IGNORED

Charging my phone

fabcny

Can someone point me in the right direction for understanding the power sockets on my 2001 K1200RS? I'm looking to at least charge my phone while riding.

Thanks

Medic Mike

They use a small outlet, the smarter ones here will be able to give you the exact info. You can usually pick up "cigarette" style adapters at any BMW dealer, Cycle Gear and Amazon sells them as well. They range from $15-$65, with an average of $30.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Medic Mike

Just be sure you have adequate amperage for your phone.

Newer Iphones and other smart phones require the 2.1 amp usb sockets.

Burnsmoto.com is a good source for weatherproof USB chargers,cables

www.burnsmoto.com

He is an ardent rally attendee/vendor and is a site member here and on ADVRider.

JR356

Edited by JR356
Just be sure you have adequate amperage for your phone.

Newer Iphones and other smart phones require the 2.1 amp usb sockets.

Burnsmoto.com is a good source for weatherproof USB chargers,cables

www.burnsmoto.com

He is an ardent rally attendee/vendor and is a site member here and on ADVRider.

JR356

Yep, and I highly recommend this one that I had bought from them: https://burnsmoto.com/motorcycle-bmw-hella-powerlet-din-plug-to-dual-usb-charger-shorty.php It locks into the bike's outlet socket nicely, and has ample power.

din-hella-usb-shorty-burnsmoto400.jpg

• 1 year later...

I added a cigarette-lighter style socket wired directly to the battery. I can use it with a mini air pump, or put a cigarette-lighter USB into it to charge a phone.

If you're looking at a USB adapter, pay attention to the amperage. The cheapies usually have lower amperage, and will charge your phone slower. (Or at least that's how I understand it)

Another good option if you already have a battery charger pig tail connected directly to the battery. This has the advantage of being live without the bike running.

Battery Tender USB charger

This item I have had fail twice and other riders have as well. The problem is that the USB connection is a friction connection and the spring isn't strong enough to last more than a couple of rides before it becomes an intermittent connection and then quits. Sounds like a more permanent solution is needed, perhaps soldering wires in place of the spring connection. Not sure how that will work on the Deltran/battery tender item. I've not done it yet and the rider I know who went that route used a different brand.

Drilled a hole and mounted. I set it up with constant power so that I could charge my Sena while at work, in a restaurant or wherever (can charge the phone too). I also like it because I can power the phone and sena at the same time on long rides. Methinks you can't go wrong with boat grade stuff. Edited by Living the Dream