IGNORED

UNRally XVI 2017 - Where?

TyTass

Well we are starting to narrow this down!

"Mount Craig, 6,647 feet (2,026 m), is the second highest peak of the Appalachian Mountains and second only to 6,684 feet (2,037 m) Mount Mitchell in eastern North America. It is located in the Black Mountains in Yancey County, North Carolina. The mountain lies just north of Mt. Mitchell and is within Mount Mitchell State Park and the Pisgah National Forest.

I had no idea what the word "eponymous" meant: Definition of eponymous: of, relating to, or being the person or thing for whom or which something is named : of, relating to, or being an eponym. Craig you are an Eponym! :thumbsup:

No, because the mountain is named for ME! :dance:

Terri and I went to Mt. Mitchell ... oooh ... almost 10 years ago ... and while driving through the parking lot we saw the sign for Mt. Craig. So, we got the hankerin' to hike over to the mountain named after me. ;) It's just one mile, but there are warnings on several signs that it's a VERY strenuous one mile. Not far as the crow flies, and the trail is incredibly beautiful, but it plunges down steeply and then rises up just as steeply. It was a major b_tch ... and we were in waaaaaay better shape back then.

Here's Terri before we doffed the riding gear, back in the parking lot at Mt. Mitchell. Mt. Craig is the mountain behind her. The rocky summit is where the marker is located.

IMG_1124-L.jpg

That's a great picture. :thumbsup:

MB>

Thanks. I like this one with the ole BMW SportTouring Tshirt ... and also shows the Mt. Mitchell parking lot off my right shoulder.

IMG_1143-L.jpg

Edited by TyTass

While on the way to, or from, or perhaps during the UN, you just might see these from a distance, although purposefully designed to be hidden despite their height. However, they are worth the cost of a climb to see them up close.

IMG_1196-L.jpg

Agree - Biltmore Hotel, Ashville, NC

Well, just to be pedantic, it's not Biltmore Hotel ... it's Biltmore House. :cuz:

There are a couple of Inns on the property, a winery, and a lot more, but Biltmore is actually the summer home of George Vanderbilt and is the largest home in the USA. I've taken the rooftop tour and it's fascinating. The technology incorporated into the home, both interior and exterior, is amazing. GV is generally credited as being the first to adopt managed forestry.

I shot a Christmas commercial for Belks on the rooftop of the Biltmore.

They set up after closing to the public, lighting Christmas trees and adding fake snow. We started shooting at 2:00 AM and wrapped at 7:00 so they could put it all back for the tours a few hours later :wave:

Well, just to be pedantic, it's not Biltmore Hotel ... it's Biltmore House. :cuz:

There are a couple of Inns on the property, a winery, and a lot more, but Biltmore is actually the summer home of George Vanderbilt and is the largest home in the USA. I've taken the rooftop tour and it's fascinating. The technology incorporated into the home, both interior and exterior, is amazing. GV is generally credited as being the first to adopt managed forestry.

A few years back, the BMW RA held their rally on the grounds. I really enjoyed the experience. What a fascinating place.

While on the way to, or from, or perhaps during the UN, you just might go whitewater rafting on this river, which sounds a bit like "Child's Play," or a number of even more thrilling rivers in the area. What river is this?

IMG_0056-L.jpg

Looks like the raft is from the Nantahala Rafting Company in Bryson City which looks awesome BTW! :thumbsup: So, the river must be either the Nantahala, Ocoee or the Toccoa?

Pat

Looks like the raft is from the Nantahala Rafting Company in Bryson City which looks awesome BTW! :thumbsup: So, the river must be either the Nantahala, Ocoee or the Toccoa?

NOC is all over the region and there are many more whitewater options.

Yes, an amateurish try it was. :grin: This keeps up much longer and we're going to be forced to call in the Big Gun! :thumbsup:

Meet the Road-inator! ;)

IMG_3032-L.jpg

Pat

Yes, an amateurish try it was. :grin: This keeps up much longer and we're going to be forced to call in the Big Gun! :thumbsup:

Meet the Road-inator! ;)

NO! NOT the Road-inator! :eek: ANYTHING, but the Road-inator!

Haha, very funny fellows. :grin:

Sorry Pat, I have to disqualify myself on the grounds I managed to pilfer more information than my security clearance allows : )

I had a hunch on the region early on but not the location. I'll just say that the organizers have done a fine, fine job. :thumbsup:

While on the way to, or from, or perhaps during the UN, you just might go whitewater rafting on this river, which sounds a bit like "Child's Play," or a number of even more thrilling rivers in the area. What river is this?

IMG_0056-L.jpg

Nolichucky.

Nolichucky.

BINGO! And well done. :thumbsup:

Edited by TyTass

While on the way to, or from, or perhaps during the UN, you just might get off the bike to see these two places. What are they and what do they have in common?

Honeymoon%202%20168-L.jpg

i-fCjhScv.jpg

The were part of the film the Fugative. The dam is Fontana dam and the trainwreck is in Dillsboro.

For the film, they wrecked a train and then left it there.

The train wreck is from The Fugitive it is in Sylva NC The Dam is the Chehoa Dam also from the movie and is in western NC downstream from the Fontana Dam

Basically, you got it, John, but Richard had the town more correct ... Dillsboro. There were two trains, a before and after shot, and two busses, again before and after, both of which were painted to indicate Cook County Dept. Of Corrections.

You know more about The Fugitive than I do...and I was in it :thumbsup:

They filmed the formal ballroom scenes in Chicago in 1991

Harrison was hitting on some of the girls in the runway show, but I stepped in to save them :rofl:

Base on the latest mountain recognition technology it has been determined that the picture posted above is a once hidden mountain range recently discovered in central Kansas.

Here is Mount Sunflower, the highest point in Kansas at 4039 ft. Looks like a hoot for riding :bike: . We'll see you all there. :rofl:

PVz2nXG3TuVTvPJR2ViIcxIlDqqDyBFCZ6irVKZKKFA4rvZEpBT5hXLfFu9vRcw3y_hPVEd7T_5lyg=w2560-h1440-no?.jpg

4000 ft? Do we need oxygen for that rarified air? That's more than 11 times the highest point in the Sunshine State (Britton Hill @ 345 ft)! Lake Superior is 250 feet higher! Safe to say FL is not in for an UN location, ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Craig, pedantic? Say it ain't so!