IGNORED

Headlights out, high beam dash light on.

Nevets

Boy, it's been a while since I posted anything... hope I remember how....

2003 RT-P

I have high and low beam headlights both not illuminating, but I note the blue high beam indicator stays on. Do I just have a couple of burned out headlamp bulbs, or something else. Seems like a reasonable bad bulb indication, but see nothing of it in the manual. Thought I'd ask before I start pulling bulbs out, etc.

Oh yes, one more symptom. It's dark without the headlamps on.

The ground connetion on your headlamp assembly has burned out. BMW's solution is to fit a new headlamp. I would suggest rigging a new ground wire to the meatal lampholder surround.

Andy

The ground connetion on your headlamp assembly has burned out. BMW's solution is to fit a new headlamp. I would suggest rigging a new ground wire to the meatal lampholder surround.

Andy

I'm sure Andy is correct about the ground however my suggestion would be to consider upgrading to HID (tho you may still have to establish a ground if you "plug & play" the HID(s)).

This same issue has been a problem since I bought my 2004 R1150RT used last year. I bought the entire headlight, had the dealer install it during a service and the problem is now fixed. I asked for the old one and can fix it easily this summer with a small dab of epoxy to re-attach the ground strap that holds in the light and makes ground.

If you can get out the entire assembly and "see" it from the back - you probably can fix it. Just feeling around blind with it on your bike does not work (IMO).

I think we can all make some easy money if we can get our hands on the "used" headlights from RTs. $1.00 of high temp epoxy and a clamp makes it brand new.

We'll see

Edited by Mark Mayo

By any chance is the ground conection in question part of the entire bike wiring harness?

I will not repeat the entire story (I'd like to forget about it) but the bike has a new wiring harness installed by the dealer 2 years ago. I'm wondering if it's a case of one of the new connections coming loose. Obviously I'd like to avoid taking the front end off to remove the entire headlamp assembly...

I'll start staring at service manuals to see what I can figure out.

Thanks for the info so far. Like usual, you guys are the best.

I may have convinced myself that taking the front faring off (with attached headlamp assembly) is the only way to really find out what's goin on.

I may have convinced myself that taking the front faring off (with attached headlamp assembly) is the only way to really find out what's goin on.

Pretty much. You can confirm the diagnosis of a bad ground by touching a grounded wire to the metal lamp holder on the low-beam but the only way to see what is causing the bad ground is to drop the front of the bike.

Andy

Pretty much. You can confirm the diagnosis of a bad ground by touching a grounded wire to the metal lamp holder on the low-beam ......

Andy

I like the idea of confirming the bad ground first.... Is the metal lamp holder you mention behind the round plastic cover (where you gain access to change the bulbs)?

pickersgill1

Hi I removed the headlight assembley, ran a new earth wire & all worked well for a few week, now back to same fault.

It would be useful if someone has any images of how they connect the earth wire to bulb holder........ :cry:

Edited by pickersgill1

OK, I'll be happy to post photos when I take it apart, but it may be a couple weeks before I get to it. Got a @%$#@*&! stupid shed to build first.

• 4 weeks later...

OK guys, I'm back on this problem.

I have almost everything apart, and with my ohmmeter, I believe I have isolated the ground discontinuity down to what appears to be the connections at a metal clip within the headlamp assembly. This clip appears to both hold the top bulb in place and also connect ground to that bulb. I get continuity from brown wire of the exterior 4 contact connector to "incoming" terminal on the brass colored clip, but the clip and the second terminal do not seem to be connected.

OK, just replaced the bad terminal, and as a precaution, connected the two ground wires together. Tested it and all appears to be working as it should.

Since I have it apart, is there any maintenance needed for my beloved adjustable windshield motor/gearbox, etc?

I'll also be reinstalling the oil cooler fan (RT-P), connecting it to a manual switch.

I just had this happen to my RT after a hard bump. I remembered seeing this post and went back and re-read it. On exploration I discovered 2 leads with slide on crimp connectors hanging UNCONNECTED. I have no idea what they are for? They were touching each other and also touching the support rod that goes up toward the headlight assy. (I know I am not describing this very well)

I separated the leads and moved them away from the steel rod and everything worked fine. I tried to recreate the problem by shorting the leads and touching them to the rod but could not duplicate the problem. Now I worry about when it will happen again.

Any ideas what these two leads may be for?? :S

Well, let me see if I can help. Yours is a '99, and mine is a 2003, and I know that at least the shape of the headlamp assemblies are

quite different.

What was the original symptom(s) after the hard bump?

Were the wires that appeared to have come off for you brown in color? The ground wires on mine were brown in color.

Were they both female connectors? For me, one of the two connectors, which connected to a springy metal connection point (which also provides ground to the high beam) basicaly came disconnected.

So, are you saying the two connectors are not connected to anything now, but it works? I'm confused by your description.

Well, let me see if I can help. Yours is a '99, and mine is a 2003, and I know that at least the shape of the headlamp assemblies are

quite different.

What was the original symptom(s) after the hard bump?

Were the wires that appeared to have come off for you brown in color? The ground wires on mine were brown in color.

Were they both female connectors? For me, one of the two connectors, which connected to a springy metal connection point (which also provides ground to the high beam) basicaly came disconnected.

So, are you saying the two connectors are not connected to anything now, but it works? I'm confused by your description.

After the bump, the headlight did not work and the high beam (Blue light) was on constantly no matter where the hi/lo switch was positioned. The little parking light worked all the time.

The wires are pretty close to the harness and I can't see a color. Both were female slide on connectors, one wider than the other.

Yes, both are hanging free, not connected to anything and not touching anything and the headlight functions properly now.

I am going to try to get a voltage measurement on the wires and see what may be there. I thought maybe they were for some accessory that I do not have (like on an RTP.)

Well, the symptom of the high beam indicator staying on sure sounds like an open ground, but the rest doesn't make sense to my limited knowledge.

Perhaps someone else can understand and inform....

The original bump was a pot hole that really banged things around. I have not been able to duplicate the bump (and do not want to), but have tapped all over the area fairly briskly and cannot make the light fail.

Any idea ANYONE what those 2 wires may be? :S

Edited by boatzo

I'm not sure about a '99, but later years had a unused connection for a second horn about there.

I tried to get a picture, but I cannot get the lens in a position to make it work. It appears that they have always been there and don't seem to be causing any problem.

In any case, thanks for all the input. :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

This is a follow up to my headlamp problem. The problem came up again and this time I removed the plug from the headlamp. The 99 RT has one bulb with a 3 prong plug. It DOES NOT have the ground connection to the metal case as evidentially the 1150 does.

The plastic plug was melted where the ground wire was connected. I had been riding for some time with high beam to be seen better. Guess that was too much current for the small wires and it overheated the plug.

Good news is the plug with 14ga. pigtail wires is available at NAPA. Got one this AM for $5.00 and installed it. The plug itself is much more robust and the wires are heavier. Unfortunately, the wires in the harness are still only 16 or 18 ga. but at least everything is heavier at the connector. I have reverted to riding with low beam as well. :thumbsup:

This is a follow up to my headlamp problem. The problem came up again and this time I removed the plug from the headlamp. The 99 RT has one bulb with a 3 prong plug. It DOES NOT have the ground connection to the metal case as evidentially the 1150 does.

The plastic plug was melted where the ground wire was connected. I had been riding for some time with high beam to be seen better. Guess that was too much current for the small wires and it overheated the plug.

Good news is the plug with 14ga. pigtail wires is available at NAPA. Got one this AM for $5.00 and installed it. The plug itself is much more robust and the wires are heavier. Unfortunately, the wires in the harness are still only 16 or 18 ga. but at least everything is heavier at the connector. I have reverted to riding with low beam as well. :thumbsup:

Have a look at the relay kits from Eastern Beaver. Get brighter lights and lass chance of harness damage.

Andy

Bill......were you running a stock rated bulb, or a high wattage bulb?

Good question Keith. Answer,

I do not know. I have never changed the bulb. I can say that low beam isn't very bright so I am going to assume that it is stock. :S

I feel that in any case, the harness wires are way too light a gauge and Andy, I have considered the relay, just haven't gotten around to it.(yet)

Thanks all, :thumbsup:

Oh I agree, beyond a shadow of a doubt the stock AWG is not what it should be. I know my bike burned up the wiring harness for the lights at some point when it was still under warranty and still with the original owner. It was one of the things he mentioned when I went to look at it. If I remember dorrectly it was while riding back from the west coast coming through the desert, but still. It should never happen.

I had a similar issue on my GSXR1100 once, but I was running 100W bulbs so I can only blame myself. It melted a connector back under the fairing and my lights went out at ~11pm on a back road :eek:

I hear ya about the relay.....I have PLANS for a lot of things. I'm just not much for scheduling time to make it happen :grin:

• 7 years later...

Andy

I'm sure Andy is correct about the ground however my suggestion would be to consider upgrading to HID (tho you may still have to establish a ground if you "plug & play" the HID(s)).

Well after having installed HID Fog & Lowbeam lights I think my 03 RT has suffered a Hi/Low beam ground fault.

Funny thing is that the Fogs aren't effected.

Any tips on how best to approach this issue?

Images anyone???

Andy

Well after having installed HID Fog & Lowbeam lights I think my 03 RT has suffered a Hi/Low beam ground fault.

Funny thing is that the Fogs aren't effected.

Any tips on how best to approach this issue?

Images anyone???

Morning Eric

We need more info about your problem to specifically guide you but the general approach on a suspected grounding issue is to do a ground side voltage drop test.

As far as symptoms, last Monday I notched that when I started it up that both headlights were out but not the fogs.

I also run Motolights so thought as long as I get home before dark I would be Ok.

Throughout the ride I had many opertunitys to observe the lights via reflections from vehicles in front while stoped at intersections.

At one point I had Hi beam but not low and at another point I had both.

Never lost the fog's.

I'm fairly convinced that my issue is a faulty ground in the headlight assembly so I'm looking for how best to tackle it.

From what I'm gathering, it's likely best to remove the assembly so it can be worked on on top of a work bench.

If there's an on the bike solution I'll try that first but it's hard enough replacing a bulb so I'm not too hopeful.

Found some good info here,

here, & here.

Apparently this ground issue was most prevalent on 04 builds, but with 140k miles on my 03 it looks like its hit me :(

For what it's worth, I converted the fogs & low beam to HID at about 105k & installed a hi beam modulator within the first few months/miles of its life (purchased new).