IGNORED

1999 R1100RT exhaust question

capj66

I was looking under the bike today and noticed that the center stand bracket is not attached to the tabs on the exhaust as it shows in the manual. Is this something I should be worried about? Or am I just being overly critical about what I see in the exploded view of the manual.

Also I have the opportunity to pick up a 2003 R1150RT muffler that is in excellent shape for cheap. Can this be used on a 1999 R1100RT? Thanks Jim in CT.

It may be possible that a previous owner had the exhaust off and didn't bother to attach the exhaust tabs to the brackets upon reinstallation. I wouldn't worry too much though, my aftermarket exhaust doen't have the tabs and there's no problem.

You should not worry about the muffler attachment by the center stand. The attachment bolts are not available, as BMW doesn't feel that they are necessary, so even if you wanted to attach the muffler you wouldn't be able to.

Edited by Edgarr
You should not worry about the muffler attachment by the center stand. The attachment bolts are not available, as BMW doesn't feel that they are necessary, so even if you wanted to attach the muffler you wouldn't be able to.
And they're a pain to remove it you need to do some work on the back half of the bike. They are rubber mounted and tend to twist when you try to apply torque.

And they do nothing to help prevent the rear muffler hanger bracket from breaking off. Although when it does break off, they help keep the muffler from drooping too much.

• 9 years later...

I noticed my exhaust was clanging a bit over bigger bumps yesterday. This is the best I could find in the threads. Someone know how hard this is to change out and how critical it is to get done before riding? Looks like the Harbor Freight lift may get some use this week if I can find the part and get it ordered.

rear muffler hanger bracket was my search term so I will look for a replacement.

I noticed my exhaust was clanging a bit over bigger bumps yesterday. This is the best I could find in the threads. Someone know how hard this is to change out and how critical it is to get done before riding? Looks like the Harbor Freight lift may get some use this week if I can find the part and get it ordered.

rear muffler hanger bracket was my search term so I will look for a replacement.

Afternoon freebird6

It's not too terribly difficult but can be a bit trying if you don't have the correct tools or the bolts are corroded up & won't come loose.

The o2 sensor is probably the place of most concern. There are basically two ways to work with the o2 sensor.

The first (& correct way) is to remove the Tupperware & lift the rear of fuel tank then unplug the o2 sensor plug, loosen the o2 pig tail then remove the o2 with the exhaust. Then swap the o2 sensor between the exhaust systems, then reinstall back in bike as an assembly.

The other way is to loosen then remove the o2 sensor with the exhaust still on the bike (this forces a lot of twists in the o2 sensor pig tail harness. Then remove the exhaust & install the new one. Then back-twist the o2 sensor harness again (so the pig tail ends up with no twists when the o2 is reinstalled & torqued). (it can be done this way but that assumes you can get the o2 sensor loose with exhaust still in the bike & you don't mind twisting up your o2 sensor wire pig tail)

If your 1100 still has the rear cat mounts (& they are not now broken) you might ruin those & have to eliminate them when installing the new system.

I don't think I was looking to replace the system as much as I was looking to replace the mounts.

Morning freebird6

Depending on what is broken you can just eliminate the rear cat mounts as BMW did just that on later models.

If rear muffler mount is broken loose then a good weld shop can repair (re-weld that) for you.