IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) 2016 - Sparta NC

TyTass

One more hurdle overcome to be able to make the event.

I need a few more things to happen to be able to make it.

Get on that, Bernie. :grin:

Finally made my reservations for Friday and Saturday night.

I'm hoping work in Charlotte on Thursday will be the end of my week and I can catch up with folks early Friday morning.

Christine may not be able to make it, but if she does, it would be a late Friday arrival.

Hope I can make this happen!

Trying to make this happen but I probably used up my wife's good will when I took the trip to Red Lodge for the UN. This FART may be too soon after. Happy wife, happy life.

Trying to make this happen but I probably used up my wife's good will when I took the trip to Red Lodge for the UN. This FART may be too soon after. Happy wife, happy life.

Just tell her you need to show off that new to you GS! She'll understand.

Get on that, Bernie. :grin:

Yeah really! A START/FART without Bernie?

Finally made my reservations for Friday and Saturday night.

I'm hoping work in Charlotte on Thursday will be the end of my week and I can catch up with folks early Friday morning.

Christine may not be able to make it, but if she does, it would be a late Friday arrival.

Hope I can make this happen!

Yes, many folks will want to see you there ... not me, but many folks! :rofl:

Hey all ... FYI

I put La Cucina Italiana on the FART16_W1b_140/277 (LaCucina - Mtn City TN) route as a back-up place to eat.

I just found out they are only open for dinner (open 5:00pm) so don't count on them as a lunch backup. Furthermore, they will be closed from September 14th thought September 22nd. There are other places to eat in Mountain City, if necessary.

Sorry about the error.

Get on that, Bernie.

:grin:

Ok,ok, stop twisting my arm. I can't ride that way. I hope to get out of here on Saturday, IF FedEx delivers my new fuel tank for my F550 before Friday and so I can get the monster to the truck shop for it's bi-annual vacation (reconditioning).

Edited by Bernie

Assuming I can get my poor, neglected bike in order, it looks like I can pull this off after all! If the hotel's full, I'll string my hammock nearby and borrow someone's bathroom :-)

Still working out the details, but I'll most likely arrive Weds afternoon, and may need to leave Sat. Looking forward to seeing you all!!

Christopher

-The Lurker from Alabama

giphy.gif

We have a proposal effort going on that looks like it will run over the weekend (due 30 Sept). I was really looking forward to finally making one.

Ok,ok, stop twisting my arm. I can't ride that way. I hope to get out of here on Saturday, IF FedEx delivers my new fuel tank for my F550 before Friday and so I can get the monster to the truck shop for it's bi-annual vacation (reconditioning).

FART '16 - Feel the Bern! :burnout:

;)

giphy.gif

We have a proposal effort going on that looks like it will run over the weekend (due 30 Sept). I was really looking forward to finally making one.

So you're Red Teaming it this weekend? Well, being that the last one of those I did last April resulted in our losing our contract, I wish you better luck than we had. Sorry you can't make it.

If things change and you get freed up instead, it's like you have far to ride to come visit.

Edited by TyTass
Assuming I can get my poor, neglected bike in order, it looks like I can pull this off after all! If the hotel's full, I'll string my hammock nearby and borrow someone's bathroom :-)

Still working out the details, but I'll most likely arrive Weds afternoon, and may need to leave Sat. Looking forward to seeing you all!!

Christopher

-The Lurker from Alabama

I doubt the motel will be full, but a quick call and you can find out. Hope you can make it.

Craig - I invited John M to FART with us. He's a good riding buddy of mine and will be on his new GS. Please welcome him to the group!

Got it, thanks. Another GS, eh? It must be a thing ...

So you're Red Teaming it this weekend? Well, being that the last one of those I did last April resulted in our losing our contract, I wish you better luck than we had. Sorry you can't make it.

If things change and you get freed up instead, it's like you have far to ride to come visit.

Freakin' industry day was 25 August, RFP drops same day, only the customer laptop is allowed to process, maximum 15 people allowed on the project, accesses finally granted for the majority on 8 Sept, accesses to the laptop for the majority given on 12 Sept, which leaves us 18 days to put together something that we don't do,......gee, thanks business development for volunteering us for this :dopeslap::dopeslap::dopeslap:

Well, work has done it again--conference scheduled Wednesday-Friday. Going to miss this one fellas! See you at the START. Ride safe!

That really sucks, Steve! Hopefully we'll get to meet up for a quick Coffee Club ride before it get too cold.

Freakin' industry day was 25 August, RFP drops same day, only the customer laptop is allowed to process, maximum 15 people allowed on the project, accesses finally granted for the majority on 8 Sept, accesses to the laptop for the majority given on 12 Sept, which leaves us 18 days to put together something that we don't do,......gee, thanks business development for volunteering us for this :dopeslap::dopeslap::dopeslap:

So BTDT I couldn't take it anymore.

Hello all,

As it turns out, I might be able to attend. It would only for the 1st or 2nd day, as I have to be back home by the 24th, and even that depends on family issues and work. So I am 'tentative'.

I've never been to an event like this, so I could use some pernters. I've read through the whole thread a while back and downloaded the gpx into Google Maps to see the routes, but I don't have any fancy devices, only my phone and a Garmin I don't yet have mounted, but I can make due.

For us 'stragglers', do you guys meet for breakfast in the morn and then head out in a group or groups? What's a day like? Sorry if this has been answered. I don't recall reading it in the thread.

Glenn is really stretching it to the wire on this one!

Come on Glenn, let's ride! :bike:

Sorry Scott, not gonna make it to this one. :( Factors have consipred such that it doesn't make sense.

On the bright side, y'all might have clear weather! :rofl:

Or at the very least, it will be much more difficult to blame on me if you do get rain. :dopeslap:

The initiation rites involving the goat just take a few minutes. After that, the secret handshake and the tattoo.

Just kidding. Totally informal, introduce yourself, no one but Craig bites...

Hard.

:grin:

Sorry Scott, not gonna make it to this one. :( Factors have consipred such that it doesn't make sense.

Did it ever make sense? :wave: Not to mention, isn't this the closet START/FART to your neck of the woods, in a while?

Hello all,

As it turns out, I might be able to attend. It would only for the 1st or 2nd day, as I have to be back home by the 24th, and even that depends on family issues and work. So I am 'tentative'.

I've never been to an event like this, so I could use some pernters. I've read through the whole thread a while back and downloaded the gpx into Google Maps to see the routes, but I don't have any fancy devices, only my phone and a Garmin I don't yet have mounted, but I can make due.

For us 'stragglers', do you guys meet for breakfast in the morn and then head out in a group or groups? What's a day like? Sorry if this has been answered. I don't recall reading it in the thread.

Hello and welcome aboard!

Before I describe events like these, let's run down a few generalities. I see you've been on the Board a little while already. Since you're obviously hanging around the board some posting and now trying to join in on a ride event, you might want to consider a new member introduction under Motorcycle Talk. Tell us all something about yourself. Do you have a first name we can call you or do you go by Christo?

As for the Ride Event ... FART ... and other such local ride events ...

Despite appearances, they are not formal or very organized at all. Basically, it's this:

1. Organizers set up a room block for particular dates and post a Topic

2. They create and distribute "recommended" routes

3. Prospective attendees chat and get excited about it,

4. People show up, chat in the parking lot, introduce themselves, lie about their ride in or their bike's performance,

5, Folks go various ways for dinner then return to the parking lot to continue their lies and drink various adult beverages, make ad hoc plans for the next day's ride (groups of 2-5, generally ... these plans usually include the plan for breakfast), then folks trickle off to sleep at varying times.

5. People wake up and mostly follow the plans made the night before ... mostly. Sometimes, ad hoc plans are made right there in the parking lot with anyone appearing to be leaving at the same time.

6. Individuals and ad hoc groups leave to ride at various times throughout the morning.

7. Individuals and ad hoc groups return from their rides at various times throughout the afternoon.

8. Steps 4-7 are repeated, though the dinner on Sat night is generally a group affair (though with separate checks).

There you have it. Nothing really organized ... it's too much like herding cats.

The initiation rites involving the goat just take a few minutes. After that, the secret handshake and the tattoo.

Just kidding. Totally informal, introduce yourself, no one but Craig bites...

Hard. :grin:

THAT'S A LIE!

I only nibble ... a bit.

Hello and welcome aboard! ...

Thank you Craig for the great run down! I can picture it already. I appreciate the advice on setting up a new member intro. I should do that.

Will you or anyone be checking this site for PMs or posts during the event?

As for the Ride Event ... FART ... and other such local ride events ...

Despite appearances, they are not formal or very organized at all. Basically, it's this:

1. Organizers set up a room block for particular dates and post a Topic

2. They create and distribute "recommended" routes

3. Prospective attendees chat and get excited about it,

4. People show up, chat in the parking lot, introduce themselves, lie about their ride in or their bike's performance,

5, Folks go various ways for dinner then return to the parking lot to continue their lies and drink various adult beverages, make ad hoc plans for the next day's ride (groups of 2-5, generally ... these plans usually include the plan for breakfast), then folks trickle off to sleep at varying times.

5. People wake up and mostly follow the plans made the night before ... mostly. Sometimes, ad hoc plans are made right there in the parking lot with anyone appearing to be leaving at the same time.

6. Individuals and ad hoc groups leave to ride at various times throughout the morning.

7. Individuals and ad hoc groups return from their rides at various times throughout the afternoon.

8. Steps 4-7 are repeated, though the dinner on Sat night is generally a group affair (though with separate checks).

There you have it. Nothing really organized ... it's too much like herding cats.

Nice summation Craig! :thumbsup:

Christo, Here are the "Check In" threads from the most recent get togethers in that area, they might give you a little preview:

START 2016

FART 2015

Hello and welcome aboard! ...

Thank you Craig for the great run down! I can picture it already. I appreciate the advice on setting up a new member intro. I should do that.

Will you or anyone be checking this site for PMs or posts during the event?

Someone will ... I will probably be very busy standing around the parking lot ... lying ... perhaps biting ... a bit.

Nice n Easy Rider

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it after all. Had to see the doctor on Saturday who confirmed that I had torn the muscle on the right side of my back under the shoulder blade. Apparently this began with a bad fall (face plant) in July which I finished off with some as yet unidentified movements last week. The doctor told me the only treatment would be rest. I've been trying that and I was hoping the pain might subside by Wednesday but it appears there is no chance of that. The only relief I get is a combination of pain killer and muscle relaxant but riding under that combination would definitely be a bad idea.

My friend (and intended roommate in Sparta) Mark Bayles will still be coming up and he may be bringing another Mark with him. I'm sure you'll all give them both the usual BMWST warm reception.

Hope to see everyone next Spring if not sooner.

Sorry Scott, not gonna make it to this one. :( Factors have consipred such that it doesn't make sense isn't gonna happen.

Did it ever make sense? :wave: Not to mention, isn't this the closet START/FART to your neck of the woods, in a while?

FIFY :rofl:

Yes, it is a good bit closer than any in my time on the board.

Y'all have fun, stay safe, and enjoy the dry weather! (Christo, I'm known as Chief Rain Cloud, since it tends to rain for a day or more if I attend...)

Bummer, I was hoping to see you Glenn, been awhile. I'm really gonna miss ya ......and riding in the rain.

Terry

I'm sure I can find you some rain, Terry!

Bummer, I was hoping to see you Glenn, been awhile. I'm really gonna miss ya ......and riding in the rain.

Terry

I'm sure I can find you some rain, Terry!

Sounds good Steve, we can look for some on the way up. Long range forecast is really good. I'll send you an email on what time and where we are meeting in Waynesboro.

-E_WfKXzjHCCR7dR5HjMV6HVajh8MzjIQS4mQjsgiSeEBdxAmxIUURf8DBaWgUR82GMU4MPVrnoYa1RSmOQ6qT_jq3YbMElV4QYQk7F8X_i1OUsu0o1aCNN-P4g-sfrYzRvTUuCJZ9MfxqPe1B2XEFO2KhokSHZid1Xtu5w9jhTcQbfk-AiHM0TRfC9GNeksTMyuQpwGirzzPaVqulsKNJQBzsXDKsp63yuwDCbO6HrvaJRRUfMR6A_N-yzoL1GBwF3Cs83Oa_xRU1bKL7oWGb0OjSUn1UmajlzU_PmGfCM9MI0iqKOjipBEueQpEQVCHeW0KE7HrurUNw0LGAfOKyHYdoDLdc1rH3wh8xbegQ1KjT3l84lpyBgxNfpC_HbWMB--6qhmDsRZdKyvKp0JgDrIaPEyKtSSRleZ2cQtumQRZ5C4hYpip7ML35ItTj9W61XA2-jdHLiQrLvVopceJ4CqY6eCd5vZHc2pTPmcC46eJur4346MawLZoqmB4xZfrdMTmsDIQUivL9ejixajqoOxx9Su6JVvNF-iNaxXCmC186qI9LPtj7EEYWetTKv9XxfsTfLR-An9Iqd2F-34OJagcW5EYeSAsxCK4VMspTGCmRgL=w959-h657-no?.jpg

Terry

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it after all.

My friend (and intended roommate in Sparta) Mark Bayles will still be coming up and he may be bringing another Mark with him. I'm sure you'll all give them both the usual BMWST warm reception.

Hope to see everyone next Spring if not sooner.

Sorry to hear this. Take care and get well. Happy to hear Mark will still make it (still out on Sat or staying thru to Sun?). Hope to see you soon as well.

Edited by TyTass

OK, it's officially time for me to say once again ... PEOPLE, STOP GETTING INJURED OR SICK! :facepalm:

That's all supposed to happen to other people, so we can all go ride together, right? :burnout:

Well, work has done it again--conference scheduled Wednesday-Friday. Going to miss this one fellas! See you at the START. Ride safe!

That really sucks, Steve! Hopefully we'll get to meet up for a quick Coffee Club ride before it get too cold.

Sounds good Craig!

Well, I am packed and the bike is ready.

So I am leaving in the morning, should be able to make it there by Wednesday. :wave:

I will try not to be late.

Bernie, after riding with you for many miles, I know you are a very slow, careful rider, however, I still can't believe it will take you that many days to get to Sparta from Jacksonville! :grin:

Well, I am packed and the bike is ready.

So I am leaving in the morning, should be able to make it there by Wednesday. :wave:

I will try not to be late.

Bernie, after riding with you for many miles, I know you are a very slow, careful rider, however, I still can't believe it will take you that many days to get to Sparta from Jacksonville! :grin:

:wave::thumbsup: