Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
#657513 - 11/27/10 07:58 PM Re: New Dealer Advice [Re: BMWJustin]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Afternoon Justin

While I have my doubts this posting is legitimate I will assume it is until proven different.

You will get lots of good suggestions from the fine people on this BB. A lot of the suggestions will come from their personal experiences.

My first suggestion would be for you and your partner to read as many current and past postings on this site as well as the BMWMOA site. Lots of past problems with dealer handling of people and their motorcycle problems. Use this info in making your business plan of customer handling and professional ethics.
It seems like a combination of lack of dealer knowledge on the motorcycle service problem and attitude of the repair shop personal about customer concerns is at the root of most issues. Remember some of the customers that come in through your door actually know more about their motorcycle than your service manager or service personal do. A lot of BMW riders are very internet savvy and research their issues before visiting the repair shop.

I would suggest you make it mandatory that your service manager(s) and service personal read the daily postings on this and a couple of other BMW bulletin boards . Even better yet have a few of them participate in the actual threads. Believe it or not the basic problem solving and knowledge of current and past BMW problems seems much better and more current than any of the BMW repair shops I have talked to.

Next suggestion is to randomly pick 5 customers that use your repair facility each day and do a one on one phone call follow up. On the same note do the same follow up call to EVERY customer that leaves the shop unhappy or even with the look of displeasure. I know of a dealer service manager that does just this and I havenít EVER head a bad word or badmouthing of that repair facility. If the customer has any concerns about the repair done he gets a call later that day or next day after time for both sides to reflect on the issue. It is usually resolved to the customerís satisfaction. At least the customer comes away with the idea that the dealer service manager actually give a $hi*.

As an owner or manager get involved PERSIONALLY with as many customers that enter your store as possible. Even if it is to say good day and thanks for coming into the store.

Have someone of owner or general management capacity at the store AT ALL TIMES.

Last and most important suggestion: Never lie to a customer, if you donít know the answer tell them so but say if they want you will find the answer and get back with them. If you donít want to or canít tell them the truth then tell them that up front, donít lie and make something up.
Tell ALL your employees that you will fire anyone that purposely lies to a customer, then follow up on that if it happens.

Itís all about trust, if a customer doesnít trust your shop not only wonít they be back but neither will their friends or relatives.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#657517 - 11/27/10 08:23 PM Re: New Dealer Advice [Re: cali_beemer]  
BMWJustin Offline
Newer Member
BMWJustin  Offline
Newer Member

Asheville, NC
Cali Beemer: You are spot on in saying every customer should be treated the same way every time no matter what. We are spending a lot of time to ensure we are employing the best people on our team to ensure the customer is getting the same experience every time they walk in. I understand the market today and its so competitive in the motorcycle industry so we must stay on top of specials and deals for customers and stand by what we say. I think an important thing I am hearing is that we need to really focus on sticking to our quotes in service and making them very competitive for the customer. Thanks for the ideas and please keep them coming. You can learn a lot by listening!

Hutch: Thanks for the comments and I can assure you this is from the heart. We are honestly and truly building a shop for the customer and I want to hear what BMW customers wants and needs are in todays market. From the first post, respect is one of the key words I am hearing, respect all customers each and everytime they walk in the door. I think that just comes back to being professional. Keeping commitments in service also seems very important to the forum members. I just read one of the comments comparing a BMW motorcycle service to a Auto service and I think we should really try and get the Quotes right and on the numbers, no " in the ballpark". And I appreciate the thought and idea of me joining, I would love to! Thanks again, great comments.

bmwsit: I really appreciate the comment and it just hits home again how much focus we are putting on service. I have experienced both good and bad service experiences and it boils down to professionalism, accurate quote, on time, clean, communication. I think we continue to train those and we will be strong in that area.

Terry: Thanks for the kind words. we are very excited about the shop and the area is so wonderful! Again service is something we are focused on. Communication with the techs and the service dept. to the customer. To be honest that is a great thing to do, not always are parts returned to the customer that are changed and yes as long as its not warranty that is a great idea- very good. As we all know warranty is very important and we will look to work on every bike no matter where it came from.

#657520 - 11/27/10 08:41 PM Re: New Dealer Advice [Re: BMWJustin]  
BMWJustin Offline
Newer Member
BMWJustin  Offline
Newer Member

Asheville, NC
dirtrider: This "While I have my doubts this posting is legitimate I will assume it is until proven different." is uncalled for. We have worked long and hard for over 1 year to get our LOI and for you to make this comment is unfair. I have gotten on these forums now because I honestly want to hear what everyone has to say in the world of BMW. We are so excited about the dealership and the adventure ahead of us. From talking to employees to picking the flooring, to getting the building everything has really been a dream come true. I have worked long and hard to get to this point in my life and the best way to succeed is to listen, just like you said--some of the customers are going to know more than we do--so here I am taking your advice and listening. Jorge, A friend of mine has always said its not always how you fix the bike, its how you fix the customer is what is truly important. We have spoken about allowing employees on the forums to help/tech and its something we are still thinking about. That would be great to get them involved once a week or so on the forums-- very good idea. Follow up is very important and you are exactly right, follow up with all services, all sales, all customers you can--I have been on the receiving end to follow up calls and it instills a real since of caring to take the time, so many dealers don't these days. Myself and my partner have made sure and positioned our offices in the front, we will be the face of the dealership, we will be there everyday--other than my family this is my life, my passion, my dream and we are so excited! Thanks for you comments and if you are still doubting: www.bmwmotorcyclesofasheville.com and wwwhusqvarnaofasheville.com

#657522 - 11/27/10 09:17 PM Re: New Dealer Advice [Re: BMWJustin]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted By: EurosportAsheville
dirtrider: ___ I have gotten on these forums now because I honestly want to hear what everyone has to say in the world of BMW.

Evening Justin

Really!

You asked for our (including my) input so it is called for. To make that comment IS/WAS FAIR as that is/was my first reaction to your post here. Just because it isnít what you want to hear you get offensive. Go ahead say more and piss me off real good. That will be a real good way to start your business. Donít ask for input if you arenít interested in both the good and the bad. Iím sorry now I even took the time to type a responce.

Iím still not sure if this thread is an honest and real inquiry asking for our input or if you are trying to use this as a backdoor way of advertising your business on this BMW web site? From your comment about it being unfair I am kind of leaning towards the later now.

You are starting out your new business by arguing with one of your future potential customers. Instead of asking ME why I feel that way you try to shame me and belittle my statement. Well it wonít work on me and my guess is it wonít work on most others either.

SHOW me you are sincere donít try to tell me you are.

If you are on the up and up it will be proven over time not though some words on the Internet.

Remember what you say or write here will be floating around the world wide web for just about ďeverĒ so 2 years from now someone will do a search and find this thread.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#657534 - 11/27/10 10:08 PM Re: New Dealer Advice [Re: dirtrider]  
BMWJustin Offline
Newer Member
BMWJustin  Offline
Newer Member

Asheville, NC
dirtrider: I am sorry we got off on the wrong foot and I apologize. I am honestly here to hear what the BMW motorcycle community has to say, what they are looking for in a dealer. I want to create a shop/environment that is great for everyone and I believe I can do that best by listening to what real customers have to say. Again I apologize. There have been some great points given to me on this forum already and I fully intend on keeping up with this thread and really listen to all the input. Sorry if I have seemed offensive, I am not here to advertise my shop but to get input from customers like yourself how we can make this a respectable dealership for years to come.

#657544 - 11/27/10 10:40 PM Re: New Dealer Advice [Re: dirtrider]  
JayW Offline
JayW  Offline

Western NC
Originally Posted By: dirtrider
You asked for our (including my) input so it is called for. To make that comment IS/WAS FAIR as that is/was my first reaction to your post here. Just because it isnít what you want to hear you get offensive. Go ahead say more and piss me off real good. That will be a real good way to start your business. Donít ask for input if you arenít interested in both the good and the bad. Iím sorry now I even took the time to type a responce.

Lighten up Dirtrider. You are the one who questioned Justin's motives, started the "argument", and are now continuing it. The OP was looking for constructive comments and suggestions about opening and running his business, and your opening statement had nothing to do with either.

Jay

#657547 - 11/27/10 10:46 PM Re: New Dealer Advice [Re: BMWJustin]  
kmac Offline
kmac  Offline

South Riverside County Ca.
Afternoon Euro,
Time is valuable commodity. Both for you and for your customer. It is very hard to be productive and manage your time in a profitable way, yet still make time to make a customer feel welcome and taken care of. Unfortunately it is a neccesity. Managing you and your employees time so that the shop can make money is critical, BUT taking the time to jabber with your customers is about the same importance for return customers, which is where money is made IMHO.

There are a few ways to make money. One popular way is Low profit high quantity, by this I mean a dealer that sell 1000 cars a month for 1k profit each make 1 million. Or there is the shop that 100 cars and tries to make 10k per car for the 1mil.

Both have drawbacks, one is such bad service i dont want to go back because i feel like cattle. The other i like the service, but my wallet hurts so bad i just cant justify it.
So for me as i age, and tend to have a few more dollars than when i was 20ish, i am willing to spend a "little" more for good service, BUT it still has to be a balance i can justify.

I drive past 2 BMW motorrad dealers to get to the one i like. I use because the parts and service prices are the same, but the sales staff, managers, and service counter guys all treat me with respect and seem to go out of their way to talk to me for a few minutes, REMEBER my name, and treat me like a buddy while still giving me the service and price i require. It is a fine line for you.

I will say to make sure your parts AND service guys need to always remeber that, while this time i may be buying a part to fix it myself, next time i may need to use your mechanics so if you are helpful when i have a question on a repair im makeing myself, your help will make me wanna use you when the repair is out of my ability.

"your shakin my hand while your pissin on my leg" mike ness, social D
'96 BMW r1100rt, '07 Yamaha WR250F, '65 Yamaha 305 Ym1,
'08 KTM530excr {just sold}
#657549 - 11/27/10 10:50 PM Re: New Dealer Advice [Re: terryofperry]  
tonyla Offline
tonyla  Offline

Salem CT
Hi Justin, Welcome. Please think of me as an open wallet. Said wallet ready to be purged of any and all cash. I am a BMW customer. I want bad service, high prices. I want you to Overpromise and under produce. I want dirty restrooms. I want a sign near a uncleaned coffed pot "NOTIN IS FREE 5.75 a CUP".

Now lets break it down: I walk in ready to buy a new bike but I have a trade. I look very young and the bike I drove to the shop
is old. Now you know I have 97% chance of the loan being rejected, so I want you to completley ignore me, we all know that took you like 15 minutes to fill out the online paperwork for the bank and that too was rejected. Oh wait here comes a guy
Head to toe BMW gear, nice very nice. Hurry over to the bikes and flip the tags so he sees "the other retail".

So I am the second guy you sell me the bike beacuse I have cash and after just 100 miles I find the NAV IV wasn't hooked up correctly. Sent me over to Pete in service.

Hi Pete

Hi JOe shmo

Say Pete the Nav IV doesn't work

Oh it did when we worked on it

Well Pete I'm sorry but it doesn't work and is was 900.00

Yes I know they are expensive leave the bike over there and we'll look at it.

Well Pete I rode it here in hopes of someone looking at it now, Thats why I was at your door just before you opened today.

No I'm am sorry Joe Shmo we are just booked solid, Turns out in this terrible economy we are the only bike shop in the world that has sold so many bikes our service shop is overwelmed. e wait a couple weeks because Joe will call back if he really wants the bike. Once he calls tell him to come and get the bike its all set, don't even move it from the spot Joe left it at. That way when Joe comes he will know he is getting screwed and noting he can do about it. Its very important to train the cunsumer early on in the relationship.

I can't wait to see your shop!

That's it Justin simple as pie

-----------
2005 1150RT-Gone
Yamaha TW200-Gone
2009 K1200 LT-Gone
1200GS
#657552 - 11/27/10 10:56 PM Re: New Dealer Advice [Re: tonyla]  
Richard_D Offline
Richard_D  Offline

Port Orange Fl.
He was asking for input on how to run his business , NOT your opinion if he was a liar, dirt rider......

2007 KTM 450 EXC 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX
#657556 - 11/27/10 11:14 PM Re: New Dealer Advice [Re: Richard_D]  
BMWJustin Offline
Newer Member
BMWJustin  Offline
Newer Member

Asheville, NC
kmac: thanks for the input. It seems to come back to just being professional in all departments with all customers. Something as simple as taking the time to remember and call the customer by name. It seems the small things really count, treating a customer as a part of something bigger-motorcycle family. BMW riders seem to be as loyal and passionate as any brand I have ever seen.

tonyla: as simple as pie smile

DR: thanks for the PM

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14