Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
#710959 - 07/12/11 01:03 AM Re: Is this forum dying? [Re: Hermes]  
Whip Offline
Whip  Offline

San Antonio, TX
Originally Posted By: Hermes
I think board participation is just fine, notwithstanding seasonal fluctuations.
I can tell you this, in the unlikely event that this DB closes up some day, a big part of my life, - and I suspect others feel the same way -, will be lost.
The collective community of this DB is not going to let that happen, am I right?

wink

I am their leader, which way did they go?
#710960 - 07/12/11 01:07 AM Re: Is this forum dying? [Re: upflying]  
beemerboy Offline
RallyMaster UnXI, Salida, CO
beemerboy  Offline
RallyMaster UnXI, Salida, CO

Colorado Springs, CO
Originally Posted By: upflying
I never twitted or face booked, am I missing something?

Congratulations, you're in a select group that includes me (and no one else). wave

Regards,
Randy
'02 R1150RT
'05 Ducati ST3
'06 K1200S
#710964 - 07/12/11 01:19 AM Re: Is this forum dying? [Re: Green RT]  
bakerzdosen Offline
Dislocated Member
bakerzdosen  Offline

Dislocated Member

Provo, UT
Look: Here's my slightly biased 2:

The board isn't going anywhere.

You'll notice that we've tried to keep things motorcycle focused over the years. That means that we've tried to keep things politics free (or more recently push anything that would create strife over to more appropriate forums such as Facebook or Twitter.) Things like that don't belong here. Yeah, not every sentence on this board needs to be about motorcycling, but it should have a motorcycle focus - at least on some level.

We have a sense of community here, and that works to all of our benefit. I'm not sure that you can replicate that on FB or Google+ or whatever. I know for sure that I wouldn't be friends with a lot of you (on FB or otherwise) without this board. It has brought a lot of people from very disparate lives and situations together - and that's a good thing.

If I personally was planning on this site dying, I wouldn't have gone through the hassle of upgrading to a new server recently.

However, I'm OK if this site eventually dies. But it won't die until something better fulfills its purpose. Will that be Google+ with its circles? I doubt it, but it's possible. I'm usually VERY opposed to change, but change does nonetheless happen.

Look, if you go to the "who is online" page, you'll see that traffic to this site is holding steady - meaning, we're not growing too much nor are we shrinking. So maybe we're at the apex or peak of our lifecycle. I dunno.

Regardless, I'm not a complete technical moron, but I don't profess to know everything. But I still don't foresee anything taking the place of bmwst.com. At least not yet.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that if Les was trying to make money from the site, things would be very different...

Last edited by bakerzdosen; 07/12/11 01:21 AM.

'05 R1200ST
'03 F650csa (departed because of the ST)
#710965 - 07/12/11 01:23 AM Re: Is this forum dying? [Re: bakerzdosen]  
Killer Offline
Killer  Offline

Wayne County, Utah, USA
Originally Posted By: bakerzdosen
Will that be Google+ with its circles? I doubt it, but it's possible.
I just created a BMWST G+ Circle, but circles appear to be personal not universal at this point so that wouldn't be a replacement.

I hope this site doesn't die, it attracts mostly people I like and have a lot in common with.

#710971 - 07/12/11 01:46 AM Re: Is this forum dying? [Re: bakerzdosen]  
ghaverkamp Offline
ghaverkamp  Offline

Benicia, CA USA
Originally Posted By: bakerzdosen
We have a sense of community here, and that works to all of our benefit. I'm not sure that you can replicate that on FB or Google+ or whatever. I know for sure that I wouldn't be friends with a lot of you (on FB or otherwise) without this board. It has brought a lot of people from very disparate lives and situations together - and that's a good thing.

Those are sites that try to cater to everyone and everything. It's hard to imagine this site growing on Facebook, and I have yet to see what Google+ offers, other than some simplification of things while adding yet another place to look. (Man, do we need FriendFeed more than ever.) It's hard to imagine how this site would've grown past Cary's original site under Facebook. After all, once the 1150 came out, someone would've just created a new FB group. Or, people who were fed up with talk of maintaining R1100RTs might have decided to set up their own groups to discuss riding them. Or showing off accessories. It's incredibly easy to splinter on Facebook or other commodity forum sites.

The other thing that I think has been done so well here is the failure to try to specialize each and every forum. I'm still not convinced that we needed a trailering forum, but outside of the seasonal Un forums, it's nice and simple to find one's way around here. Things aren't lost in an array of geographically-divided or model-specific forums. (Though I will have to say that my failure to peruse the non-R/K forum meant that I missed the entire store of Sharon's R26 restoration. All of a sudden, the photos showed up on Facebook, and I figured, "Wow, bought an old bike.")

A lot of things have conspired here that serve to help this place long outlive its original purpose, and it's done that pretty well. I think the fact that there are a number of successful target social networks out there is indicative of the fact that no one site can be everything to everybody. There's no reason to believe this place has to die simply because there are other ways to communicate. (Plus, each upgrade seems to bring more integration between this place and the rest of the world.)

Greg
FJR1300
Burgman 650

I hate emoticons, and emoticons hate me.
#710998 - 07/12/11 03:27 AM Re: Is this forum dying? [Re: Jake]  
David13 Offline
David13  Offline

Utah
Jake has a good graph there, and it tells an important story. But there are no time limits on the phases, or stages.
I think the board is in the maturity stage, and it may stay there for 30 year.
dc

#711057 - 07/12/11 12:43 PM Re: Is this forum dying? [Re: bakerzdosen]  
John Ranalletta Offline
John Ranalletta  Offline

Quote:
You'll notice that we've tried to keep things motorcycle focused over the years. That means that we've tried to keep things politics free (or more recently push anything that would create strife over to more appropriate forums such as Facebook or Twitter.) Things like that don't belong here. Yeah, not every sentence on this board needs to be about motorcycling, but it should have a motorcycle focus - at least on some level.
Well stated.

However, unless new blood comes in sufficient numbers, the existing members' waning interest in motorcyles and riding means it the board will become a social site with a motorcycle bias that can be accomplished on FB or a Yahoo forum just as easily.

I can think of at least 20 early BMWST'rs who were rabid riders 10 years ago who still have a bike in the garage they ride occasionally. Hell, they probably forgot how to adjust the valves because their mileage doesn't require valve adjustment and they're into changing oil every 5k miles or three years.

More riders are even taking cages and trailers to UNs.

Besides, who needs to read another oil thread?

Last edited by JohnRan; 07/12/11 12:45 PM.

I was in Switzerland recently and I didn't see one person with a knife!
#711087 - 07/12/11 02:37 PM Re: Is this forum dying? [Re: John Ranalletta]  
Agent_Orange Offline
Agent_Orange  Offline

Montverde, Fla. right next to ...
"Besides, who needs to read another oil thread?"

Surely you jest?

wink

MSF RiderCoach
FRTP RiderCoach
BMW RA
BMW MOA
Life member 101 Abn Assn.
#711089 - 07/12/11 02:47 PM Re: Is this forum dying? [Re: Jake]  
VinnyR11 Offline
VinnyR11  Offline

Long Island, NY
Originally Posted By: Jake
.... Pick your favorite biz theory, but it usually goes like this:

Barring substantial reinvention, we will cease to be not too far after the decline stage. The fact that the question was asked is ample evidence that we are well into our maturity. The hair under our helmets is most decidedly gray......

By definition, wouldn't all BMW motorcycle forums START at the maturity stage? smile

Vinny G.
'09 R1200RT
'96 R11RT bought "before they were here" (now gone)

"Nobody sees a flower. We haven't the time, and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time."
Georgia O'Keeffe
#711092 - 07/12/11 03:15 PM Re: Is this forum dying? [Re: Jake]  
John Ranalletta Offline
John Ranalletta  Offline

Business cycle?

I was in Switzerland recently and I didn't see one person with a knife!
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10