BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#754192 - 01/19/12 01:43 AM Re: Should poor people receive social drivers licenses? [Re: upflying]  
Killer Offline
Killer  Offline

Wayne County, Utah, USA
Quote:
registration was 9 months past due

Could happen to anyone, la, la la, la la la...

#754195 - 01/19/12 01:50 AM Re: Should poor people receive social drivers licenses? [Re: upflying]  
beemerman2k Offline
Administrator
beemerman2k  Offline
Administrator

Ellington, CT
What a piece of work this woman is. If she had no priors, and clearly drove with respect for traffic laws, and yet was somehow caught, one might be able to cut her a break. But under these conditions, no way. And her attitude only confirms the unsuitability of her being behind the wheel. Imagine the barrel of excuses she'd offer were she to hit someone? Amazing.

beemerman2k
'00 R1100RT Opal Blue Metallic
<11 year haitus from motorcycling cry >
'09 K1300GT U of Michigan Blue, baby! thumbsup
#754196 - 01/19/12 01:55 AM Re: Should poor people receive social drivers licenses? [Re: yabadabapal]  
racer7 Offline
racer7  Offline

Wilmington, NC
With the budget issues in "big govt" CA, I suspect there is close to zero chance of getting $ aimed at that sort of thing even if there happened to be enough political support- which I also doubt. Any regulatory type of program that lacks a funded enforcement program is worthless anyway.

#754197 - 01/19/12 02:12 AM Re: Should poor people receive social drivers licenses? [Re: upflying]  
markgoodrich Offline
markgoodrich  Offline

Austin, TX
Could driver's caught with the inability to pay traffic fines receive restricted licenses allowing driving only for subsistence reasons? How could that be regulated?

Aren't similar restrictions put on parolees sometimes, or DUI offenders? Regulation would be impossibly expensive, technically easy.

Driver acted like driving was an entitlement, how does one respond to that?

Your response was correct...from start to finish.

Could such drivers pay for fines through volunteer service?

Why not? People get sentenced to "Community Service" for all sorts of things.

Could driver's with unlicensed and uninsured cars receive government subsidy to pay for registration? Is insurance needed when drivers have no assets to protect?

To your first question, yes, they could, of course. But no, they shouldn't, I think. It's a real problem for many in areas with poor public transport, but I've no solution to offer. Yes, insurance is needed: liability insurance. I don't care about whether they (or anyone) protects their own assets.

Unlicensed and uninsured drivers are many more times likely to be involved in a collision as well as a hit and run collision.

Is this statistically accurate?

Is it fair to safe, law abiding motorists for LEO's to knowingly allow and expose them to drivers with suspended licenses?

No. I've been hit twice by uninsured motorists. I didn't like it. I would have liked it a whole lot less if they also had suspended licenses.

You clearly thought your actions through before citing the woman. The 30-day hold is reasonable from your point of view, and from most people's, despite the draconian effect on the woman's life...she'll almost certainly never see the car again, which may make it even more difficult for her to find work, if, of course, she is interested in doing so. This is a tough situation, and you obviously see both sides of the issue.

2016 R1200RT

#754201 - 01/19/12 02:25 AM Re: Should poor people receive social drivers licenses? [Re: upflying]  
Lawman Offline
Lawman  Offline

Joaquin, Texas
Another good reason irresponsible people should not even get a license...No license...no suspension...

Billy Hearnsberger
2005 R1200RT
Life is good. Then you die.
#754203 - 01/19/12 02:29 AM Re: Should poor people receive social drivers licenses? [Re: upflying]  
Mike Offline
Administrator
Mike  Offline

Administrator

Chicago area, IL, USA
Truly, some people can't get their act together. While you hate to see them engage in self-destructive behavior, particularly when kids are involved, are we to turn a blind eye? You did the right thing.

A couple days ago I came across a single-car accident. The young woman, totally drunk, had crossed over the centerline, went into a ditch, and rolled her car. She was barely able to stand, but found her keys and was ready to (try to) drive away. When I pulled the keys out of the ignition, she lit into me, accusing me of "f-ing up her life" by calling the cops and not letting her drive away.

"Sorry, darlin'. You did that to yourself."

#754207 - 01/19/12 03:52 AM Re: Should poor people receive social drivers licenses? [Re: upflying]  
Medic Mike Offline
Medic Mike  Offline

Raleigh, NC
Bob-
110% on the dot. This is why I am not a cop, I would have tased her just out of annoyance. You have more patience than I. I rally like that 30 day hold idea. If only I could do that with my 3am hammer toe call. Place them on a 30 day NO EMS resriction. Life would be good.

2011 R1200RT Ostra Gray
2006 R1200RT Piedmont Red (totaled)
2004 R1150 RT-P my first love (re-homed)
FDNY-343. I will never forget.
#754211 - 01/19/12 04:23 AM Re: Should poor people receive social drivers licenses? [Re: Medic Mike]  
mbelectric Offline
mbelectric  Offline

SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Seems she missed the question on the DMV test..."driving in the State of California is a priviledge, not a right"...

Thanks for at least "temporarily" taking away that right.

Good on ya Bob.

MB>

74 R90S
98 K1200RS
03 1150RT
04 DRZ400
15 1200RTW

......and a Jeep Rubicon

BMWMOA, ABC.
IBEW 332
#754226 - 01/19/12 08:03 AM Re: Should poor people receive social drivers licenses? [Re: Dave McReynolds]  
Boffin Offline
Our UK Ambassador
Boffin  Offline
Our UK Ambassador

West Devon, UK
Originally Posted By: Dave McReynolds
<snip>

I'm not sure why someone's car isn't towed the first time they are caught driving without a license or with a suspended license. Similar to when I read of someone who gets in a wreck and is reported to have 5 or 6 prior DUI's, and I wonder why they weren't locked up for a good long time after their 2nd DUI, and for years longer after their 3rd DUI.

<snip>

In the UK, if a car is un-insured, or the driver has no licence, or has no MOT (safety test valid 1 year) or has no road-tax, it is impounded. To release the car a fee has to be paid and the relevant missing items sorted out. If not, after 30 days the car is either crushed or sold.

Andy

Andy Long

2004 R1150RT : traded for:
2002 R850R SE
1986 K100RT : sold
2013 Kawasaki W800 : sold
2015 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 EFI

"No man ever got very high by pulling other people down. The intelligent merchant does not knock his competitors. The sensible worker does not knock those who work with him. Don't knock your friends. Don't knock your enemies. Don't knock yourself." Alfred Lord Tennyson
#754242 - 01/19/12 01:37 PM Re: Should poor people receive social drivers licenses? [Re: upflying]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
Inability to pay a fine for one or two tickets? I could see someone going before a judge to make a financial hardship plea that allows a longer payback period.

If traffic citations aren't really about revenue generation, then yes, it ought to be permissible for anyone to work off a traffic ticket through community service. Minimum wage is somewhere around $7.50/hr, so maybe a $150 traffic ticket ought to equate to 20 hours of community service? Maybe we can finally get all the trash picked up from the sides of the highways.

If someone has racked up enough tickets to get their license suspended, then they are a dangerous driver and should not be on the road regardless of financial status.

If someone does not have liability insurance, then they should not be driving.

Originally Posted By: upflying
Did I do the right thing by towing and citing?

She has half a dozen convictions for driving on a suspended license. Driving without a license isn't a hazard in itself, but for her to have been stopped each time, she must have committed some sort of traffic infraction that was witnessed by a LEO.

Only one day before you stopped her for going the wrong way on a one-way street, she had been stopped for running a red light.

I'm not that concerned about her inability to pay the fines. The bigger issue is that her track record pegs her as a dangerous driver who should not be behind the wheel. If you had let her drive away, it would only be a matter of time before she got into an accident and caused major property damage she couldn't pay for, or injured/killed someone.

IMHO you did the right thing.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9