IGNORED

Introduction

Ozzyal

G'day guys , I've just joined the forum. I have owned a few beemers over the years and have just bought a R1100RT off eBay sight unseen :read: I had one from new 20 odd years ago, but life got in the way and I sold it . Always promised myself I'd get another one .

Wish me luck.

Welcome, Alan. Great group of folks here on this board.

I'm on my second R1100RT as well and I'm still having a ball riding it. Best of luck with yours.

Congrats and welcome. It was a R1100RT that got me into BMW's and have never looked back. The RT are truly great motorcycles. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
:clap: It's finally arrived . Very clean , I have arranged the temp reg permit so tomorrow I'll take it for a test run . :bike: The only problem I can see at the moment is I cant seem to get the radio working . I have power and volume but nothing on the display screen . If thats my biggest problem I'm a happy man :Yes:

There is a four digit security code for the radio. You must have that to get the radio working. It's been several years since I had my 97 RT, but that is where I would start...

Yes I have the code . But the screen display is blank and doesn't seem to be accepting the input. I may try pulling it out and putting it back in to see if it asks for the code then . It's not the end of the world, I can live without a stereo on the bike

I'm going from several year old memory, but I don't recall that there was any 'prompt' to enter the code. The radio did not work and you pressed a couple of the tuning? buttons on top and entered the code and like magic, the radio started working. Check your manual or any manual on the correct sequence and buttons to use to enter the radio code.

I have tried every thing the manual says . My only thought is that maybe the book I have isn't for my bike . Just one the dealer had lying around. Like I say . No big deal really. I listen to music through my headphones connected to the mobile phone anyway and usd phone gps/maps .

I'm not positive I have a handle on the radio issue you're having, and I have zero experience with having to enter the code.

However, on my 06, 9 times out of 10, when I turn on the radio, it does not 'start'. I have to wait about 5 seconds, then I turn it off again, and back on and it works fine.

When the radio is functioning, it goes through a brief 'boot mode' and you can see that on the main bike display. You'll see "Radio" come up on the display and then "BMW" below "radio". The "BMW" then turns to the radio station or track number if playing a cd. When my radio fails to start, it will display the "Radio", but fail to bring up the "BWM" and it just does nothing until I turn it off and back on.

Does anything show on your display when you press the "on' button? What happens if you turn on the radio and put in a cd?

Thanks DR , that's what I've been trying with no joy .

Dave , mine is an old radio cassette, no display on dash . The screen has back light , but no numbers displayed, presets aren't registering anything. I think its just cactus fellas. I'm pretty used to listening to tunes through the phone which also acts as my gps . Its all good. I'll remove the old radio and have a lockable glove box .

Only other problems I've found is the fuel gauge isn't working and neither is the trip meter. Fuel gauge I can live without as most aren't very accurate anyway. Figure I'll check the wiring when I get around to the fuel filter change . I've pulled the dash apart and sprayed the bejesus outta the wire cable that connects the reset dial to the speedo . It's working but I'm not sure for how long . I think I'll leave it apart and keep applying WD40 for the next 24 hours .

• 2 weeks later...
Only other problems I've found is the fuel gauge isn't working

Uh oh. This prompts a few questions. Does it show less than full and is stuck at that reading? If that is correct, are you getting a whoosh sound of air at your fuel filler cap when you open it to refuel?

Jake . No reading at all in fuel gauge, also no great whoosh when opening the filler . I'm not overly worried about it. My trip meter is now working so I can estimate range reasonably well once I have worked out my fuel consumption .I'll look more closely at this when I get around to changing the fuel filter, maybe the previous owner stuffed something up there .

So , the first decent ride on the RT was last weekend. Met up with a group off an internet forum here . Met some great people and was introduced to some very twisty roads I didn't know . I was the oldest rider on the oldest bike by a long way . Keeping up with that crowd on the big old girl took some doing. I soon got into a good rhythm and managed to keep up with the young guns . One of the young blokes was quite surprised that I'd caught up with him by the first stop . He thought I'd bought a knife to a gun fight . :rofl: