Tim
Conch Town Krewe
2003 K 1200 GT
1996 R 100 RSL
1980 R 100 RT
1972 R 75
1968 R 50
All now gone...

#834737 - 05/29/13 10:51 PM Re: Thinking About Moving to Florida [Re: Huzband]  
lawnchairboy Offline
Snuggie Jesus
lawnchairboy  Offline
Snuggie Jesus

Traffic hell, VA
Indeed.

06 R12RT (for sale) 11 R12GS (for sale) 11 KTM990 ADV

The focus is sharp in the city.
#834740 - 05/29/13 10:58 PM Re: Thinking About Moving to Florida [Re: Huzband]  
RoadWolf Offline
RoadWolf  Offline

Originally Posted By: Huzband
Originally Posted By: SWB

I hear Greenville, SC is pretty nice as well, and the airport is there. Feedback?

- Scott

Beware, there are a couple of nefarious characters that live in the area. cool

Not for much longer. Seriously.

And Greenville is only as nice as it's downtown area. Really the only appeal (well, that, and a great dealership in Touring Sport BMW). Outside of that, it's strip mall USA in all directions. Head 30 miles up HWY 25 to a change of pace, plus better roads.

2017 R1200GSA Triple Black
#834759 - 05/30/13 02:24 AM Re: Thinking About Moving to Florida [Re: Francis]  
Quinn Offline
Quinn  Offline

Durham, NC
After reading all these responses, I've about convienced myself that I need to move to the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina. Less than three hours to the beach and less than 3 hours to the mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway. With three major universities in the area, a diverse population brought in by bio and tech companies, and pretty much a year round riding season (a week off here or there for snow, rain, or heat); what more could you ask. Well, there's also a foodie and cultural emphasis, tree hugger and natural foods segment,a comic relief government, and the RDU international airport. Sweet tea and NC style barbacue are bonuses.

Only other place I'd consider would be Tennessee because it has no income tax, lower cost of living, and a slower pace of life. All of which become more important to me as I desolve into retirement.

-----

Maybe a chicken is just an egg's way of making more eggs.
#834764 - 05/30/13 02:40 AM Re: Thinking About Moving to Florida [Re: Quinn]  
SWB Offline
SWB  Offline

Oceanside, California
Originally Posted By: Quinn
After reading all these responses, I've about convienced myself that I need to move to the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina. Less than three hours to the beach and less than 3 hours to the mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway. With three major universities in the area, a diverse population brought in by bio and tech companies, and pretty much a year round riding season (a week off here or there for snow, rain, or heat); what more could you ask. Well, there's also a foodie and cultural emphasis, tree hugger and natural foods segment,a comic relief government, and the RDU international airport. Sweet tea and NC style barbacue are bonuses.

Only other place I'd consider would be Tennessee because it has no income tax, lower cost of living, and a slower pace of life. All of which become more important to me as I desolve into retirement.

-----

Well, Tennessee was also on my list. However, I like being somewhere close to an Ocean, don't know why exactly (heck, I'm 3 miles away from a So. California beach I visit, maybe 2-3 times a year). North Carolina looked interesting, but South Carolina tax rates seem a heck of a lot better than N.C. (though "tax" is a hodgepodge of moving parts; depends what parts you focus on).

S.C. seemed to be a nice mix of weather, coastal influence, tax rates, etc. Plus, I like their attitude toward private arms ownership (bought my last handgun from a S.C. dealer).

S.C., Tennessee, Florida, maybe Texas, but none are anything like Southern California, and I've lived around the country enough to know the difference. But if I'm going to leave my lifetime home in California, and probably take my adult kids too, it's got to be the "right" place.

Oh, and yeah, riding in the South East would be a blast! I could get to anywhere from S.C. or Tennessee.

Good luck on the hunt.

Scott

#835225 - 06/01/13 11:45 PM Re: Thinking About Moving to Florida [Re: Francis]  
rich t Offline
rich t  Offline

Jacksonville, fl
I'm on my fourth year in Jacksonville (moved from MI). For you do get to ride year round down here, but the roads are pretty boring.
95 on the east and 75 on the west, and both are loaded with the worst exiled drivers from every other state in the nation, so you have to practice defensive driving skills.
Adjusting to the weather is a factor as stated previously. Imagine that nasty hot northern week, but for four months. When it rains, it doesn't cool down, just gets more humid. It doesn't cool down at night either. Makes ATGATT a challenge.

99 R1100rt
#835317 - 06/02/13 02:38 PM Re: Thinking About Moving to Florida [Re: Quinn]  
philbytx Offline
philbytx  Offline

Kerrville, TX
Y'all should check out the 10 reasons you should move to Texas thread wink

Phil C.
2003 R1150RT "DaRTh"
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 Diesel "Smiffy"
2011 Kia Optima EX "Meosjin Chalo"
#835336 - 06/02/13 04:40 PM Re: Thinking About Moving to Florida [Re: Quinn]  
smiller Offline
smiller  Offline

Asheville, NC
Originally Posted By: Quinn
Only other place I'd consider would be Tennessee because it has no income tax

Tennessee does tax investment income and that can be significant to retirees. Since a retiree's income usually consists primarily of investment income, social security, and maybe a pension and neither TN nor NC tax SS then in my case it's pretty much a matter of whether I pay investment income tax to TN or NC, and since the rates are similar there's not much difference between them. If you have a lot of pension income then TN would be better but NC has a partial tax break for public pensions (whether from NC or not) and has rather low property taxes (also a big part of a retiree's tax picture) and relatively low insurance rates so that helps offset the difference. TN also has the highest sales tax rates in the nation so that goes into the mix as well. Bottom line, a state's overall tax burden/cost of living does not necessarily begin and end with the income tax rate alone. In Florida you can end up paying as much for home insurance as income tax in some other states, and so on.

In the end you have to pick where you want to live and then do the math. Much of the time it tends to even out somewhat, but even if not the way I see it it's false economy to try to save maybe a few $k per year to live somewhere other than you really want to.

#835349 - 06/02/13 08:40 PM Re: Thinking About Moving to Florida [Re: Francis]  
1springer Offline
1springer  Offline

Soggy Bottom, WA
I have always been especially fond of the Willamette Valley area of Oregon. Warm summers, mild winters. Not far from the mountains to the East and the ocean to West. The Corvallis area with the college there is very nice.

I would have retired there instead of Washington if there had not been an OR state income tax.

2013 Triumph Tiger 800
04 1150 RT ( sold )
#835366 - 06/02/13 10:42 PM Re: Thinking About Moving to Florida [Re: philbytx]  
SWB Offline
SWB  Offline

Oceanside, California
Originally Posted By: philbytx
Y'all should check out the 10 reasons you should move to Texas thread wink

Would be funny to hear "y'all" said with a British accent. grin

Kind of like a California guy saying "spot on!". Just incongruous.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7