BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#749979 - 12/29/11 04:18 PM Re: Almost got taken out by a car running from the cops [Re: MarkyP]  
Mister Tee Offline
Mister Tee  Offline

Northern California
I guess what struck me about this particular incident is that it was a) on a virtually deserted road in the dark, and b) the Lexus driver appeared as if he could have been a bad actor. I think in terms of officer safety alone I would have been apprehensive of approaching the Lexus solo if I had been in his shoes, just based on my observation of the driver's behavior. But I don't do this for a living either, so I'm not in a position to render judgement one way or the other.

I know you officers do this a lot and I'm sure that thought process goes through your head on almost every stop. I suppose you don't really know what you're in to until you get there.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. And yes the Tee is on your side.

#750039 - 12/29/11 10:04 PM Re: Almost got taken out by a car running from the cops [Re: jviss]  
Lawman Offline
Lawman  Offline

Joaquin, Texas
Originally Posted By: jviss
Originally Posted By: Lawman
You were lucky. I have no idea why we tolerate that. confused

We don't tolerate it, that I know of.

Of course we do..From a legal standpoint we don't even consider the act of running from police a serious offense as is demonstrated from the "no chase" policies.. If offenders were treated as the attempted murder suspects they are it would save innocent lives and property. I say use deadly force to protect innocent citizens from deadly force...Offenders could choose to go to jail or the morgue..It's their choice..

Billy Hearnsberger
2005 R1200RT
Life is good. Then you die.
#750041 - 12/29/11 10:11 PM Re: Almost got taken out by a car running from the cops [Re: Lawman]  
David13 Offline
David13  Offline

Utah
Lawman, I agree with you 100% on that one. But few others will.
dc

#750046 - 12/29/11 10:32 PM Re: Almost got taken out by a car running from the cops [Re: Lawman]  
jviss Offline
jviss  Offline

Westborough, MA

Of course we do..From a legal standpoint we don't even consider the act of running from police a serious offense as is demonstrated from the "no chase" policies.. If offenders were treated as the attempted murder suspects they are it would save innocent lives and property. I say use deadly force to protect innocent citizens from deadly force...Offenders could choose to go to jail or the morgue..It's their choice..

One must balance the risk of injury to bystanders with the value of apprehending a suspect. By 'not tolerating' that behavior, I was referring to what will happen to someone who does that who gets caught. Implementing a no-chase policy is not equivalent to tolerance.

Putting the public's life in danger to apprehend a suspected car thief is not responsible, or at least, a good trade-off, in my opinion; many legislatures and police policy makers agree.

I don't understand your statement where you say that offenders are all attempted murder suspects.

John in the Metrowest of Massachusetts
2001 R1100RT
- spline failure at 25k miles
- past 45k w/replacement tranny

1982 CB750K "backup bike."
#750062 - 12/30/11 12:07 AM Re: Almost got taken out by a car running from the cops [Re: jviss]  
upflying Offline
upflying  Offline

Reno, NV

One must balance the risk of injury to bystanders with the value of apprehending a suspect. By 'not tolerating' that behavior, I was referring to what will happen to someone who does that who gets caught. Implementing a no-chase policy is not equivalent to tolerance.

Putting the public's life in danger to apprehend a suspected car thief is not responsible, or at least, a good trade-off, in my opinion; many legislatures and police policy makers agree.

I don't understand your statement where you say that offenders are all attempted murder suspects.

Fleeing suspects in high speed pursuits are all attempting to murder you or someone else.

Bob
Reno,NV

2014 HD FXDC
2001 HD FLHPi (former work bike)
2009 HD FLHPi 103" (former work bike)
1972 Honda CT-90 garage queen

Logical politics is the Holy Grail of oxymorons.
#750064 - 12/30/11 12:11 AM Re: Almost got taken out by a car running from the cops [Re: Lawman]  
Danny caddyshack Noonan Offline
Danny caddyshack Noonan  Offline

Near the mine, Utah
Quote:
I say use deadly force to protect innocent citizens from deadly force...Offenders could choose to go to jail or the morgue..It's their choice..

Long ago before all of the new no pursuit policies, I had a guy that was going to run after I stopped him. After a couple words were exchanged, I asked him "can your car go 1450 feet per second?"

Peter

God bless America!
Rule of rocketry #1: Pointy end up...stupid.
Danny, be the ball.
'12 R1200RT Midnight Blue.
99 R1100RT, KLR650 sold
TR6 (sold, wife can now park in the garage)
#750066 - 12/30/11 12:19 AM Re: Almost got taken out by a car running from the cops [Re: Danny caddyshack Noonan]  
David13 Offline
David13  Offline

Utah
Another good one.
You see, a 'deadly weapon' can be anything, when used to try to injure someone. A piece of pipe, which would otherwise be just a conduit for water, if used in a menacing manner, would be a deadly weapon.
Because a good whack from a pipe could split a head open and kill someone. Deadly. Even tho' the pipe only weighs 5 or 10 pounds.
How much does a car weigh?

I guess the other thing that totally fails in logic is to believe that it is the pursuit that puts anyone in danger. It is not. It is the fleeing.
dc

Last edited by David13; 12/30/11 12:24 AM.
#750091 - 12/30/11 02:03 AM Re: Almost got taken out by a car running from the cops [Re: Mister Tee]  
plext Offline
plext  Offline

Boro, NSW, Australia
Very pleased that he didn't get you, I was not so lucky a few years back when a runner got my back wheel from 90 degrees at an intersection.

He was moving too, launched me several hundred metres and got me an ambulance ride. The police said "above 140KMH". I was very lucky in only dislocating a finger, a few cracked ribs and having the best concussion I ever hope to experience. The bike was needless to say not so fortunate.

My little debacle made the paper with the usual tut tutting about high speed chases and the dangers of. My letter to same defending the actions of the officers and supporting the policy of running down these fools was sadly found to be unsuited for publication...

Chase them to the gates of hell I say.

Paul
#750105 - 12/30/11 03:00 AM Re: Almost got taken out by a car running from the cops [Re: jviss]  
Lawman Offline
Lawman  Offline

Joaquin, Texas

He was just a car thief before he started running red lights and stop signs in a 4000 pound vehicle..Now he's a potential killer..

Steal a gun and start randomly shooting into a school classroom filled with kids.. What are you now? a thief????

Billy Hearnsberger
2005 R1200RT
Life is good. Then you die.
#750111 - 12/30/11 03:16 AM Re: Almost got taken out by a car running from the cops [Re: Lawman]  
beemerman2k Offline
Administrator
beemerman2k  Offline
Administrator

Ellington, CT
I'm with you here, Billy. Run or die, your choice. Choosing to run IS choosing to put innocent lives in danger. It's the ultimate expression of childish and cowardly behavior.

Do these people actually expect that they will escape and then "poof", the law will just forget about them? Is that what happens when a runner does manage to evade capture -- assuming the original stop was for a traffic violation?

Oh, and Tee, I am also very glad you managed to avoid disaster. And I agree, good on you for thinking about the LEO thumbsup

Last edited by beemerman2k; 12/30/11 03:17 AM.

beemerman2k
'00 R1100RT Opal Blue Metallic
<11 year haitus from motorcycling cry >
'09 K1300GT U of Michigan Blue, baby! thumbsup
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5