Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#432186 - 01/09/09 03:41 AM Re: Rain under my windscreen [Re: 2on2off]  
2on2off Offline
Newer Member
2on2off  Offline
Newer Member

Reedley, California
There are two VStream windscreens for the R1200RT from Ztechnik. The Z2402 and Z2403. The Z2403 is wider and taller than the Z2402.

Here is a pic of the Z2402:

Attached Files
Z2402.jpg (406 downloads)

I came to ride.............
#432187 - 01/09/09 03:42 AM Re: Rain under my windscreen [Re: 2on2off]  
2on2off Offline
Newer Member
2on2off  Offline
Newer Member

Reedley, California
Here is a pic of the Z2403:

Attached Files
Z2403.jpg (405 downloads)

#432207 - 01/09/09 04:34 AM Re: Rain under my windscreen [Re: 2on2off]  
themenz Offline
Newer Member
themenz  Offline
Newer Member

California, USA
Originally Posted By: 2on2off

I noticed something interesting on my last trip. I have a full face Arai Helmet and a full face Shoei helmet. When I apply anti-fog liquid to the Shoei it doesn't work at all. When I apply the same to the Arai, it works great. The two face shields must be made of different material.

I used the Arai on my last trip because I already had speakers mounted in the helmet. I didn't realize the anti-fog would work better on the Arai until we reached Canada, and the rain, and I began trying the anti-fog liquid (I can't remember the product name at the moment). It worked great and made visibility in the rain no problem. The Shoei helmet I have fogs up easily and I always have to keep the face shield cracked open to vent the fogging.

Excellent observation!

Full Disclosure: I make Fogtech Anti-Fog and Raincoat Water Repellent.

I have purchased maybe 20 Shoei and Arai visors over the past 6 years. I use them to test my formulas. And I noticed the exact same thing. Fogtech lasts several times as long on an Arai as on a Shoei. Yet they both are made of polycarbonate! eek

Here is what is happening. Polycarbonate (PC) is tough but scratches very easily. So all manufacturers apply hardcoats or anti-scratch coatings to their shields. There are many types of such coatings and some are more water repellent than others. In general, Arai visors repel water less than Shoei visors.

You can test this yourself. Wash your Shoei and Arai visors well and dry. Now hold the visor face up and gently sprinkle some good size drops on them from just a couple of inches away. Notice how the drops look. Then tilt the shield until the drops roll off. The drops on the Arai will be flatter and when they roll off they will leave trails of water. The drops on the Shoei will be taller and will leave few tails as they roll off. The coating on the Shoei is more hydrophobic than the Arai.

What does this have to do with anti-fogs? My tests show that the more hydrophobic a shield is, the shorter the life of an anti-fog coating. Even though Fogtech is probably the best at coating, it will last a shorter period of time and is more touchy to apply on a Shoei.

Raincoat makes both the Arai and Shoei shields much more hydrophobic. I used an Arai in the video because the difference is so dramatic. That visor was brand new. As visors age, water adheres more.

Raincoat and Fogtech at www.motosolutions.com
#432296 - 01/09/09 03:15 PM Re: Rain under my windscreen [Re: 2on2off]  
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist
tallman  Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist

Tallahassee, Florida
Bigger screen means more pressure.
So manufacturer reduces back pressure with the opening creating a laminar flow.
If you want the benefit of larger screen, then you'll have to live with this negative during rain.

If my mind wanders, should I follow it?
Tim
Conch Town Krewe
2003 K 1200 GT
1996 R 100 RSL
1980 R 100 RT
1972 R 75
1968 R 50
All now gone...

#432332 - 01/09/09 04:16 PM Re: Rain under my windscreen [Re: tallman]  
RTP'er Offline
RTP'er  Offline

Northern California
I wouldn't know. I don't ride in the rain. Sun is out this morning though, I am riding to work today.
It sounds like an interesting problem to have. Rain drops on your helmet visor on a motorcycle. Who ever heard of such a thing?

#432378 - 01/09/09 05:51 PM Re: Rain under my windscreen [Re: tallman]  
2on2off Offline
Newer Member
2on2off  Offline
Newer Member

Reedley, California
Originally Posted By: tallman
Bigger screen means more pressure.
So manufacturer reduces back pressure with the opening creating a laminar flow.
If you want the benefit of larger screen, then you'll have to live with this negative during rain.

I will happily live with the negative during rain because I love this windscreen so much when it isn't raining which is probably over 95% of the time where I ride.

My understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, is that all RT windscreens allow water to come under the windscreen so it is more an RT design issue than a windscreen issue. Again, correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I'd like to hear from other riders who are using other windscreens, including stock ones, who have ridden their bikes in the rain to hear what their results are.

If I choose to ride to Alaska this summer, I will plan to potentially ride several thousand miles in rain so I'm just trying to get ready with options in case it becomes a problem, which I don't expect it will be.

My riding buddy rides an RT with the same windscreen as I have, uses a Shoei Helmet and wears glasses. While riding in the rain he has issues with his visor and glasses fogging and if he opens up the visor to vent out the fog, he gets rain on his glasses making visibility more difficult but this won't keep us from riding thousands of miles in the rain.

I would be happy to try some anti-fog samples, especially this time of year when we have rain, fog and cold temps to deal with. I'd like to try the anti fog product mentioned in an earlier post on my Shoei visor and see how it works in the rain, fog and cold.

I'm always looking to make the riding more enjoyable especially since I like to ride very long days in rain or shine. Even though I have been riding for over 42 years now, I'm still having the time of my life exploring places I've never been to.

If things work out for me this summer, I hope to ride from Central California to Nova Scotia and back and may put in many 1,000 mile days which means I don't want to have to stop riding when the weather changes and I don't want to compromise safety because of any visibility issues with my visor or windscreen. My riding buddy actually has more issues with visibility than I do so the solutions I'm looking for are for him as well.

#432734 - 01/10/09 10:26 PM Re: Rain under my windscreen [Re: 2on2off]  
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist
tallman  Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist

Tallahassee, Florida
Not all RT's.
Get a helmet w/a pinlock anti-fog insert.
Use Cat crap on the glasses and they won't fog.
Problem solved.
Best wishes.

If my mind wanders, should I follow it?
Tim
Conch Town Krewe
2003 K 1200 GT
1996 R 100 RSL
1980 R 100 RT
1972 R 75
1968 R 50
All now gone...

#433428 - 01/12/09 04:40 PM Re: Rain under my windscreen [Re: 2on2off]  
elkroeger Offline
elkroeger  Offline

Rochester WA
Here in Seattle, we just embrace the wet stuff. Certainly if you travel to Alaska, or cross-country anywhere, you will get drenched sooner or later. Best to just accept the fact that you will get wet.... Either that, or buy a Mazda.

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Eric
#433959 - 01/13/09 09:40 PM Re: Rain under my windscreen [Re: elkroeger]  
effexer1 Offline
effexer1  Offline

New Brunswick Canada
I have riding in the rain aced. I only use a 3/4 helmet, with a visor (Shoei), and I can pull my helmet forward so that the visor is almost blocking my view, and sit so I can just see over the windshield, and I have no problem with water on my glasses. My buddies all ride with full face helmets, and on rainy days they can't see anything except for my tail light if I drive slow. Of course, they can't see anything other than my tail light if we're driving fast either!!! lol

Steve

04 R1150RT (Red)
93 Harley FXR (sold)
73 Honda ST90
#434058 - 01/14/09 12:53 AM Re: Rain under my windscreen [Re: effexer1]  
psmitty Offline
psmitty  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
How tall are you guys. Because I'm 6' 3" and dont'a have that problem. Rain is going to hit you when it falls from the sky. smile

Paul
07 1200 RT / IBA #24818 / BMW MOA #148578
My USA Map
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4