IGNORED

The Bill Ferran Experience

TEWKS

Nice, they all have me saying... Oh yeah, I remember that part! :thumbsup:

Sorry, my Imogene got stage fright, I'll see if I can coax her out later tonight. ;)

Pat

Thanks for all the videos and photos Bill and Pat. Great views!

Really enjoyed the Monarch/Pitkin day! :thumbsup: Got me look'n at dirt bikes now...

Francois_Dumas

Great pictures guys, thanks for sharing. I used to HIKE places like that, never ride them. Looks like.... errrm.... fun. Mind you I stay on the asphalt..... usually.

Thanks for all the videos and photos Bill and Pat. Great views!

Really enjoyed the Monarch/Pitkin day! :thumbsup: Got me look'n at dirt bikes now...

Mission accomplished : )

That was fun Larry, hope we get to do it again sometime.

Here's one for you Francois, getting there on asphalt. Good to see you and Nina in Colorado. :thumbsup:

Hwy 550

Thanks Pat. :thumbsup:

Hard to believe the number of cars ya passed.

How late into the Fall season can ya ride in the area? It would be great to experience the Fall colors going over these passes.

Thanks Larry, yeah I think I figured out why I couldn't get a room at the Eureka Lodge. http://www.eurekalodgecolorado.com/ Too many Toyotas! Wasn't bad really, most of them understood we needed to pass when we came up behind them.

Bill is the expert on the Colorado seasons so, I'll send the question his way. He does seem to love September out there, though. ;)

Pat

How late into the Fall season can ya ride in the area? It would be great to experience the Fall colors going over these passes.

These are from the third week in September last year. September is usually a good bet, tho some years I've ridden into late October and once early November. It varies year to year and depends on the altitude you're shooting for. Plus after Labor Day most of the tourists are gone.

IMG_1851-L.jpg

IMG_1816-L.jpg

This is where Pat and I were talking about on the video and on second thought I think he was right about the location : )

IMG_1801-L.jpg

This is where Pat and I were talking about on the video and on second thought I think he was right about the location : )

IMG_1801-L.jpg

image.jpg36_zpswbiysnfm.jpg

I'd love to keep the credit for being right on the picture location but I think you nailed it in the video description. Oh well, back to being a C+ student for me. :grin:

Pat

Wrong picture above. I went back and watched the vid again and now believe I was right with the picture location as you stated above, which makes me wrong in my last post! :dopeslap: Yup, C+ all day long! :grin:

Pat

I have not looked at every video yet, but the pic of Black Bear looking from Imogene is always good. :thumbsup: Looking forward to riding with Bill this September if my health holds up better than my last trip. We have ridden the Silverton train twice in Sept and Oct and the views in the San Juan mountains are spectacular, especially if a little snow has fallen.

• 3 weeks later...

Dates and reservations for next July anyone? Long-way off but, I'd sure like to do some more exploring in the most awesome motorcycling state we have! :clap:

IN! :thumbsup:

1 Bill ? :whistle:

2 Pat :revit:

PS...Wishful thoughts are A-OK at this point in time. ;)

Pat

IN :clap: Maybe, if I'm still alive, still riding and can get on the bike. However, Aug or Sept might be better. Less tourists in the Ouray area if that's where you want to go again.

Pat, I just rode a two day dual sport event in Oregon. I had two unplanned dismounts within 100 yards. :dopeslap: Some blood involved in the face slapper trail of doom. :mad: Are you ready to pick up OLD GUY'S? :P

Pat,..... Are you ready. to pick up OLD GUY'S? :P

I can confirm that Pat is ready! Don't ask me how I know. :grin:

At your service, gents!

sweeping-with-broom-smiley-emoticon.gif

Pat

After Pat and the gang from Saturday left Salida for greener pastures I went over to Taylor Park one afternoon to try some single track. It was mixed results but this was one of the nicer sections. Some of you know the drill : ) if you want music click the youtube link then the video.

Flag Creek trail

Nice ride, little room for error in the first one and wow, a KTM surprise in the second one! :eek:

Ps...Mark Knopfler is pretty cool! :thumbsup:

Bill, remember the power-line ride we did when I got a little sideways on the trail, if not too much trouble, and if you captured it, mind posting or sending it? Don't remember seeing it.

Thanks

Pat

I didn't know it at the time but you really were hung out there for an instant, what one of the guys down here would call a code brown : )

what one of the guys down here would call a code brown : )

Perfect pucker moment for sure! :grin:

As with Bob's soil sampling, I think I shutdown my camera right before that happened. :( I'm going to take another look today though.

Pat

Pat, nice save. I found that the rear brake on my WR felt a little too sensitive to lockup and my new KTM as well on loose stuff. I am going to try a less grippy rear shoe set on the KTM.

Bill, nice pics from the "Ass View" camera. On the solo pics you took, you are braver than me. I have never traveled alone in the back country and it paid off in OR when I got pinned under the bike. You never know when you will have a problem where someone might have to help you ride your bike out. :rofl:

Yeah Pat, having the front wheel in one track and rear in the other is almost never a good thing : ) And that is one of the conundrums riding out there, looking at the scenery AND where you're going isn't so easy.

On the solo pics you took, you are braver than me. I have never traveled alone in the back country and it paid off in OR when I got pinned under the bike. You never know when you will have a problem where someone might have to help you ride your bike out. :rofl:

Had a feeling I shouldn't have told you that story, dammit! :grin: And brave probably isn't the right word, I can think of others..

Will post some video later but warn you I didn't get the better stuff.

Edited by roadscholar
having the front wheel in one track and rear in the other is almost never a good thing : )

Bill, that's exactly what I was thinking, right at that moment! :rofl:

image.jpg1_zpsjc1iik0n.jpg

Pat

That there is why dirt riding is one of the best teachers for street riding. An average rider would've thrown in the towel right about there, panicked a little, hit the brakes and probably high-sided. Pat stayed with it and ended up in or near those light green bushes on the left then rode it back out. The whole thing took 2 or 3 seconds to happen. Again, it was a great save but he was just following his natural instincts from years of dirt riding experience.

Came across this last week too, some may find it interesting.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/10/30/learning-in-the-dirt

That there is why dirt riding is one of the best teachers for street riding. An average rider would've thrown in the towel right about there, panicked a little, hit the brakes and probably high-sided. Pat stayed with it and ended up in or near those light green bushes on the left then rode it back out. The whole thing took 2 or 3 seconds to happen. Again, it was a great save but he was just following his natural instincts from years of dirt riding experience.

Came across this last week too, some may find it interesting.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/10/30/learning-in-the-dirt

Bill - your assessment of Pat's 2 - 3 seconds and the Cycleworld article sum up way I too believe that "dirt/off road" riding is so important for new riders and for old guys like me to do whenever possible. You constantly improve your riding skills when off the the main roads, riding at somewhat slower pace, and when making a mistake generally has minimal physical harm to ones body and/or bike.

My first 3 years of riding motorcycles, about 50 years ago, were almost exclusively off road. Those developed skills, I am convinced, have stayed with me and kept me from serious injury during many, many miles of street riding.