Print Thread
#855539 - 10/06/13 09:00 PM no turn signals  
kennythecole Offline
Just Joined
kennythecole  Offline
Just Joined

New York,NY
hello folks my name is ken and I am new here,
I have a 1999 r1100rt I just picked up for a song.
the bike only has 40k miles.
on a very wet trip in ny state today my turn signals stopped working.
I checked the fuse and it is fine I have noy yet got my Clymer manual .all other lights work fine and bike runs just fine.i still remember my hand signals so no major worries.i rode another 200 mi home. at the same time the abs light on the dash was blinking I got it to stop but still no directional.
hey folks any thoughts.
Kenny

#855583 - 10/07/13 01:04 AM Re: no turn signals [Re: kennythecole]  
Sil Offline
Sil  Offline

Newport News, VA USA
I am not sure if this will be a help but after a long lay off from riding due to a back injury I have started going through my 2002 RT. My bike has been garage kept all but about two years of its life, under cover for that time, but open on the sides. What I am seeing is a lot of deterioration of the outside insulation on the cable runs. So one of my projects this autumn and winter is to re-wrap all of those (I am probably going to tackle the brake and fuel lines as well). Anyway, my point is in spite of miles you probably have some insulation deterioration. If your blinkers started working after they dried out, I'd bet on it.

Be good,
Mike K.

2002 R1150 RT Blurple
#855633 - 10/07/13 01:54 PM Re: no turn signals [Re: kennythecole]  
Galactic Greyhound Offline
Galactic Greyhound  Offline

Scotland, UK
Hi Kenny,

Assuming your turn signals are the standard fitment and not an aftermarket modification such as the Keihin 'Signal Minder' and that your main lights and horn are working OK:

There are two power supplies to the Flasher/Hazard relay - check that Fuses #3 and #4 are intact.

Check that the Flasher/Hazard Relay is not loose in the relay socket in the fusebox - unplug/replug to be sure. Looking to front, the large relay is in the middle row, far right hand side in front of the fuse removal tool/spare fuse section.

If that's OK, unplug the relay and look at it for the terminal designations. Check you are getting +12v on the relay socket terminals 30A3 and 15A4 with the Ignition 'On'.

If OK, check you are getting ground on the socket terminal 31.

If OK, using a short length of fine insulated wire, push one end into the relay socket terminal TL and replug the relay. Switch on the ignition. If you touch the other end of the fine wire to ground, the Left Flashers should operate.

Repeat the above for terminal 'TR' to operate the Right Flashers.

Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
#855764 - 10/08/13 01:33 AM Re: no turn signals [Re: kennythecole]  
kennythecole Offline
Just Joined
kennythecole  Offline
Just Joined

New York,NY
Thanks for your info I will give it a try