IGNORED

2016 R1200GS vs 2016 Yamaha Super Tenere

Krista Wright

Krista Wright

I have decided that it is time to buy an adventure bike! I am between the R1200GS and the Super Tenere. I have taken rides on both, and I like them equally. That said, I am clueless on adventure bikes, and wanted to seek the opinions of others who have perhaps been faced with a similar decision. What did you decide on, and why?

My priorities:

* An all around FUN and capable bike!

* Capability

* Reliability

* A bike that I can have for 100,000 miles with minimal undue maintenance

* Cost of ownership

Any thoughts or feedback would be most welcomed!

Welcome Krista! :wave: Not to steer you away from BMW or Yamaha but have you seen the new Africa Twin from Honda? Pretty awesome reviews so far. :thumbsup:

Only compromise IMO is chain FD & tubed tires. Probably just an unfounded fear on my part. :eek:

Pat

Now, if getting into the ADV game price is important to you, take a look here. 2013 brand new Super Tenere for $8500.00 dollars. Granted, shipping is gonna cost you a bit, but still a decent deal. :thumbsup:

Middle of the page.

http://www.sehornyamaha.com/default.asp

Edit

A little more thought on the 13 Super T and I see they were updated in 2014. That may be a deal breaker for me.

Pat

Edited by TEWKS

Right now between the two bikes the Yamaha wins nearly hands down.

The GS is a bit lighter, handles better (though the Yamaha is not a slouch by any means) and has better fuel range.

The Yamaha however is better put together, components are higher quality and... is a Yamaha, meaning only ordinary maintenance and replacement of wear items (wheel bearings for example) will keep it on the road for a long long time.

If the Yamaha has a serious fault, it's the headlight which I would define as "adequate" and only barely so for riding at night.

The big difference between BMW's and Yamaha's is if you want to buy a BMW and want to make sure it will be sorted out, meaning after at very least two years if not during the last production year. A Yamaha will be sorted starting with the second model year.

I know the GS-LC has been around longer than a couple of years but it seems BMW is still struggling with leaking water pumps, a problem 80's Flying Bricks had not...

The GS is a bit lighter, handles better (though the Yamaha is not a slouch by any means) and has better fuel range.

The Yamaha however is better put together, components are higher quality and... is a Yamaha, meaning only ordinary maintenance and replacement of wear items (wheel bearings for example) will keep it on the road for a long long time.

If the Yamaha has a serious fault, it's the headlight which I would define as "adequate" and only barely so for riding at night.

The big difference between BMW's and Yamaha's is if you want to buy a BMW and want to make sure it will be sorted out, meaning after at very least two years if not during the last production year. A Yamaha will be sorted starting with the second model year.

I know the GS-LC has been around longer than a couple of years but it seems BMW is still struggling with leaking water pumps, a problem 80's Flying Bricks had not...

Hmmmm....do you own or have you ever ridden a liquid cooled R12GS? (or Tenere)

Edited by bobbybob

Having owned every first year 12 gs except the w/c one I think your way off base. I have put at least 36k miles on each first year bike and have had 1 leaky rear shock which was replaced under wty. I've ridden 3 of them in Europe and they didn't break down there either. I have in fact, owned every year 12GS thru the 2012 model. They have all been perfect save the shock I mentioned.

Krista, drop by any of the BMW dealers near you for a test ride. There are several close to you.

Edited by Marty Hill
Anyone know of a brand new 2013 GS sitting around for sale?

Just saying...

Hmm....I wonder, could it really be true? :D

30SBUX_GRAPH.jpg

Pat

I have not priced them out as you would purchase one but based on MSRP and a $1500 adder for the Beemer I would take the BMW. The Yamaha has a one year warranty versus 3 years for the BMW. Resale would be better for the BMW I think. I am biased of course but nothing rides like the BMW.

Both good bikes, as well as the Honda.

Good luck.

Terry

on the first gen S-10 I rode years ago I loved the motor but the GS blew it away on handling for me. The S-10 just felt like a load. YMMV of course.

That's the beauty of having a Yamaha and a BMW dealership, both very keen on selling bikes, in a five mile radius. As many test rides as you want. ;)

There's also a KTM dealership a further two miles away but they are nowhere near as keen on selling bikes.

That's also the beauty of the local BMW dealership being run as two separate units: the people down in the shop are not in the business of selling bikes, only fixing and servicing them. Hang around them a little, be nice to them and they'll tell you a lot of things. ;)

That's the beauty of having a Yamaha and a BMW dealership, both very keen on selling bikes, in a five mile radius. As many test rides as you want. ;)

There's also a KTM dealership a further two miles away but they are nowhere near as keen on selling bikes.

That's also the beauty of the local BMW dealership being run as two separate units: the people down in the shop are not in the business of selling bikes, only fixing and servicing them. Hang around them a little, be nice to them and they'll tell you a lot of things. ;)

So "the GS is lighter, handles better, and has better range" than the Tenere but the Tenere wins hands down? OK, got it! :thumbsup:

Edited by bobbybob
Hey Krista, are you still with us?

I was kinda thinking the same thing, Marty! :)

Thankfully, the oil viscosity topic hadn't come into play, no doubt she'd be on the next Tenere forum out of town. :rofl:

20w/50 - 15w/50 - 10w/40

You-Cant-Handle-The-Truth.jpg

Kidding Krista, Tenere or GS you'd be welcomed either way! :thumbsup:

Pat

So "the GS is lighter, handles better, and has better range" than the Tenere but the Tenere wins hands down? OK, got it! :thumbsup:

I'll gladly sacrifice a little agility and tank range for better quality. Different priorities and all of that. :)

Welcome Krista! :wave: Not to steer you away from BMW or Yamaha but have you seen the new Africa Twin from Honda? Pretty awesome reviews so far. :thumbsup:

Only compromise IMO is chain FD & tubed tires. Probably just an unfounded fear on my part. :eek:

Pat

Or the new VFR1200X. Just saw one at the bike show. Nice looking bike.

• 4 weeks later...
Krista Wright

Thank you for the great replies. I'm close to making a decision. I'm still split 50/50. One minute I want the Yamaha, the next the BMW!

Can someone please post their maintenance costs for the water cooled GS? 6,000, 12,000, 18,000, and 24,000 mile services, or, whichever of those you may have handy.

Thanks!

Since your dealer would be about the highest priced in the country, why not drop in and ask them. Any prices from another state will be quite a bit lower and meaningless to you.

Can someone please post their maintenance costs for the water cooled GS? 6,000, 12,000, 18,000, and 24,000 mile services, or, whichever of those you may have handy.

Thanks!

C'mon Phil is that you? : )

Thanks!

C'mon Phil is that you? : )

True classic! :rofl:

I have a '12 Tenere that has been trouble free. Just regular oil changes, valve check at 24k. Change brake fluid and clutch fluid every 3 years, FD oil at 12k..... that's it. I have ridden my friends '08 GSA and it felt just a little lighter (good for the trials) but the Tenere felt more planted on the hwy. Both would be exceptional long distance machines. I have an 1150RT so I'm familiar with the maintenance, etc, of the GSA's. Both bikes will go the 100k without much fuss, but the Tenere will be less costly I think.

Based on your initial parameters, the Tenere would be exceptional.

There is adifference in cost of acquisition and maintenance.

The BMW will be more.

Also, at resale and /or trade the BMW will be worth more and one can recoup the margin.

Of course there are exceptions and horror stories, I'm talking in general.

Start with what floats your boat and go from there.

You'll take better care of it and enjoy yourself more, IMO.

Regardless of choice, post your pics and tales.

Best wishes.

CoarsegoldKid

There may be lighter bikes for Adventure riding than a 12GS or 12Tenere. I'll bet some dealers even have them. Triumph has some. Even BMW has a 800cc GS. Whatever you decide this may be of interest to you. NorCal meets Socal in the Middle event listed in the Ride Planing Section. Also the Steward's of the Sierra National Forest, SOTSNF.org, are having a fundraiser which will provide an optional Adventure Bike ride along with a Dual Sport ride in July. I'm planing the ADV route for Friday's ride. It will be just what your new bike is made to ride.

I like visuals, both are good looking bikes. :thumbsup:

maxresdefault.jpg

Screw the Yammy, the GS is sweet, 50 lbs. lighter and probably feels 100 lbs. lighter. I haven't ridden a Tenere but there seems to be a lot of used ones for sale.

Screw the Yammy, the GS is sweet, 50 lbs. lighter and probably feels 100 lbs. lighter. I haven't ridden a Tenere but there seems to be a lot of used ones for sale.

I did a lengthy demo ride in Asheville when they came out and left unimpressed. It felt a lot like my WeeStrom which could best be described as numb. Everything worked great but after 30 minutes I was bored.

I'd ridden an 1150GS (2up) over there and the ride back to Highlands made me appreciate that the ten year old BMW handled better, had as much or more low end grunt, but mainly it was just more fun and involving to ride. Can't put a price tag on that.

I did a lengthy demo ride in Asheville when they came out and left unimpressed. It felt a lot like my WeeStrom which could best be described as numb. Everything worked great but after 30 minutes I was bored.

I'd ridden an 1150GS (2up) over there and the ride back to Highlands made me appreciate that the ten year old BMW handled better, had as much or more low end grunt, but mainly it was just more fun and involving to ride. Can't put a price tag on that.

Read above carefully...Bill knows of what he speaks. Dude rides more offroad than I sleep. :wave:

Krista Wright

With some trepidation, I came here to announce that I picked up a new motorcycle today.

2016 R1200GS, Triple Black. Touring Package, Premium Package, Keyless Ride, Shift Assist Pro, ABS Pro, spoke wheels.

What a motorcycle!! I hope that all the bad things I've heard about BMW reliability aren't true and that I enjoy this bike for hundreds of thousands of miles!!!!

Krista Wright

Looking around this site, it seems most users have older bikes, 1150's, or the early hexhead 1200's. Is that correct? If so, is there a better site for water boxer questions?

Krista - What are the 2 or 3 primary reasons for your selecting the BMW over the Yamaha?

Also, while this is a great site for water boxer questions/answers, you could check the ADVrider forum for threads that are more GS-focussed.

Looking around this site, it seems most users have older bikes, 1150's, or the early hexhead 1200's. Is that correct? If so, is there a better site for water boxer questions?

Congratulations on the new ride, you will enjoy every mile. You should use all the sites to your advantage but there is no better site than than this one. This thread, Gelande Strasse, is very new therefore not a large post count. The Wethead section encompasses the GS also and it has already passed the Camheads in post counts.

I am only on my third Beemer, all have been reliable. As Pat says, ride and enjoy. If you do have a problem or question, post up, someone will be along to help.

Be well.

Terry

With some trepidation, I came here to announce that I picked up a new motorcycle today.

2016 R1200GS, Triple Black. Touring Package, Premium Package, Keyless Ride, Shift Assist Pro, ABS Pro, spoke wheels.

What a motorcycle!! I hope that all the bad things I've heard about BMW reliability aren't true and that I enjoy this bike for hundreds of thousands of miles!!!!

I saw the GS Triple Black at Motorrad Days in Garmisch last year. Beautiful looking machine. Post up some pictures when you can!!

CoarsegoldKid

Nice bike you got there. I was sitting on one in the showroom just the other day. Safer for my wallet than I do not ride one.

But since you now have one fine ride time to plan to get in on the fun. Read this in the Ride Planing section. NorCal Meets SoCal in the Middle .

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on the new ride.

Of course, without a pic it didn't happen. :grin:

• 2 months later...
Blind Squirrel

I did a search on Ténéré vs GS and found this thread! Right in my back yard and I didn't even realize it was here!

I want to move from my air cooled RT to a water cooled dual sport platform. Looking at the Gen 2 Ténéré or a factory lowered GSA.

From what I have read so far the Ténéré is nearly bullet-proof. Not sure what I will end up doing. It will probably come down to cost and availability when I get ready to make the move (most likely this winter).

Edited by Blind Squirrel
One more RT rider goes to the dark side...

But, they often return!

I had a Super Tenere for a while. Found it to be a great bike, very reliable, comfortable, but also BORING, and sold it to buy another BMW.

As they say, the grass isn't always greener on the other side!

Being such a youngster I'll forgive this.

;)

GS = Dirty Side.

The Original Dark Side was directed at those boxer riders who moved to the K Flying Brick version.

Of course as the years go by an people repeat things, even Dewey might win the election.

:grin:

:wave:

Good to see you in Helen.

Best wishes.

:lurk:

Edited by tallman
Blind Squirrel

Being such a youngster I'll forgive this.

;)

GS = Dirty Side.

The Original Dark Side was directed at those boxer riders who moved to the K Flying Brick version.

Of course as the years go by an people repeat things, even Dewey might win the election.

:grin:

:wave:

Good to see you in Helen.

Best wishes.

:lurk:

In the FJR community dark side refers to someone that runs a car tire for their rear wheel.

Yes.

Just talking about Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood to the best of my rekolekshun.

So many folks getting GS's BMW has made them more streetish based on new owners input/dealer feedback/ and Starbucks surveillance.

Just having some fun.

Blind Squirrel
Yes.

Just talking about Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood to the best of my rekolekshun.

So many folks getting GS's BMW has made them more streetish based on new owners input/dealer feedback/ and Starbucks surveillance.

Just having some fun.

Doesn't every new GS come with a $100 Starbucks gift card and all the Starbucks pre-loaded into the GPS? :grin: