BMWSportTouring

A grounds keepers nightmare, NASCAR style...

Posted By: Huzband

A grounds keepers nightmare, NASCAR style... - 07/31/11 10:22 PM

Brickyard heyday...
Posted By: OoPEZoO

Re: A grounds keepers nightmare, NASCAR style... - 07/31/11 11:40 PM

More interesting to me is about the :54 second mark when they zoom out a little and you can see how empty the stands are.
Posted By: ltljohn

Re: A grounds keepers nightmare, NASCAR style... - 07/31/11 11:48 PM

I read an article Friday, the first race there drew 250K they expected about 120K today. More empty seats than full. But then how many events can draw 120K.
Posted By: Fubar

Re: A grounds keepers nightmare, NASCAR style... - 08/01/11 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: OoPEZoO
More interesting to me is about the :54 second mark when they zoom out a little and you can see how empty the stands are.
I hear you. I gave up Nascar last year after 35 years of watching every race and seeing Daytona 4 times in person. Even F1 is more fun, unless you just watch for the wrecks.
Posted By: Huzband

Re: A grounds keepers nightmare, NASCAR style... - 08/01/11 01:53 AM

It's not so much about NASCAR, but rather the lack of employment. But let's not get political here.

I just thought it was funny to see how they spread grass clippings all over the track.
Posted By: RonStewart

Re: A grounds keepers nightmare, NASCAR style... - 08/01/11 06:04 AM

I gave up on the sport a couple of years ago after 20-odd years of watching, including a live Daytona 500 and a live Southern 500.

Pretty hard to tell whether it is the sport or the economy. Too many races. Too many tracks too similar. Too much tv exposure. Too "corporate." Too few characters; the few characters are jerks. Cars too uniform. Too many races are too long. (Why, oh why, do we need 1000 miles at Pocono every year?)

Don't know if I am representative.
Posted By: Fubar

Re: A grounds keepers nightmare, NASCAR style... - 08/01/11 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: RonStewart
Too many races. Too many tracks too similar. Too much tv exposure. Too "corporate." Too few characters; the few characters are jerks. Cars too uniform. Too many races.

+1
Posted By: K12LTS

Re: A grounds keepers nightmare, NASCAR style... - 08/01/11 08:47 PM

I've been to Daytona, several years at Talladega and every Brickyard up until about three years ago.

I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Yesterday's race at Indy was pretty good. Lots of lead changes and a new guy got the win.
Posted By: keithb

Re: A grounds keepers nightmare, NASCAR style... - 08/01/11 09:19 PM

"More interesting to me is about the :54 second mark when they zoom out a little and you can see how empty the stands are."

Re: A grounds keepers nightmare, NASCAR style... - 08/01/11 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: K12LTS
I've been to Daytona, several years at Talladega and every Brickyard up until about three years ago.

Yesterday's race at Indy was pretty good. Lots of lead changes and a new guy got the win.
It's the loss of Dale Sr.
Posted By: Matts_12GS

Re: A grounds keepers nightmare, NASCAR style... - 08/02/11 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Beemer
Originally Posted By: K12LTS

It's the loss of Dale Sr.

That did it for me.
Posted By: Uncle Beemer

Re: A grounds keepers nightmare, NASCAR style... - 08/02/11 04:40 AM

Me too! For me, I guess Dale Sr. legitimized the sport. It just ain't the same without him! In retrospect, I can recall, when tuning into a race, asking, where's Dale? NASCAR, is not the same!
Posted By: tallman

Re: A grounds keepers nightmare, NASCAR style... - 08/02/11 11:07 AM

Takes a lot of skill to drive at those speeds'

But after a while it is like watching putt putt golf instaed of
PGA tournament.
Too much of the same thing.

Bring back the Cannonball.
© 2017 BMWSportTouring Forums