IGNORED

PR4 Wear?

moshe_levy

All-

My new routine is now almost 100% commuting. New job, no telecommuting like the old one - 108 miles per day, every single day. So now that I'm slabbing it and rarely going on trips where handling actually matters, I'm looking for long wear above all else. Currently running PR3s which look like they have another 2k in them (12,000 total on them now - they should make it to 14k comfortably, possibly 16k at a stretch.)

In the old days on the Oilheads, I used to run Metz 880 for maximum commuting wear. The bike used to ride like a cement truck, and definitely gave up some dry and wet grip, but 20k wasn't a problem in slab commuting.

My initial research shows me Metz isn't making the 880 in the Wethead sizes, so I'm wondering how PR4s have been wearing for you guys.

Yes, I know comparing wear rates is a futile exercise, like comparing insurance. The asphalt compounds by region, type of riding you do, pressure you keep your tires at, weight, etc. etc. all render apples to apples comparisons totally impossible.

So let's NOT compare mileage vs. what I'm saying I get - instead I'm just looking for ballpark like, "My PR4 are lasting longer than my PR3 did." Because by definition that will help me gauge about where they would be vs. my PR3 on my commute. Or other recommendations for long-wearing tires, even if grip and performance are sacrificed. So far on RTs over the years, I've used Metz Z6, Z8, 880, Bridgestone something or other, and Michelin PR3. The PR3 are by far my favorite so far, and last as long as anything except for the 880s on my Oilhead (~14k expected vs. ~20k.)

-MKL

Edited by moshe_levy

OEM Bridgestones lasted about 8K and had a little left on them. PR4 (on third set now) are getting roughly 8-9K on them. I am doing between 75-135 miles a day before traffic so with the speed limit being 70 I am doing 80-90. Flow of traffic is usually 80.

Alan

I found roughly the same ratio with the PR3s. The Bridgestones were toast after 12k - the PR3s will be toast at 14k. That's about right. I wonder how the PR4s compare.

I wonder how the PR4s compare.
When they were introduced, it was claimed that the PR4 rear compound was a medium/hard shoulder/center whereas the PR2 and PR3 rear was soft/medium shoulder/center. I got more mileage out of the PR4 on my '11 RT, but not massive.

Frank

I'm assuming your asking about GT variants. If so my first set of PR4GT I changed out at 11,500 miles and while there was ample tread left they made a lot of noise when corning due I'm sure to the prodigious cupping especially on the front tire. The cupping was well underway by 2000 miles running the tires at the manual recommended 36/42 and change. At the behest of my brother on our 10K mile x-country trip this summer he suggested change to 40psi on the front. I was concerned about traction so I compromised a little and put 39psi in the front and I can say this appeared to retard further cupping such that as I say I got 11,500 miles out of both front and back. There was substantial squaring on the rear at that mileage but w/ a fair amount of straight riding that is to be expected. The x-country ride was mixed high speed slab and ample 2 lane curvy roads and 2 lane sweepers.

I have 5K miles on the 2nd set now and run the front at 40psi from the start--virtually no cupping. Plus bonus, w/ 40psi in the front turn ins are easier/better.

PR4GT's quieter than by PR3's, even better hold in the rain than PR2's. Not sure on mileage yet as typically got 12-14K on the older PR's and only have 11K so far on the 4GT's with much more left.

Wear and tear: that's what I am interested in.

How many miles your tires lasted under what driver 'profiling' conditions you ride the most.

I need longer lasting tires...the longest lasting tires.

All-

My new routine is now almost 100% commuting. New job, no telecommuting like the old one - 108 miles per day, every single day. So now that I'm slabbing it and rarely going on trips where handling actually matters, I'm looking for long wear above all else. Currently running PR3s which look like they have another 2k in them (12,000 total on them now - they should make it to 14k comfortably, possibly 16k at a stretch.)

In the old days on the Oilheads, I used to run Metz 880 for maximum commuting wear. The bike used to ride like a cement truck, and definitely gave up some dry and wet grip, but 20k wasn't a problem in slab commuting.

My initial research shows me Metz isn't making the 880 in the Wethead sizes, so I'm wondering how PR4s have been wearing for you guys.

Yes, I know comparing wear rates is a futile exercise, like comparing insurance. The asphalt compounds by region, type of riding you do, pressure you keep your tires at, weight, etc. etc. all render apples to apples comparisons totally impossible.

So let's NOT compare mileage vs. what I'm saying I get - instead I'm just looking for ballpark like, "My PR4 are lasting longer than my PR3 did." Because by definition that will help me gauge about where they would be vs. my PR3 on my commute. Or other recommendations for long-wearing tires, even if grip and performance are sacrificed. So far on RTs over the years, I've used Metz Z6, Z8, 880, Bridgestone something or other, and Michelin PR3. The PR3 are by far my favorite so far, and last as long as anything except for the 880s on my Oilhead (~14k expected vs. ~20k.)

-MKL

My PR4's are lasting significantly longer than my previous PR3's. First set of PR4's just replaced at 17k. My previous PR3's got about 14k I believe.

I'm like you. 120 miles/day slabbing it from Detroit to Lansing and back. (God help me!)

RPG

RPG

Tire wear is subject to many variables such as road surface (chip n seal eats tires), speed, tire pressure, temperature, weight (two up riding) to name a few. The question to ask in my option is what's the difference in percentage of wear between tires.

Jay

• 4 weeks later...

I've only gotten about 7k miles on any of the tires I've run so far, which included stock Metzeler Z8's, then Pirelli Angel GT's, then PR4GT's, and now Metzeler 01's (heavy spec).

The 01's are my favorite because of how the bike handles with them (responds more quickly to lighter inputs, bike feels more playful). They are not as quiet as the Angel GT's, which were the quietest of the bunch. They feel solid in wet conditions.

If the 01's last at least 7k miles I will buy them again because of how the bike handles with them mounted.

My PR3s are now up to 13,500 miles. They still have some meat on them. I'm going to take them until the end and then get PR4s.

-MKL

I have run PR4s on my 04RT and my present 14RT and get an average of 10,000 miles can occasionally get 11,000 before changing. Keep in mind inflation pressure is critical as to how many miles you'll get .

• 2 weeks later...

I been running 40/42.5 per advice on another forum promoting this to be the optimum longevity wear PSI on the PR4. I am hoping for 18 to 20k...well, I am dreaming about it ok.

I agree...you might be dreaming.

GT

+1 on the sweet dreams! But if you find a way to get 18K to 20K out of a tire on the RT please let us know!!

maybe you could get somewhere near that with the right kind of road surface and some particularly careful riding...

...But, it would be Soooooo boring!

I am running 40/40 and not commuting, but wide variety of riding, summer and winter, seem to get 11,000 to 12,000 before I change them, but they still have another 2-3 left but usually I need to change cause I am headed out on a long trip and don't want to change in route.

I'm at 14k now on them. Still going to push it further. Tire sales at dealer cover me Jan-Feb, so before spring I'll swap. But let's see how far this can go.

-MKL

I'm at 14k now on them. Still going to push it further. Tire sales at dealer cover me Jan-Feb, so before spring I'll swap. But let's see how far this can go.

-MKL

WOW ... 14K is great and more to come!! That is a Christmas gift for sure!

14K+. I actually bought them used from some guy on Facebook who had them on a GS and switched to knobbies. He said there was about 500 miles on them. I have no way to tell if that's true or not, but they looked good when I got them, and for $175 for the pair I couldn't resist. The front still looks like it has at least 2-3k. The rear is getting near the end, but nothing to worry about yet.

-MKL

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't anywhere near that kind of mileage.

Probably has something to do with my right hand.

Too much of this kind of riding !

Comparing mileage is a waste of time, like comparing insurance rates. There are SO many variables: Road surface, type of riding, tire pressure, weight of rider, style of riding, etc. etc.

Here in NJ the highways are smooth and the asphalt is very mild - no glass bits here. So tires tend to last awhile on commuting duty, which is nearly all of my riding these days.

(When I rode out to the midwest on an x-country, my tires barely lasted 7,000 miles - half of what they last here. The primary factor is asphalt IMO. Out there the road surfaces are seriously rough!)

As for Jean-Pierre, I met him 10 years ago. He's amazing!

lr6.jpg

-MKL

Edited by moshe_levy
Comparing mileage is a waste of time, like comparing insurance rates. There are SO many variables: Road surface, type of riding, tire pressure, weight of rider, style of riding, etc. etc.

Here in NJ the highways are smooth and the asphalt is very mild - no glass bits here. So tires tend to last awhile on commuting duty, which is nearly all of my riding these days.

(When I rode out to the midwest on an x-country, my tires barely lasted 7,000 miles - half of what they last here. The primary factor is asphalt IMO. Out there the road surfaces are seriously rough!)

As for Jean-Pierre, I met him 10 years ago. He's amazing!

lr6.jpg

-MKL

LOL .... I can't tell you how many times I have tried to explain to folks that you really cannot compare insurance rates where there are a dozen of factors and was thinking the same thing for tire wear! For me if I can get +/- 12,000 miles out of a rear tire I am happy. But I realize that at times it maybe 11,000. Also, when you factor in the cost per mile and the savings of trying to squeeze out an extra 500 miles for me it is a safer bet to just replace them. Getting say 15% more miles means a 15% cost savings and if a set of tires costs $400 that means saving $60. It is not worth the risk to me for $60 to get the 15% or less wear savings. I think of the cost if I get a blow out at 60 MPH !!

p.s. Met Jean-Pierre at I believe it was Vintage days when BMW was the features marque. He really is amazing and a nice guy!

Edited by RTinNC

I'm going to coast into Jan. No more work after today until new year, so heavy commuting mileage comes to an end until 2017. Jan-Feb tires and installation go on sale at the dealer, plus free pickup and delivery if the roads are iced up. So for all intents and purposes, I made it.

-MKL

• 2 weeks later...

If all the time we spent discussing tires and oil we spent riding instead, we'd increase demand for tires and oil enough to boost the economy in oil producing nations, rubber producing nations, nations that refine petroleum and manufacture tires, nations that ship commodities and finished products worldwide, communities where we purchase our tires and oil, as well as mom and pop diners that cook the breakfast and bake the pies we eat when we stop for a rest while we're out riding...

Pretty amazing impact when you think about it.

:-)

Yes, but this time we spend discussing is when we're pretending to work at our jobs - we can't ride during this time!

-MKL

Damn, they just won't die. We had some snow and ice in the past few weeks, so I haven't commuted every day with the bike, but it's warmed up so I'm back on - now close to 15k on these, and they're still not bald. I think I may be able to hit 16k. Incredible. I have until the end of Feb before I will definitely replace, since the dealer is holding a winter sale on labor.

I understand the PR4s are supposed to wear even slower. Happy, happy, joy, joy!

-MKL

Edited by moshe_levy
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys....New to this forum...59 years old, 2 years on a '14 RT pushing 33K and counting 100+ hyw miles/day commute and have put 24K on my PR4GT's. Definite flattening in the middle of the back tire (front no issues and good tread left) but they still grip well. I will replace them next week with another set. I don't ride aggressively (ride to live to ride another day) and usually ride to see how far I can get out of a tank of gas (actually put 6.75gal in the 6.6gal tank...20 miles past zero range!...crazy but true :dopeslap:

So I got this strait. You have 24 Thousand miles on 1 set of PR4 tires?

I am all over that if that is what you are saying. Can not beat that wear ever with any tire!

• 2 months later...

My '16 RT came with PR4 GTs. Went in for my 6000mi service and the service manager did a walk around and then asked me if I wanted them to install the new rear tire. I exclaimed no, that I only have 6000mi on it. He then showed me the rear was down to the wear bars! Yea, I inspect my tires often and keep pressure at 40-42lbs .... I just never even thought to look for that kind of tire wear at that mileage. I ran a set of PR4s (not GT) on my previous '05 RT and the rear lasted over 10,000. So I replaced the GTs with the regular PR4s and will see how long they last. If they don't last me longer than 6000-8000mi then I plan on trying the new Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs.

...the service manager...asked me if I wanted ... new rear tire. I...only have 6000mi on it.

I ran a set of PR4s on my previous '05 RT and the rear lasted over 10,000. ...

Maybe it is a wrist calibration issue. These new bikes have SO much MORE punch than the older bikes, if that extra oomph is used, something has to give. The most likely thing is the interface where that power gets laid down. It seems to me that we can't have it both ways.

2.5k on the new PR4-GTs. In retrospect I would have gone with regular PR4s. The GT variants have a stiffer sidewall, and you really feel it on the bumps. The smooth, plush ride has been replaced by a harsher feel - not worth the tradeoff. The upside is I have 2.5k on the new tires, and they still have those new "nubs" on the tread. It's amazing. These will top 20k, for sure.

-MKL

My 2016 came with Z8's, which were discoloring in the center (about to show cords) at 4000 miles. They were replaced by PR4 GT's, and that's the first thing I noticed about them - they were markedly stiff and rough riding.

I got ~ 25% more miles out of the Michelins - the center tread was just barely clear of the wear bars at 5000 miles.

The Rocketman

9392 miles on my PR4's and the rear is at the wear bar and needs replacing.

I think I'm going to try the Avon Storm 3D X-M this time or just get another PR4.

Edited by The Rocketman
My 2016 came with Z8's, which were discoloring in the center (about to show cords) at 4000 miles. They were replaced by PR4 GT's, and that's the first thing I noticed about them - they were markedly stiff and rough riding.

I got ~ 25% more miles out of the Michelins - the center tread was just barely clear of the wear bars at 5000 miles.

Mine came with Z8s as well. I only have about 1200 miles on them. I'll have to see how they wear. I had PR4s (non GT) on my 2005 and I they didn't seem too harsh.

The Rocketman

Just pulled the trigger on an Avon Storm AV66 3D X-M rear tire from Rocky Mountain ATV for a great price $ 148.88 and free shipping. Have had Avon Venom's (NLA) on my cruisers and averaged 14-16,000 miles (really). I know they're different bikes than my R1200RT. 9,000 out of a PR4 seems pretty average, so no harm in trying a different one this time.

Plus, these Avons come with a free road hazard warranty AND a 15,000 mile pro-rated wear out warranty:

Tread Wear Protection – US POLICY

Eligibility

This warranty applies to the original purchaser of a replacement Avon Cobra and Storm 3D X-M Motorcycle Tires (“Tires”), is nontransferable and applies only if an Avon Motorcycle Tire has been purchased as a replacement for the eligible product. This warranty applies to those Tires operated within the continental United States. Tires are covered for a maximum of 2 years from the date of purchase and must be operated in normal service on the same vehicle they were originally installed. Motorcycles pulling trailers, or with sidecars, used in racing, off-road, abused or subjected to a dyno are not covered. Proof of purchase is required for all warranty claims. Additionally, Tires must be the size, load index, and speed rating equivalent or greater than that specified by the motorcycle manufacturer and installed on an industry approved rim width. For additional warranty exclusions see “WHAT ISN’T COVERED” in the Avon Standard Limited Warranty that can be found at http://www.avonmoto.com/warranty/standard-warranty.

What is Warranted

The Tires are only warranted against tread “wear out” if worn out prior to the indicated mileage:

•Avon Cobra – 15,000 miles / 24,000 kilometers

•Storm 3D X-M – 15,000 miles / 24,000 kilometers

This Tread Wear Protection Policy is prorated (there is no free replacement) based on mileage received, and is separate from the Standard Coverage & Extra Coverage Warranties. No manufacturer or dealer can guarantee you a certain number of miles from a given tire. Riding habits, riding conditions, tire and vehicle maintenance all play a part in the tread life of a tire and all differ with each purchaser. The Tread Wear Warranty is available provided the eligibility above is met and:

1.You are the original purchaser

2.Your Tires were registered at www.avonmoto.com/mileageregister within 10 days of original purchase

3.Tires were installed by a retail motorcycle dealership

4.Eligible Tire is returned to Avon Tyres North America for adjustment

5.Within 10 days of your replacement purchase, you present the following:

•Completed Claim form (attached), completed and signed by your dealer;

•Original proof of purchase or receipt, date of purchase; and

•Purchase receipt of your new Avon replacement.

If the Tire wears to the tread wear indicators in less than the miles warranted, a pro-rated adjustment will be made according to actual mileage delivered. Your adjustment credit will be awarded on a gift card that can be used on purchases where credit cards are accepted. A cash refund will not be extended in lieu of the above. This credit will also include reimbursement for the reasonable freight costs involved getting the Tire to Avon for inspection. (Reimbursement for freight only applies to standard shipping. No air freight, special delivery, etc.)

Credit will be determined by subtracting the miles received from the miles warrantied then dividing that total by the miles warrantied and multiplying the result times the current selling price shown on your receipt.

EXAMPLE: (15,000 miles warrantied – 8,500 miles received) / 15,000 miles warrantied = .43 this is the percent of the credit you will receive. If a new tire cost $220 then your credit would be $220 x .43 = $94.60

Adjustment credits can only be awarded if a replacement Avon tire is purchased. You must pay for mounting and balancing and any other additional charges, such as taxes or the acceptance of a higher priced replacement Avon tire.

OWNER OBLIGATIONS

Proper tire and vehicle care is necessary to obtain the expected wear from a tire. You are responsible maintaining proper tire inflation and load in accordance with motorcycle owner’s manual, tire information, placard and restrictions molded on the tire sidewalls. Check inflation pressure frequently and inspect for damage or irregular wear.

"Tires must be installed at a Retail Dealership" ruined any chance of me owning a set of these tires. I looked closely at them and think they may well be a good tire. I have had one set of Avons, liked those well enough. But at the price point these are, there is simply zero reason for me to pay more for a tire that isn't proven to out mileage others in that price range. Or the $126.35 Bridgestone T-30 Evo that I am having really good luck with.

The Rocketman

For the $30 or $40 installation cost my guy charges, it doesn't seem too bad. I use DynaBeads, so save a few bucks on balancing. Guess if I get less than their proposed 15,000 miles over the next 2 years, I can use the credit to get another one, or may switch back to the PR4 or something else later on. With 3 bikes in the garage, the mileage is spread out pretty well, so I may hit the time constraint before I wear them out.

Always the dilemma is price vs. longevity vs. stickiness. Right up there with the dreaded "oil thread" :)

duckbubbles
I use DynaBeads
If you have Tire Pressure Monitoring the Dynabeads may not be able to adjust the imbalance caused by the wheel sensors, they are 2.5-3 oz. each.

Frank