IGNORED

No member with RT question

frederick

Just finished a weeks ride in Colorado on a rented RT. Enjoy the bike so much, I'm trying to purchase one.

Found a 2013, beautiful bike, but not standard. Comes with the factory lowered kit, no ESA, Olin shocks instead. Also has an aftermarket seat-Bill Meyer. I am 5'8".

Good choice? Or should I stick with the standard ESA bike.

I much prefer a quality standard suspension.

I am currently working on upgrading [my opinion] my 15my RT with ESA.

I have had both Ohlins and Wilburs on my previous RTs.

How many miles are on this RT that you are considering?

Lucky You, what better place to ride than Colorado??

Whoever has the bike, already molded it to his preferences,

but that should suit you just fine, since you are 5'8"

Ohlin are great shocks, if both front and back, so much better.

I never tried it, but many say Bill Meyer makes the best seat

there is. I am thinking about ordering one from him myself.

As for the ESA, you will find that most owners think the OEM

is crap, me included! I feel no difference what so ever, i don't

even know if it works! The bike you rented had ESA?

After market shocks are expensive, and much better than OEM.

Does the bike have cruise control?( i love that gadget!!) TPS,

(tire pressure sensor, like that to!) alarm. The bike is only

3 years old, and the owner has spent money on. Why is he selling it?

If it was me, i would buy it, if the price is right!

Good luck!

you will get a lot of answers I suspect. It's more personal than science. I love the ESA on my bike and would not trade it for non ESA if someone would give me the shocks. What I like about ESA on my bike. I can adjust for multiple load of people, luggage, and road conditions. I can do that with the push of the button and if I don't like it after the button push, I can push it again. On my water bike it also continually adjust for road conditions.

On a prior bike I had manual shocks. I would set them for what I thought I wanted, ride a few miles, didn't like the setting and would have toe either live with or get off, kill time, adjust again. When you go from long, smooth, and straight with maybe an intermediate setting to more challenging roads and bumps, I can switch the ride back and forth within a couple of seconds.

No doubt the manual shocks are good....but I'm not expert nor do I want to spend the time adjusting them.

Edited by Skywagon

I have had several bikes with Ohlins suspension. Every one was better than the brand new OEM units they replaced. Might ask how may miles are on those Ohlins, if they were bought new. They recommend a service at 25K; I don't think it is super expensive and make them good as new. Might also verify spring rate is what you need. Bill Meyer makes a good saddle.

Larry

Edited by fastlarry

It almost sounds like you're describing my bike (no it isn't for sale). Low suspension, extra-low (one piece) seat, which precludes ESA. I'm 5'5", 29" inseam. I specifically did not want ESA; just something else that would break, and I would never make use of it. I now have Ohlins on it; at first I thought they didn't make any difference, then I realized the wheels were staying planted better. I may adjust them some yet. If you go with an aftermarket seat, that will likely raise the seat-height some. Probably not a problem for you.

Enjoy the new ride!