IGNORED

A little electronic help (radio)

TexasMule

I can't answer that as no electronic expert. What I would probably do is reattach them or replace them and see if they are correct. I doubt it, but I guess it is possible if BMW has noisy RF that somehow ( showing my lack of electrical knowledge) the RF could travel up the wires left open.

Did you leave the wires intact and just cut off the connectors or something else??

I still say bad radio.

So I finally heard back from Jensen. They said since I cut off the AUX input wires I shorted the radio, and f**ked up the controls.

Afternoon TexasMule

To me that doesn't make sense but it sounds like they were looking for an "out" of their warranty obligation.

Maybe you can go back through your seller by denying your credit card charges until he intervenes & gets you some warranty help.

IF that did short something out (no idea on what that has to do with the CONTROLS though) then the radio had no internal protection. That would mean that the radio would also fail anytime something was plugged into that jack that had a short in it.

Bottom line-- doesn't make sense, but I guess it doesn't have to as all they have to do is say NO, then it's up to you to figure out how to force the issue.

Well

You didn't tell us that you had these cut off (unless I missed it).

AUX have no protection ever. I am assuming that these are RCA connections. These are typically 75 ohm impedance, not that it does matter in this situation.

But the external screen is the shield to protect from outside noise and is always tied to ground.

If the outside shield screen is shorting to the internal signal wire, then you can very well introduce heavy ground/engine/switching noise into the radio.

Remember that this is an "Audio" input...designed to bring in signal.

If they are sending it back to you as is, then you don't have to re-attach the plug. But you DO have to insure that the external screen is not shorting out to the internal wire.

What I suggest is to re-cut off the ends as clean as possible using small very sharp side cutters.

Then with a very sharp knife/blade strip back the external insulation...careful the screen is a very fine wire mesh...around 10mm back.

Now push the screen back by 5mm and cut off the internal wire 5mm shorter.

The internal wire usually has a white insulation. Pull the external screen to it's original length which now should overhang the internal insulated wire by a bit.

Now carefully twist the screen at the end a few times and cover the exposed length with heatshrink.

The heatshrink should be overhanging the end by 5~10mm. Shrink it down and while it's shrinking use a pair of flat nose pliers and squeeze the overhanging end of the heatshrink.

This will glue the end of the heatsrink together, leaving a flat end that is glued together.

Why do the above?

The above direction is to make sure even more then the original design to not get external noise introduced into the radio electronics.

By pulling the external screen over and around the insulated internal signal wire, you are "shielding" the internal signal wire from any external noise.

Alfred,

Thanks so much for the expert advice. I will absolutely try to do your suggestion without screwing it up any more than I already have.

You gave excellent instructions, and I will follow them exactly. Based on your description it appears the wire is similar to a coax cable.

Radio won't be here until sometime this week. I'll try next weekend.

and no I didn't mention cutting off the AUX input because (stupidly) I didn't think it had anything to do with the radio reception.

Edited by TexasMule

No guaranty that this will fix it.

But do make sure that the external screen and the internal wire will not touch each other.

If the manufacturer is worth anything at all then they should fix this up while they have it there.

It's a 10 minute exercise for a Tech, if that.

It would have taken longer for them to just test the radio, even with a fully setup testing rig and procedure.

If the manufacturer is worth anything at all then they should fix this up while they have it there.

It's a 10 minute exercise for a Tech, if that.

It would have taken longer for them to just test the radio, even with a fully setup testing rig and procedure.

You're assuming they actually tested the radio.

I assume they saw the AUX inputs cut off, and didn't bother doing anything...and it took a week to do that.

I performed the surgery per Alfred's instructions. Reception still sucks donkey balls.

What's weird is out of the hundreds of stations in the Dallas area it picks up

sports talk radio really well. If all the stations pulled in as well as that one

I wouldn't complain. And yes it's FM talk radio -ESPN.

I'm really hesitant to buy another radio and waste another $200.

So I rode down to the Motorcycle Show in downtown Dallas today and the radio picked up stations extremely well while downtown.

Rode straight out of Dallas after the show and the reception dropped off precipitously the further I got away from the signal. In my car I can pick up all the stations all over the metroplex.

I don't think the AUX is affecting the radio. I think it's definitely the antenna. I'm going to try to put on a different antenna and see if it makes a difference.

I want to thank everyone for their help. I learned a few things, which is never a bad thing.

Take care, Bill

Edited by TexasMule
You can't be the first to encounter this problem. Ask Jensen.

http://www.jensenheavyduty.com/technical-support

If they can't help, get your money back.

It's not specific to Jensen equipment. I have a the same issue with my Pioneer unit using the stock, front-mounted, antenna. Haven't found a solution so I run MP3s unless I get to Tampa (w/i 20 miles), then I can grab their stations.

And I haven't made any mods to the unit, no wires cut, etc. Plus, it was installed by my bro-in-law who has done this (in cars/trucks) professionally for many years.

I'll be watching for a solution.

It's not specific to Jensen equipment. I have a the same issue with my Pioneer unit using the stock, front-mounted, antenna. Haven't found a solution so I run MP3s unless I get to Tampa (w/i 20 miles), then I can grab their stations.

And I haven't made any mods to the unit, no wires cut, etc. Plus, it was installed by my bro-in-law who has done this (in cars/trucks) professionally for many years.

That's disheartening to hear. I thought maybe, just maybe if I tried a different radio it might solve the problem.

Now I'm back to square one.

I posted my dilemma over on the MOA board just in case they have a slightly different audience.

You can't be the first to encounter this problem. Ask Jensen.

http://www.jensenheavyduty.com/technical-support

If they can't help, get your money back.

I mounted a Pioneer radio in 07 RT and used an antenna I purchased form an auto parts store. Reception was good even at a distance.

I have the same problem. If you have auxiliary lights unplug them and try the radio. I have Clearwater aux lights and the power supply for them put out radiation that interfered with the radio. I could only get a few stations on FM none on AM and the weather channel.

I've got Moto lights hooked up with an Autoswitch.

I'll unplug them and see. What have I got to lose?

Although I don't hear a significant difference whether

they're turned on or not.

Where did you mount the antenna? and what Pioneer unit did you purchase?

I'm all ears....

I used a flat piece of metal to mount the antenna to the license plate bracket. The unit was a DEH-P3900MP.

I have the same problem. If you have auxiliary lights unplug them and try the radio. I have Clearwater aux lights and the power supply for them put out radiation that interfered with the radio. I could only get a few stations on FM none on AM and the weather channel.

I also have aux. (fog) lights mounted. They are on a switch and have no effect on radio reception regardless of on or off, engine running or not. Reception is fine with ignition on but engine not started. Once the engine starts, nothing but white noise/static for any station more than 20-25 miles away. Closer stations are fine but can be affected by terrain/bldgs/big vehicles near that 20-25 mile level. Since the broadcast towers for me are all that distance or farther away, MP3s it is.

For what it is worth, I do have a marine remote hard-wired into the unit (I suspect most do due to inaccessibility of unit). Could this be an issue?

Edited by Fubar

I also have aux. (fog) lights mounted. They are on a switch and have no effect on radio reception regardless of on or off, engine running or not. Reception is fine with ignition on but engine not started. Once the engine starts, nothing but white noise/static for any station more than 20-25 miles away. Closer stations are fine but can be affected by terrain/bldgs/big vehicles near that 20-25 mile level. Since the broadcast towers for me are all that distance or farther away, MP3s it is.

For what it is worth, I do have a marine remote hard-wired into the unit (I suspect most do due to inaccessibility of unit). Could this be an issue?

I had a wired remote with the radio I installed in my 07 also and it didn't cause any problems/

Fubar, this describes my issue to a T. Nothing but white noise/static for any station more than 20-25 miles away .....close stations are fine but can be affected by terrain/bldgs, etc.

I wish I knew what is causing this.... :S

• 7 months later...

After many months, and installing a Tune Trapper antenna in the fairing, I think I may have isolated the problem.

I'm running HIDs in both my headlights, and based on input from both Tune Trapper, and the Swedespeed forum, it appears that HIDs emit a tremendous amount of EMI noise that reduces reception.

This would explain why when I just turn on the bike (don't start) the radio works perfectly fine, but as soon as I start the bike and the HIDs fire up, reception is lost.

Now I just have to figure out how to "shield" the ballasts on the HIDs.

Instead of messing around trying to shield crappy HID ballasts, I just bought a set from XenonDepot.

They state;

Do you have a motorcycle CB or radio on your touring motorcycle? Xtreme motorcycle HID ballasts are especially equipped with EMI filters to ensure that our upgrade kit does not interference with any of your bike’s electrical components – unfortunately not the case with lower quality ballasts

and I definitely have some "lower" quality ballasts on the bike.

We'll see if this makes a difference.

I have to reply here.

On the 29th December, you were told to move the bike away from flourescent lighting and household wiring interference. On 1st February, someone chimed in about the power supply to Clearwater lights emitting interference.

You posted the same problem over on the BMWOA and R1200RT boards (non-mention of HID's in that post).

Countless folks have spent countless hours trying to help.

I have trawled through all the posts on this thread. This is the first I remember of your non-standard HID lights.

So for anyone who reads this thread - please, please, please tell us about all your non-standard mods when seeking help.

Wow, your very first reply to this thread. (on this forum)

I'm sorry I wasted so much of your valuable time. I'll be sure to check with you first next time....

• 3 weeks later...

I know this has been an ongoing issue, but I wanted to let everyone know the solution to my problem.

After purchasing a "tuner trapper" antenna and still not solving the problem i.e. good reception engine off, no reception engine on, I spoke with the TT techs and they suggested that I may have shitty Chinese ballasts on my HIDs.

Sure enough I had some really cheap Chinese HID ballasts on the bike, and I replaced them with some from XenonDepot and wrapped them with metal tape, the problem basically disappeared. It's not perfect, but it's 1,000% better.

So in summary, if you bought cheap Chinese HIDs with crappy ballasts, get rid of them, and/or try to wrap them with metal tape and see if that makes a difference.

Night and day I tell ya, night and day.

BTW, before anybody starts telling me I'm going to ruin the ballasts wrapping metal tape around them, I checked first with XenonDepot and they said it shouldn't hurt them at all.