IGNORED

Rear brake pad wear

mileypop

Just had a pair of PR 4 tyres fitted & told the rear brake pads are nearly shot! 4376 miles!! Is this correct? Rang my local BMW dealer to be told that if I see 8000, I'd be extremely lucky!

Apparently GS' s are the same...

I'm assuming your bike has the semi-integrated brakes, where applying the front brake also applies the rear, but applying just the rear doesn't apply the front. I found on my 2007 R1200ST that using both the front brake lever and rear brake pedal resulted in excessive rear pad wear and a very hot rear rotor. Apparently I was overusing the rear brake. The amount of rear brake applied when just the front lever is used is supposed to be near optimum. The big problem with using just the front lever is that I get out of practice using the rear brake on bikes with out any brake integration.

Dave_zoom_zoom

Good point Karl!

Another problem I have is, I get used to using my front lever only so much, that when turning in a slow tight circle I sometimes use the front brake only. (not rear only as I should)

WOW I think we all know what that will do. :mad:

However, I do really appreciate the linked system so much that I wouldn't want to change it. :)

I just need to keep brain engaged!

Dave

After reading this thread I went out and checked my brake pads. I have 6800 miles and the rear pads have 4 mm of pad material while the front pads are at about 5 mm. Most of my riding is on the highway so I may not use as much brake as rest. Does anyone know how thick the pad material is when the pads are new?

Alan

Just had a pair of PR 4 tyres fitted & told the rear brake pads are nearly shot! 4376 miles!! Is this correct? Rang my local BMW dealer to be told that if I see 8000, I'd be extremely lucky!

Apparently GS' s are the same...

That is correct. Rear pad wear is an issue on Wethead: don't really know if it's due to brake balancing or just to the friction material BMW picked.

There are aftermarket pads available for Wetheads right now. Rear pad is the same as the K1600 and Ducati Diavel. Considerably cheaper than the original item as well. ;)

• 3 years later...

I thought I'd resurrect this thread to see what mileage most of you are getting out of your rear pads.

I have just got 12000 miles out of mine. Others are talking of considerably less.

What are your experiences?

Mine made it to 24,000 miles. Well, I should say I changed them at 24,000 miles. The pads were down to, I'm estimating, 1/128 inch...you get the point. They are getting checked every 6,000 miles now.

Edited by narcosis

26000 on mine so far,look to have about 1/3 of their life left. But lots of long road trips in the western US including a round trip to the arctic circle.

28,900 km (about 18,000 miles) and I've just replaced my rear pads. And I primarily use the front brakes only, knowing the system is linked.

Tim

Two sets of fronts each got over 40,000 miles, two sets of rears each got about 35,000 miles. Only 15K on the third set of rears but that was because I didn't want to put used pads against a new rotor (replaced both rotors at 86K). 20K on the current pads and they're still good.

I am at about 35,000 miles and I bought new rear pads as the OEM are about done.

I found early on that I was using the rear brake ONLY a lot around town like I did with the '04 RT. Which had linked rear/front from the rear brake pedal. The Wethead rear brake pedal is rear brake only and I was probably over using it. Still, 35K isn't too bad. Fronts show little wear, I wanted to try a bit more aggressive pad on them. Have not installed either, waiting on next major service.

So lunchtime today, I popped the pads out (such an easy task!), and indeed they are almost down to the metal.

I don't 'ride' the back brake. And every time I wash the bike I have checked the brakes for dragging - which they don't.

And relatively speaking, I'd say I ride this bike sedately in comparison to my Oilhead.

Mind you at only £17.12 it isn't really that bad.

Is it just the two clips and pin to remove the rear pads or do you need to remove the caliper bolt(s) as well?

Remove the 2 'R' retaining clips,

Push the caliper fully in towards the wheel (to push the pistons back into the caliper housing).

Slide the retaining pin toward the wheel and extract it.

Clean caliper.

Remove backing plate and shim from the original inboard pad.

Apply the tiniest amount of Coppaslip to the forward end of the new pads.

Apply the lightest smear of Coppaslip to the NON pad side of the inboard pad.

Fit the backing plate and shim to the inboard pad.

Slide each pad forward into the caliper such that the nose of the pad sits on the recess at the front of the caliper.

Apply a spear of Coppaslip to the retaining pin and R clips.

Slide the retaining pin into the caliper (from the wheel side).

Refit the R Clips such that the bent section of each clip sits over the solid section of the caliper and can't get accidentally caught.

Depress the rear brake pedal several times to ensure the pistons are pushed back onto the pads and that the pads are fully in contact with the disc.

Release the brakes and check the pads are not dragging.

Test ride the bike and gently wear the pads in. Avoid hard braking until the pads have bedded in.

AndyS, thanks for a quick and comprehensive response.

My 2018MY RT has covered 7k on the original rear pads and will probably last another 2k. This is in stark contrast to my last RT, a 2006, which I owned from new and consumed rear pads every 4-5k.

Regards

Dave

35k miles and my rears have 2mm left. Fronts have plenty left. I'm getting ready for a long trip and want a dealer inspection before warranty wears out so I'm having him change both front and rear while it's in the shop. He recommends EBC pads which are considerably cheaper than OEM. The local police department uses EBC. We'll see how they wear.

I use the rear brake quite a bit along with the fronts. Rear is on while doing slow maneuvers.

Well I have a new set of rear EBC SIntered and they mic at 6.6mm, my stock rear Brembo pads at 10,300 miles on my GS mic at 5.30mm. Since i have no idea what stock new mic at it is kinda of just a reference but I am happy I checked mine.

I checked and cleaned them when I did a spline lube. Since I was there I figured why not check them out? I clean my calipers ever tire change to include sanding rotors and lubing slide pins and caliper slides, and piston cleaning and working to ensure smoothness.

Even in the GS forums rear brake wear is all over the place. With some reporting 8000 mile and done? Not sure what is going on with them?

Worth the check to see how yours are behaving for sure.

Hi LAF im confused by your measurements. Are you talking about the thickness of the friction material or the whole pad (metal backing plate AND friction material)?

My new EBC's measure at 3.67mm friction material.

I just measured a fresh one, it showed 3.75mm of friction material EBC FA209/2HH sintered (Rear) my device may not be as accurate as Andy S but it's in the ballpark. What brand/type are you measuring Lee?

Jay

I have to dig them out of stock to see but I surely could be wrong,

They are EBC and I have to check the number.

Like I say I could be wrong and transposed numbers due to my dyslexia, this disease has bit me in my butt my whole life..

And not that it matters but these are for my GS.

Edited by LAF