Los Angeles
Yes, the Absolute model.

'11 R1200RT (I'm back)
'06 R1200RT (crashed)
'02 R1150RT (gone)
'01 K1200RS (gone)
'00 R1200C (gone)
'99 R1100RT (gone)

Science replaces private prejudice with publicly verifiable evidence–Richard Dawkins
#626170 - 08/12/10 05:30 PM Re: Shark Evoline 2 [Re: NA-Chuck]  
Twisties Offline
Boots
Twisties  Offline
Boots

Brookings, OR
I just got a new lid. I have always worn modular, so looked at the Shark. I think the ones I saw were all the Evoline, as opposed to Evoline 2. But apparently there is at least one similarity:

The Evoline is one of the heaviest helmets on the market. Per Web bike world, the Evo 2 weighs even more.

The Evo rated 4 Stars on Sharp, with a 70% rate of chin bar success in impacts. 4 stars is good, 70% not so much. I haven't seen the Evo2 (and not yet rated on Sharp), but if the chin bar mechanism is the same, I would say that you could apply that 70% across the board. You might try to ask Shark if they upgraded the chin bar mechanism on the Evo2.

I found the Evo chin bar mechanism to be very clunky, and unwieldy. Again, I don't know if they changed it. That and the weight were the primary reasons I rejected the Evo helmet, despite the fact that I really liked the fit (especially the chin space).

Overall though, I really like Shark, and their helmets rate great in Sharp and on Web Bike World. Also, they and AGV are the only two manufacturers that the helmets are the same in the EU and the USA, so you can use the Sharp ratings confidently.

Now, on another point: Get rid of those speakers and get some noise isolating earphones, really.

Jan

Sand Beige 2007 R1200RT "Flyer"

Blind Man Images on Facebook
#626192 - 08/12/10 06:44 PM Re: Shark Evoline 2 [Re: Twisties]  
LeftCoastMan Offline
LeftCoastMan  Offline

Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Twisties
I just got a new lid. I have always worn modular, so looked at the Shark. I think the ones I saw were all the Evoline, as opposed to Evoline 2. But apparently there is at least one similarity:

The Evoline is one of the heaviest helmets on the market. Per Web bike world, the Evo 2 weighs even more.

It doesn't bother me at all. It's not like the Shark weighs 20 lbs, and all other helmets weigh 4. It's a small difference, and I am skeptical that can matter. And yes, I've ridden long distances with my Shark, and notice nothing. Maybe I just have a thick neck. smile

The Evo rated 4 Stars on Sharp, with a 70% rate of chin bar success in impacts. 4 stars is good, 70% not so much. I haven't seen the Evo2 (and not yet rated on Sharp), but if the chin bar mechanism is the same, I would say that you could apply that 70% across the board. You might try to ask Shark if they upgraded the chin bar mechanism on the Evo2.

I think the lock has been improved. There is an audible click when it's in place. But then I checked around at other modular helmets; for example, the Shoei Multitech had a 3 star rating (side impacts looked really bad), but an 83% on the chin bar.

I found the Evo chin bar mechanism to be very clunky, and unwieldy. Again, I don't know if they changed it. That and the weight were the primary reasons I rejected the Evo helmet, despite the fact that I really liked the fit (especially the chin space).

Well, I'm going to have to beg to differ. That's why helmets are a personal choice, and it's really hard to make broad generalizations. Lifting up the chin bar is a piece of cake. It does flip all the way to the back of the helmet, which takes a bit of time. Putting it back down is a breeze, but you have to lock in the chin bar. It sometimes takes a couple of tries to get it locked. I don't like that, but I'm used to it.

Overall though, I really like Shark, and their helmets rate great in Sharp and on Web Bike World. Also, they and AGV are the only two manufacturers that the helmets are the same in the EU and the USA, so you can use the Sharp ratings confidently.

I agree.

Now, on another point: Get rid of those speakers and get some noise isolating earphones, really.

I completely agree. Seriously, I don't understand why people use speakers. They don't block out the rather loud ambient noise AND you have to play the music louder to overcome the noise. You're just going to go deaf, if you ride a lot. Well designed earphones (even without active noise isolation) prevent deafness. PERIOD. They block out ambient noises, so you can play the music at a lower level, reducing harm to your ears by a lot. But bad decisions happen throughout the biking community.

'11 R1200RT (I'm back)
'06 R1200RT (crashed)
'02 R1150RT (gone)
'01 K1200RS (gone)
'00 R1200C (gone)
'99 R1100RT (gone)

Science replaces private prejudice with publicly verifiable evidence–Richard Dawkins
#626718 - 08/14/10 05:14 PM Re: Shark Evoline 2 [Re: Armando]  
NA-Chuck Offline
NA-Chuck  Offline

Des Moines Washington
OK, So I hear ya... though not at good as I once did. I tend to wear ear plugs on the freeway and longer trips... That said, help a brother out, how do I connect my autocom of ear buds? What are the best type?

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck

2005 R 1200RT
2003 GS Adventure. Sold
#626766 - 08/14/10 07:30 PM Re: Shark Evoline 2 [Re: NA-Chuck]  
LeftCoastMan Offline
LeftCoastMan  Offline

Los Angeles
I rejected some of the proprietary systems mainly because they used speakers vs. in-ear sets. However, I just looked at the new Autocom website, and they list this set. It's inexpensive, and allows you your choice of in ear headsets. Almost makes me reconsider Autocom, but then again I just plug directly into my Garmin 550. And that's all I need, since I refuse to talk on the phone while riding and I ride to get away from people calling me on the phone. laugh

'11 R1200RT (I'm back)
'06 R1200RT (crashed)
'02 R1150RT (gone)
'01 K1200RS (gone)
'00 R1200C (gone)
'99 R1100RT (gone)

#626786 - 08/14/10 08:55 PM Re: Shark Evoline 2 [Re: NA-Chuck]  
marcopolo Offline
marcopolo  Offline

Alexandria, VA/Ottawa, Canada
Originally Posted By: NA-Chuck
OK, So I hear ya... though not at good as I once did. I tend to wear ear plugs on the freeway and longer trips... That said, help a brother out, how do I connect my autocom of ear buds? What are the best type?

Thanks,

Chuck

Aside from the newer headset loom mentioned in the post above, Autocom also supplied a cable for older units that had a small box into which you can plug in-ear speakers. many of us here use in-ear speakers made by Arizona Al of this Board. They work quite well.

Mark
2015 R 1200 GS Adventure
#627697 - 08/17/10 02:56 AM Re: Shark Evoline 2 [Re: NA-Chuck]  
Fubar Offline
Fubar  Offline

Sarasota, FL
Originally Posted By: NA-Chuck
Looking at a new lid. Best buy?
Thanks,Chuck

Try them all until you find one that fits well. I must have tried on nearly 50 before finding one(!) that fit my apparently oddly-shaped melon. Hopefully you can find an inexpensive one, unlike me. cry
If you want an unbiased comparison for various aspects, especially safety, try http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/. Kind of a Consumer Reports-style ratings system for helmets.

Last edited by Fubar; 08/17/10 03:04 AM.

Silver '09 R1200RT (the Voot cruiser)
Go BLUE!
bibere artis cervisia

Mark is currently on the road to Castle Anthrax. Please leave your message after the beep.
#627705 - 08/17/10 03:15 AM Re: Shark Evoline 2 [Re: LeftCoastMan]  
Fubar Offline
Fubar  Offline

Sarasota, FL
Originally Posted By: orangemarlin
Now, on another point: Get rid of those speakers and get some noise isolating earphones.
I completely agree. Seriously, I don't understand why people use speakers. They block out ambient noises, so you can play the music at a lower level, reducing harm to your ears by a lot. But bad decisions happen throughout the biking community.

In some states, it's illegal to ride or drive with both ears plugged/covered. You have to be able to hear those ambient noises like sirens, horns and squealing tires to safely operate a vehicle. Thus, I use speakers. The sound quality is less than optimal with all the wind, road an other noises. Not my first choice but a safe and legal one.

Silver '09 R1200RT (the Voot cruiser)
Go BLUE!
bibere artis cervisia

Mark is currently on the road to Castle Anthrax. Please leave your message after the beep.
Page 2 of 2 1 2