IGNORED

Fuel Leak

Rinkydink

Bike is an '09 RT. Went in my garage this am to ride to work and a pretty strong gas smell greets me. I figure a lawnmower gas can tipped over etc. No dice. It's coming from beneath the RT fairing. I had my recall done 2+ years ago or so. Here's to hoping I just have developed a hole in a fuel line or something simple. I was running late so I couldn't do anything but fear the worse driving to the salt mines. If I do have continued fuel pump woes I wonder if "the corporation" will assist some.....me thinks I'm probably SOOL.

I told the wife I ought to go ahead and ride it, let it catch on fire and get the new 16/17 RT I want anyway.

Edited by rinkydink

Afternoon rinkydink

I have seen a couple of 1200RT's do this even after the recall & support band.

The pump pass through boss still split even with the band installed.

My guess is either the threaded boss is cracked & leaking OR the "O" ring in the pressure side quick disconnect is leaking (probably due to removal & re-installation during the recall if the tec didn't hold the trigger all the way down during removal & reinstallation).

My '06 RT had the fuel pump replaced under recall rather than just having a band installed around the cracked flange, but apparently that's a judgment call by the dealer's local BMW rep. I'd insist on a new pump.

That happened to mine, failed after recall was done but in my case it wasn't actually done. I had put the ring on I purchased here long before the recall. Dealership at the time told it was a better solution anyway.

It started leading anyway this summer and the dealer installed a new fuel pump at no cost to me.

Your fuel pump flange has cracked and is leaking despite the brace BMW put there. It's exactly the same scenario that happened on my brother's GS.

At least here BMW has both provided a new fuel pump and paid to have it installed but there's a catch... when my brother had the fuel pump replaced he had to wait several weeks for the spare to turn up as apparently the new and improved (metal flange) fuel pumps are in heavy demand due to the cheap fix BMW implemented not working as well as they promised.

Yes, it is the fuel pump. What is my best course of action to be reimbursed? It is my time of year to ride. I'm going to t/w my closest dealer (216 miles) tomorrow and get the parts on order.

Edited by rinkydink
Yes, it is the fuel pump. What is my best course of action to be reimbursed? It is my time of year to ride. I'm going to t/w my closest dealer (216 miles) tomorrow and get the parts on order.

Morning rinkydink

Call the dealer & talk to them. There might not be any reimbursement required as they should just repair it for you. BUT, they might have to pre-order the parts so it might take two trips and/or leaving the bike at the dealer.

Thanks Dirtrider. I have it at an independent local shop here in town. The mechanic there is BMW certified. I'm calling the dealer first thing this morning. Reimbursed or not it has to be fixed. She is mad at me for even thinking of buying a new bike.

Edited by rinkydink

Morning rinkydink

There WAS a BMW letter sent out to owners of 1200 bikes on how to apply for reimbursement if you had the fuel problem repaired independently (I have one somewhere so if you can't find anything let me know & I will PM you a copy when I find it & get near my scanner.

Thank you sir. I just received word that they did replace my fuel pump on May 5 2014 (per my recall documentation) and it only has a 2 year warranty. Grrrrr. $935 out the door. I call BS!!!

Afternoon rinkydink

I don't think that I would accept that as final word without a very intense fight with BMW customer service (or higher if needed)

I would probably try to get my States attorney general involved also.

There is a note at the bottom of my 1200RT recall letter saying: If your BMW motorcycle dealer is unable to remedy the defect WITHOUT CHARGE that you should notify the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 1-888-327-4236

Or to contact BMW customer relations service dept @ 1-800-831-1117

Edited by dirtrider

Thanks for the info. Yes, I will fight tooth and nail. Just got off the phone with BMW customer relations and they said no dice.

Just got off the phone with NHTSA. My case is started. I would be interested to know how many people in the board had pumps fail a second time AND was it 2 years after the initial repair/replacement? Wish me luck.

Just to be clear....If the fuel pump had just quit pumping fuel I would pay for the replacement no questions asked. Mechanical things breakdown. I'm cool with that. Replacing the defective part with another unimproved part is another matter.

Edited by rinkydink
Thanks for the info. Yes, I will fight tooth and nail. Just got off the phone with BMW customer relations and they said no dice.

Just got off the phone with NHTSA. My case is started. I would be interested to know how many people in the board had pumps fail a second time AND was it 2 years after the initial repair/replacement? Wish me luck.

Just to be clear....If the fuel pump had just quit pumping fuel I would pay for the replacement no questions asked. Mechanical things breakdown. I'm cool with that. Replacing the defective part with another unimproved part is another matter.

BMW's customer service is schizophrenic. I had the pulleys on the throttle body break out of warranty and no dice would they pay for it. Some guy in Dubai just posted on AdvRider had the same thing and they paid for it. John in VA on this board had a K1600 in warranty where a fuel pump died. BMW wouldn't cover it. Said he didn't ride it enough. His dealer went to bat for him and a few weeks later BMW relented. You can't tell what those crazy bastards will cover or won't.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to post an update. She is back on the road with a new fuel pump and my semi local dealer went to bat for me. My parts $$ will be reimbursed and I will pay labor only because I used a local independent mechanic. I am happy with that and turning the odometer again.

• 1 month later...
lawnchairboy

My '06 had the pump collar reinforcement ring installed but subsequently has developed a leak. At the dealer, they will replace the component. My '11 GS has the collar as well.

• 3 weeks later...