IGNORED

Anti Fog Products

Red

Anti fog products I've tried don't seem to perform (for me) as advertised. I've tried the green spray on stuff that you see at all the nationals. Doesn't work well for me.

At the Bloomsburg, PA rally I bought a wax product called Z-clear. It doesn't work well either.

The confounding aspect is that these products work great in the demo at the rally. Not in cold/wet/fog. I hypothesize that the demo uses steam on glass on a hot day as opposed to hot breath on a cold and/or humid day.

Does anybody have a recommendation for defogging eyeglasses product?

When you find one that works, let me know. I would be glad to offer it for sale. Probably quit making clutch baskets and windshield. Wouldn't need that income if I had a true fogged up shield or glasses solution!

I have tried many things over the years, including rubbing a freshly sliced potato over the shield.

I bought a Scorpion helmet, then a new Bell Star helmet because they have shields that don't fog. Especially the Bell Star, it is amazing. But there is no way to add that unique property to a shield. Yet.

I hate pin lock shields, I would love to have another Shoei helmet but they don't have a fog proof shield.

For eyeglasses I found a product called "Cat Crap Anti Fog" at a ski store maybe 15 years ago. Works great but you do have to apply every other day on a long stint as is the norm.

We took it to NZ back in '05 for our Edelweiss tour and though we only got rained on it once, it was a fierce, warm, humid rain. We shared it with our riding mates and we were very popular after .

It comes in a paste or liquid spray.

You can buy on Amazon so if you don't think it's great, you can return it, but I bet you don't ! ( if you follow the directions)

The little paste container lasts forever or until you lose it or leave it open and it dries out.

+1 on the Cat Crap

I applied to inside of shield/glasses.

Then got first pinlok and it worked great/

Then Scorpion w/anti fog, worked for a couple years, replaced visor.

No perfect long term solution, esp if you wear glasses.

old ski goggles trick works pretty darn good...not sure on shield.

get very dry bar of soap with no oils, softeners or perfumes.... rub it on, flake it off......

+1 on the Cat Crap

I applied to inside of shield/glasses.

Then got first pinlok and it worked great/

Then Scorpion w/anti fog, worked for a couple years, replaced visor.

No perfect long term solution, esp if you wear glasses.

pinlock has worked great for me in rain and cold. no issues with the glasses either.

aggieengineer
Anti fog products I've tried don't seem to perform (for me) as advertised. I hypothesize that the demo uses steam on glass on a hot day as opposed to hot breath on a cold and/or humid day.

I think you're correct. I've tried three products with only slight success. A much more realistic test would be to chill the visor in a refrigerator (or ice chest) and then expose it to warm air. I've never seen any demonstrator do that. I'm using Pinlock on days when fogging is a problem. That actually works.

Again, the product test uses steam on what is probably a warm ambient temperature. That said if users on this forum have tested the product on cold days with moist breath, then the proof is in the puddin.

So, one last query. The product is tested and is safe on visors. My biggest problem is not the visor, it is my spectacles. Is Cat Shit safe for plastic lenses with all of the modern miracle coatings?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I had zero luck with everything until I went to a fog mask (product name Respro seems to ring a bell). It wasn't very comfortable, but stopped my, apparently very moist, exhalations from going upward. You might try that. i didn't wear glasses except for sun and, on a couple of cold days, it seemed to work. Eventually, a helmet change and pinlock worked.

While you can crack the visor in cold temps to help clear the fog from it, I find that solution not too good for riding in the rain. I want the visor SEALED so there is no rain drops on the back side. Those don't blow off or seem to ever dry up. So a good fitting, latched tight visor is the only way to eliminate that. So far the Bell Star is as close to fog-proof as you could get. The Scorpion is in second place. The Shoei with pinlock works, but I really do NOT like looking through it. Don't know what they do to these visors, I wish I could buy a pair of clear glasses with that coating as well!

While you can crack the visor in cold temps to help clear the fog from it, I find that solution not too good for riding in the rain. I want the visor SEALED so there is no rain drops on the back side. Those don't blow off or seem to ever dry up. So a good fitting, latched tight visor is the only way to eliminate that. So far the Bell Star is as close to fog-proof as you could get. The Scorpion is in second place. The Shoei with pinlock works, but I really do NOT like looking through it. Don't know what they do to these visors, I wish I could buy a pair of clear glasses with that coating as well!

Shoei gt-air, pin lock and glasses here. Don't even notice the pin lock being there, and no fog on any layer.

I find that pinlock works great during the day but at night the halo/ghosting I get (because of the double pane?) with on-coming headlight traffic is extremely annoying to me.

I find that pinlock works great during the day but at night the halo/ghosting I get (because of the double pane?) with on-coming headlight traffic is extremely annoying to me.

+1

I haven't been able to use a pinlock without getting fog between the hydrophobic membrane and the face shield. I've worked the little cams around until they are placing the maximum pressure and still there is always a small spot that allows my breath to get behind and fog the face shield. It's even worse, in fact, than no pinlock because with the pinlock in place an open face shield won't evaporate the fog. 5 different pinlock face shields on two different helmets have done this, I now expect it.

Do the Bell helmets have a hydrophobic face shield? Or any manufacturer? I ride year round and commute to work and sure would be nice on those 18 degree days to be able to close my face shield, let alone the 37 degree rainy ones....

I haven't been able to use a pinlock without getting fog between the hydrophobic membrane and the face shield. I've worked the little cams around until they are placing the maximum pressure and still there is always a small spot that allows my breath to get behind and fog the face shield. It's even worse, in fact, than no pinlock because with the pinlock in place an open face shield won't evaporate the fog. 5 different pinlock face shields on two different helmets have done this, I now expect it.

Just as a check: you're removing the yellow film from the Pinlock insert, right? I've seen people complaining on other forums about their "clear" Pinlock insert actually being yellow and not working; turns out they didn't remove the thin plastic film from the side that contacts the visor.

Do the Bell helmets have a hydrophobic face shield? Or any manufacturer? I ride year round and commute to work and sure would be nice on those 18 degree days to be able to close my face shield, let alone the 37 degree rainy ones....

I cannot guarantee you the results I have seen, but the NEW Bell Star helmets with the panoramic style visors are all but absolutely fog proof. Ater about 2 hours in upper 40 degree rain I noticed a bit of condensation on the left lower part from where my ( bent ) nose directs breath onto that area. Did not block my vision. This allowed me to keep the shield locked all the way down. Which means almost no rain could get behind it. I also have a Scorpion helmet, bought after seeing how well my Sons Scorpion did, that is pretty good. I does build up some fog or condensation under some conditions, but nothing like the Shoei visor would do or others before it.

I just rode in the rain the first time with my new scorpion last night. Dang thing fogged right up! My previous scorpion was fog free for at least a couple of years. Sigh.

I've ordered one of these for my Nolan N-104; we'll see how well it works:

Elec_Shield_3__62356.1413309694.350.513.jpg

Laura had those on a couple of her snowmachine helmets when we were tundra dwellers - they worked very well (though she did have to keep the battery back inside her parka when it was really cold). If your helmet it currently quiet, I wonder what the wiring will do to your wind noise....