IGNORED

Bike Won't start in first gear

Rapala 50

I notice this past week that the RT won't start if it's in gear, and before anyone ask, yes the sidestand is all the way up. Any ideas ?

Edited by Rapala 50
I notice this past week that the RT won't start if it's in gear, and before any ask, yes the sidestand is all the way up. Any ideas ?

Evening Rapala 50

That sure points to a failed clutch lever switch (or broken wire going to the clutch lever switch).

Thanks DR, I'll take a look and see what i can find, is there a sidestand switch that might be an issue ?

Edited by Rapala 50
Thanks DR, I'll take a look and see what i can find, is there a sidestand switch that might be an issue ?

Evening Rapala 50

Usually not-- Will the engine stay running in neutral with the side stand down?

Evening Rapala 50

That says the sidestand switch is working.

So it still points to the clutch lever switch.

That switch in under the bottom plastic cover (one screw) on the L/H switch housing.

Switch is easy enough to get to -BUT!- to do it properly without cutting/splicing wires the Tupperware & fuel tank need to be removed to access the pig tail plug.

Maybe just re-adjusting the little metal lever on your present switch will help.

Also look for a broken or cut wire going to you present switch.

duckbubbles

If you have adjustable levers, it is possible to adjust it close enough to the grip to prevent the clutch switch from engaging. Happened on my ST. You can listen for the click when fully disengaging the clutch.

Frank

If you have adjustable levers, it is possible to adjust it close enough to the grip to prevent the clutch switch from engaging. Happened on my ST. You can listen for the click when fully disengaging the clutch.

Frank

There are two switches in there so If you adjust it as above the cruise control will not work.

I had that problem on my 2007 RT and was able to clean the switches with contact cleaner. That worked for a year or so then the switch failed. The new switch and cable was about $85.

• 5 weeks later...

I finally had time to remove the cover and have a look at the switch, it looked a bit dirty, clean it up with a little electrical cleaner and cotton swab and played with the contact lever and now its working fine, thanks for the help ....

Edited by Rapala 50