IGNORED

Dex is riding into space again.

enfoman

Some years ago we were updated and saw our dex ride into space and work on the shuttle. In just about twenty minutes,a resupply orbitor will launch from Virginia in tribute to dex who passed on from cancer I believe. So fly again dex, we are behind you all the way. If we are lucky, the plume of the accent can be seen on much of the upper east coast from wallops island va.

Edited by enfoman

Thanks for sharing this. Dex died in an unfortunate accident, but the cause isn't nearly as important as the loss of an accomplished man who is greatly missed. This is a very nice tribute.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Article here. The spacecraft is in fact named 'SS Alan Poindexter', which is pretty cool.

Alan Poindexter, the late astronaut who was posthumously honored with the christening of the OA-5 mission Cygnus, helped to install the European Columbus laboratory on the space station in 2008 and commanded a cargo mission to resupply the outpost in 2010.

It's interesting that 'SS' used to stand for 'steam ship' but now stands for 'space ship.'

This picture always made me smile:

346091371_B6GHV-L.jpg

That's a BMWSportTouring.com business card he's holding - in low earth orbit. :grin:

Time to let out another Dex story.

In the Fall of 2004, sad news reached our board that fellow member and GS riding fool Bill Hawkins had suddenly passed away. Bill was in the middle of a ride of his life in the French Alps along with his good friend David Bearden, another crazy Tennessean and board member. I'm sure they were alone because nobody could keep up with those two.

Board Proprietor David Baker spread word about Bill's memorial services taking place in Nashville and a few of us were able to attend. Amongst those who had met Bill previously was Dex. Dex, starting his prep for his shuttle missions and not one to have a lot of time to spare, sure made time for Bill.

While the weekend was about Bill, it sure was an interesting side-tale to watch Dex arrive. He did not ride his GS from Houston, it just wasn't the tool for the job given his time constraints. No, Dex came in with a T-38 strapped to his back. Urged by the airport controller who said he'd be coming in low, loud, fast and with almost no notice (we were at a regional airport), we went out to the fences adjacent to the runway to watch the show. In no time, Dex and his NASA T-38 came screaming in. He pulled up nearby, shut it down and gave us a brief tour of the aircraft. It was a cool thing.

Getting into the car, Dex took a deep breath, sighed loudly, looked at all of us with a friendly smile and said "I love my job!"

Yes. Yes you do.

I was always impressed with the affinity Dex had for all of us. Our members were his getaway - his respite from a very busy and demanding world - and it was valuable to him. Glad to see him fly again, even if only in our memories.

• 2 weeks later...

Great story, Jake! Thank you for sharing. I remember reading about Dex's tragic passing here - what a loss. Wish I'd had the opportunity to meet him.

Alan Poindexter, the late astronaut who was posthumously honored with the christening of the OA-5 mission Cygnus, helped to install the European Columbus laboratory on the space station in 2008 and commanded a cargo mission to resupply the outpost in 2010.

Also from the article Mitch linked:"We think it is very fitting that Alan is the namesake for this particular Cygnus. We are very honored to have his name and picture as a part of this spacecraft," Culbertson said.

• 3 weeks later...