IGNORED

Dynamic Motorrad LED bulb replacements

swilson

I thought I'd post up some info on using these Dynamic Motorrad LEDs on R1200RTs. Not so much as a review of them, but just so you can be better informed before choosing to buy or not.

Before purchasing I read a few positive BMWST posts of guys using them on their R1200RTs. I also went to the Dynamic Motorra web site. They've got some photos showing their LEDs vs. a stock bulb on what I'm guessing is a R1200GS. The photos make the LEDs look incredibly bright in comparison. This was not the result I saw when using them on a R1200RT... which is my main motivation for this post.

I think the RT uses larger bulbs than the bike used in their sales photos. The stock RT bulbs put out much more light than the stock bulbs in their photos.

Here's the way the rear looks. The LED is on the left and the stock bulb is on the right. The LED is marginally brighter.

rear.jpg

Here's a video clip of them in action.

You'll notice the LEDs are essentially instant on, instant off. No warm up or warm down time on the bulb. So while the LEDs aren't significantly brighter than stock, you are benefiting from having them at full brightness for a longer duration than the stock bulb. That, in my opinion, makes them still a worthwhile upgrade.

For the front turn signals I had slightly different results due to the positioning of the LEDs in relation to the reflectors. If you looked at the turn signals straight-on, the stock bulb was noticably brighter.

front.jpg

However, when you look at them from an offset position, the LED was noticeably brighter than the stock bulb.

Here's the LED

front_LED.jpg

Here's the stock bulb

frontstock.jpg

Here's a video clip of them in action.

If you do decide to buy you can thank BMWST member "The Rocketman" for posting up coupon code: BMWMOA, which was still working as of 2 weeks ago.

Morning Scott

LED's are usually pretty bright at night or in the shade but some fall short in the bright sun light.

How does your new LED's compare in the bright sun light?

A few riders in my riding club have switched to LED's & some of us have a difficult time seeing them in the sunlight.

I think these are definitely a high quality LED bulb replacement that puts out slightly more light than a stock R1200RT bulb. Just don't expect them to be dramatically brighter, like they're web site photos suggests.

I was somewhat disappointed with Dynamic Motorrad! I emailed them twice, was wondering if the bulbs are Weisslicht Spectrum.

No response, so i posted the same question here: Ironically, "The Rocketman" mentioned that they are a Weisslicht dealer,

and also about the coupon code. So I purchased the bulbs, and for my disappointment, noticed that they are the cheap bulbs

you can buy for half the price!! Now i know why they avoided a response to my question!!

If i may add here, since you are replacing your bulbs with LED,i suggest a pair for the brake lights.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-can-bus-led-bulb-26-smd-led-tower-ba15

They are a LOT brighter than stock!! Will need load resistors.

I bought two, but only one is enough to keep the lights warning off.

If i may add here, since you are replacing your bulbs with LED,i suggest a pair for the brake lights.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-can-bus-led-bulb-26-smd-led-tower-ba15

They are a LOT brighter than stock!! Will need load resistors.

I bought two, but only one is enough to keep the lights warning off.

I didn't think there were any LED replacements that would work on a R1200RT brake light because they use a single filament bulb and vary the voltage to change the brightness for tail light vs. brake light.

Evening Scott

Lots of LED's will change intensity with voltage & pulse width (time on).

Most need some sort of added resistance to prevent the light-out warning light from coming on.

The big thing with LED tail/brake lights is to find bulbs that face the LED's in the correct direction to get the light to shine out the rear with good clarity & intensity.

I didn't think there were any LED replacements that would work on a R1200RT brake light because they use a single filament bulb and vary the voltage to change the brightness for tail light vs. brake light.

Those are the bulbs i have on my 2008 RT. Had the light out warning on board, added just one resistor and all is good now. Bought two resistors, since there are two bulbs. But after installing one, checked, and was no need for the second one to install. Next i would like to connect the Skene controller to the brake lights, therefor to have the 4 flashes before brake light stay on, as well as the conspicuity flicker for tail light. That flicker works only with LED bulbs. Left is the original bulb, right LED(needles to say!! :) ) It is just as bright as when the brakes are on, but believe me, when brakes are on, they ARE noticeable!!

parts-16258-picture67554-img-0519.jpg

Good to know, thanks!

I added the BMW aux taillight/brake light last week. The one that mounts using the license plate bolts and sits right below the license plate. It doesn't have the brief strobe effect that the older style one on my work bike has when I activate the brake, but it is definitely brighter. It's bright enough that I don't plan to make any other brake light changes.