IGNORED

Brake Disc Bobbins (Roller Pins) R1100RT

Rohan

Hi Guys,

I Need Advise. I have the BMW R1100RT and on the Front Disc there is Roller pins a.k.a "Bobbins". These bobbins is starting to wear and I need to replace Them.

BMW Wants to Charge me a arm and a Leg for those Bobbins. There is in total 24 Bobbins (12 per side)

I Would like to know if someone have ever replaced the R1100RT Front Brake disk with the Front disk of the R1150RT (Which is a Solid Brake Disc - Without Bobbins)?

Or does someone Know where I can order Custom Made Bobbins for Less than What BMW want to ask me for one? (Please Note i am In South Africa so preferably a Place that can courier nation wide)

Kind regards

Edited by Rohan

Back in the day, I ordered replacements from a place in the UK named Motobins. They shipped them to me in the USA, so I would imagine they would do the same to South Africa. They were much better quality than what BMW stuck on there originally. It took away that annoying clack and rattle from the front disk.

It looks like they still offer them (Part No.20393)

LINK

Thank you very much for the response. I was thinking of maybe even replacing the Front Breaks completely with the Front brakes of the R1150RT as the R1150RT have a solid Brake disk. Do you Think this will work as I am a bit sceptic on bying the 2 disks etc. before knowing if it will even work.

My RT is standing on 334 000 km and is still going strong so I believe it will easily make 500 000 + km.

So my point of view is now that if I can replace it with a Solid disk i almost never have to replace Bobbins again.

Hi Rohan.

Motorworks is good.

Their bobbin kits are straightforward and easy to fit.

Do your discs need replacing? If so, do this at the same time.

At the same time, buy some of their Goodridge brake hoses.

The 1150 discs are not solid. They are bolted with floating washers.

Stick with the 1100 set up. It works well.

Cata Dan also sells them - here is a link to his webstore, directly to the bobbins (scroll down and you will see that the bobbins come with clips now as well):

http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3821625

He is also a member here, and while I don't know if you could swap the discs (my thought is probably not without a good bit of work or other parts swapping), I'd ask him as I think he would have a good answer.

His price is just a bit higher than Motobins (you need two sets from them vs just one set from Dan) but that might be changed with shipping as I didn't compare them.

Here's my thread on replacing mine:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=924397

I did that right before 100,000 miles - if you get that many more miles out of a new set, that should take you right to 500 000 k anyway, yeah? So if that's your goal, maybe you can get by with an easy job and USD 70 and not have to worry about it.

josh

+1

The kit from Cata Dan is great. I replaced the front bobbins on my R1100RT two years ago at 125K miles. They've worked flawlessly since.

The Cata Dan kit is $77 (US) for 24 bobbins, including the shipping. He also no includes E-Clips in the kit.

Rohan, have you measured the thickness of the rotors? Mine were under minimum spec @ ~100,000 miles. If you need to replace the rotors, Beemer Boneyard has new EBC rotor kits that include the bobbins.

Product Description

Brand new set of two EBC floating 305mm (12") front rotors. These are precision made stainless steel rotors with anodized aluminum rotor buttons. An excellent value compared to buying new OEM BMW rotors which cost over $800. Will fit the following bikes: R850/R1100R/R1100RT/R1100RS bikes with stock cast wheels.... You must transfer your existing ABS ring to the new rotor for ABS bikes.

With a heat gun to soften the Loctite, this is a very easy job; 30 minutes start to finish.

Edited by Selden
Thank you very much for the response. I was thinking of maybe even replacing the Front Breaks completely with the Front brakes of the R1150RT as the R1150RT have a solid Brake disk. Do you Think this will work as I am a bit sceptic on bying the 2 disks etc. before knowing if it will even work.

So my point of view is now that if I can replace it with a Solid disk i almost never have to replace Bobbins again.

Afternoon Rohan

The 1100RT & 1150RT use different diameter front brake rotors (same thickness).

You might be able to use the entire 1150 front brake assemblies (rotors & calipers) but the ABS system is different between the 1100RT & 1150RT so the ABS system won't be properly balanced & might not respond properly at near lock-up conditions.

Best to stick with proper diameter front brake rotors.

+1 on dirtrider, you cannot interchange 1100 and 1150 brakes, unless you do a complete swap - forks, rotors and calipers.

I hope it will not be considered advertising, the ones I make are grey anodized and come with stainless steel e-clips :)

Dan.

• 1 year later...

I just replaced my bobbins with a new kit from Cata Dan and was wondering why the originals have three different ones on each rotor, with an internal spring clip. What ‘a the purpos of these? The Cata Dan set are all the same without the spring.

Jerry

I just replaced my bobbins with a new kit from Cata Dan and was wondering why the originals have three different ones on each rotor, with an internal spring clip. What ‘a the purpos of these? The Cata Dan set are all the same without the spring.

Jerry

My recollection is that the spacers were to be reused with the new bobbins and clips- I believe he originally sold the kits as just the bobbins and recommended to reuse the clips and spacers/washers. He's quick to reply to emails - I'd shoot him one and ask your question directly.

The question from JerryHale is about the BMW bobbins with spring clips. Three out of the twelve on each rotor have them. You're referring to the spacers that went under the e-clips on the BMW original set. I also just installed the Cata Dan kit. They are plenty tight without any spacers. I think the OEM spring clip bobbins were used to keep the set taut as they started to wear. Dan's description of his kit says they aren't needed.

Yeah I used Dan Cata's kit last summer. I was getting a rattle rattle sound as I rode slowly over a gravel parking lot. Kit was great, installation was easy. No more rattle. I did paint the heads of the aluminum bobbins black, that was my only modification. Dave