Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#712760 - 07/19/11 10:03 PM Re: New York [Re: Natche]  
Francis Offline
Francis  Offline

New York City
I second the advice against renting a car to drive in NYC. On-street parking is sketchy and parking garage fees are very high. In some sections of town you could pay $ 50.00 for two hours of parking. The train ride up from DC (or Boston if you are traveling from there)is less expensive than the flight and you end up in the center of town.

Also we have discount bus service from Washington and Boston into NYC for about $ 25.00 per person. "BOLT" is one of these carriers. You can do an Internet search for others. These buses are standard Greyhound type buses and (in my experience) are well worth the price. Depending upon the line they drop off on the West Side or in China Town and you take a cab from there to your destination.

We have a great many sight seeing tours here that can show you the various aspect of the city you might want to see. This is also a walking city and I would recommehnd comfortable shoes as part of your packing.

The NYC visitors bureau has an extensive website with activities you might like. Also,the Where Magazine, avbailable in hotels, has an extensive listing of activities as well.

We have an extensive public transportation system to get you to where you want to go at a reasonavle price.

Come and enjoy.

Francis

#712796 - 07/20/11 01:51 AM Re: New York [Re: Francis]  
rinkydink Offline
rinkydink  Offline

Central Arkansas
Thanks again for the replies....Since we will be spending 2-3 days in the DC/Baltimore area in a rental car we will be driving to the NJ hotel, ditching the cage and using public transportation in NY...

My only other question (probably a naive one) is I have heard horror stories about cab fares in NY. Do I negotiate the fare before the trip or just roll the dice and pay what the meter says cry upon arrival?

09 1200RT
09 1200R
The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

#712912 - 07/20/11 01:28 PM Re: New York [Re: rinkydink]  
VinnyR11 Offline
VinnyR11  Offline

Long Island, NY
Cabs are pretty honest within the city and well regulated. Fares are kind of high, metered, and non-negotiable.

For long trips subways are the better route.

Vinny G.
'09 R1200RT
'96 R11RT bought "before they were here" (now gone)

"Nobody sees a flower. We haven't the time, and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time."
Georgia O'Keeffe
#712919 - 07/20/11 02:05 PM Re: New York [Re: rinkydink]  
Art.. Offline
Art..  Offline

NY State / NE PA
My favorite restaurants:

Le Bernardin - hold onto your wallet but the best seafood restaurant in NY.

River Cafe - Yeah it's in Brooklyn but the view is sublime - reserve a window seat and your wife will remember why she married you.

BLT Steak - just a good honest meal near the theater district. Try the tuna tartar and a filet.

Listen to Francis - He knows the city and can steer you in the right direction. He is also a top notch individual. (hey what's up Francis! Let's ride soon. I owe you! )

#712947 - 07/20/11 03:49 PM Re: New York [Re: rinkydink]  
Natche Offline
Natche  Offline

Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally Posted By: rinkydink
Thanks again for the replies....Since we will be spending 2-3 days in the DC/Baltimore area in a rental car we will be driving to the NJ hotel, ditching the cage and using public transportation in NY...

My only other question (probably a naive one) is I have heard horror stories about cab fares in NY. Do I negotiate the fare before the trip or just roll the dice and pay what the meter says cry upon arrival?

If it's not very far - walk. Otherwise take the subway for the second cheapest option. If you use a cab, figure it will cost you about $5/mile with the first mile a bit more. Here is a fare calculator that might help give you an idea how much a cab ride will cost. It's good to know the basic way to where you are going for a number of reasons, the least of which is to make sure you don't circle the block to boost the fare. That happened to me in Florida. the ride to the restaurant cost $20 and took 15 minutes. On the way back it was $7 and took 5 minutes.

Maybe you will get into the Cash Cab and win some money!

Jim
#713098 - 07/21/11 05:02 AM Re: New York [Re: Natche]  
Francis Offline
Francis  Offline

New York City
Cabs are tightly regulated here in the city. The fare is $ 2.50 when the ride starts and you have a meter so you can see how much the fare is running. The driver has to take you to your destination in the most direct route...unless traffic conditions dictate another path is better. If you are not happy with your driver or the condition of the cab you can call 311 and report teh driver and/or the cab. Each cab and each driver has identification posted in the passenger compartment so you can identify each.

#713487 - 07/22/11 07:38 PM Re: New York [Re: rinkydink]  
Joe G Offline
Joe G  Offline

Lost in the ozone, again...
First off, the Best Map to take with you is the AAA Metro New York "Citimap". Huge, but it has every little nook and cranny on it.

John's of 12th Street in Manhattan (302 E. 12th), followed by Veniero's for sfogliatelle. Contrary to popular opinion, good food is Not to be found in Little Italy.

Union Square Cafe for lunch, then Martin's Pretzels from the Union Square greenmarket, followed by beers at the bar at Pete's Tavern. Don't miss the Barnes & Noble at the north end of the park ( grrrrreat a.c.)

Metropolitan Museum of Art on 5th. Make sure you see Charles Dodgeson's photo of his neighbor's litte girl, Alice. Then Bella Donna on 77th east of 2nd ( if it's still there ) for macaroni and gravy.

Mapo Tofu on Lex at 39th and then stroll south into Little India, making a must-stop at Kalustyan's for every spice you thought you already knew. Then back over to the greenmarket on 14th for more Martin's Pretzels.

Forget The Car. NYC has 25% of all mass transit in the U.S. within it, and a three-day Metrocard is marvelous: swipe it and ride it. Cabs take longer than it will you to figure out how to get there. Besides, you'll never get the flavor of Noo Yawk in a cab. Walking is the answer. It's a city, Not a street grid, so get out and experience it.

And in the heat, take the Staten Island Ferry over and back to cool off. Make sure to listen to the announcements because you'll most likely have to get off to travel back to Manhattan.

A stroll up Broadway from Lincoln Center is mandatory. Stop in at Zabar's and think about some cheese and a baguette for the park later on. If Carmen's is still on 89th, eat there, then stroll east across Central Park over to Second Avenue and walk south.

At this time of the year, I'd skip just about anything "touristy" because all you'll do is waste your time standing in line. Yes, the top of the Empire State Building has a terrific view, but it's not worth waiting 3 hours for. Come back in the Fall when the lines are shorter and the air crisper. Same thing for the S of L.

And if you do want some of the most delectable pizza around, you're gonna have to travel, to Coney Island, to Totonno's. Or to Staten Island to DeNino's or Lee's Tavern or by-the-slice-oh-god-is-this-Good Nunzio's: good pizza can be had in Manhattan, but the Best pizza is on Staten Island and a few outposts in Brooklyn. It Is Definitely Worth The Travel, especially if you take the car from Joisey and go up over the Bayonne Bridge.

I also liked Sammy's Noodle House on 6th, around 11th Street or so. Typical Chinese but with quality ingredients. Fun neighborhood to stroll around in, as long as it's not the weekend when the "warriors" show up with their dates.

And if you're anywhere near 86th and Third, Papaya King for hot dogs. Sauerkraut, mustard and hot pepper flakes...God stops by once a week for two and an orange soda, more often if she runs out of Martin's Pretzels.

Last edited by Joe G; 07/22/11 07:48 PM.
#713495 - 07/22/11 08:00 PM Re: New York [Re: Joe G]  
Paul Mihalka Offline
Old Fart
Paul Mihalka  Offline
Old Fart

Sykesville, MD
That was fun reading! We'll check out a few of these places next time we go to Noo Yawk!

Age is a issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter... (Mark Twain)
Many years and 1 million (s)miles.

'05 R1200GS lotsa miles (sold)
'09 Yamaha Majesty - yes, a scooter
#713518 - 07/22/11 09:44 PM Re: New York [Re: rinkydink]  
Joe G Offline
Joe G  Offline

Lost in the ozone, again...
Oh yeah...a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge ( accessed from the City Hall stop ) is also mandatory, in the late afternoon/early evening with the Sun setting behind the "canyons of steel". The promenade over da B-Q-E a little ways away is as good as it gets. With good pizza at the foot of the bridge ( Patsy's ) and plenty of subway lines in the area for a ride back into Manhattan.

And, and, and...on the east end of 57th Street...man, how could I have forgotten this place???...on the east end of 57th street there's a park bench overlooking the East River and the Queensborough Bridge ( "slow down, you move too fast, you've got to make the morning last, just skipping down the cobblestones...." )...That bridge...Go sit and listen to the river rustle by. You've seen that place 100 times before in any Woody Allen movie set in NYC. Make it romantic and bring some Gershwin and his soaring Rhapsody in Blue clarinet.

It might be 58th...I had love on the brain, so I can't be too sure which "end of" it's at.

Last edited by Joe G; 07/22/11 09:46 PM.
#713796 - 07/24/11 04:44 AM Re: New York [Re: Joe G]  
rinkydink Offline
rinkydink  Offline

Central Arkansas
This is why I love this forum. Too much info to digest in one sitting...Thanks all, I'm taking notes, and checking them twice1

09 1200RT
09 1200R
The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3