IGNORED

If You Were to Choose the One BMW to Ride Until You Drop?

Mike

Which one would it be?

I'm asking this somewhat selfishly. I just got a new-to-me 2014 RT, but as I contemplate semi-retirement or possibly just hanging up my spurs, I've started thinking about these things.

The RT does everything I could ask of it and more, but I'm not sure if a motorcycle of this size and complexity will be the right answer in ten or more years (assuming I make it that far).

There are a lot of geezers here who I know have faced this same question. What are your thoughts?

I'm working my way down. Currently the RT is my big trip bike but I have an F800GT waiting in the wings to take over at some point (170 lbs. lighter). After that?? Maybe one of those 3 wheel GoGo old folks scooters. :cry:

The GT is nice. Lighter, faster than my '02 RT, fairly reliable, and gets good gas Mileage. What it lacks to be perfect is a bigger tank (only 4 gallons) and an electric windshield.

So am I. I switched from an RT (1999) to an R (2015) saving about 100 lbs in the process. I don't miss the lack of wind protection, but I live in a warm climate now, so spend less time riding in the cold.

Edited by Green RT

I don't miss the lack of wind protection

I would miss it, I've been spoiled by my RT with the larger Parabellum screen on it. Fortunately the GT is pretty good in that area. All it needed was a better windscreen. I've settled on the Madstad windscreen, not as pretty as some, but adjustable and works way better than the stocker.

I dunno. As a 70+ rider, I still enjoy my GTLE and getting on the road for a few weeks. As long as I can push it around and keep it upright, I don't see the need for downsizing.

Not that I haven't thought about it.

Bibbs

I have had my Wethead RT for almost two years now. I was talking to my Son in the shop yesterday about it and his Super Tenere that we got about a month later. He would like to have an RT, they were out of his price range. I lust for a K 1600 for the engine. But, every time I come home from a long ride I think about just how all around good the RT is. MUCH better than my older RT was. I could "put up" with this bike for 10 or 15 more years. Actually it would have to be replaced due to mileage....and I should say I would be happy with another just like it. That is about as good a testament as I can give.

Which one would it be?

I'm asking this somewhat selfishly. I just got a new-to-me 2014 RT, but as I contemplate semi-retirement or possibly just hanging up my spurs, I've started thinking about these things.

The RT does everything I could ask of it and more, but I'm not sure if a motorcycle of this size and complexity will be the right answer in ten or more years (assuming I make it that far).

There are a lot of geezers here who I know have faced this same question. What are your thoughts?

Afternoon Mike

It would really depend on my intended usage--

If I was going to do a lot of long distance traveling it would probably be a late 2009 1200RT.

For just general usage with some traveling, lots of short runs, some dirt, & just cruising around it would probably be the latest pushrod engine 1200GS or GS-A that I could find.

Okay, I'm coloring outside the lines on this one so sue me.

I had way too much fun on the T-Max scooter in Italy, I can see growing old on that rig.

As a chronic victim of Multible Bike Disorder it's tough but if it had to be just one, probably the F700GS. It's capabilities far exceed it's stature in the BMW model hierarchy.

That would be my 14RT hands down as long as I'm physically capable of riding it safely , if it comes to the point that I need three wheels then I'll get a Can AM , hopefully it will never come to that , I've been on two wheels for over fifty years and have no desire to change. Bought my 14RT in Nov. 2014 and is fast approaching 52,000 miles.

As a chronic victim of Multible Bike Disorder it's tough but if it had to be just one, probably the F700GS. It's capabilities far exceed it's stature in the BMW model hierarchy.

The 7GS is my choice as well when the 12GS seems to big and heavy.

Agree with DR..has to do with regular riding. Now mostly trips of more than 100 miles minimum per outing up to as much as 500 miles per day just going to lunch and back...Answer if I keep riding that way my 2014RT which is the most awesome bike I've ever owned.

If putzing around town, coffee shop to coffee shop and was a BMW...probably the R9T. If coffee shop and the occasional 50 mile trip...probably a 800GS

If not restricted to BMW most likely the Honda NC 700X as all around bike.

I have told my wife "If I ever try and,sell the GSA, remind me it's the "one" bike."

I have several bikes, the GSA does it all the best.

I guess it would be my current '04 RT. It's the one bike that does everything.

120 mile/day commutes in total comfort, rain, shine, hot weather, cold.

Long trips

Track Days

About the only thing I don't use it for is mid summer breakfast rides with the club. For that, I have my '74 R90s. :)

RPG

I put over 2500 km on an F700GS in South Africa, and you certainly can't beat the maneuverability, versatility and economy. Adequate power, great gas mileage, very reasonable behavior on unpaved roads (even poorly maintained ones). But I weigh well under 180lb and wasn't carrying any extra gear.

If it's my last bike I might as well give in to temptation and risk losing my licence. Power corrupts.

BMW S1000XR

Mike Cassidy

Which one would it be?

I made that decision in 2012, when I bought my '07 RT, partly as a (re)learning bike, and partly to make sure that I had made the correct decision. The last time that I rode a bike, prior to that purchase, was on 1968! Decided to get back on 2-wheels again around 2006 or so, and spent the time between then and 2012 to research as to which bike will fit my requirement. That last part is what you should use to decide on your last bike, because that is how I saw it. How do you want to ride? What is your physical shape, and how will it be in the future years? both of those went into the decision making, and for me it is the wethead RT that I am riding now, at the age of 70! This is probably my last bike, unless the next major change in the RT brings forth something that attracts my attention! :)

I wanted a bike that performs and handle just as well as the last bike that I rode (and raced) in '68 - Norton Dominator 650ss. The RT fits the bill completely. I wanted a bike that has power for long rides, but yet light enough so that as I get older, my physique will still be able to handle it. The RT is the lightest bike in its class! I also want a bike with relatively low seat height, and the RT has the option that is better than any other of its type out there! Yeah, I know cruisers have much lower seats, but they don't fit my primary requirements!

The 7GS is my choice as well when the 12GS seems to big and heavy.

Another vote for the 7GS. After a demo ride a couple of years ago, I was in lust with it, but not enough to put down the Benjamins required to retire my 1999 RT.

I picked up a 2007 Yamaha XT225 a few months ago, and riding a naked bike that is almost 400 pounds lighter than the RT has been a revelation, although I wouldn't want to do an Iron Butt ride on one.

Hank R1200RT

RT. Air cooled.

When that is too much, maybe a KTM 690 or Ducati motard, Tiger 800, Bonnie (although the new 1200 may be too much), or F800-something. Or maybe #2 son will give me his G650GS.

But since balance may go, perhaps a sidehack. We can't predict our future health.

Which one would it be?

As I am approaching 60, I have asked my self the same question!

I just got my first boxer, and that is, because i always wanted one, since my teen years.

Would never buy one 10 years ago, considering the engine performance and riding position.

I think i just grew into the RT age!(am sure many will disagree with me!!) Am not sure if this is

the last bike i own, as that is for no one to know! I would like to ride a boxer for as long as i can,

physically and mentally. Not many can even drive a car properly after certain age.

Bike is much more than a car!!

After 45 years having at least one street moto at any one time (typically, multiple when they were so much cheaper), I'm down to the (sig) 2014 RT acquired 18 months ago. My conclusion then and now is that the current one is finest I've ever owned of many. Even so having reached 69 recently, I no longer do multi-day touring due to solo lifestyle shared with pooch. Longish day runs of 300-400 miles are the limit for me, while being fewer between rides as relates to changing weather seasons in these parts as well as passion for weekly 4wd trail runs in jeep wrangler (this area being surrounded by beautiful forests).

To the posed question, the "keeper" would either be the one I now have or perhaps a 1st gen R100RS like the one I had 3+ decades ago, having ordered it for delivery in Munich, ridden the Alps 3 wks, then flown home stateside. Long gone now but not forgotten. A moto like that (perhaps R90S/R100S) would simply be "garage art" design form (eye candy) than one ridden much if any. More probable, once the current RT is gone, no more to follow.

In the meantime, bought me a pristine low mileage 2013 MINI Cooper S recently, as very fun alternative to my F-150 truck or the mentioned trail jeep. Hey, no helmet required and driving gloves are optional...

I'd go back to my wife's (former) 2004 R1150R, or some variant of that bike. It's light, it's got everything you need, it does everything well, and with this huge Aeroflow shield she had on it, it had excellent wind protection also. She had removable system cases and a 52L Givi topcase too, so in seconds she could be ready for a x-country trip if need be. Still the best "all around" bike I've ever had in the stable.

nov06-056.jpg

I'm hoping that the R1100RT I just bought will serve that purpose.

I can't see myself in the position of buying a new bike at ever again .

I am also there. If only one bike then probably 700GS. I do about 70% off road and I still like to do mild single track. But I cannot see me ever having one bike. So currently I have a BMW G450x (so want the new Husqvarna 501) and for my street bike

must be under 475lbs wet ready to ride (and 450 would be better)

good dealer support within one hour.

reasonable upright riding position (but does not have to be GSA)

Currently my 2007 Tuono meets these needs. But the local dealer closed and next dealer is 4 hour one way ride. So I am looking for a replacement. So far

S1000R

FJ09

GSX1000SF

over 475 but still considering

R1200GS

KTM super duke GT

If the super duke GT was under 475 I think that would be my choice. I just test rode the FJ09 with bags and that is a very nice light weight bike. I am looking to take a GSX1000SF for a test ride. I have already test rode the S1000R a couple times.

Not sure what I will end up with, but low weight is my number one criteria.

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks ago I traded my 14RT for a RNineT and have not looked back. The RT was a phenomenal bike. Best BMW I had but since I don't tour as much I wanted somethin fun. I haven't had this much fun in twenty years.

YMMV

When the RT is too heavy, I keep thinking in this direction and feel confident that others will be bringing similar options to the table soon.

Piaggio MP3

<a href=http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m540/indycar89/s7_big_03.png.jpg' alt='s7_big_03.png.jpg'>

[/img]

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to answer this question lately as well. So, I took out some of the garage queens I had lying around for evaluation. Let's look at my checklist:

I'm stuck in Florida forever.

I'm approaching my mid 50s.

I'm not going to do it in the dirt.

I don't get the opportunity to ride other than weekends or sporadic vacations (bikes are kept 2 hrs away from where I work and live during the week)

I'm planning to work another 10 years if'n the creek don't rise.

I keep things a long time, but I have too much stuff right now.

R1100RT

Big Black Betty. Its familiarity fits like an old glove. The RT is the answer for so many that you can't go wrong if you picked this bike as your forever machine. It is beautiful and iconic. However, I am 2" shy of 6' tall and not getting any taller nor stronger so I feel the weight. She's big and she's heavy. Since it is not getting any cooler around here, more airflow would really be nice. Is it time to send her to her next owner?

R90/6

Oh man. Hit the starter and be reminded what a real motorcycle is supposed to sound like. Riding position? Does not get any better than this. Reach to the ground is perfect, low center of gravity is perfect. Did I say the RT was iconic? Not compared to this. A nearly perfect motorcycle in every way. That is except for that one thing that I really, really underestimated when I purchased it. It does not stop. OK it stops like a 1976 motorcycle should, but not like a 53 year old Madcap sometimes needs. I may be too immature for this beauty. Man, am I in trouble with it's former owner now. I made promises.

Zumo

OK, it's not a BMW, it's a Yamaha. Nor is it a motorcycle, it's a scooter. It was in the garage however, so off we went on the same hour-long evaluation run as the BMWs just went through. I grinned. Saw more scenery than I remembered was actually there. Throttle pegged the whole way. 56, 57, 57, 57, 58, 58, 58, 58 - never hit 60 even through I was tucked in pretty good. Yes, riding something small 10/10ths is damned fun. Bwaaahhhhhhhh. Killed the Beemers in turning radius, MPG, stopping distance and ease of use. It's got a cup holder. That said, I picked up no chicks whatsoever. Ah, it's not even mine anyway so back in the garage it went. But I do get it when scooters are in the running for one's preferred retirement conveyance. Add HP, and I would not be too cool for school to ever say never.

So what's the verdict? Hell, I don't know. I've been moto shopping seemingly for 10 years looking for that one bike. I know I can ride all damned day long if I want/need to, but I don't just want to own capability anymore, I'd rather go for something that beckons. I had a Street Triple, but it was too small, uncomfortable and too frantic at highway speeds with its wheelie gearing and mini wheelbase. Fun though.

If it's a BMW, it's got to be an R1200R I think. Total versatility, can still eat squids for breakfast and not be a handful at the end of a touring day. Goes and stops, and I'm pretty sure I can keep it running for a long time. Just got to find one without those hideous gold forks.

That's my pick.

I cannot think of a BMW I would want to ride until I drop. honestly out of all those I have owned and its a good number I never really cared to keep any of them.

My 15 R1200RT is going up for sale as soon as the title arrives and I just got it in December. I did enjoy the R9T but didn't have time for riding while owning it, I kept a C for almost six years and bought two afterward but have none. Never really cared for any of the 3 K bikes I owned.

While BMW makes some technically excellent bikes they don't have long term appeal to me, they just get boring

I know what you mean, BUT, when I ride the bike, I am reminded of why I got it in the first place. I've owned other types of bikes and they always came up short in some way, braking, acceleration, ride, range, ergos, whatever. With the RT, I have a lot less to complain about. It would be nice if BMW lessened the required maintenance and they sort of have, but it's not enough. I think BMW would make high maintenance electric bikes.

I've had my R1200GS for six years and like it more than any other bike I've owned in 40+ years of riding. That being said, it's heavy and has a high center of gravity. I'm old and getting shorter.

Although the bike was lowered at the factory, I will look into lowering it even more. If that works out, the GS may be my last bike. Otherwise, the search will begin.

Bob