IGNORED

Does anyone make lowering kits for brake and shift levers for wetheads?

Runnor

Sorry to start a new thread if this has already been discussed. I searched but could not come up with an old thread on this subject.

So I have this new 2015 RT, and I want to lower the pegs and lower the shift and brake levers, but my dealer said they don't make lowering kits for the shift and brake levers yet. is this true?

John

I put the Suburban lowering kit on mine. The gear lever was no big deal. The rear brake is very different. It is way high, but I elected not to spend another $200 on a brake lever. I've gotten use to it now. It causes me to keep my foot off the rear brake pedal and completely on the peg. I guess the good news is I won't be dragging the rear brake. It is a tiny effort to reach the brake, and as I said..feels somewhat normal now.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently got a lowered peg set with rubber pads on them for my '16 R1200R from Knight Design. Priced right and easy to install. The left one works well with the shifter adjustment being sufficient to lower it to the right level. The right side left the brake lever a bit too high for my taste. So I reinstalled the original and am now riding a bit lobsided. I only needed the lowering for my left knee and it worked amazingly well. The uneven height does not bother me at all. Just came back from a 2000k ride to Americade and back. Very happy with the results of the lowered left peg :-)

Check out Knight Design for lowered pegs on other wet heads. I can recommend them, great service!

Check with Suburban Machinery for a shifter lowering device:

NEW 2-6-2016:

SLT1 longer shifter linkage turnbuckle for use with DL3N on 2014 and newer R1200RTW. Linkage rod is 0.4" longer than the factory rod. As seen in right photo, shifter and footpeg are positioned 1.5" lower.

The new linkage rod is pre-set to 4.15" in length.

I have NOT tried it.

• 3 months later...

I recently purchased Knight Design lowering pegs for my 2014RT. Nice pegs and they work well. I found this thread as I also needed to lower the shift lever and brake pedal. The shifter was easy. I lengthened the threaded adjuster a little and I am happy with the results. Lowering the brake pedal was a different story. I am too cheap to spend $195 on the Ilium adjustable brake pedal. It appears to be a great product, just a bit pricey for my taste. I noticed that there is an adjuster on the rear master cylinder rod. Why not try to lower my pedal by adjusting the clevis that attaches to the pedal? I found that I could make this work if I eliminated the lock-nut above the clevis which would allow me to thread the clevis further up the shaft. I also needed to grind off about 3/16" from the end of the shaft to eliminate interference with the brake pedal. To do this I removed the footpeg and the plate that the footpeg attaches to. The plate is held on by one bolt accessible from the back side. I used a T47 socket and a 6" extension on my ratchet. You need to reach in from above the exhaust pipe to loosen the bolt. The bolt has lots of blue thread-locker on it, so it removes pretty hard. It sounds like a lot of work, but it only took an hour or so to do. The hardest part is installing the return spring back on the pedal :eek: The results are wonderful! i love the new footpeg position and the controls are exactly where they should be.

https://pix.sfly.com/5GAMkZ

The master cylinder rod looks like this when finished

https://im1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/010036466473/media/22219599713/large/1476463264/enhance

https://im1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/010036466473/media/22219599832/large/1476463267/enhance

Foot peg plate removed and nut from the master cylinder rod. You can see why the rod needs to shortened a bit.

https://im1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/010036466473/media/22219599387/large/1476463250/enhance

Foot peg plate.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

It appears that they supply a bracket that re-positions the rear brake master cylinder to move the brake pedal lower. That is another solution that should work well.