IGNORED

Surging? I need answers!

old n slow

Quick and to the point. Will the hex head RT be prone to the surging issues I experienced witn my 98 RT. Sold it and bought a Concours14. After experiencing the Concours motor, I will have zero tolerance for a less than perfect engine. But, the ergonomics on the Connie arent quite as good as BMW.I am thinking about going back to BMW!

Have had no surging on either my '06 RT (now with 233K miles) or my '08 RT (now with 47K miles).BTW, I always use REGULAR grade fuel, as I normally don't push it very hard. The only time a higher-grade fuel is needed is when rider asks for high power.

Sergio has been MIA since the 2004 twin spark 1150 RT. :grin: Perfection is an allusive creature but, the 2014 and up Wethead RT comes pretty close. :revit:

Pat

Morning old n slow

To answer your basic question--NO to the surging as they are dual spark engines with cam sensor controlled independent spark & an o2 sensor per cylinder.

But, they can have some flat spots in the torque curve & don't like to pull good below 3K. There were also some knock sensor calibration issues on some of the earlier hexhead 1200RT's

BMW addressed some of the early 1200 hexhead flat spots & sluggishness with a BMS-K update & recal.

The late 2008/2009 1200RT hexheads ran pretty darn good.

Thanks folks....going to check out an 09 this week end. I told the wifey that if there is a significant difference for the better, in wind protection and less turbulance, that I could tolerate a less than perfect motor.

She/we are not quite happy with the wind protection on the Connie...we were spoiled by our R1100Rt!....but that surge thing with the RT made me sell it!

Evening Mike

You will really like the engine power & throttle control on that 09 1200. Just keep RPM's at 3K & above for smooth engine power.

About the only thing I don't like about the 09 1200 is the somewhat high first gear that makes it a bit touchy to launch on an uphill riding 2 up.

As a note, if you lambda-shift the R1200 with either LC-2s or AF-XIEDs, you get a better launch and smooth engine operation down to about 2000 RPM.