BMWSportTouring

Eearthquake in Virginia!

Posted By: Albert

Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 06:18 PM

We just felt an earthquake here in southwestern PA that was apparently around a 6.0 southwest of Washington DC. My cube walls, desk and monitors were rocking around a bit. It was my first. We had another one about 15 minutes later.
Posted By: Huzband

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 06:23 PM

I'm watching Fox News now. All Fed buildings in DC have been evacuated, but no reports of major damage or injuries as yet. JFK has been shut down, apparently for runway inspections.
Posted By: OoPEZoO

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 06:31 PM

Shook us pretty good here in Baltimore. The building cleared out quick. That was some pretty serious rockin and rollin
Posted By: upflying

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 06:43 PM

The shakes are pretty common in Ca, you get used to it.
Initial news reports sounds like some over reaction going on.
Posted By: Dennis Andress

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 06:52 PM

Oh, really? Cool. How long did it last? Was the movement up-and-down, or side-to-side?
Posted By: ltljohn

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 06:56 PM

We felt it over here in the Philadelphia area too. It was just a little movement in the floors kind of like when they used to blast in the quarry up the road.
Posted By: Ohio48

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Andress
Oh, really? Cool. How long did it last? Was the movement up-and-down, or side-to-side?

Kinda like the hookie pookie
Posted By: TyTass

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 06:57 PM

Yeah ... been in a few quakes in CA & HI a few decades back. This one was significant enough to make walking difficult while evacuating the building. We're some 40-60 miles from the epicenter. And we're pretty much on sand along the Chesapeake.

So, are folks over-reacting here? Possibly. However, as you point out, the shakes are commonplace out in CA, not back here in the east, so there is no baseline of what to expect from serious quakes here. We're not planted on the same foundation as you guys. So, let them close things down and check.
Posted By: Mike

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 07:01 PM

I received two emails regarding this: My sister in Atlanta said she felt it and wondered if we did. A friend in NYC told me that his building was evacuated.

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 07:01 PM

The motion on the 4th floor of my bldg was side to side. My chair rolled some. Took me a moment to figure out what was going on. Seemed to last for somewhere btwn 6-10 seconds ... but I really have no idea.

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 07:03 PM

James ... JBR7T ... is a fireman in Richmond. I'm sure he'll be busy for sometime, but I think we can expect him to provide an account here eventually.
Posted By: Dennis Andress

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: TyTass
The motion on the 4th floor of my bldg was side to side. My chair rolled some. Took me a moment to figure out what was going on. Seemed to last for somewhere btwn 6-10 seconds ... but I really have no idea.

Tall buildings always sway side to side. 6-10 seconds is pretty short, not really long enough to shake things apart.
Posted By: OoPEZoO

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 07:11 PM

Probably lasted 20-30 seconds maybe. I thought I saw the wall move, then heard the whole building groan, then felt the floor "roll" underneath my feet.

Craig......the epicenter was right in James's back yard
Posted By: Albert

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 07:16 PM

I'm about 20 miles south of Pittsburgh (second floor). I'd say we had around 3 seconds of side to side. It was enough motion that nobody here mistook it for something else. About 15 minutes later we had another little tremor that was about the same.
Posted By: ghaverkamp

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: TyTass
So, are folks over-reacting here? Possibly. However, as you point out, the shakes are commonplace out in CA, not back here in the east, so there is no baseline of what to expect from serious quakes here. We're not planted on the same foundation as you guys. So, let them close things down and check.

Quakes may be common here, but 6.0s aren't.
Posted By: beemerman2k

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 07:44 PM

I felt it in Hartford, CT. For the first few seconds, I thought I was imagining things. Then I noticed that even after I realized the building was shaking side to side, it was still shaking side to side!

I finally experience a MAJOR EARTHQUAKE!!! Twas nuthin'. California is made up of a bunch of whiners cool
Posted By: TomK

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 07:45 PM

Felt it way up here. I was in the eye doctor exam chair and it started to shake. Thought it was part of the therapy.

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: OoPEZoO

Probably lasted 20-30 seconds maybe. I thought I saw the wall move, then heard the whole building groan, then felt the floor "roll" underneath my feet.

Craig......the epicenter was right in James's back yard
Yeah, I know. His place is right over by Amelia CH.

As for how long it lasted, I can't be certain ... I was running out of the building ... and that was a weird event in itself. I guess I was saying how long it was going before we started running! Out of the building!
Posted By: jbr7t

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 08:38 PM

That was weird! So the official report I'm getting is that it was a magnitude 5.9 with an epicenter in Mineral, Va. That is about 5 - 8 Miles from my house. At the time I was in Fredericksburg..about 35 - 40 miles away. At first it sounded like a truck with a jake brake right next to the building. Then it proggressively grew. Lots of shaking. My guess it lasted about 30 seconds. No major damage save for a few items knocked off the walls. Spoke to several neighbors who were home at the time. Lots of pictures etc. knocked off walls but no apparent structural damage. Most importantly no reported injuries or casualties thus far. This is def. one to keep in mind for the grandkids..of course by then the story will be much more glamorous!
Posted By: Paul Mihalka

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 09:56 PM

Maryland west of Baltimore reporting: My wife felt it in the house and a few things fell off the shelves. I was on the lawn tractor and didn't feel a thing.
Posted By: Nice n Easy Rider

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Mihalka
Maryland west of Baltimore reporting: My wife felt it in the house and a few things fell off the shelves. I was on the lawn tractor and didn't feel a thing.

Paul, you're just used to taking the bumps in stride! grin
Posted By: Selden

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 11:24 PM

I rode through Mineral on the way from the UnRally to Delaware. Very small town, and I wondered how it got its name.

Quote:
[Mineral] was the center of gold mining activity in Louisa County and during its heyday there were no fewer than fifteen gold mines located within two miles (3 km) of the town. A zinc and lead mine also operated in the area into the 1970s.

Posted By: Hank in WV

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/23/11 11:44 PM

I was the only one at work that didn't feel it. I must have been the only one working.
Posted By: Green RT

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/24/11 12:05 AM

If it seems like this Virginia magnitude 5.9 was felt more widely than a comparable earthquake in California or Alaska, it is not just perception. In fact, earthquakes in the eastern part of the country are indeed felt at greater distance than the same size earthquake in the west. That happens because the crust of the earth in the east is made of older and more competent rocks. The crust in the west is pretty ground up by all the recent (geologically anyway) activity on that side of the country. Those rocks absorb energy from earthquakes so the shaking dies out faster as it moves away from the epicenter than it does for earthquakes in the east.
Posted By: enfoman

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/24/11 01:08 AM

Funny that reports from Cleveland and Maine came in. Where I was, you would be hard pressed to find a group of people that felt it along the confluence of the Hudson and Mohawk river where I was today. There is a sizable shale formation in this area of the Capital district of New York so, maybe that had something to do with it.
Posted By: Quinn

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/24/11 01:43 AM

I felt it here in the Piedmont of North Carolina. Felt like sitting on an out of balance washing machine on spin cycle. Lasted about 20 or 30 seconds. No aftershocks. I walked around the outside of the house expecting to see a cement truck or something rattling things up.

----
Posted By: lawnchairboy

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/24/11 01:54 AM

felt in my Portsmouth, va office...definitely noticeable but no biggie.
Posted By: Harry_Wilshusen

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/24/11 03:04 AM

I have a theory that the earthquake was caused by a blackhole in the basement of 1500 Pennsylvania Avenue.
Posted By: Selden

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/24/11 11:03 AM

Hmmm....

Attached File
quake.jpg  (37 downloads)
Posted By: RTJohn

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/24/11 01:03 PM

Enjoy it while it lasts...pretty cool huh?
Posted By: AdventurePoser

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/24/11 01:58 PM

I heard it shook so hard, it knocked some oil companies out of politicians' beds...

Thanks...I'll be here all week. Try the veal!

Steve
Posted By: Lone_RT_rider

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/24/11 02:49 PM

Felt it here in The Greenville/Spartanburg area. Side to side motion for about 30 seconds as well. It was my first. I thought maybe someone had bound up the overhead crane again in the shop next to the offices. smile

Shawn
Posted By: AdventurePoser

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/24/11 03:29 PM

California is so poor, even the quakes are leaving the state...

Steve in So Cal

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/24/11 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Steves1150plus50

Steve in So Cal

rofl
Posted By: Lone_RT_rider

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/24/11 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Nice n Easy Rider

Steve in So Cal

rofl

Correction: California is broke, not poor.
Posted By: keithb

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/24/11 05:02 PM

I must say I was amused by all the coverage the quake got having grown up 40 miles from Mineral in the West End of Richmond. Kinda like watching a big rain storm come thru SoCal which generates hundreds of car accidents.

Steve, I LOL about the quakes moving out-of-state. Good one.
Posted By: ghaverkamp

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/24/11 10:07 PM

Maybe they're fleeing the south. We had 2 in the Bay Area last night. Not too big (3.6 and 2.something), but I felt the first one. (It takes a decent one for me to distinguish it from a Muni bus going by.)
Posted By: CoarsegoldKid

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/24/11 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Albert
It was my first. We had another one about 15 minutes later.

I remember my first time. We did it again 15 minutes later too!

Some TV preacher will likely say it was punishment for some social evil. So you guys play nice out there on the Atlantic side.
Posted By: Husker Red

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/25/11 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: CoarsegoldKid
Some TV preacher will likely say it was punishment for some social evil. So you guys play nice out there on the Atlantic side.

And now followed by a hurricane - what's next, locusts?

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/25/11 02:51 PM

Woke up at 1:08am to another 4.5 aftershock. This is getting annoying now!

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/25/11 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: jbr7t

Come on James - 4.5 is only a slight inconvenience. Annoying will be when they start coming in at the 6-7 range. frown
Posted By: Shaman97

Photo of Earthquake Devastation in NY - 08/25/11 11:39 PM

This is rough. Glad I live in California; I'm lucky.

Posted By: CoarsegoldKid

Re: Photo of Earthquake Devastation in NY - 08/26/11 02:47 AM

rofl
Serious stuff those earthquakes. I hope all my friends got through it without injury.
Quote:
Annoying will be when they start coming in at the 6-7 range.

If you guys get a 7 you'll think the world came to an end. Four chairs down.

Re: Eearthquake in Virginia! - 08/29/11 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Nice n Easy Rider
Originally Posted By: jbr7t

Come on James - 4.5 is only a slight inconvenience. Annoying will be when they start coming in at the 6-7 range. frown

Like I said "annoying" hahaha
© 2017 BMWSportTouring Forums