IGNORED

2017 r1200rt

Oku812

I wanted to introduce myself as a new forum member. I'm in my upper 50's. Been riding Harley touring bikes for a number of years. Last February after some research, I decided to try a 2016 r1200rt and found it to be a phenomenal bike. Quick, excellent handling, and a fantastic suspension.

Took a ride out to the dragons tail last October from Texas. I rode out there myself and then later met some friends in Arkansas. For me, the r1200rt has been a joy to ride, it's an amazing machine.

Last week I parked the bike in my normal motorcycle parking area at work. When I came out I found where a guy in a truck hit the bike, knocking it over and did some damage to several parts. Long story short I went ahead and traded for a 2017 r1200rt. Carbon metallic. I don't have many miles yet, But the I can tell there are definite improvements to the gearbox. Smoother, quieter, and the shift assist is a bit smoother. Other than that, the 2017 is the same as the 2016. I'm glad to be a part of this forum, and I hope to contribute as well. Thanks, Bill

Bill,

I agree with you, my 2014 RT was plenty quick enough, handled very nicely, and the suspension was good enough, although I thought it was a bit harsh at low speed.

However, I sold my 2014 RT WC, too many annoyances...

One of the anoyances was the transmission shifting action in the lower gears.

I recently test rode a 2017 GSA. That bike has the same transmission as your 17 RT. I agree, it seemed, during my test ride anyway, to be a noticeable improvement over the '14.

More like what I'd expect it to be.

Enjoy.

Edited by DMilan

I rode Harleys for forty years and went to BMW ( 04RT , 14RT )six years ago ,you'll never go back to HD ! In six years I have logged over 150,000 happy miles , just no comparison ! Enjoy your RT !

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Just waiting a bit for the rainy weather to clear to get some more miles!

Anyone care to share what their first bike was?

I got started at 13, on a Yamaha mini enduro. I enjoyed taking good care of it, and learning to do the maintenance. I rode that thing rain or shine. That was about all I would think about during the day at school. As soon as I got home, I was on it. I rode that little Yamaha until I outgrew it.

Welcome Bill! I started riding late in life at the ripe old age of 33 and my first bike was a 1982 Suzuki GS650G. My first BMW was a 1997 R1100RT and have never looked back!

An old 1960s Vespa 160 was my first "bike" at age 16. I hand-painted a big American eagle on the front of it. First real motorcycle was a big step up to a 74 Honda CB500 Four.

My first was the CB550 Honda.

I guess I was 22-ish. Maybe 1977.

Saw it from the road at a Chevy Dealership, back when gm had 60% of the US market... they are probably at 23% today.

Anyway, I convinced my Dad to co-sign.

When I arrived to pick it up, I had never ridden a motorcycle...

bicycles, minibikes..a scooter, but never a motorcycle.

It was by the service desk. We finished the paperwork and I mounted up.

Promptly fell to the side, not down, but wedged between the bike and the service desk. Helpless.

A couple guys righted me (thankfully, I was stuck) and off I went.

It was a cold day, probably round 35-40 degrees, and on the way home thru a metropark, I stopped at a toboggan run to get warmed up.

At the end of the parking lot, in a shaded area, there was ice. I hit the brakes and nearly went down. Had enough instinct and coasted off into some dead tall weeds. Made it home in one piece.

One of my favorite bikes was my 1996 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast...

Got me riding for transportation's sake.

Been looking for a modern version ever since.

The RT is pretty close.

http://moto.zombdrive.com/images/honda-pc800-pacific-coast-4.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Pacific_Coast

Edited by DMilan

OK, this is going back awhile. 1966, Honda S90. It was my road bike, dirt bike, commuter bike, all wrapped up in one. Never forget that bike, it was a blast! Had a few in between but in 1970 I bought the new candy blue/green CB750, another landmark bike for me. Cracked 125mph on thing, with around 70hp. While everyone I knew were kick starting sportsers, BSA's and Triumph's, I pushed a button and had 4 cylinders purring away. Went through a rear tire in under 3k miles!! Had an RD400 Yamaha for a few years, truly a bike way ahead of it's time. Several cross country trips on a 750 Yamaha triple in the late 70's. Nice bike, shaft drive and all. Always have been a Honda-Yamaha guy but I have to say, my RT is without doubt the finest machine I've ever ridden. Just makes me smile writing this, heh-heh......

Haven't posted in a while. My first bike was a brand new "81 Honda CX500 custom. Saved my money and had some family help to get it. Didn't even get a car until I was 21 or 22. Back when I was a "real" biker lol...being in the Northwest I rode in all weather all the time.

My first was a hand built mini-bike with a Tecumseh 2 cycle engine and centrifugal clutch. It was built by my father for me. not sure how old I was about 9 years old. Been riding many various bikes ever since.

I was 13 and bought a Sears Allstate MoPed. The pedals were important. I needed them to get up some hills. This image is from a 1960 catalog, but I probably bought it new in 1958. This one looks pretty much like my memory, but my memory doesn't go much beyond step-through, one cylinder, red, with pedals.

MopedCoralCream1960.jpg

1960 Cushman super eagle

That was what I wanted but couldn't get. Maybe they were more expensive. I don't remember.

I wanted to introduce myself as a new forum member. I'm in my upper 50's. Been riding Harley touring bikes for a number of years. Last February after some research, I decided to try a 2016 r1200rt and found it to be a phenomenal bike. Quick, excellent handling, and a fantastic suspension.

Took a ride out to the dragons tail last October from Texas. I rode out there myself and then later met some friends in Arkansas. For me, the r1200rt has been a joy to ride, it's an amazing machine.

Last week I parked the bike in my normal motorcycle parking area at work. When I came out I found where a guy in a truck hit the bike, knocking it over and did some damage to several parts. Long story short I went ahead and traded for a 2017 r1200rt. Carbon metallic. I don't have many miles yet, But the I can tell there are definite improvements to the gearbox. Smoother, quieter, and the shift assist is a bit smoother. Other than that, the 2017 is the same as the 2016. I'm glad to be a part of this forum, and I hope to contribute as well. Thanks, Bill

That is good to hear about the trans. I too am coming off a Harley touring and think I will like the RT. How does that Carbon black look ? I have decided to wait for the 2017 and I'm waiting for my dealer to get one in.

Yamaha DT1 250 around 1971 for a year or two, then nothing until 2008 - 2008 Yamaha VStar 1100. Then went into the BMW shop in 2009 looking for a helmet, and came home with a 2009 R1200RT. And a helmet. Riding that RT has sure been a joy. Nibbling a little on the new wetheads now.

John

The carbon metallic looks almost black in low ambient lighting. When brighter light hits the paint you can definitely see a blue tint. I really like the color.

My experience coming from a Harley to a BMW was that it took a little getting used to it. Getting familiar with the seat height, and the overall feel and layout of the BMW. The slight forward lean to the handlebars. I was amazed how quickly I adapted to the BMW, with the lighter weight, excellent handling and suspension. After riding the BMW for a few hundred miles I was comfortable with it. The BMW does so many things so well.

A few months ago I tested rode a Harley Limited with the Milwaukee 8. Its a nice bike but just doesn't perform anywhere near as well as the BMW. After test riding the new Harley I knew I had made the right decision going with r1200rt. Just sharing my experience.

Glad to hear from the former Harley riders that the RT was the right choice. I have been a BMW (a RT and GS) rider since 2000 and when I recently moved from my '06 RT to a 2016 RT was strongly considering a Harley Ultra Limited. I have rented a Harley Ultra Limited out west the past 5 years so have logged about 20K on the Limited. It really is a nice bike with simple maintenance and a great dealer network. Being close to retirement that made the Harley attractive. But for all the reasons noted I went with the RT. In addition the maintenance on the wet head is now 12K for valve checks and got a 5 year extended warranty. So I am all set now for 8 years!!

• 2 weeks later...
I have the best of both worlds! See my signature block below.

Haha, I kept my Harley for a couple months after buying my 2015 RT but never wanted to ride it. Thats after owning Harleys for over 10 years. I wound up selling it. Still love Harleys but just don't miss it enough to buy another one

I could never get rid of the Harley because my wife doesn't like riding on the back of the BMW. She likes the feeling of sitting on a couch, and says she sits higher than me on the RT and gets too much wind blast, along with feeling much more exposed.

That's fine, just allows me to have two great bikes.

John

I will probably always have a Harley in the garage but it will be relegated to an around town bike.I have a Nightster but would like to upgrade that to a softail slim. I can't wait to do some touring on the new RT.My riding crew is planning a trip out west again this year and they will trailer out there and I plan to ride out.

Last year we all did Colorado and I rented a new ultra limited Harley.It was nice once you get moving but going up pikes peak was not as comfortable as I would have liked just to much weight.And moving around paring lots in the mountains was just to much work for this 55 year old.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got myself a white 2017 RT 1200 as well. Will be picking it up in San Antonio on the 10th.

Congrats! I did not think I would like the white but my dealer has one on the floor a few weeks back and it looked nice. I like it better than the black (or whatever BMW Is calling it this year) but of course not as much as the Platinum Bronze :dance:

that is a beautiful sexy bike color. i would have loved the 2017 white, but got the end of the year bronze 2016. have just over 200 miles. liking it so far. Just checked out your ride trip, sounded fun. one day i'll do that too.

welcome.

Miguel