted to stay. This resulted, in my opinion, in two unrallies in Gunnison that week. The campers and those on the west side of town pretty much stayed at the KAO, and the Holiday Inn Express group pretty much stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on the east side. There were occasional forays to the other territory, but usually not for very long. The organizers wanted to have better accommodations than what was average in Gunnison, which did meet with some opposition, similar to whatís happening in this thread. Gunnison is a pretty big place, and it wasnít a problem finding less expensive accommodations for those who wanted them. Since the organizers were staying at the Holiday Inn, they wanted to have it as their base of operations. That was fine, too. However, what I donít think any of us anticipated was the effect of having half the group in one geographical area and the other half the group in another geographical area, even though they were only 5-10 minutes apart, riding time. And that was the glitch. If you have to put on all your gear and get on your bike to ride somewhere, it didnít matter if it was only a 2 minute ride or a 20 minute ride Ė it was just a pain to gear up. When there was only one real meeting place (the KOA) you knew that youíd find most of the people at the Un there, so it wasnít so bad. But when there were two meeting areas, you had to go to one, then to the other, and then maybe back to the first to find the people you wanted to find. Personally, I didnít find the parking lot or lobby of the Holiday Inn that conducive to socializing. Most of the folks were often in their rooms, rather than outside socializing. It was much easier to find people at the KOA. Many from both sides chose not to ride around searching for friends after a day of riding. So, socializing was not what it was at previous Unís. Something to consider.

The Oregon coast, Canadian Rockies, and the Maritime Provinces are all fantastic, but as you get further and further away from the opposite coast, there will be fewer people willing to travel that distance. Remember one of the original premises was to keep it reasonably accessible to the whole country. An organized get-together in the Canadian Rockies, or the Pacific Northwest, or the Gaspe Peninsula, or Key West are always possibilities, but those were usually thought of to be regional events rather than the one-and-only once a year UNRally that was intended to try to bring together the greatest amount of members. If an unrally is held that far from center it will be a regional event for the most part, even though you may still call it an unrally.

The UN was, and always will be, what you made of it. The admins decide where it's going to be held based on the proposals, but then it's up to the organizers to put it together however they choose. If BMWST is primarily a site for the affluent owners of BMWs and other brands, and the vast majority of the members who are going to attend the UN want more expensive accommodations and fine dining, that's fine. If camping or more reasonably priced accommodations aren't options, that's fine, too, if thatís how the membership wants it to be. BMWST is not BMWRT. It has evolved over the years partially based on proprietorship, but even more so, on the activeness of the members. If there are very few members going the UN who plan to camp or stay in less expensive motels, then those membersí needs are a much lower priority. If the campers and frugal members want to go to the unrally but thereís not appropriate accommodations for them, well, they can plan their own get-togethers. An extremely small percentage of members go to an unrally. Do you want to limit it even more by making it the Affluent BMWST OWNERS unRALLY? Maybe so.

My preference would be to get back to the original ideas about an UNRally, but Iím not an active member, and my ideas really donít mean a whole lot. And Iím not going to step up and suggest/organize an unrally. If the timing, location, pricing, etc., meet my needs and desires, I may go. If not, I wonít. So, if those who organize it choose to have it in a more (or very) expensive hotel, in a location with little or no convenient camping or less expensive lodging, far, far, far away from the opposite coast, and the main places to socialize are in someoneís room or a parking lot, thatís fine. Have it however and wherever you want. People are going to complain no matter what you do. If there is low turnout, then maybe changes will need to be made for the next one; or maybe not. It comes down to what do the active members of the board want.

Now, Fernando, in regard to your comment about a few pissed off people who think it's the organizersí fault they didn't register on time, Iíd be more than happy to fully go into detail for the board regarding what that was all about. Shall I continue? After all, you were the one to bring it up here, and since it involved me, I have plenty I could present. Shall I continue?

Philly you make some great points, and your memories and recollections of what the spirit of the UnRally was are exactly on target. Yes, prices have gone up, but we do still try and make it reasonably affordable. And yes, camping was the lodging du jour back in the day, and it seems to have shifted to hotel/motel. As you said, things change. But I love the way you 'splained it to everyone. You were there, as was I, Tommy, Dick, Gleno and others. And some organizers have stuck to the Simpler is Better theme, and others have gone their own way. In the end, though, everyone has met, ridden, made new friends, broken bread and had a good time.

As for the last comment about people registering late, that's been a common complaint from organizers since I helped plan the first Un. It wasn't targeted at anyone specifically, and certainly not at a friend. It was about not being able to please all the people all the time. I was going to say, "people will complain about getting their T-shirt size wrong." But it came out the way it did. Good grief, don't take it personally.

Again, thanks for the clear look back at what the Un is supposed to be. We've had some that were better than others, but we've never had a bad one. You're always a positive influene in that regard, so I look forward to seeing you at the next one.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/30/13 10:44 PM

Yeh...What he said.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/31/13 12:12 AM

Mike Cassidy

You would have to break both my legs and my throttle hand to keep me from making that trip if an UN showed up there. thumbsup
Posted By: ltljohn

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/31/13 12:27 AM

Mike Cassidy

You would have to break both my legs and my throttle hand to keep me from making that trip if an UN showed up there. thumbsup

It also has 3 hotels right next door. I would have to trailer (remember the Clampetts) but that looks great.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/31/13 01:12 AM

The Gunnison UN referenced a couple of posts above was my first. I didn't know enough to know that there was a split UN going on.

I had plenty of time at the campground to meet a lot of new folks, do some riding, story telling, beverage consuming.

It was so much fun I've been to a few more.

I was one of the few camping at this year's UN. Got kind of lonely when Bernie and Bob left the KOA to go to the hotel.

But I enjoyed the time spent with others and learned why it is called "Chasing Bernie"!

People change, their needs change and our perceptions change. As long as I get to spend some time socializing with folks, I don't much care where it is held. I will camp anywhere.
Posted By: PhillyFlash

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/31/13 01:35 AM

Mike Cassidy

Is that a request? Just asking.
Posted By: AdventurePoser

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/31/13 01:52 AM

Hmmm...now that I'm retired, I don't have to whine anymore about having the UN in July.

I just hope some of the old timers come to the UN...you know, the group that loved to ride, hang out, laugh, and enjoy each others company. You know, back in the day before politics, divisiveness, and apathy caused those folks to stop coming. I miss those folks.

See you in 2014, wherever it is.
Posted By: SageRider

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/31/13 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: AdventurePoser
Hmmm...now that I'm retired, I don't have to whine anymore about having the UN in July.

I just hope some of the old timers come to the UN...you know, the group that loved to ride, hang out, laugh, and enjoy each others company. You know, back in the day before politics, divisiveness, and apathy caused those folks to stop coming. I miss those folks.

See you in 2014, wherever it is.

thumbsup grin
Posted By: Bullett

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/31/13 04:56 AM

Originally Posted By: hopz

My point is pretty simple, .

I mean no disrespect toward anyone with my comments.

... and there we were starting a perfectly entertaining feud then along come some guy with reasoning. Come on Mark, get a grip.

I liked Topaz. Decent facility, good camping, great riding, reasonable prices, cost of California fuel out of sight, crazy tourist drivers around that big lake, etc. lets not dismiss it too soon.

Not to mention the gridlock and traffic involved in getting to the fancy liquor store in Gardnerville to buy a nice single malt or two. . . tongue wink
Posted By: Lineareagle

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 07/31/13 01:39 PM

Mike Cassidy

I've camped at Whitefish State park and been through Whitefish many times, daughter lives in Fernie, BC - not sure about riding in the area as I usually am just rolling through but certainly there is good riding in striking distance.
Whitefish itself is a pretty upscale town but again I have never really stopped there for any length of time.
I'll be going through again in a couple of weeks so if you all need or want some recon I could oblige.
Posted By: Calvin (no socks)

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/01/13 09:46 AM

It looks like Dave Swift is headed to Whitefish today with freshly rebuilt Ohlins. (Saw a post on FB)
Posted By: Marty Hill

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/01/13 11:33 AM

Sure glad I rode to the first one. Met some great folks who rode BMW's. Things have really changed. cry
Posted By: murrayg

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/01/13 06:14 PM

Gonna check around with a few people to see if we want to try and entice you riding ladies and gentlemen to come back to the great state of AR-Kan-Sas for some squiggly roads, camping, moderately price motels,,, and some real fine eat'n. I don't know if you would consider us West or East, but do consider us a land of opportunity for a future Un. Thanks for the parameters of a bid. I have not been very active lately, but returning to two wheeling after being out for 772 days.
Posted By: TyTass

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/01/13 07:32 PM

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the open discussion and ideas put forward. Lively debate helps keep the forum interesting.

I was always aware that you can't please all the people all the time. I think everyone is benefiting from this discussion.

And Pat, that camping won't be within sight of a venue I'm looking at. I've actually stayed at that KOA in the distant past, and it is a great location with great facilities. But there isn't a hotel close by that can accomodate a group of 80-120.

Bob, would this be OK? http://whitefishrvpark.com/ Well, other then the picture on their website of Mt Robson which is over 300 miles away frown

Mike Cassidy

Originally Posted By: murrayg
Gonna check around with a few people to see if we want to try and entice you riding ladies and gentlemen to come back to the great state of AR-Kan-Sas for some squiggly roads, camping, moderately price motels,,, and some real fine eat'n. I don't know if you would consider us West or East, but do consider us a land of opportunity for a future Un. Thanks for the parameters of a bid. I have not been very active lately, but returning to two wheeling after being out for 772 days.

Although I have no idea whether I'll be able to make the UN next summer or not, I heartily thank you both for your positive posts and your willingness to be productive. Good luck on the reasearch!

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/01/13 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Marty Hill
Sure glad I rode to the first one. Met some great folks who rode BMW's. Things have really changed. cry

Ain't that the truth. The new ones have six speeds.
Posted By: Fubar

Re: Colorado? - 08/01/13 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: John Ranalletta
How about Fort Wayne? After all, if it's good enough for the Wing Dingers ...

+1 for Gunnison

Just cuz my sister and her Wing Dinger family with all their various Honda products are located in Fart Wayne, don't for a picosecond think I'm gonna go to any rally there!
Posted By: eddd

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/01/13 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Marty Hill

I'm always glad to meet great people no matter what they ride or even if they don't.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/02/13 04:16 AM

Whitefish, BC or Ar-Kan-Sas for the next UnRally and I will make every effort possible to be there! thumbsup

Of course it is the "people" and not just the riding so I will make every effort possible to be at the next UnRally no matter where it might be. smile
Posted By: dhanson

Re: Colorado? - 08/02/13 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Bud
Originally Posted By: dhanson

Well, we knew you had a passport, after all, you made it across the border into Illinois. grin wave

Or did they just let you in because you were with Jean???? rofl

Jean gets me in a lot places, some are hard to get out of.
Posted By: Bob_Sheehan

Re: Colorado? - 08/02/13 04:29 PM

Dudes!

Has everyone forgotten that in Colorado we can pass around big fat doobies and it's totally legal?

Bob
Posted By: Les is more

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/02/13 07:33 PM

Quote:
Although I have no idea whether I'll be able to make the UN next summer or not, I heartily thank you both for your positive posts and your willingness to be productive. Good luck on the reasearch!

I second that emotion. The UN will be wonderful no matter where it is held. The fact that there are members who are willing to step up and give the gift of their time and effort to all of us here never ceases to amaze me.
I have been to Uns I through IX and loved every one of them. Heck, Jamie and I even organized one and had a blast doing so. If there were drawbacks to one or another, the people and riding obliterated those small details from my mind.
Rest assured that the organizers will work their tails off to make it seem effortless for you to be there. They will do everything in their powers to make it as good as possible for as many people as possible and it will be perfect, just as all of the others have been. Go if you possibly can, no matter where it is. Make it happen. You won't regret it.
Posted By: Joe G

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/03/13 10:07 PM

Missoula, Montana for the location. Good roads in all directions.

Dates: late(r) July so as not to interfere with the Fourth of July.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/04/13 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Les is more
Quote:

I second that emotion. The UN will be wonderful no matter where it is held. The fact that there are members who are willing to step up and give the gift of their time and effort to all of us here never ceases to amaze me.
I have been to Uns I through IX and loved every one of them. Heck, Jamie and I even organized one and had a blast doing so. If there were drawbacks to one or another, the people and riding obliterated those small details from my mind.
Rest assured that the organizers will work their tails off to make it seem effortless for you to be there. They will do everything in their powers to make it as good as possible for as many people as possible and it will be perfect, just as all of the others have been. Go if you possibly can, no matter where it is. Make it happen. You won't regret it.

Thank you, Les.

Everything Les has said is absolutely true. Every single Un has been in just the right location. There have been people to meet and get to know. Friendships to make that have lasted years and years. Challenging roads to be conquered, scenic views to be enjoyed, and memories to be catalogued to last a lifetime. If you can make it to the Un, go.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/04/13 05:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Les is more

I have been to Uns I through IX and loved every one of them. Heck, Jamie and I even organized one and had a blast doing so.

Dang this short term memory loss....Which one did I help you and Jamie with??? dopeslap
Posted By: AdventurePoser

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/07/13 05:23 AM

I'd be in for Arkansas, but only if I can ride here:

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/07/13 05:56 AM

Arkansas would be an East Un, next scheduled for 2015. And from what I recall from the folks who attended Un II back there about a decade ago, everything you say about the place is true. Great roads, fine folks, incredible food, and purty fair prices.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/07/13 11:46 PM

On our ride to Blowing Rock we found the Booger Hollow sign in bad shape and the Park Ranger said that the store was closed.

The roads are still great.
Posted By: drswift

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/08/13 10:07 PM

Just a few comments about Whitefish (aside from the fact I love the area):
It's overrun with Canadians in the summer (no offense, Mike!). Traffic sucks, and I doubt you could find any one place with five rooms available for advance group bookings.

I think peak season near any national park is going to present problems in availability and cost for a large group.

I did some "scouting" on our trip up to Alaska. Yakima and Leavenworth, WA has some potential, as does East Oregon.
Posted By: marcopolo

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/09/13 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: drswift
...It's overrun with Canadians in the summer (no offense, Mike!)...

You say that like it's a bad thing, Dave. grin

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/09/13 09:33 PM

Dave:

I'm not sure exactly what week you were in Whitefish, but it does get a lot busier July 4 to Aug 14. This last weekend was a long weekend in Canada and there were lots of us Canucks in the Flathead Valley. I know a few Albertans with a condo or "cabin" in the area.

However, there is lots to do on an "off" day. Railway museum, hang out at Whitefish or Flathead Lake, zipline at the Big Mountain, rafting one of the forks of the Flathead River, take a short hike in Glacier National Park, just sit and have a few cool ones at the Great Northern.

The best riding ISN'T where the HD riders go. MT 37 east side of Lake Koocanusa, Yaak River Rd, east side Glacier Park up to Waterton.

And enough gravel to keep you busy for a week.

Mike Cassidy
Posted By: murrayg

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/13/13 04:58 PM

Well we just don't want you wandering any ole place, but for sure we would put you on highway 7 south to Bogger Holler. Don't get lost now ya hear? thumbsup

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/13/13 07:22 PM

I would love to go to Whitefish for a gathering. My point was that
1. it is very crowded until late August
2. it is expensive because of the proximity to Glacier and the influx of tourists
3. there aren't many motels with enough rooms for 80-100 of us.

That said, if we can do one there, I'll be there! thumbsup

Mark: the visitors from Calgary call Whitefish the Canadian Tijuana cuz it's so cheap for them with all those big box stores and Costco booze!

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/13/13 08:09 PM

Please make the voices in my head stop and call the ball.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/13/13 11:49 PM

Please make the voices in my head stop and call the ball.

I hear voices all the time. 1 more drink and I'll see 3 balls floating around, and it might not even relate to baseball.

OK Tom, now tell me which ball does one focus one with one eye?

PS have you dyed your pony tail yet? You could look 30 if you did so.
Nice re meeting you at #12.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/14/13 12:17 AM

Always begin by placing one foot on the floor.
That will keep the room from spinning.

Second, I suggest golf shoes.

As far as the hair styles go, I've done most of them.
Shaved, permed, hennaed, frosted, you get the idea.
What can I say, I had cosmetologists in the family.
Now I'm giving my hair some well deserved time off.
But that could all change tomorrow.

What I learned through all those styles was, two weeks is the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut.
Posted By: Fathom

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/17/13 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Joe G

Hey, I have friends / old neighbors who live right there, and it's on my list! Most cool.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/20/13 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe G

Why not interfere with July 4th?
Montana is a cool place- ya get to blow sh!t up!!
None of that safe and sane Kalifornia krap.....
Let creativity prevail!!!
Posted By: hopz

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/22/13 01:22 PM

Missoula truly is in a nice location, close to Lolo Pass etc, but... and its a big butt... the traffic is terrible and made moreso by roads not designed/planned for the number of people moving about.

We have spent time measured in hours trying to get from one place to another to achieve fuel, food, and believe it or not just getting out of a 7/11.

Not worth the hassle in my book.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/22/13 08:40 PM

We can always do a "Flash Unrally." Find a nice motel in a great riding area, pick you own date and see who shows!

I'm sure lots of us have found numerous places that would be great UN spots, but most only have less than 40 rooms.

Rapid City or Deadwood, SD other that first week in August (Sturgis.)

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/23/13 06:14 PM

So far we have one complete Un proposal that has been submitted. We are awaiting for a second one by the first of next week, as the organizer is doing some more personal scouting, negotiating, and calculating over the weekend. We do hope to be able to review these shortly and have a decision in the next week, maybe two. No promises, but it looks like the dates for either would be mid-June 2014 to avoid the summer rates, the summer crush and excessive heat traveling to/from.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 08/23/13 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: EffBee
No promises, but it looks like the dates for either would be mid-June 2014 to avoid the summer rates, the summer crush and excessive heat traveling to/from.

Fantastic - thank you in advance to those that are working on proposals! thumbsup
Posted By: Fubar

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 10/22/13 01:47 AM

I was going to suggest Orlando.
Posted By: Capn Nak

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 11/15/13 09:45 PM

Hmm? I'll admit I am a newbie to this forum, so please excuse my ignorance... but what is the "UnRally?" Just a motorcycle meet up? An excuse to go on a cross-country road trip? Or? Reading the various posts it sounds like fun, er... unfun. Can someone please explain?

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 11/15/13 10:23 PM

Typically, motorcycle rallies have vendors, seminars, guest speakers, beer gardens, etc. etc. The UnRally has none of these because it's not a typical rally. It's an UN-Rally.

We're a group of individuals who too often only know each other on the internet, i.e. electronic identities and faceless words typed into the nethervoid. The UnRally is our once-a-year get-together to help put faces with the names, to meet and make dozens of new friends who ride a bike like yours, to go to a place with great roads and vistas, to walk a few blocks and try some local cuisine, to pick out some twisties you've never ridden before and share them with your new friends, and to come back to a central domicile and tell lies about it all night long. Then get up and do it again tomorrow.

There are no planned events, other than a group meal on the last night, so that we can all give thanks for the great times, break bread together, and share one last set of fabrications. You do have to register (registration is not open yet, and probably won't be until spring) and a fee, which covers that last dinner as well as a T-shirt. But beyond that, it's all up to you. Come join us. We promise you'll leave wanting to go to the next one.

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 11/17/13 01:59 PM

Best summery of the Un I have read! Is anyone else excited yet! clap
Posted By: ** Chris **

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 11/19/13 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Bob_Sheehan
Dudes!

Has everyone forgotten that in Colorado we can pass around big fat doobies and it's totally legal?

Bob

Not only that, but according to some, you can pass on double yellow lines with reckless abandon!

Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin - 11/20/13 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: ** Chris **
Originally Posted By: Bob_Sheehan
Dudes!

Bob

Not only that, but according to some, you can pass on double yellow lines with reckless abandon!

I don't think that applies to only Colorado! grin
© 2018 BMWSportTouring Forums