IGNORED

battery jump starter recommendations

dasstr

Wondering if anyone is carrying a portable battery jump starter with them in their travels? If so, which one and would you recommend it? We have 10 bikes of different makes - BMW, Honda and Triumph. Been looking briefly, but would like to hear your experiences.

TIA

I studied for a long time before purchasing mine. There are some good threads on ADV forum. Of course, there are many opinions too. One common problem however is the bulging and splitting of the case and danger of a fire of many of them. I finally made up my mind and purchased an EarthX jump pack. They use a different chemistry battery which can withstand higher heat and has fewer dangers, and made in the US. So far I am very pleased with it. It does not have as many options on different charging ports for other devices, only gives one usb charging port for phones etc. I have yet to jump a bike with it, but have used it on my lawnmower and several cars and even pick-up trucks and it has worked everytime.

Thanks for the input. I did check ADV forums and other motorcycle forums that I have joined. Didn't like the reports of bulging and splitting, and also the warranty problems associated with the Anti-Gravity units. I will check out the EarthX unit.

Debbie

Lots of these things available; check price and reviews, then make your choice. There is a tradeoff between size and capacity, but look for the largest mAh hour rating your can find, at least 14,000. I thought about packing mine for the UnRally, but decided it was overkill. After 2 years, the case looks fine, no signs of bulging. I have only used it once, to test with a VTR250, and the engine turned over very quickly.

Sorry, I'm on the road, and don't remember the make/model, but it ran around $70 2 years ago.

I have one of these.

It works, and works well. I've had mine for almost two years now. It jumpstarted three bikes and charged countless mobile phones. Zero problems to report and if not used will hold its charge pretty much forever.

They now have five models to choose from, so you may find something that suits you.

I received one of the antigravity microstart packs some years ago - shortly after they started selling them I believe. The original one I received - shipped directly from them - would not take a charge. I don't know if it was the charger or the battery pack. I returned it and got a replacement.

Over the years I used it to jump maybe half a dozen vehicles or so and it always worked well. A couple of months ago I used it to jump my RT and after that the pack is now refusing to take a charge again. I don't know if they will replace it or not as I haven't had time to ask. I'd imagine I'm outside the warranty period and certainly don't have a receipt on hand. In any case it's a bit frustrating to have a thing like that only work six or seven times, so While I will certainly replace it, I will probably go with another brand if antigravity does not offer a warranty replacement.

I received one as a gift several years ago. It failed to charge after a while, and i never did use it.

I fail to see the purpose of these. They look convenient and all, but the lifespan of the battery and/or the individual charge just isnt enogh to justfy the cash outlay or time fooling around at home charging the thing every couple months, on the off chance that you'll need it "some day".

For the bike, bump starting is easy and convenient most of the time, it's free, and there's nothing to carry.

Personally, my money is better spent on maintaining the bike properly, instead of cute "insurance" widgets.

Had one a few years ago, switch failed, never replaced.

The way I look at it, what is the cost of a dead battery? If you have multiple vehicles, not all new, and no garage to easily use a charger, they make some sense. I live in a condo, do not have a garage or ny 115AC outlet available near my vehicles, and had five vehicles in the family at one point. Charging the bike usually meant removing the battery.

Bump starting is less of an option nowadays with fuel injection. And a hill is a useful feature (if you are at the top!)

Only have two plus the bike now, less need. But The price may be reasonable depending on the cost of a dead vehicle to you, balanced against the time and trouble to get it started.

Good luck,

I have one of these.

It works, and works well. I've had mine for almost two years now. It jumpstarted three bikes and charged countless mobile phones. Zero problems to report and if not used will hold its charge pretty much forever.

They now have five models to choose from, so you may find something that suits you.

Same unit for me. I use it for everything from jump starting boats on our lake, charging phones, and recently, to power up my Celestron computerized telescope. Couldn't be happier with it's performance.

RPG

"For the bike, bump starting is easy and convenient most of the time, it's free, and there's nothing to carry. "

I have been led to believe that you can't bump start a bike with an electric fuel pump and a dead battery. I have been told that fuel injection is problematic with no electricity. Are these urban myths?

I was told these things after many attempts and huffs and puffs trying to start my dead RT one day.

Bump starting can't work with a totally dead battery and fuel injection - you'll have no fuel and the computer can't initialize. I've tried to push start my RT with just a low battery (lights worked, would not crank). Even using the upper gears, I could not overcome the high compression of those big twin cylinders on level ground. It started immediately with a jump from a car.

Try it before you rely on it.

I use this unit on longer trips, but mainly to recharge my phone and laptop. I recharge it in my tank bag on the road, the battery clamps are stored under the seat, just in case. Extra adapters are left at home. Comparable to a Micro-Start XP-1 - one USB port instead of two, 2/3 the cost.

Edited by lkraus