Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
#498870 - 07/17/09 04:23 AM This may be the end to "Loud Pipes Save Lives"  
Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV Offline
Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV  Offline

Incline Village, NV
American Motorcyclist magazine August 2009 page 18, outlines a new test by SAE that establishes a test "to verify whether a street motorcycle violated the jurisdiction's noise law. Now there is". Finally, at the very least it looks like we can eliminate the use of "Straight Pipes" and ticket the riders who wear ear-plugs and opertate them.

#498918 - 07/17/09 12:29 PM Re: This may be the end to "Loud Pipes Save Lives" [Re: Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV]  
mistercindy Offline
mistercindy  Offline

N. Dallas 'burb
Its called the J2825. Here's an article from WebBikeWorld dated July 8, 2009. I've read from some other source that the "loud pipes saves lives" crowd is already preparing legal challenges for any jurisdiction that adopts it.

From the article:
"The AMA maintains that few factors contribute more to misunderstanding and prejudice against street riders than excessively noisy motorcycles," Moreland continued.

"With the new SAE J2825 standard, street motorcyclists can now determine how quiet, or loud, their bikes really are."

'05 R1200GS
#498948 - 07/17/09 02:03 PM Re: This may be the end to "Loud Pipes Save Lives" [Re: mistercindy]  
Lets_Play_Two Offline
Lets_Play_Two  Offline

Olympic Peninsula, USA
Next will be a review of the impact of excess speed. smile

Bill

2007 K1200GT

Penelope Pitstop's Wacky Racer

"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton

#498955 - 07/17/09 02:19 PM Re: This may be the end to "Loud Pipes Save Lives" [Re: mistercindy]  
Ken H. Offline
Turtle Whacks
Ken H.  Offline
Turtle Whacks

Edmonton, AB Canada
Well I was just about to cheer that the AMA had finally come to their senses until I got to this part, "While the AMA supports the establishment of the SAE J2825 standard in America's cities, towns and communities, we will continue to fight efforts that single out motorcycles while still permitting excessive sound from other sources, such as loud cars and trucks, booming car stereos, poorly maintained generators, whining leaf blowers, and the like."

Sigh...

Oh well, guess I wonít be joining them still.

Ken & Donna H.
Doctor Ė I need to learn how to relax faster.

If you want to ride tomorrow, ride quietly today.
Quiet is cool, silent is sexy.
#498957 - 07/17/09 02:19 PM Re: This may be the end to "Loud Pipes Save Lives" [Re: Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV]  
Ken H. Offline
Turtle Whacks
Ken H.  Offline
Turtle Whacks

Edmonton, AB Canada
Originally Posted By: Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV
American Motorcyclist magazine August 2009 page 18, outlines a new test by SAE that establishes a test "to verify whether a street motorcycle violated the jurisdiction's noise law. Now there is". Finally, at the very least it looks like we can eliminate the use of "Straight Pipes" and ticket the riders who wear ear-plugs and opertate them.

clap

Ken & Donna H.
Doctor Ė I need to learn how to relax faster.

If you want to ride tomorrow, ride quietly today.
Quiet is cool, silent is sexy.
#499050 - 07/17/09 08:08 PM Re: This may be the end to "Loud Pipes Save Lives" [Re: Ken H.]  
Tom F. (formerly boney) Offline
Tom F. (formerly boney)  Offline

Sonoma, CA
Originally Posted By: Ken H.
Well I was just about to cheer that the AMA had finally come to their senses until I got to this part, "While the AMA supports the establishment of the SAE J2825 standard in America's cities, towns and communities, we will continue to fight efforts that single out motorcycles while still permitting excessive sound from other sources, such as loud cars and trucks, booming car stereos, poorly maintained generators, whining leaf blowers, and the like."

Sigh...

Oh well, guess I wonít be joining them still.

I find the AMA's inability to clean it's own house without pointing fingers hypocritical, to say the least.

The Beach Bus
Esoteric, at best.
#499485 - 07/19/09 03:48 PM Re: This may be the end to "Loud Pipes Save Lives" [Re: Tom F. (formerly boney)]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA
Show me any large organization that is involved with lobbying to the Federal government, and I'll show you an organization that often as not works against its own principles.

Craig
11 R1200GSA (aka Big Bird)
04 R1150RT (Sold)

"The fool, with all his other faults, has this also, he is always getting ready to live." Seneca
#499504 - 07/19/09 04:47 PM Re: This may be the end to "Loud Pipes Save Lives" [Re: TyTass]  
MAT2CHI Offline
MAT2CHI  Offline

Marin County - California
I've been a member of the AMA for two decades and they are our best allies. They don't condone loud pipes and they run articles about the damage being caused by the "loud pipes save lives" crowd. They run "Loud pipes lose rights" articles in their magazine to try and educate some of their members. What I see here is that they are fighting motorcycles being singled out while allowing other car, truck, loud car stereos etc from not being under the same scrutiny. The AMA is always going to go to bat for motorcyclist's rights and I don't see any other organization that's doing that. And I would like to see the straight pipe crowd go back to a quieter exhaust just as much as the next person. The AMA is not our enemy.........

Last edited by MAT2CHI; 07/19/09 04:48 PM.

2008 SM 610
2006 CRF450X
2004 R1150RT
1989 FXST
#499511 - 07/19/09 05:13 PM Re: This may be the end to "Loud Pipes Save Lives" [Re: Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV]  
T__ Offline
T__  Offline

Dick, I donít know.. I have done a lot of vehicle noise testing in my life (not motorcycles though) & there are lots of loopholes in on-the-side-of-the-road vehicle noise testing.. Like background & ambient noise,, EXACTLY what constitutes idle speed (& how does the tester verify it),, how about part throttle such as no tac or errant tachometer),, exhaust outlet exit angle,, no engine loading,, etc.. I can see lots of ways to beat that SAE J2825 test.. I have a Harley that can be very loud under wide open throttle loaded acceleration but it would easily pass that static SAE J2825 test as the engine camming makes the idle pretty weak (especially if I lower it) & if I add tons of spark (I have an adjustable timing module) it would sound pretty tame at no load part throttle.. Wonít really talk to you until heavy loaded acceleration when the module pulls spark out & the fueling comes online..
Then you have training of the person doing the testing & equipment calibration concerns..

The off road version of that noise test works fairly well as most places if you violate it you are just sent away & not ticketed.. I can see a lots of problems with the SAE J2825 holding up in court..

It seems like there are better laws already in place if a community wants to reign in loud exhausts.. Most loud pipes (that I know of anyhow) on most modern motorcycles violate basic state & federal emission control tampering laws.. In most cases the compliance can be done visually (even if the rider isnít present).. I would imagine in most states the penalties & fines are also much higher for emission / tampering volitions than excessive noise..

Twisty

#499526 - 07/19/09 06:26 PM Re: This may be the end to "Loud Pipes Save Lives" [Re: MAT2CHI]  
Tom F. (formerly boney) Offline
Tom F. (formerly boney)  Offline

Sonoma, CA
Originally Posted By: MAT2CHI
I've been a member of the AMA for two decades and they are our best allies. They don't condone loud pipes and they run articles about the damage being caused by the "loud pipes save lives" crowd. They run "Loud pipes lose rights" articles in their magazine to try and educate some of their members. What I see here is that they are fighting motorcycles being singled out while allowing other car, truck, loud car stereos etc from not being under the same scrutiny. The AMA is always going to go to bat for motorcyclist's rights and I don't see any other organization that's doing that. And I would like to see the straight pipe crowd go back to a quieter exhaust just as much as the next person. The AMA is not our enemy.........

Why not single out motorcycles? It's not the cars and trucks that are damaging our rights as motorcyclists. It's the motorcyclists with loud pipes that hurt us, and they're the one's that need to be taken off the road.

With friends like the AMA I don't need enemies.

The Beach Bus
Esoteric, at best.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12