IGNORED

Replacing suspension

temesvar

The more i look into it, the more i have difficulty deciding what

should i get to replace the suspension on my 2008 RT. Should i

keep the ESA? Also would like to lower it a bit. I mostly ride solo.

Was thinking Ohlins, but now Wilbers and HyperPro with ESA..

Intend to do the replacement my self. Any advice, as well as

any experience, positive or negative, is greatly appreciated.

This year I replaced the shocks on my 2006 RT (60K miles) with Wilbers NON-ESA. Two reasons, I was getting ESA errors (which I was able to clear by cycling the shocks with 12V) and cost. Plus I never change the pre-load for the most part (always 1 up with luggage) and rarely changed the rebound (left it mostly in sport mode and as the shocks wore, I *always* left it in sport mode).

I struggled with it, but ultimately decided to go with it manual shocks and other than they were delivered from Wilbers not really adjusted right, I've been happy. The bike rides nicely enough on both highway and twisty roads that I don't feel the need to change the rebound at all.

The pre-load is under the seat and easy enough to change that I'm quite happy with both the setup and price.

Overall a good upgrade. Ted Porter talked me out of the Ohlins due to the life of the shock.

I installed Ohlins myself on my ESA '06 RT before it got to 5k mi -- a very big ride and handling improvement over OEM shocks. To me, when you you have premium shocks the only advantage of ESA is its pushbutton convenience of preload adjustment. But spinning the manual preload knob on the Ohlins takes only a minute.

I switched out to Ohlins and the difference is unbelievable. The handling in corners is effortless, the bumps are gone, and my confidence for riding has increased. I always used to think about how to handle corners, the approach, the lean, and the power through. If there were bumps in the corners I used to get a little nervous as the bike became unpredictable. Now all of that is gone. Sometimes I go through corners and think after the fact, "wow, all I did was lean."

I have read really good things about Wilbers and my mechanic sells Hyper Pro (he swears by them). I think you will be very happy with any of these shocks. As for switching out ESA, can't help ya.

A standard set of Ohlins on my '11 RT lowered it around 1/2 inch. Plus, when adjusted to recommended settings, gave a better, more controlled and compliant ride.

Frank

Was suggested to go with Tractive ESA1.

It is supposed to be plug and play and make

use of the OEM ESA controls.

Anyone's experience with this set?

First, call Ted Porter's Beemershop and talk to Ted. He'll explain all the options. I bought Yacugar non-ESA shocks from Ted, preset from the shop. I am extremely happy with these shocks. Yacugars are easily rebuilt, also. I live without the ESA happily.

Dave Long

2006 R1200RT

Look up reviews for Touratech Suspensions: they are made by Tractive.

In my opinion they are (at least here) grossly overpriced compared to ESA alternatives from Wilbers and MUPO.

A set of two shocks for €2600? Not even Ohlins has the galls to ask for such a ridiculous amount of money.

Oh yes, you don't need to send your shocks to have the electronics swapped. Big deal. It took about three hours to swap the electronics on my Wilbers: I dropped them off at 9AM and they rang me at noon saying the shocks were ready for pickup.

Otherwise just have it done when the cold season has arrived. ;)

Edited by Kakugo

A set of two shocks for €2600? Not even Ohlins has the galls to ask for such a ridiculous amount of money.

Oh yes, you don't need to send your shocks to have the electronics swapped. Big deal. It took about three hours to swap the electronics on my Wilbers: I dropped them off at 9AM and they rang me at noon saying the shocks were ready for pickup.

Otherwise just have it done when the cold season has arrived. ;)

Thanks for your help!

Am not sure if we are talking same set of Tractive ESA1. Maybe installed! I was

quoted much lower than 2600 Euro!!That is like can$3800 or us$ 2900!! I would

never pay that much. Although,it may just cost quiet a bit after shipping and

custom duty to Canada... Intend to do it my self, and will not wait for the cold

season! My garage is not heated, and i like to ride when is cold, as long as there

is no snow or salt on the roads.

All the best!

Edited by temesvar
First, call Ted Porter's Beemershop and talk to Ted. He'll explain all the options. I bought Yacugar non-ESA shocks from Ted, preset from the shop. I am extremely happy with these shocks. Yacugars are easily rebuilt, also. I live without the ESA happily.

Dave Long

2006 R1200RT

Am sure we ALL can live without ESA, but am a sucker for gadgets!!

Al the wiring is there, the controllers! So, why not? Will go with

Tractive, at Ted's suggestion!

Look up reviews for Touratech Suspensions: they are made by Tractive.

In my opinion they are (at least here) grossly overpriced compared to ESA alternatives from Wilbers and MUPO.

;)

So i understand you have Wilbers. Did you just install them , or had them rebuilt? ESA?

How do you like them, and if rebuilt, how long did they last?

Tractve ESA1 is pricey, and have to send in the rear motor, as they

don't come with it.And that will be another 2 weeks at best, shipping back and forth.

All this time, bike will be sitting in the garage.