IGNORED

Carrying camping gear on an R1200RT

wsearl

I am planning a month long two-up trip in New Zealand later this year. I have a large top box in addition to the side cases, but will still need to carry a tent, a couple of Therma-rests and sleeping bags outside the hard luggage.

I figure I can use two waterproof compression sacks and attach them with straps to the top of the sidecases. Has anybody done this and and do they have any attachment suggestions and are there any cautionary tales to tell? And does anybody have any suggestions for keeping this external gear secure when the bike is unattended e.g. when taking a tour over a period of hours.

Hi Bill: That is exactly what I do. A top each side case I strap a 35L 'Sea to Summit' dry bag. One side with tent, groundsheet and waste bag, and the other with sleeping bag, thermarest and thermarest chair. The only disadvantage is that it takes away a fair amount of rear view - okay, pretty much all usable rear view mirror. I used to use Ortlieb dry bags but they are much bulkier than the Sea to Summit ones since they are made from PVC verses a synthetic.

Best of luck packing things in!

Best of luck! Sounds like an amazing trip. That's a great question about security, one I've yet to figure out. On the road, I pretty much leave the bike (loaded) alone as little as possible. Even if I did lock up the drybags, a person could open and empty them, leaving me with empty bags. When I have left them, I trust in the goodwill of others and that my soft-goods like clothes, wet tent, ground cloth, pad aren't too desirable. I'm curious to see what others say though. I've seen this same debate with things like helmets, tankbags, jackets, and gloves other places on this forum too.

I use an Ortlieb Dry bag, very durable

Ortlieb Dry Bag Link

I use Rok straps to strap it across the Pillion seat using the handgrips (as Helen Two Wheels recommends). I keep my sleeping pad/sleeping bag inside waterproof stuff sacks so they stay dry.

Rok Straps Link

Waterproof Stuff Sack Link

Some folks prefer to keep this in two different bags (not mix the "wet" stuff such as tent and ground cloth with dry), but I prefer to carry all my camping stuff in one bag.

Of course, if you have a pillion rider, my method doesn't work so well....

In any case, the Rok straps would work great. I used to use just plain nylon straps and switched over to the rok straps two years ago. I love them...

I use Ortlieb bags on the GS, but prefer a "u-pack" for the RT (seen with an Ortlieb bag in the picture). I remove the Givi topbox to use it. Since we are two up, this allows us to accomodate both our gear needs. (two sleeping bags, pads, tent, etc,)

I also mount a GS mirror on the RT for rear ward visibility.

img_5303.jpg

My wife is only about 5'3" and has trouble mounting and simounting if things are strapped to the top of both side cases. She's OK with just one side (usually the right).

I added a rack to the top of my Givi case, drilled 3 additional holes in the Givi mounting plate and bottom of the case and bolting it down so it's more secure. (I feared with enough weight, the top case could break off)

Then I strap down compression sacks with my ten and thermarest pads. I also strap down out compact camping stools and some additonal teelscoping polls I use to make a tarp into a awning so we can sit outside the tent if its raining.

In my top case I have a large fire grate (wife like that better than a propane stove), folding shovel, tarp, ground cloth, sleeping bags (very compact goose down bags), stakes, rope, pots&pans, compact mess kit, and a few other misc. items.

In the side cases go our clothes. If needed, on longer trips I put out towls and spare shoes in a dry compression sack on top of the right saddlebag. I use compression bags in the saddlebags as well.

I use wide nylon straps with quick release buckels. 100 times better than bungees. Until i botled down the top case, I was using a tie own to help stabilize it with all the gear on the rack.

Is that a lot of weigh on the rear rack. Yup. Did I have any problems on some terrible Iowa and Missouri roads on a 200 mile trip that easily bottom out the rear suspension including getting airborn over some RR tracks... nope.

Will the bike easily wheelie even in 3rd gear... yes... but it still accelrates hard enough to safely pass on 2 lane roads... it's just more entertaining doing it on 1 wheel part of the time.

A trailer would be better, but I'm not interested in dropping $1500 on a good set-up... and I still like the challenge of fitting everything on the bike. Using a trailer is cheating. When loaded down, I do wish for a 1" longer wheelbase sometimes or larger side cases or larger, wider top case. I wish I had an E52 instead of a V46.

In either case, FYI - I'm well past all the weight limits for the side cases, top case and I'm sure the rear rack as well.

I use a helen 2 wheels dry bag. I roll all the air out of my thermarest pad, place it in the bag, then 'unroll' it leaving a space in the middle. Then I put my tent pole bag into the space. Then, stuff the sleeping bag around the tent poles, and finally stuff the tent and footprint in. Then fold the end of the dry bag shut. I tie the whole thing on with Rok Straps.

Hard to see the black bag in the photo, but here it is:

utahborder.jpg

Edit: forgot to mention that the dry bag in this configuration doesn't impede vision in the rear view mirrors nearly as much as bags on the hard cases does.

All the advise makes sense so add this to the list. If I am traveling alone on my R1200RT, I swear by my Motofizz (large) in addition to the hard cases and top case (optional). I like everything about this bag -- big, expandable, easy on and off, lots of ways to attach things to it. Supposedly, not very waterproof but I always pack a couple of heavy duty garbage bags in case of rain.

Have fun

Thanks to everybody for your input. What I am thinking is a 'Sea to Summit' dry bag on one side only - I hadn't considered the mirror and pillion access issues - and a Pacsafe Stuffsafe 80 dry bag for the security problem. I'll post a photo when I get it set up.

Edited by wsearl

Here's our bike ready to roll on our first camping trip last October. We have smaller sleeping bags now so I shouldn't need the larger bag you see on top. It's was about even with my wife's head. I also bolted down the topcase so I shouldn't need the tiedown you see on front of the case.

You could feel the load in cross winds and passing trucks, but I mostly kept the windshield all the way up which helped. it was quite a load and low speeds. I think I now know what it's like to ride an LT.

DSCN1124_edited.jpg

• 1 month later...
Thanks to everybody for your input. What I am thinking is a 'Sea to Summit' dry bag on one side only - I hadn't considered the mirror and pillion access issues - and a Pacsafe Stuffsafe 80 dry bag for the security problem. I'll post a photo when I get it set up.

This is what I have come up with: 2532173489_f599f4be30_b.jpg

2532179915_91bc619c33_b.jpg

For those not familiar with the fastening straps I have used, this is the site:

Andy Strapz

As for keeping things safe from theft while away from the bike: rule #1 is bring less junk. Rule #2 is bring inexpensive junk. But that's not always gonna fly. Lots of folks use a 1/2 cover to keep things hidden. I use a 6' x 3/16" cable (kabletek flexweave) and run it through a sleeve, a pant leg, and the helmet chinbar, then down to my disk lock (or somewhere convenient). Another cable retains my duffle bag on the rear seat. Also have a mini padlock for the zipper pulls to limit pilfering in the duffle. Usually I'll haul my tankbag with me. I also use a mini daypack that folds into it's own tiny pocket - I got that for taking groceries to the campsite when the bike's stuffed, but it can be used to haul around the extra stuff you don't want stolen.... A determined thief will get what he wants though. Pay attention and park in visible places at the front of the lot, rather than out back. Be wary of seedy locations. And pack the expensive stuff inside your locking cases. So the crook gets your dirty drawers, pots and pans, and your food bag. You can live with that. I think that's about as good as it gets.

Or you could pay me to tag along and I'll stay with the bikes while you go in and enjoy yourself - worry free!

finallyabeemer

For locking up, I stopped at local hardware store and bought about 20' of clear vinyl covered 1/8" aircraft cable and a couple alumunum swage doohickeys to form small loop on either end. Even 1/8" has stopped any stuff from walking away (very few opportunity thieves carry cutters capable of cutting 1/8" cable), and 20' is enough to loop through both helmets, riding suits, tank bag handle, and lock to bike.

• 9 years later...

You can save a lot of space with no loss of comfort if you replace the Thermarests with backpacker air mattresses from Big Agnes, REI, Symat, etc.

http://bmrproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=005-R1200RTFlatbed_black

Bmr Products has this AWSOME flat bed luggage rack made specifically for the 12RT and boasts it is a campers dream.

Check it out

Jim

Looks like all their products are out of stock. Anyone know what's going on? That flat bed luggage rack looks interesting. It says it fits LC models?

No stock for over a year. I sent an email about a shelf for my GT last year and never got a response.

www.helen2wheels.com

www.racerpartswholesale.com

Complete waterproof packing system

Call if you have questions.

Full disclosure:

I own RPW which bought H2W a few months ago.

Tom Volk

If the H2W products are the same quality as when I bought my stuff in the early 2000s then ++++ for this gear. Have used my stuff for M/C trips and for some wilderness camping/canoe trips for over 20 years and they do keep your stuff dry. They are as good today as when I bought the stuff and will go for decades more.

Sorry if I missed a post on this. With two up what about adding an accessory rack to the top box. I've seen a few and am contemplating that for my box.

Edited by Paul De

I have always believed in the two dry bag method. Similar to this combination. Two Sets of Rok Straps go under pillion seat to frame. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/dryspec-d66-waterproof-motorcycle-dry-bag-modular-packing-system-in-black-grey-orange

One bag (the bottom bag, usually heavier) holds everything for outdoors/outside the tent. Tent, ground cloth, extra shoes, cooking items, extra liner/light jacket, kermit chair etc. The top bag holds everything needed in the tent: bag, mattress, pillows, lights, fan.

Side cases hold the clothe, shave kit. The top case the tools, tire plugger, light food, extra water, rain gear.

I strap bags similar to this; https://www.google.com/search?q=pics+of+dry+bags+strapped+to+motorcycle+seat&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7u6ryh5zYAhUELSYKHSeICikQ7AkIQg&biw=1530&bih=714#imgrc=xhCncXoIBjgcUM: and use them as back rest. Straps can be put under pillion seat when not needed.

Tank bag, for light snacks, first aid, odds and ends.

I unstrap at destination, keep inside bag out of dirt or on table or on seat of bike while I set up tent. The outdoor bag can go on ground and I unpack the tent first, get it set up, and then toss the clean indoor bag inside tent. Pack up is breeze. I pack inside bag first from warm tent get dressed and all that left is outside bag to pack. Takes about 15-20 minutes.