BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#929851 - 05/12/15 02:35 AM Re: Converts to cold press coffee [Re: John Ranalletta]  
beemerboy Offline
RallyMaster UnXI, Salida, CO
beemerboy  Offline
RallyMaster UnXI, Salida, CO

Colorado Springs, CO
I use a French press to brew French Roast coarse ground beans provided by a local barista. This has been my morning ritual for almost 15 years after having been introduced to the process by a good friend. I can't imagine venturing away from this morning wake up however, having had a sample of what you describe, I can see its merits. Thanks for the reminder!

Regards,
Randy
'02 R1150RT
'04 Ducati 1000DS SS
'05 Ducati ST3
'06 K1200S
#929865 - 05/12/15 06:54 AM Re: Converts to cold press coffee [Re: John Ranalletta]  
elkroeger Offline
elkroeger  Offline

Rochester WA
There's a million ways to skin a cat. Money's been a little tight the last few years at our house. We got off the top drawer stuff and started drinking Folgers. After a couple days - Hell, coffee's coffee. I'm living in Kona now. I've had this super expensive Kona coffee, brewed by the coffee house. As far as I can tell, it tastes like Folgers.

Pretty much any way to brew coffee is fine, except for the percolator and cowboy coffee. It's too easy to burn it. But then if you're using a percolator, you have other problems. If you're making cowboy coffee, you don't really give a crap about anything anyway.

A chemist friend of mine tells me that you're likely to not extract as much caffeine with the cold method.

Last edited by elkroeger; 05/12/15 07:02 AM.

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Eric
#929881 - 05/12/15 01:00 PM Re: Converts to cold press coffee [Re: John Ranalletta]  
Jake Offline
Madcap
Jake  Offline
Madcap

South Florida
Originally Posted By: John Ranalletta
We're not coffee snobs, i.e. we don't buy the coffee made from nuts excreted by an endangered monkey in Asia.

Confessed coffee snob here, guilty as charged. I was raised in a family of foodies, and older sis lived in Berkeley which was near ground zero for the current US coffee obsession. We've been grinding the stuff since the 70s. That said, I was turned on to the cold brew process a while back and have used the Toddy that Mike illustrated. Neat process, each person can vary the strength of their own cup according to their tastes, it's efficient and it's highly portable. The only thing I have found - since I am a bitter SOB - is that the coffee tends to be on the smooth side. Not a critique, just a feature.

I'll drink major American beers if there's no craft or European beer available.

I'm fine with diner coffee as I leave my coffee expectations at home, but I will not drink major Amercian beers, a man has got to have his limitations.

When you are next in Miami, I will treat you to a cup brewed by these folks. Truly a spoiling experience. Panther Coffee. Best enjoyed when you are wearing your BMW Whale Foreskin Riding Suit.

'76 R90/6
'04 ST4S
'18 RT
#929883 - 05/12/15 02:27 PM Re: Converts to cold press coffee [Re: Jake]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted By: Jake
We're not coffee snobs, i.e. we don't buy the coffee made from nuts excreted by an endangered monkey in Asia.

Confessed coffee snob here, guilty as charged. I was raised in a family of foodies, and older sis lived in Berkeley which was near ground zero for the current US coffee obsession. We've been grinding the stuff since the 70s. That said, I was turned on to the cold brew process a while back and have used the Toddy that Mike illustrated. Neat process, each person can vary the strength of their own cup according to their tastes, it's efficient and it's highly portable. The only thing I have found - since I am a bitter SOB - is that the coffee tends to be on the smooth side. Not a critique, just a feature.

I'll drink major American beers if there's no craft or European beer available.

I'm fine with diner coffee as I leave my coffee expectations at home, but I will not drink major Amercian beers, a man has got to have his limitations.

When you are next in Miami, I will treat you to a cup brewed by these folks. Truly a spoiling experience. Panther Coffee. Best enjoyed when you are wearing your BMW Whale Foreskin Riding Suit.

rofl

95% of an RT.

I haven't had too many Beemers, I just don't have enough time.
#929884 - 05/12/15 02:30 PM Re: Converts to cold press coffee [Re: John Ranalletta]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Makes one wonder. Is coffee oil safe to use in a bike with a wet clutch?

95% of an RT.

#929903 - 05/12/15 05:53 PM Re: Converts to cold press coffee [Re: Bud]  
Glenn Reed Offline
Glenn Reed  Offline

Towson MD
Originally Posted By: Bud

There he goes again, trying to stir things up! smile

"And that's the thing about people who mean everything they say. They think everyone else does too. Khaled Hosseini

Hanlon's Razor "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
#929914 - 05/12/15 06:36 PM Re: Converts to cold press coffee [Re: Bud]  
ArmyGuy Offline
ArmyGuy  Offline

Fort Huachuca, AZ

Where is the 'LIKE' button when you need one?

Mike

14 R12GS
07 G650X Challenge
#929917 - 05/12/15 06:44 PM Re: Converts to cold press coffee [Re: Bud]  
4wheeldog Offline
4wheeldog  Offline

moved to Tijeras NM
[quote=John Ranalletta]But you can temper your response to my comments because I use FRAM filters on my bikes. rofl

OCD (Orange can of death), or "Toughguard"?

#929923 - 05/12/15 07:44 PM Re: Converts to cold press coffee [Re: 4wheeldog]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
[quote=John Ranalletta]But you can temper your response to my comments because I use FRAM filters on my bikes. rofl

OCD (Orange can of death), or "Toughguard"?

Yes. rofl

95% of an RT.

#929924 - 05/12/15 07:44 PM Re: Converts to cold press coffee [Re: ArmyGuy]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted By: ArmyGuy

Where is the 'LIKE' button when you need one?

Your sense of humor must be as twisted as mine. wave

95% of an RT.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3