IGNORED

Where's my Big Speedo?

moshe_levy

Hi All-

Something odd happened today - the "RT" logo in the main portion of the dashboard at bootup wouldn't go away once bootup sequence finished. It just sits there now, and as you know that space is usually a big speedo (unless you're navigating the various menus.) So now my big speedo is gone. I shut down and rebooted several times - no difference. Any ideas? I put a picture of it on the MOA site on Facebook if interested.

-MKL

Nevermind - I found it. The gremlins in the machine switched the "speedo" to "logo" in the menu settings. I dug a little deeper and found it.

-MKL

Well, that is still 3 demerits for you!

After being around some newer bikes with digital displays.....I wish the RT had a large digital MPH readout where the "analog" speedometer is now. I don't use the analog hardly at all. My V STrom has a digital speedo readout. Love that. BUT....the 2014 Super Tenere has a digital tachometer and I along with my Son simply HATE a digital tachometer. Much prefer the round gauge with sweeping needle for tachometer.

But, I digress......

Well, that is still 3 demerits for you!

After being around some newer bikes with digital displays.....I wish the RT had a large digital MPH readout where the "analog" speedometer is now. I don't use the analog hardly at all. My V STrom has a digital speedo readout. Love that. BUT....the 2014 Super Tenere has a digital tachometer and I along with my Son simply HATE a digital tachometer. Much prefer the round gauge with sweeping needle for tachometer.

But, I digress......

At least we can assign that spot to a digital speedometer. I would guess close to 100% of users (who knew you could set it up that way) use the digital speedo almost always. Here's a digression for you: what's really missing in the new RTs is LED headlights. I'm assuming that's coming w/ the next major revision.

Edited by NoelCP
Here's a digression for you: what's really missing in the new RTs is LED headlights. I'm assuming that's coming w/ the next major revision.

Not on my RT! I have many thousand miles on the LED in it now ( post on this forum ) and wouldn't go back at all.

No, I disagree with all of this. I don't care about LED bulbs (because in my case I can see Mars with the amount of lights on my front end.) What I'm mad about is the lack of "info at a glance" available on the dash. Temp, for example. My Hexhead showed me temp ALL the time, even as it showed me range, speed, etc. etc. Here you have to toggle - only range, only temp, etc. And then temp pops in when it gets cold automatically, and you can't see your range anymore, etc. It's stupid. Even my friend's basic R1200R has more info permanently there than my RT. I would start by having temp there ALL the time. That's important info when you commute around here.

-MKL

Edited by moshe_levy
No, I disagree with all of this. I don't care about LED bulbs (because in my case I can see Mars with the amount of lights on my front end.) What I'm mad about is the lack of "info at a glance" available on the dash. Temp, for example. My Hexhead showed me temp ALL the time, even as it showed me range, speed, etc. etc. Here you have to toggle - only range, only temp, etc. And then temp pops in when it gets cold automatically, and you can't see your range anymore, etc. It's stupid. Even my friend's basic R1200R has more info permanently there than my RT. I would start by having temp there ALL the time. That's important info when you commute around here.

-MKL

Are you talking about engine temperature or air temperature? I like to know both and often switch between them. My major complaint (on an R wethead, not RT) is that you have to scroll through some 8 options on the info switch. I would like to be able to turn some of them off, like average fuel consumption. The only displays I use are engine temp, air temp, tire pressure, and range, and I am always switching between them.

My. '07 has a temperature guage. I still have no clue what it is telling me other than when the engine temperature has changed. There is no indication of what too hot is. Rather useless really. I got the engine hot once and I knew it by other methods.

My. '07 has a temperature guage. I still have no clue what it is telling me other than when the engine temperature has changed. There is no indication of what too hot is. Rather useless really. I got the engine hot once and I knew it by other methods.
On my 2015, the engine temperature is interesting. It runs at about 84 C anytime I am moving steadily, pretty much independent of the air temperature. Stopped in traffic it will go up to 100 C and I can hear the fan kick on. The water cooling makes for a much narrower operating temperature range which I would guess they took into consideration in designing the engine. I would expect it to reduce the need for valve adjustments and extend the life of lots of things in minor ways. I don't know if that is borne out by experience. The water cooled engines may still be too new for much user experience.

Odd coincidence. I read Moshe's post just this morning and I was wondering why the logo would reset all by itself.

On my ride home from work this evening, I was rolling down the road enjoying a beautiful late fall evening (in Seattle, that means it wasn't raining - yet), when all the sudden, there was a flash on the display. I looked down and watched all of the lights on the display go dark, the tach and the speed both rotated to zero. After a couple of seconds, the screen came back alive as if it were just starting up in the driveway. The whole time the instrument panel is rebooting, the bike is humming along without missing a beat.

When everything comes back online, the display is different. First thing I noticed was that the digital speedometer was replaced by the RT logo. Some of the other things I noticed: the handlebar heat reset to 0; the multifunction display was reset to the first selection (avg mpg).

The whole thing was very strange and the fact that I read the post by Moshe at the beginning of the day was even more curious. I hope this is the first and last time I see this problem.

I've been trying to find that as well on my 2015 RTW. I have the graph bar gizmo on the left side but I have never seen any temperature in numbers. When you find out how to bring it up on the screen please post that. GT

If I read correctly, he has an R, not an RT.

"Are you talking about engine temperature or air temperature? I like to know both and often switch between them. My major complaint ****(on an R wethead, not RT)**** is that you have to scroll through some 8 options on the info switch."

They all seem to show different info. For example, look at all the info you can get from a GS via the GPS:

Start watching at 3 minutes:

You can't get 25% of this info on an RT. Why? I dunno...

-MKL

If I read correctly, he has an R, not an RT.

"Are you talking about engine temperature or air temperature? I like to know both and often switch between them. My major complaint ****(on an R wethead, not RT)**** is that you have to scroll through some 8 options on the info switch."

They all seem to show different info. For example, look at all the info you can get from a GS via the GPS:

Start watching at 3 minutes:

Bummer!

You can't get 25% of this info on an RT. Why? I dunno...

-MKL

-MKL

+ 1 bugs the "ell out of me!

I just wish they would release Nav V software to port the My Motorcycle data that displays for GS/GSA including Ambient Temp & Tire Pressure so we could expand the desktop as it were. Such a waste--the data is there they could easily do it for RTW. They even have engine temp and TPM is displayed out to one decimal.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-17%20at%204.28.55%20PM_zpserfwult1.jpg

Edited by NoelCP

Yup. That's what I showed in my Youtube link above. But that's icing on the cake. Let's get the basics - seeing ambient temp all the time without having to choose between that and other must-see stuff like range.

-MKL

I don't think it's an issue with the Nav V. I think the code just isn't in the BMW firmware. I thought I read somewhere a RT rider sticking his Nav 5 on a GS and it showed the data.

I don't think it's an issue with the Nav V. I think the code just isn't in the BMW firmware. I thought I read somewhere a RT rider sticking his Nav 5 on a GS and it showed the data.

I did it. Put in on my buddy's new GS and all the info was there.

GT

Let's get the basics - seeing ambient temp all the time without having to choose between that and other must-see stuff like range.

-MKL

Never going to happen w/ yours and mine RTW's. BUT, BMW could put the software out to have that data ported to Nav V, and THAT I would argue might be possible since the data is already collected. Likely it's just a software change and what a stupid thing to eliminate by design. I know the dash is bigger w/ RTW and the data can display when toggled, but to leave off porting to the My Moto app in Nav V was just a Value Deleted design decision that you can't rationalize beyond they thought it didn't matter to the end user. Certainly not going to change to GS to get that!

Agreed. I just felt a little ripped off as I bought the Nav V basically just for that screen because I thought it was cool. It never occurred to me to check to see if the GS/RT screens matched up. I just ASSumed they would. Anyway, lesson learned.

-MKL