IGNORED

BMW Rep Rom not working

AnotherLee

Program was working in CD/DVD drive but now stopped.

When I click on setup.exe it displays the "select language" screen. I click on English and press enter. Then it shows a partial version of the select language screen and gets stuck there. Here is the screen in the stuck display:

BMW%20Stuck.png

I get the same problem on both desktop and laptop.

The date on the DVD is 07/2001. It is an official DVD bought from Motobins several years ago. Could this be a compatibility problem with windows 10? I don't use if often and may have installed win10 since it last worked.

Trying to copy it to a disc folder yielded only a link to the DVD.

Any help appreciated.

Dig down through the folders on the disk, and ultimately you'll find that the manual is just a collection of PDF files. You can copy the PDFs to your drive. You won't get the fancy user interface for navigation (which I've never seen, since I'm a Mac user), but it's not hard to figure out which file you need.

I tried the install on my copy. It hung.

Doesn't matter. What Bill said is correct. The end result is to have one big pdf file and use Adobe to read it.

If you look on the CD you will find a directory named "DATEN"

Open that and you will find a directory named "ENG"

Open that and you will find a file named "R1150RTG.PDF"

Copy that file to some convenient place and open it with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Stan

You won't get the fancy user interface for navigation

What fancy interface??? I don't have one either and I'm on a windows 10 system!

Stan

I'm not sure if Win10 is the same, but Win 7 has options to run in "compatibility mode", so that programs can work as if they are on an older OS. Sometimes works, sometimes not. Try a right-click on setup.exe and see what options you are given.

Edited by lkraus

Thank you all for responding.

I tried right clicking on setup.exe and a "troubleshooter" started up. I ran it and it recommended testing before clicking "next". Testing went OK and it asked if I wanted to always start up "setup.exe" in compatability mode. I said yes.

So I started setup.exe and it told me "due to my system configuration" it couldn't open in protected mode unless I agreed to open with protected mode disabled. So I said OK, do that and it opened the familiar adobe interface.

If I sound confused it's because I am but I can open it now, each time choosing to disable protected mode. :wave: Thanks again, guys!

Edited by TheOtherLee

Stan - your method also worked. I opened files as you suggested and finally opened "R1150RTG.PDF" with my favorite pdf file reader, SumatraPDF, which for me is faster and simpler than adobe. Thank you!

I'm glad that worked. It occurred to me later that you can also right click the program, select Properties and then the Compatibility tab. This might be quicker than the trouble shooting process and, I think, the settings are remembered. I'm sorry I can't be more certain about this as I seldom use these options.

I've had some success running a newer version from my computer without the DVD, but it took a many hours to transfer the hundreds of thousands of files. You need to copy all the files and the directory structure, not just the executable program.

Edited by lkraus
You won't get the fancy user interface for navigation

What fancy interface??? I don't have one either and I'm on a windows 10 system!

Stan

Then why the hell does it even need to run a setup.exe? What, if anything, does it install?

Then why the hell does it even need to run a setup.exe? What, if anything, does it install?]

Well, it does allow you to select the desired language....