IGNORED

Prostate Biopsy

Bud

Laid awake for 4 hours last night worrying about the prostate biopsy I had scheduled for 9:15 this morning.

I want to encourage any of you that might face the procedure in the future that it was only 10 minutes and not painful and not very uncomfortable. After I was done I thought "What's the big deal."

As a reminder, continue to have your PSA checked on an annual basis and don't skip you annual wellness visit. It could save your life. :thumbsup:

The Dr called with good news, there are many treatment options available to treat prostrate cancer. Will meet later on to discuss which one would be the best for me.

I went with the robotic method for removal. In one day home the next. Three small insenuion. It has been 6 years now. Annual check up have almost zero for PSA. Side effects for me have been minor. PM if you want to talk about this.

I haven't seen the biopsy results yet. Yes, I've pretty well researched online from reliable sources the information I need to make an informed decision in conjunction with the DR as well as going to Siteman Cancer Center in St. Louis for a 2nd opinion. They are one of the leaders in prostrate cancer care/treatment.

Will have CAT scan, Bone scan and blood work on Thursday.

Appreciate everyone's comments and concern.

I'm very optimistic about the final outcome.

Update

After some false starts, the insurance company has finally agreed to the tests that my urologist ordered. I will have them at Washington County Hospital on Monday morning.

Consultation with DR on Jan 4th to determine course of treatment.

I will say I was very proactive with United Health Care regarding their delay in approving the tests. It took several calls by both my DR and me and the conversations weren't always pleasant. The woman I spoke with yesterday kept saying "I understand." as a way of deflecting answering my pointed questions about the delay. Finally I asked "Have you ever had a cancer diagnosis?" Answer "No". When I replied that I didn't think she "understood" she ended the conversation.

I've learned that one has to stay with them and advocate for your rights under your health plan. They try to maximize profit. My daughter who works in a large health care organization in Illinois encouraged me to not let up. Seems the squeaky wheel does get greased.

Also, they denied letting me talk directly to the "Pre-certification" unit to find out why they were delaying approval. Customers are not allowed to speak with them and the reps won't answer the "why" questions, only regurgitate the "it's pending" answer.

Big kudos to the staff of my urologists office. They were with me every day keeping me appraised of the situation.

So things are looking up and I'm confident that I will fully recover after the appropriate course of treatment.

Thanks to those who have contacted me and gave encouragement and wise counsel. BMWST rocks!! :clap::clap::clap:

Do you have the results of the biopsy yet? In particular, I'd be looking for the Gleason score - which will give you and your Dr a pretty good indication of the urgency of undergoing any further testing or treatment. Once you have the score it's easy to do your own research as to its significance.

Do you have the results of the biopsy yet? In particular, I'd be looking for the Gleason score - which will give you and your Dr a pretty good indication of the urgency of undergoing any further testing or treatment. Once you have the score it's easy to do your own research as to its significance.

Finally received a copy of the pathology report. Gleason Grade is 2 on a scale of 1 (most favorable) to 5 (least favorable). 7 cores showed a Gleason of 3+4=7. There is no indication of perineural invasion.

The Gleason Grade is a rather recent tool that has been accepted as a more accurate tool to use for treatment options.

Slides sent the Siteman Cancer Center where I will be getting a second opinion on Jan 6th.

Edited by Bud

Thinking about you, Bud. :wave:

My dad was diagnosed over the summer. I'm not sure he mentioned a Gleason score. But, he's 78, and his prognosis/treatment was do nothing. They told him at his age, something else would likely kill him first. Got to love them doctors. :/

Mike,

Had to LOL when I read your post Mike.

Yes, they are getting more conservative in treatment. Many early stages they now "wait and see" if it gets worse before doing anything.

As we age, the risk of going into a hospital are in and of itself rather daunting. It's a good place to pick up something really bad/life threatening. In addition, we don't heal as quickly or as well as we get older.

Laughing at myself thinking about your dad "He's not that old!"

My dad died from a heart attack at 78, thought he was having a gall bladder attack.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Bud

• 4 weeks later...

Have decided to go with radiation treatment after meeting with the surgeon and the radiation oncologist.

43 treatments. Start in about 3 weeks.

Thanks for everyone who responded, sent PM's, good thoughts and prayers.

It means a lot to be able to have first hand info from those who have been there before.

Dave McReynolds

Bud, I went through what you're going through over 10 years ago. A little different path, but the same reason. PSA tests since then have all been essentially zero, meaning prostate cancer is not a factor in my life anymore. I know that you're going to get through this, get cured, and be fine.

:thumbsup:

funny-pictures-ive-got-your-back-stick-man.jpg We got your back.

Hey! Return that! Bud has enough trouble without folks taking body parts.

:ohboy:

Maybe they will give it back when I'm done?????

:grin:

Bud - I only know you through this forum and you seem like a really good person. I hope one day to meet you just like I hope one day to do a multiple day ride west, but I digress. All i wanted to say is my prayers are with you and I believe you will be fine. It was caught early and your are taking care of it. Just endure the 43 and you will be back to feeling better in no time.

Just curious for all reading - did you have any symptoms?

Thanks for your kind words.

It was only detected by a PSA test. I felt nothing out of the ordinary.

As a caution to everyone here, my primary care physician died a couple of years ago. Being a man and having no problems, I didn't have my PSA checked again until I decided I needed to at least get an annual checkup again.

The good news is that prostate cancer isn't an aggressive form of cancer and had not escaped my prostate. In fact, I only have cancer in one side of my prostate. So the efficacy of the treatment is very high. In addition to the radiation, I will have 6 months of hormone therapy. Depresses testosterone which will shrink my prostate as well a suppress further cancer. There are three side effects of hormone therapy according to my urologist: 1. Reduced libido. 2. Moodiness and night sweats. 3. Enhance my feminine side so I will want to go shopping for shoes more often. :rofl:

If you are a urologist, you have to have a sense of humor.

They will implant 3 gold beads into my prostate next week. They serve as markers to better focus the radiation to only my prostate. This help minimize damage to surrounding tissues. I also get 3 tattoos. The are external reference points used to initially line up the radiation, then they take a scan to locate the beads, then they adjust the table on which you lay to fine tune everything. I asked for one of them to be the roundel and another the motoman. Seems they are only able to do small dots that will be "almost not noticeable". Darn the luck.

Pretty high tech, most likely expensive.

I only wish that it was 50 years from now. By then, a patient would take one pill. Based on nano-technology, it would contain particles that would hunt down and kill only cancer cells, leaving all other tissue unharmed. One and done and no surgery.

In my grandkids lifetime that will be a reality.

I just want to say there are much worse things than prostate cancer.

Those who know me know I'm the luckiest SOB on this forum.

Wife of 49 years who still loves me, perhaps now more than ever.

3 self supporting kids married to their only spouse.

6 healthy grandkids.

A roof over my head, food on the table, a Beemer in the garage, a wife who doesn't mind my motorcycle addiction (but yesterday questioned why I'm wanting a sidecar rig), a physical and virtual support system and, since retirement, Nancy and I have traveled extensively.

I grateful for everyone here who has reached out in different ways. The posts, PM's and phone calls have meant more than you will ever know!

:clap::clap::clap::wave:

Edited by Bud

Bud,

Good luck!

I've had three prostate biopsies over the last three years. Cancer detected is Gleason 3+3. I have chosen Active Surveillance instead of treatment at this time. That is after four Dr. opinions. Two surgeons and two radiation oncologists.

I have PSA quarterly and a biopsy annually. In my group there men who have been on this program for up to 15 years with no increase in cancer.

Bud,

Good luck!

I've had three prostate biopsies over the last three years. Cancer detected is Gleason 3+3. I have chosen Active Surveillance instead of treatment at this time. That is after four Dr. opinions. Two surgeons and two radiation oncologists.

I have PSA quarterly and a biopsy annually. In my group there men who have been on this program for up to 15 years with no increase in cancer.

You are lucky! Happy for you and you most likely will be that way forever, well until something else get ya!.. :grin:

With my 3+4=7, I didn't have that choice..

• 4 weeks later...

10 years ago at the young age of 50 and with NO (zero, nada) symptoms I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. After researching and getting pointed to a Dept. head at Duke Medical center who HAD prostate cancer at the time he told me that if HE could so anything for his he would go to Ohio State and have Vip Patel to the robotic surgery. Off i went to Columbus OH and after meeting with Dr. Patel I was certain HE was the only one I would want to do my surgery. Patel has now done over 9500 surgeries and HE is the one who teaches the robotic procedure to other doctors around the country. Today 10 years later I am cancer free and have NO side effects everyone warns you about. I credit my recovery to the skill of the surgeon. There are a handful of surgeons around the country that are experts at prostate surgery. I always tell folks to GET tested and ignore the BS about the PSA showing too many false positives. Sure 80% of prostate cancer is slow and may never kill you but is some cases it can and it is said to be one of the most painful cancers to die from. Get tested and go to a good surgeon. Do you really want anyone less than an expert messing with your plumbing??

He has since moved to Celebration Florida.

https://www.floridahospital.com/doctor/vipul-r-patel-md-1942259908

Ed,

Happy to hear of your positive results. 50 is a perfect age. If I was that age I would also have had the surgery. I met with the Chief Urological Surgeon at Washington University in St. Louis. He has performed over 2,000 robotic surgeries. I believe he is experienced and competent to successfully perform the surgery.

He said if I were 50 or even 60, he wouldn't be concerned. He didn't refuse to do the surgery. He cautioned me that because of my age and other factors, the recovery could take longer and the risk of permanent incontinence was higher, 25%. He said the cure rate would be the same a radiation. Of course it's all about the odds.

Everyone has to make their own assessment about the risk/reward of any treatment option.

Early detection is they key. Getting PSA tests starting at 40 is not too early.

Cancer Sux

Life is good!

Dave McReynolds
Early detection is they key. Getting PSA tests starting at 40 is not too early.

I agree. Whenever a study comes out about the statistical benefits (or lack thereof) of PSA tests and mammograms, my inclination would be to ignore the statistical studies and get the tests anyway. It's fine to say that there is a lower statistical probability of discovering cancer through these tests than there is of getting false positives. However, if you have prostate or breast cancer and don't get the tests, you're screwed. I don't think you're going to take much comfort in being a statistical improbability in that case.

I'm hanging on you guys' every word...urologist appointment on Wednesday after getting a less than encouraging scan done. Something as simple as inability to fully empty your bladder needs to be checked out in a timely manner.

Getting older is not always pretty but sure beats the alternative.

Edited by mickeym3
I'm hanging on you guys' every word...urologist appointment on Wednesday after getting a less than encouraging scan done. Something as simple as inability to fully empty your bladder needs to be checked out in a timely manner.

Hoping for the best for you Jim. But since you are in Savannah you are close enough to Florida to at least get a consult from Dr. Patel is the result point to surgery. I am convinced the surgeon makes all the difference. In fact I would ask your doc if he has heard of Vip Patel. I suspect being in GA. he has. Good luck !! Like my local urologist told me when I was diagnosed ... you are going to die ... just not from THIS! !!

• 3 weeks later...

Bud,

All the best to you! You're an inspiration for a level-headed approach to fighting cancer. And good reminders for us all.

Yes indeed! Wishing the best possible outcome for you, as well, Jim.

Edited by TyTass

Been lurking, wishing you both the very best! For whatever it's worth, a friend had his prostate when he was in his mid 60's - they did the robotic thing. Heavy drinker and smoker. He's doing well 3 years out, I think he had some small bladder control issues initially, but everything is water tight again.

Thanks.

Tomorrow morning I will be half done. The time has gone by quickly. I love the weekends to recuperate. Took a walk in the woods Saturday with my son's 2 German Short Hair Pointers. Good for them, good for me.

Glad to hear your friend is doing well.

Life is good. :thumbsup: